[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: print_08.jpg (969 KB, 1320x1020)
969 KB
969 KB JPG
I just play strategy games for the pretty buildings and cool soldier sprites
>>
>>1670532
Is that from RoN?
>>
>>1670532
Those cities from Rise of Nations were super comfy to look at. You can even imagine you citizens living in them, walking around and such
>>
>>1670655
They are THE BEST sprites of all time. It's no wonder everyone went for 3d after that because there's just no competition.
>>
RoN was the first game to redpill me. Well it opened the door. The cold war campaign specifically, then Alexander.

Microsoft used to actually teach you shit and disguise it as a game. The fuck happened to them.

Also Germany gets so many unique units and their general in the modern age is keke
>>
>>1670532
>>
>>1670852
Cold war campaign convinced me the only thing the communists did wrong was not murdering more capitalists.
>>
>>1670832
>They are THE BEST sprites of all time
Exactly. Also the unit models, with each culture having its own skin, was awesome. I wish more strategy games did this by default
>>
>>1670532
Very king attitude, anon. Proud of you.
>>
>>1670948
>capitalist: someone who invests their own money into the economy in the hope of getting more money back
So they didn't kill any? I can see why you are dissapointed.
>>
>>1670532
Reinstalled RoN because of this thread. Never played the campaigns, might do that.
>>
>>1670532
Out of all the civs the only two that get 100% exclusive architecture are the US and Korea
Literally why
>>
>>1671129
Makes sense. They are the only 2 real great powers. America doesn't come close to pre-hyperwar Korea, but it could get there.
>>
>>1671121
You will never win the campaigns because the unit stats are bugged in ronee
>>
>>1670532
Finally someone "literally me (tm)", brooo look at cossacks and american conquest, the architecture is just so fucking beautiful
>>
>>1671753
Yeah. I was between posting it or RoN for the OP. American Conquest is like the first game I can remember to not just give Aztec architecture to the Incas.
>>
>>1671129
Huh? I could swear that they did the same thing as in Age of Empires and Korea falls under the same asian architecture group as Japan, Mongolia and China
You've almost convinced me to check it out
>>
>>1671753
Cossacks 1 is nuts, exclusive architecture for every single civilization
>>
>>1671526
Nevermind, I'll never beat it because the game crashes randomly.
>>
>>1671904
And that's based beyond belief. We'll never reach this level of SOVL again.
>>
>>1670532
Would you reccomend realism invictus for this
>>
>>1672004
*recommend
>>
>>1671876
It's unique, OP's picture is Korean architecture. Chinese, Japanese and Mongol use dark rooves
>>
>>1672015
>>
I love dropping nukes on those little cities
>>
File: RoN Asians.jpg (1.77 MB, 3028x1043)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
I made these architectural comparisons when I got the DE a few years back
>>
File: RoN Sultans.jpg (1.65 MB, 3056x1047)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>
File: RoN The_West.jpg (1.6 MB, 3060x1033)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>
File: RoN Latinos.jpg (1.71 MB, 3056x1033)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>
File: RoN Tepees.jpg (898 KB, 2976x527)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
>>
File: RoN Castles.jpg (824 KB, 1878x1058)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
Globalism's standarization or a lack of time for more art details?
I should crop in the Koreans
>>
>>1672504
EE2 did something similar for the futuristic eras and africans.
Africans are pretty much the NA natives of that game in content.
>>
>>1672504
FUCK the forts in Enlightment. I used a mod a while ago to keep them as castles.
To be fair, RoN has a real rough transition from Enlightment to Industrial. Games should always end before that.
>>
>>1672068
Can you get all of the modern Asian city in focus? It's cut off a little at the bottom.

