[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: batterrrrry.png (381 KB, 1575x1044)
381 KB
381 KB PNG
QTDDTOT because there isn't one and because this is a stupid question:

6.9 lbf ft - yes it's the workshop manual, but this won't crack the battery casing right ? Feels like this thing just keeps spinning but I guess it's compressing the little pad the battery is sitting on until it can't. Or should I shoot for a little less.
>>
>>27628775
>6.9 lbf ft - yes it's the workshop manual, but this won't crack the battery casing right ?

Why are you even referencing a shop manual to remove and replace a battery? Learn GudenTite and be done with it. The only place you probably need to read torque values is when your working on anything on the engine or suspension. You know places if you fuck up its going to mean thousands to fix.
>>
>>27628790
This. As long as the battery doesn't move, you're good.
>>
File: Capture.png (873 KB, 885x654)
873 KB
873 KB PNG
LS swap?
>>
>>27628802
It keeps coming loose even tho it felt like it was snug. I'll shoot for half the spec and see what happens.
>>27628790
Manual so I don't over or under torque something and because I have it, why not reference it.
>>
>>27628775

> 6.9 ft lbs

Most of the service literature ive seen wouldve used inch pounds here instead of foot pounds.
>>
>>27628807
Yeah why not

>I have it, why not reference it.

Because it takes longer to reference a number than crank the bitch down with reasonable force? Like I said yeah, on shit you know if it fucks up is expensive, but a battery retainer is not that important, ratchet it down and give it a good tug, and say "that's not going anywhere".
>>
Why do I see trucks regularly in the 200-300k mile range but people try selling off their cars before 150k
>>
>>27629059
That's about the mileage that stuff starts breaking and neglected maintenance catches up and the owners realize that they'd rather save their money for a new vehicle than spend hundreds or thousands on their old high mileage one.
>>
>>27628775
nice
>>
>>27629059
You can probably reach 150k-ish without ever doing maintenance. One or two oil changes might get you to 200k, 250k ish. Most people never maintain their cars, an EXTREMELY low number of people actually think about the maintenance of their vehicles. So when those 300k rigs have been driven into the dirt and start sounding somehow off from their glory days the owner decides it's time to sell.
>>
>>27629059
Trucks "can be" used for employment purposes, and generally built with durability in mind. Ie they have more usage over their lifetimes whether they actually are or not.

People shed cars like fashion objects, and generally they're less durable all things considered.
>>
My car quit three times today while idling at stoplights, and started right back up after each time. I think it might be the fan clutch because the one or two times I was idling when it turned on today the RPM drop was much higher than normal. How do I check my fan clutch for normal function?
>>
>>27629217
I don't see how it would be your fan clutch. Your engine shouldn't stall regardless. The RPM drop is probably just due to the same condition -- lack of power at idle.
>>
>>27629217
Is your idle rpm the same as usual ?
I've had one of my project cars have a tendency to dip way too low when stopping. My problem iirc was coils but it could be a lot of things .
>>
>>27630190
Idle RPM and acceleration from a stop was normal.
>>
>>27628775
I want to renew and protect my 91 jeep cherokee, standard transmission 6 cyl 4.0. I bought it used at 115k or so miles and immediately had a garage I respect do a coolant system inspection/then flush and got G-05 coolant in there. Got the oil changed. The water pump according to maintenance records was replaced at 90k miles and before I got it the thing was lovingly cared for by an old man, I bought it from his son who had planned to lift it but didn't have time anymore. I do take it through rough logging roads and over fallen trees now and then but it's only got light offroading duty, I don't intend to lift it. I would like to make a checklist of things to replace or renew that might need to be done sooner than later. So far I've replaced the plugs, wires and distributor cap, sway bar bushings, sway bar link bushings, the aforementioned coolant and the oil change. I've got the supplies for brakes as the next job and I'd like to get to the shocks next.
I'm a wrenchlet, everything I've done so far is based entirely off youtube tutorials. I haven't had any major fuckups aside from stripping one of the sway bar holes and having to tap a bigger hole and put a bigger bolt in there. My questions are 1, what would be the best things to do first for vehicle longevity? and 2, which jobs should I not attempt to undertake on my own? What jobs is it more likely than not as an uneducated mechanic that I'd do irreparable or grievous damage to it? Thanks.
>>
Anyone know that website where you can look up cars and it'll give you things like its specs and track times?
It's a pretty big database, too.
>>
>>27630884
nm I found it.
>>
can i reuse flywheel bolts on a Nissan 350z…? will i have to redo the whole clutch job if I reuse them? this is my first time doing this and i don’t mind wrenching but i also don’t like wasting my time. I just like getting things done right the FIRST time to save myself the hours
>>
>>27630546
Replacing all fluids including gear lube is wise. I drain into clean light-colored pans to inspect for debris. An irrigation syringe is an easy way to slurp brake fluid out of the master to replace with fresh before you do brakes, then bleed until fluid is clear.

