[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Gothic2.png (1.34 MB, 1182x670)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>"Me warrior, me swing sword and guard. Me mage, me do fireball. Me thief, me steal stuff."
>"Beep Boop, can you kill 5 wolves or fetch stick? Thanks, here is coin, Beep Boop"

Does this shit ever get any less comically repetitive, drab, uninspired and unrewarding after a certain point

? It feels like someone literally tried doing everything in their power to design the most generic, zero-effort classes, factions, stories and mechanics imaginable. Like, there are plenty of games that try going for something and fails, this is one of the only RPG's out of thousands I've played where everything just goes out of its way to be as mundane and unexciting as possible.

Did I fall for one giant meme by playing this?

>"It's an old game"

Morrowind in 3D is older, not to mention Planescape or Arcanum.
>>
>>3620321
It's a German game.
>>
>>3620322
That explains everything. Also the lack of jokes.
>>
>>3620321
>Did I fall for one giant meme by playing this?
Yes
>>
File: face-birdy.jpg (15 KB, 318x228)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>3620321
C for effort, that's the best I can do.
>>
>>3620322
/thread
>if you want to live, you have to work and pay tax
>>
>>3620321
Skill issue
>>
Who cares gramps
Nobody gives a shit about your old fart games
They are literally older than Skyrim and that's almost 15 years old fossil of a game
>>
>>3620436
>Who cares
you
>>
Beep boop no fuck off zoomer nigger
Either v or reddit is your place
>>
dis kraut mad
>>
>>3620321
>Did I fall for one giant meme by playing this?
No, it's a great game.

>>"Beep Boop, can you kill 5 wolves or fetch stick?
That makes sense if you look like a hobo (not joined any faction yet). If you don't then you've run into this quest later than it was intended.
>>
>>3620321
It's just forklift simulator dressed up as an rpg, but with less things to do.
>>
>>3620815
>That makes sense
not really
>hey stranger can you kill 5 exactly 5 wolves ill trust you if you say you did it
>>
Can someone explain to me how the progression system in Gothic and Dragon Quest differs? Because Gothic seems like a 1:1 normalfag jrpg.
>>
>>3620855
weapon progress is tied to level grind
armor progression is tied to story progressions
but fundamentally Gothic is souls-like, you can whittle down endgame bosses with starter weapon if you have little bit of skill and plenty of patience
>>
>>3620321
Your problem is that you started with Gothic 2 instead of 1.
>>
>>3620867
>Gothic is souls-like, you can whittle down endgame bosses with starter weapon if you have little bit of skill and plenty of patience
that's what makes it not an rpg
>>
>>3620867
>weapon progress is tied to level grind
>armor progression is tied to story progressions
This is how both DQ and Gothic work.
>but fundamentally Gothic is souls-like
No, its like Dragon Quest. Its split up into acts where you have a maximal amount of gear progression that enables you to break through the ceiling to the next act and repeat the loop.
>you can whittle down endgame bosses with starter weapon if you have little bit of skill and plenty of patience
You can do this in just about any faux rpg with a badly designed ruleset.
>>
>>3620855
In Dragon Quest you can use the seeds to increase stats at any time, in gothic you have to save all the stat increases towards the end for optimum usage. Huge difference.
>>
>>3620867
>but fundamentally Gothic is souls-like, you can whittle down endgame bosses with starter weapon if you have little bit of skill and plenty of patience
Sort of bullshit. In G1 only crits would bypass the armor if your damage was under the threshold. Which is why enemies would go from near impossible to dead in three hits even with minor damage upgrades.
>>
>>3620880
Fair.
>>
File: 1701235536839797.jpg (52 KB, 750x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>3620321
>Morrowind in 3D is older
you're are not actually implying morrowind quests are less simple and fetchy aren't you? There's no way right?
>>
>>3620877
>weapon progress is tied to level grind
>This is how both DQ and Gothic work
do dragon quest requires you to have a certain level of skill or stat to wield a weapon?
>>
>>3620877
>No, its like Dragon Quest. Its split up into acts where you have a maximal amount of gear progression that enables you to break through the ceiling to the next act and repeat the loop
Not true, because you can buy the best weapons in the game since chapter one, but you can't wield them until you have the required stat. Which also can be gotten in the first few levels if you know what you're doing. There's nothing "fixed" in the sense that it is impossible to get until you reach a certain part of the game. And this is amazing progression tho, because is very hard resisting cheesing the game out when you can get the best gear in the beginning and you have no penalties for wielding it level 1. You still will have a lot of advantage and get it sooner if you metagame tho
>>
>>3620884
you always do 1 damage even if dont break the armour threshold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mMmsGSoki0
>>
>>3621019
>Not true, because you can buy the best weapons in the game since chapter one
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Gothic_II/Weapons
This lists the weapons and what act they can be acquired in. Power level is clearly split into chapters.
>>
>>3621030
That's Gothic 2, anon. They changed the damage formula for that game. In Gothic 1 you either deal damage above the armor, or you deal no damage at all.
>>
>>3620847
>>hey stranger can you kill 5 exactly 5 wolves ill trust you if you say you did it
high trust society, a concept zoomers can't understand since they're all materialistic golems.
>>
>>3621009
Did you really think he compared it to Dragon Quest for ANY other reason besides pissing you and a few others off?
>>
>>3621376
So you're saying he was just coincidentally 100% correct?
>>
>>3621376
Don't worry, I know he's doing it in bad faith. I've seen that same anon writing the same for at least 1 year. Always avatarfagging with a trannime pic related
>>
Man, /vrpg/ really is the most bottom of the barrel board.
>>
>>3620321
Gothic is like.. so awesome. I should play it again.
>>
>>3622731
Blame zoomers
>>
>>3621019
In G1 you can acquire and wield best 1h sword in the game within 1 hour of gameplay if you know what you're doing, in G2 NOTR you can acquire 2nd best sword* in the game within first hour of gameplay if you know what you're doing.
2nd best with an asterisk because it depends on your faction it's actually the best sword if you're a mage, second best for paladin or dragon hunter
There are like a million ways to break the power curve in all gothic games.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.