[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1681753634932141.jpg (9 KB, 259x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
What was that idiom describing doing something that causes great damage in order to solve a smaller problem? Something like burning the barn down to kill a few mice.
>>
Not sure as i am not a native speaker, but "burning bridges", maybe?
>>
>>1441792
I think burning bridges is completely different. Afaik it means ending connections between someone,
>>
Burning bridges has a different meaning, yes. I found this through googling:
>Cutting off your nose to spite your face
Though I believe it applies mainly to acts of revenge or retribution.
>Throwing the baby out with the bathwater
But instead of solving a problem it may apply more to just getting rid of unwanted things.
>Burning the village in order to save it
Actual quote from US soldiers in the Vietnam war, don't know if it's a common idiom.
>Burning down the barn to kill the rats
This is an actual idiom, y'know. Not certain if you were looking for a similar one or you just weren't sure it existed.
>>
>>1441785
Mebbe 'Throwing the baby out with the bathwater'.
'Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut' is similar tho not quite what you're asking for.
Or there's always the 'Pyrrhic victory' (a tactical victory at too great a cost to count as a real, strategic victory).
>>
>>1441799
>Burning down the barn to kill the rats
>This is an actual idiom, y'know. Not certain if you were looking for a similar one or you just weren't sure it existed.
I guess I just imagined another more popular idiom with the same meaning then. Thanks
>>
>>1441785
idiom (noun) - a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words
>Something like burning the barn down to kill a few mice.
Deducible, therefore not an idiom.
>Burning the village in order to save it
An oxymoron, but not an idiom.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face? (I don't think its an idiom either.)
>>
>>1441933
What do you call it then?
>>
>>1441935
Proverbs.
>>
>>1441941
Do you have a proverb or idiom for a situation where you are enlightened on a topic?
>>
>>1441785
pyrrhic victory
>>
>>1441943
"See the light."
>>
>>1441785
To crack a nut with a sledgehammer.
>>
>>1442684
That means "overdoing it" or "using way more effort/resources than needed". It's different from solving a small problem by causing a bigger problem or by causing bigger damage than what the small problem would have caused.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.