[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_5938.jpg (757 KB, 4032x3024)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
Is it supposed to look like that? It looks like a piece is missing.

On it right now, and it doesn’t look right to me. I have a background of flying, and maybe im just super unobservant, but that little scoop out of the edge of the flap looks like it might be a broken piece. If not, why does it look like that? Cant see the other side of the plane to compare and cant find images on google.
>>
File: IMG_5939.jpg (1.9 MB, 4032x3024)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>
I have never seen that in my life and I watch a lot of airplane youtube. On the other hand, theoretically that should be visible on the thing where the pilot walks around and points the youtuber to the different things he checks, yes?
>>
>>1996156
It's an cutout, likely due to a crack that began to form. A small portion of the flap can be removed and still be considered effective
>>
>>1996232
https://nationalpost.com/news/we-know-about-this-alaska-airlines-apologizes-for-handwritten-note-on-damaged-wing-of-plane
>In what may be the most obvious corporate statement of the year, Alaska Airlines says a handwritten note on a damaged wing flap of a Boeing 737 that said “We know about this” may not have been the “best approach” to ensuring the confidence of the travelling public.
>The airline made the statement after a passenger snapped a picture of the note on a July 28 flight from Burbank, California to Seattle, which pointed down to a portion of the wing flap that appears to have been cut out.
>Alaska Airlines said the note was pointing to a permanent and FAA-approved repair to the flap.
>>
>>1996232
>>1996235
Fucking insane that this is done and allowed
>>
>>1996282
Why?
>>
>>1996282
You strike me as the kind of person who'd send back your entire meal if you found a single piece of fluff on the plate
>>
>>1996287
>>1996300
The “repair” is that a fucking piece of the aircraft is lobbed off? And im the Karen?
>>
>>1996156
Speed hole, don't worry about it
>>
>>1996355
It's a Boeing, at least that part was intentionally taken off.
>>
>>1996156
Can you get the aircraft registration number?
>>
>>
How it should look.
>>
>>1996355
>im the Karen?
Sounds like it
>>
>>1996402
>plane is inspected for cracks
>oh no, there is one on the wing!
>hacksaws it off
>no more cracks!
Problem?
>>
File: 12341.png (188 KB, 1016x556)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>>1996487
Yes, and?
>>
>>1996540
Explain how this is an acceptable procedure. What is the rationale behind not replacing the damaged piece of the craft, other than the operator being too cheap to pay for the proper repair?
We are talking about peoples lives here.
>>
>>1996559
nta and I am not a pilot or an engineer, but I know from experience that there are plenty of cases outside aviation where something looks unsafe and it's actually completely safe, likewise there's plenty of cases where something looks safe and is actually dangerous. if you're a reasonably intelligent adult you've probably run into stuff like that yourself, and can extrapolate from there that going by gut feel doesn't tell you anything
>>
>>1996559
>We are talking about peoples lives here
I would challenge you to explain how this endangers anyone, the flap can still adjust the chord line. You'd be impressed at just how much can be broken on a plane without it being considered unairworthy.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/2022-07/MMEL_B-737_Rev_62_Draft.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjL_NOv2YmGAxW5v4kEHcbwApMQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2540f3Evuv3Wu3Ahbz7rDi
>>
>>1996580
So your issue isn't the crack that they have taken care of it's some hypothetical other crack that they don't know about. Gee I wonder why they're not fixing some crack that doesn't exist and you've decided they can't find. I guess you're going to magic up some reason that they're not going to replace the flap during the next scheduled major service too.
>>
>>1996562
That's right
>>
>>1996639
Nta but you're making your decision based on your emotional reaction to it ("It looks bad, therefore it is bad"). See >>1996562. Chances are if that section hadn't been removed, you wouldn't be able to see the crack. Therefore, it would be "safe" in your mind. Removal of the faulty section is one less area to constantly inspect (after identification of the problem) and even risk failing in flight - a far more dangerous outcome than cutting it out in a controlled environment adhering to prescribed practice.
>>
>>1996643
there's no sense in trying to reason with people like this, they run their entire lives based on knee jerk reactions and feelings. if you push him into a corner he's just going to start screeching about DEI and the blacks
>>
>>1996559
It works because it stops the crack from propagating further. Replacing an entire flap section for something that small would take time and cause costly delays. And that assumes they have spares in stock, which I doubt. It will most probably get replaced in the next major maintenance due whenever.

>>1996579
Kek, posting an entire mmel to someone who can't understand how a stress relieving cutout works.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.