Useful stuff:

Silicone dielectric grease (the same "spark plug grease" you got with your wire kit but in a large tube) is great for all electrical connections especially wiring harness plugs and threaded studs.

Quality anti-seize like Jet Lube copper (a tub lasts many years) not the watery shit at the auto store excludes moisture as does Loctite (which counterintuitively acts as anti-seize because it too excludes moisture).

Case of the cheapest toluene spray carb cleaner (I clean out Walmart as do other mechanics).

Take your time and attack what you feel comfy with after study. You should have no doubts about a process after thorough review. Welcome to not being a pussy because wrenching improves all aspects of life and understanding of machinery in general.
>>
>>27628807
>2,900$
Eh, too much for that car, if you can get it for 2,000$ , I'd say go for it
But please don't molest it with an LS :(
>>
>>27630907
Look up if the bolts are torque to yield or not. If they are.then you do not want to reuse them
>>
File: unhinged.png (45 KB, 1075x385)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
How would you make sure that a deranged troon and/or fed didn't try to sabotage your car in an attempt to murder you? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>27631251
Mount a trail cam overlooking where you'd park it, or just keep it in a garage. Could pull double duty with a camera in the garage but if you're worried about feds and asking this question your car's already got a tracker on/in it. If it's new enough they've already issued subpoenas for your driving analytics to the insurance company and manufacturer which yes is legal, no they don't have to tell you and yes they do it all the time.
>>
>>27631402
What if I'm more concerned about physical sabotage?
>>
>>27631402
>>27631411
I.e. how do I vet my car to make sure they didn't already fuck something up?
>>
>>27631411
>>27631420
Going to presume this is less a paranoid schizophrenic and more a "My ex knows I love my cars" situation. Get a locking gas cap, check your fluids before driving. Check the mouth of fluid reservoirs for powders or foreign fluids before driving. If you find any save it in a baggie if it's solid, dab it with a clean paper towel if it's liquid and stuff that in a bag and make what courts call a "contemporaneous note", write down why you did the check, what you found, the date and time, so on and so forth. You would give this to your attorney later, do not admit it yourself, DO NOT represent yourself in court. If you're concerned an ex or jilted lover or something is out to destroy a beloved car you need to find garage space or bare minimum set up a camera. You'll have to do a check each time you go out to drive to make sure each tire has air, the brakes aren't pissing when you pump them and that nobody has fucked with the oil cap or anything. If you're super desperate you can dust the oil fill cap and such with flour or talc and it'll give you an at-a-glance hint as to whether someone has fucked with it. You could also take pictures as evidence if you needed to sue for damages. Good luck, protecting a car from a psycho bitch is a chore and a half.
>>
How would I know if there is a mafia style bomb under my car?
>>
File: troons mad.png (61 KB, 1080x329)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>27631453
>>27631453
>Going to presume this is less a paranoid schizophrenic and more a "My ex knows I love my cars" situation.
It does sound extremely schizo, but evidently I pissed off some NAFO troons hard enough that they've been following me around for the last couple weeks posting thinly veiled threats in the threads that I normally post in. I don't even give a shit about their slav civil war, but they're completely unhinged. They keep making references to my car, and I suspect that there may be some foreign glowniggardry afoot. I'm in the US btw.
>>
>>27631531
It is almost entirely certain that you're not in any real danger. You mentioned "normally posting" in certain threads, very commonly people will let information slip. You mention off hand being a father, being a sibling, slowly people can build a dossier based on things you've accidentally said. Maybe they connect dots, maybe you posted links tied to a specific reddit account, maybe on that reddit account you mentioned your gluten allergy or asked someone how to fix a car model specific problem. These things snowball and eventually you can find everything about someone. Eventually you use one of the "person finder" or "white pages" sites and you can use an email you found to look up a person's relatives, home location, anything. Your problem is not car security, your problem is information security. The first thing you need to do is stop posting. You're worked up, you're nervous, you've obviously shared too much personal info, stop posting. Second, give the situation a long hard think. Car bombs are not common. I think the last major car bombing in america was the WTC truck bomb in the 90s or something. You're far more likely, IF someone were actually going to fuck with your vehicle, to have brake lines cut or something simple like that. At the end of the day you need to just shut the computer off and walk away, you and the people you're arguing with are so involved with the internet sphere and detached from reality that you're being brought to a state of horror by threats that are obviously empty to anyone not within arm's reach of the situation. You will be okay, if you must set up cameras to be comfortable again, simply get some trail cams. The most healthy thing you can do for yourself right now though is to stop engaging with the situation.
>>
File: cyberstalking.png (31 KB, 1080x246)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>27631603
>>27631603
This poster >>27631509 wasn't me. That's either a troll or one them.

