[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (5 KB, 250x186)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Let's say hypothetically that we took our stock solar system and replaced the 4 gas giants with a low end red dwarf star like Proxima Centauri, giving the two stars roughly 15 AU of separation (and leaving the inner solar system unchanged).

How different would the climate on Earth be because of this? It would still receive the overwhelming majority (i.e 99%) of stellar radiation from the main sun, with the other sun being just a bit brighter than a full moon.
>>
about three fifty
>>
>>16180813
>It would still receive the overwhelming majority (i.e 99%) of stellar radiation from the main sun, with the other sun being just a bit brighter than a full moon.
OK
>How different would the climate on Earth be because of this?
no difference
>>
>>16180813
Surprisingly, this wouldn't necessarily destabilize Earth's orbit.

To answer the question: Proxima Centaui luminosity = 0.0017 sols. That's basically how much less light Earth would receive if it was orbiting Proxima at 1 AU. At its closest approach to Earth at 14 AU distance (when they are on the same side of the sun), it would be 196 times weaker than that, so 0.00000867346 sols. That is an absolutely negligible contribution. If a planet was in orbit around Proxima alone at a semi-major axis of 14 AU, it would be colder than a witches teet.
>>
>>16180813

Why do you want to know this?
>>
File: 1537528615646.png (133 KB, 680x545)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
I unironically would love to see a speculative alternative history of the American space program and its missions to the red dwarf.

Just for fun I'd have two planets orbiting the dwarf, including one in the habitable zone with water.
>>
>>16180859
>colder than a witches teet.
Is that an actual saying? I thought the retard said it in the book because it sounds stupid.
>>
>>16180813
>with the other sun being just a bit brighter than a full moon
What would the consequences be towards human belief systems and astrology? Would people categorise it as an entirely separate star, or just consider it a really big planet?
>>
>>16182592

First time I heard it
>>
>>16182668
It would look like a lightbulb in the sky.
>>
>>16182668

It would be treated just as a very bright star.

They would take about 80 years to orbit each other.
>>
>>16182668
It would just look like a star. It would probably be treated similarly to another planet until telescopes.
>>
>>16183639
>>16183644
I think it could do the opposite, and make people realize that the sun is just one of the stars.
>>
>>16183639
For a long time, peple didn't know the difference. To wit: Antares is "anti Ares" - opposing Ares which we today know better as Mars.
>>
>>16180859
IDK as much about astro as you do but wasnt proxima centaury classified a flare star and the excursions in intensity were said to be orders of magnitude and emissions were heavy in UV and even xray ? When looking at the nunbers you gave 'several orders of magnitude' might be getting somewhere into the territory where it could cause disturbances when flaring.
>>
>>16184440
Only if you're on top of the thing, close enough to receive liquid water temperature type energy
>>
>>16182293
would it be called laythe?
>>
>>16184629

Why?
>>
>>16183076
where the fuck are you guys from?
>>
>>16182293

What kind of ayys would live on the habitable planet?
>>
>>16187222

https://animalhistory.fandom.com/wiki/Aurelia

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.