[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (32).jpg (47 KB, 511x600)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
This is apparently what basal insects looked like. Bunch of myriopod looking things.
>>
File: Archimollusc-en.svg.png (156 KB, 660x407)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
This is apparently what the common ancestors of molluscs looked like. Snail stuff.
>>
Two theories of bilaterians. Post interesting basal animals.
>>
>>4795960
Yes? And?
>>
File: original.jpg (432 KB, 2048x864)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
I think I can believe it
>>
File: Plesiadapis_NT.jpg (29 KB, 600x379)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>4796038
I just want people to post basal versions of modern animals.
>>
>>4795962
Which is more Lively?
>>
>>4796935
Assuming Xenacoelomorpha is at the base of Bilateria, then the "Planuloid" hypothesis is probably more correct. But when people think of Bilateria they are often thinking about just Nephrozoans. The last common ancestor of Nephrozoa may have been more complex.
>>
>>4798204
errm, english please?
>>
>>4798204
A small quibble with this, it turns out xenocoelmorpha have all the genes except one for forming an anus, so it seems their blind gut is a derived rather than ancestral trait. So it seems the urbilaterian at least had a through gut.
>>
File: Fig1.jpg (39 KB, 402x424)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>4795960
I mean, remipedians are the closest living relatives of insects so it checks out. The first terrestrial ancestors of insects were probably myriapod-like crustaceans that later became extinct. I wonder how many groups of arthropods evolved terrestriality only to become extinct and leave no trace of their existence.
>>
>>4795960
Checks out.
Lobopodians are the ancestors to every arthropod alive today. The closest modern relative to lobopodians or the animal which has retained the most basal features are velvet worms.
>>
File: Bilateria.png (81 KB, 865x522)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>4799058
I don't know if I can put it in simple terms, but this cladogram helps explain what I mean. Xenocoelomorpha is the first group to split off from the rest of Bilateria. Given that the closest groups to Bilateria, such as Cnidaria (jellyfish, sea anemones, corals) also lack the traits in the "Complex" Urbilateria hypothesis their absence in Xenocoelomorpha is likely an indicator of what the first bilaterian was like. However, it is possible that some traits may have been lost in Xenocoelomorpha (>>4799093 refers to evidence that the ancestors of Xenocoelomorpha had a through gut) and that the first bilaterian may have been more complex.

This all assumes that this cladogram is correct though. There is a competing hypothesis that Xenocoelomorpha is a branch within Deuterostomia in which case the lack of complex traits in Xenocoelomorpha cannot be taken as evidence for the "Planuloid" Urbilateria hypothesis.
>>
>>4799255
Damn, I half-joked and you actually went out of your way to explain it, thank you it was an interesting read!
>>
>>4796137
Thank you, I've never seen this ancestor of mine.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.