Also, I haven't been the one antagonizing them. They've been coming my unrelated hobby general for the last two years to shill their war and that Biden is the greatest president ever.
>>
>>27629217
Does your car have auto stop/start?
>>
>>27631758
It's an automobile and it stops and starts, so yeah?
>>
>190/55 VR 340 - AR 220/55 VR 365
are there any tires i can get for these measurements other than michelin trx?
>>
>>27631857
You fool. You have not specified the car, so I cannot say what's wrong when for the past 10 years, cars literally don't idle in drive when they are operating as designed.
>>
Infinity...

Is that bad?
>>
>>27632117
Nevermind I figured it out.
>>
hi! I have an old alfa 75 with a 8v twin spark engine. I had to rebuild the engine a few years ago, and the car sat for more than a year because of that. after the engine was done, the car started doing this random jerking/twitching, where on idle it's kinda slow rpm drop, sometimes it stalls too, but on cruising and wot it's hard/harsh. it has a motronic ml4.1 ignition system but since it's a twin spark I got double transformer etc.
the list of things I tried changing but did not help:
-ecu (3x)
-afm (3x)
-main relays
-all sensors like coolant temp, and crankshaft
none of these seemed to resolve this problem, I'm kinda lost on finding it since it's so random.
anyone got any idea where should I look?
>>
>>27632105
Save yourself the hassle and get a new set of wheels that will fit regular tires
>>
>>27632484
ok then what size wheels fit 3-stud wheel hubs
>>
>>27632545
idk and idc, you can figure that out yourself. I'm just telling you that if you don't want to deal with TRX tires you need to replace your TRX wheels
>>
>>27632105
No, There are places remaking TRX but thats the whole thing about TRX is was Michelin being dumbasses about tire sizes back in the 80's, something they would repeat with a particular set of run flats in the 00's

>>27632545
What are you driving in particular that has three studs and uses TRX?
>>
Hell/o/!

Petrol SOHC engine, 4 cylinder, NA.
Planning to:
add "sportier" camshaft
port cylinder head
get bigger intake and exhaust valves

Will those parts and labour raise vehicles emissions?
Apologies for broken english
>>
>>27632833
>Will those parts and labour raise vehicles emissions?

Kinda need to know where you live to know what sort of trouble you might get in.

Where I live no one would give a fuck.
>>
>>27632849
Baltics
>>
>>27628807
If you're gonna swap and MG stick to something smol and light weight, and LS is too heavy for that little car you'll ruin it. Throw in a more modern n/a 4 cylinder and get yourself into the high 100s and you'll have a fun little car that wont make the trans and differential an hero. I have a 500hp swapped little compact and it detracts from the backroad experience too since flat out will put me into a tree fast,
>>
Is staining alright on a block? Everything is smooth, no pitting. It just looks unclean. Will the head gasket seal fine or does it need to be clear steel with a cross-hatch?
>>
>>27632833
>>27632880
Probably, all that stuff adds up to more fuel and air and more co2 overall I would bet. But it depends how it’s tuned and what they’re testing for. I mean the MPG probably goes down with that cam shaft if they test it through the whole powerband, but maybe not the NOx or whatever.

If they fail it, get that shit tuned 100% for emissions like a VW and then tune it right back.

But I’m speaking out my ass as an armchair engineer
>>
>>27633052
You should polish that up with 00 steel wool and citrus degreaser or something. Make sure to vacuum up as much shit as possible afterwards
>>
>>27632833
Port & polish will actually reduce emissions, bigger valves should only produce more emissions at full throttle, otherwise depends on tuning. The camshaft will probably increase emissions, but it mostly depends on tuning and catalysts. IDK how strict your emissions standards are, but I could pull it off in California.
>>
how heavy is a toyota car diff? thinking of dropping mine but wondering how bad it'lll hurt if i remove the bolts and drop it while i'm under it
>>
>>27634313
My 2013 Toyota Car differential only weighed about 60 lbs. What year Car do you have?
>>
>>27634323
89 cressida, it's a G312 diff
>>
>>27634313
Nevermind I figured it out.
>>
>>27634350
Take your car jack, put a wood block on it between it and the diff, strap it down to the jack then drop it when you get the bolts out.

Alternatively buy a transmission yoke, or transmission jack and take it out that ways. They may not be as heavy as a transmission but they crack just the same when you drop them on pavement.
>>
Changed my differential fluid and replaced the gasket now it’s leaking.