Or if you can even get all of the modern cities together, that would be excellent.
>>
>>1672504
The issue is that as far as military goes there isn't much room for fleur. Every bunker starts to look the same after a while and these days even tanks and guns are all becoming the best average product instead of having variations.
That said, Empire Earth 2 did have variations of industrial era forts, as one should.
>>1672522
EE2's African architecture is all Hausa and Ghana stuff, but all the african nations on the game aren't from that region, kinda funky.
Then again, all of EE2's architecture is odd. All of Europe sharing the same architecture makes it so no civ feels represented at all. Greeks at the iron age are in huts, norse in the classical age are in roman temples. The Middle East is all beduin huts until the Islamic age, which is kinda absurd when Babylon is playable.
>>
File: N8ED9Np.jpg (371 KB, 1914x778)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>1671129
The weirdest case ought to be Civ 5 giving a unique style to the Polynesians of all civs.
>>
File: hp_05_full.jpg (622 KB, 1024x791)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>1672643
http://mojojason.blogspot.com/2012/05/rise-of-nations-buildings.html?m=1
Unfortunately, the "rest" of his building spirtes are low decal
>>
Why didn't RoN have Arabs?
No Egyptians don't cut it. It's a different continent entirely.
>>
>>1672764
Straight up connecting ancient Egypt to arabic Egypt is an insult.
There are multiple nations which are missing for no apparent reason in RoN
Portuguese, any Nords, any Slavs other than Russians, Southeast Asians (both mainland and islanders)...
The linking of Romans to Italians irks me just a slightly bit.
But hey, you can play as ancient Americans and near-future natives!
>>
>>1672882
>There are multiple nations which are missing for no apparent reason in RoN
I mean the apparent reason is that you can't just put every nation in the game. It was already pushing its budget enough.
>>
>>1672884
>you can't just put every nation in the game
Age of Empires 2 can add 4 flavours of Indians, Age of Empires 3 can add multiple colonial nations, Rise of Nations has no voice acting whatsoever, It is literally 70% sprite/model work. and maybe 20% distinguishing mechanics.
The fact that the Extended Edition added no content at all proves that the game was ignoreed.
>>
>>1672888
>proves that the game was ignoreed.
Yes that is what not having a budget means.
>>
>>1670532
The sprites from RoN spoiled me. I keep listening to people still rave about the Empire Earth games, but I have never been able to get into them just because of the hideous 3D models. Maybe if I played them back when they first released I wouldn't be so picky, but RoN still holds up visually for me.
>>
>>1672893
Sprites will ALWAYS age better than 3D.
90s/early 2000s city builders are the ultimate proof
>>
>>1671129
America and Korea were (and still are) huge video game markets, so I guess the developers simply decided to acknowledge this make them feel special and boost sales further. Or something.

>>1672735
I suppose assigning them the Asian style would be slightly weird feeling, but by the same logic they probably should have given the African civs a unique style at some point.

>>1672741
Thank you kindly! A pity he didn't have a high-res version, but this will still do, that one Asian city was my favorite anyway.

>>1672893
It's a truly beautiful game. I admit one of the reasons Civ V is so beloved by me despite Civ IV being better and VI more complex is because I'm a huge sucker for art deco. I want Civ IV with V's graphics, somehow.
>>
>>1672962
>America and Korea were (and still are) huge video game markets, so I guess the developers simply decided to acknowledge this make them feel special and boost sales further. Or something.
I can definitely see why America got its own building style. The western European style during the Gunpower/Enlightenment age just flat out looks like European old timey architecture, quite different from the iconic colonial style in America at that time. America was also added in the DLC, so the developers also probably wanted to do something different with them instead of them just making another stat swapped western European nation.

Korea on the other hand, I have no idea why they got a unique building style all to themselves. I've been looking it up and I haven't found anything yet, and the developers and publishers were all American. However, I do have a couple of theories on why. Maybe they were planning on giving every nation a unique building style but they were only able to finish Korea's before they ran out of time. They could have had some Koreans or someone who mastered in Korean history or whatever high up in the ranks of either the developers or publishers and were really adamant in the idea that Korea was a lot different culturally and/or architecturally to deserve their own building style. Maybe the developers felt that China, Japan, and Korea felt too similar and therefore wanted one of them to get a unique style. They could have also just wanted their game to become the next StarCraft in Korea and gave them a unique style to try and butter them up.
>>
>>1670532
There's a small but pretty neat article on IGN that has one of the developers briefly talk about the sprite design choices in the Thrones and Patriots DLC. Here it is if any of you guys are interested in reading it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/03/02/rise-of-nations-thrones-and-patriots-4
>>
>>1673029
I wonder why they didn't update Egyptians and Turks to use Persian and Indian units instead. Would fit a lot better than the jarring european soldiers they got.
>>
>>1673583
still better than the negros with turkish architecture.
>>
>>1673583
Probably either that they couldn't be bothered or that they wanted to leave the base game nations untouched.
>>
>>1670532
I like getting the sick surround and utilizing terrain
>>
and optimizing my buildings and build order
>>
>>1673619
>negros with turkish architecture
So, modern day turkey?
>>
>>1670532
Total War 3 Chinamen has some nice looking buildings.
>>
>>1674237
>>
>>1674237
>>1674239
That's just art though. They aren't sprites.
>>
>>1670532
I love building upgrades.
>>
I really liked Rise of Nations when I played it. I don't recall too much about it, but it was a blast.
>>
>>1671129
Probably the artist started to make unique architecture for everyone and eventually ran out time. I find it hard to believe Russia wouldn't have a unique set of sprites though, are they in the European group?
>>
>>1676430
It's fun in a "dumping all your toys into a pile and banging GI Joe against Conan the Barbarian" kind of way, but the game has some truly abysmal balance and the in game art and sound quality is really fucking low for a game from 2003.
>>
>>1670532
I like seeing peasants walking around doing their tasks
>>
>>1670832
all well and good, they are very appealing, but they're definitely made by capturing an image of a 3d model, with some manual touch-up and detailing afterwards
>>
>>1676581
>abysmal balance
not unplayable but the blatant rock paper scissors with almost zero differences between normal and national units is in fact sad
>in game art [...] is really fucking low for a game from 2003
"i disagree" would be an understatement, both buildings and units look solid
>sound quality [...] is really fucking low for a game from 2003
yeah i can agree here, lots of bland and/or bad sfx
>>
>>1677935
>"i disagree" would be an understatement, both buildings and units look solid
I mean, the buildings look fine but the landscapes look fucking terrible. I guess this leans more towards map design, but everything is fucking barren except for the cities. Look at AoE 2 or even AoE 1 for that matter with loads of little art doodads to brighten up the maps.
>>
>>1678604
Yeah I gotta admit, I reinstalled because of this thread and it's ugly as sin. Good sprites alone can't make a game look good if they are implemented poorly in a browny yellow mess. The game is quite ugly.
>>
>>1670832
>They are THE BEST sprites of all time.
they were 3D art tho'
>>
man I tried to play RoN EE and was getting my ass devastated on the alexander hard campaign

turns out the latest re-release had completely destroyed the balance and enemy proohs were completely superpowered. burned me out on the game.

also it's funny how the only real strat to beat AI is to spam cities ASAP
>>
>>1678650
it's the strat for all factions, not just AI. Works in MP too. Land control ownership directly contributes to your income and attrition range.
>>
>>1671129
America gets exclusive architecture for just ONE FUCKING AGE
>>
File: 20240220144854_1.jpg (744 KB, 1920x1080)
744 KB
744 KB JPG
what's the comfiest tileset and tell me it's not the Tropical
>>
>>1679231
I personally like Cold Steppe.
>>
>>1679231
Jungle and early Autumn are pretty nice.
>>
>>1671129
Well, the game is from 2004, strategy rts unfortunately usually don't give a shit about historically accurate uniforms or architecture, even more so back then. RoN was a very welcome exception imo

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.