Did I damage the cover from over tightening or just the gasket? When I removed it the bolts were legit finger tight which I suppose was right because it didn’t leak. I didn’t use a tourq wrench but made them more snug than when I took them off now it’s dripping. Is just the gasket damaged or did I fuck up the thin cover?
>>
>>27634462
You absolutely sure the gasket was aligned when you put it on? Did you tighten it down in a criss-cross pattern? None of the bolts stripped?
>>
>>27634360
shoo, go away
>>27634428
yeah i'll just do that then ty. if they're not as heavy as a tranny i might just try bench pressing it in and out
>>
>>27634524
Yeah the gasket was aligned and I did a star pattern but I definitely over tourqed them thinking it wouldn’t hurt
>>
>>27632796
a310 v6
i haven't closed the deal yet but am looking into it, including what spare parts i'd have to get, etc.
it doesn't seem like anyone's making new 3x150mm wheels besides chinx
>>
>>27629147
>One or two oil changes might get you to 200k
yeah ok retard.
>>
I'm pulling my tires off the rims and changing them, do I really need to balance them as well? Don't really want to spend another $100 getting the tools and waiting for them to come.
>>
>second gen Lexus IS250
>consumes a little oil
wut 5W30 oil is gud for this? fully synthetic? I'm intimidated by all the "le epic super extra performance" woowoo bullshit, they don't really mean anything and I should just get some basic stuff from some good brand, right?
>>
>>27634981
If you want your shit to shake like a crack addict going through withdrawals, then don't get them balanced.

Mount and balance is about 25$ an axle here where I live, so you're being cheap for no good reason.
>>
>>27634975
Either you'll need to see if the hubs can be swapped with something else or use a spacer that will take the 3 lug to another pattern.
>>
>>27634993
The oil you use to top off should be the same as what's already in the engine. Check the window sticker. If you had it changed at Valvoline, use Valvoline. If it has mobil 1, use mobile 1. If you dont know what's in it, change it to Pennzoil platinum and keep an extra quart or 2 in the car for top offs. Also make sure its flat when you check the oil, it will be too high/lo if you check it on a hill
>>
>>27634228
>>27634294
Thanks!
>>
>>27634981
You could try those balancing bead things.

Depending on the wheels and tires and how lucky you get, you may be ok if you keep it under 75mph, or the balance may suck and you feel it over 55mph. I would do what another anon said, shops will mount and balance tires for so cheap, and their balancing machines do a better job than the home shop ones that only balance in one direction. The new balancing techniques got better with the weights on the inside of the wheel, those machines not only tell them where on the circumference to place the weight, but how far in or out to go, something you can’t do with the bubble level stands. I’m sure the bubble level stand will get them good enough for regular highway speeds but definitely I recommend some sort of balancing for an on-highway car.
>>
>>27635427
That shit doesn’t matter. I’ll be here all day waiting for the proof that a quart of generic gas station oil will wreck the Mobil 1 in the engine.

>>27634993
Put whatever brand in there, don’t run it low. I’d probably go full syntetic on a lexus, espcially if she’s turbocharged. Check your owner’s manual for the recommended weight, sometimes there’s a little chart based on ambient temps and you should change weights before a cold winter or hot summer.
>>
>>27632890
This.

Stick a Mazda BP engine in it. It'll be far faster/more reliable than with that hunk of iron A series engine and won't ruin the car.
>>
I hear amazing things about full synthetic oil, but when mentioning switching my older car over to synthetic it started a wild dispute in the parts store. Nobody agreed, half said it would protect the old engine, the other half said it would kill it, one guy said it would foam up and blow the head gasket. I came home started looking it up online for a similar model car and people are split on it online too. Is there any danger to putting synthetic in an older engine as long as you match the viscosity?
>>
>>27636010
What engine do you have?
>>
>>27636010
Don't get your info from parts counter jerk-offs.

Synthetic is perfectly fine for older engines provided the viscosity is correct. The ONLY issue you may have has is the oil detergents in synthetic will dissolve the dino oil and will open up leaks where the dino was plugging.
>>
has anyone here heard of xtroons stereos? are they good?

also, why are stereos not talked about here?
>>
looking for an suv to do construction type work out of for about 8k. I see a 2012 durango with 140k and I see a 2007 4runner with 220k. which is more appealing at that price? is the toyota tax worth it?
>>
>>27636399
Most of us either have factory stereos or just whatever seemed appealing. Some of the guys run FM transmitters or Bluetooth speakers off the phones. Personally ive installed a couple of JSD-520 stereos which gives the ol shitbox bluetooth, TF and USB capabilities without being a big annoying touchscreen, but this forum is mostly poorfags and boomers who cant afford new stereos and many of them cant even afford basic maintenance
>>
>>27636399
>why are stereos not talked about here?
Because were all White here.

Also calculating amps and ohms and knowing which units are better is niche knowledge that most car guys don't bother to fuck with.
>>
>>27636406
When you're looking at cars over 10 years old and under $10,000 its not as simple as toyota good durango bad, but you have to figure out if its been cared for and if you're going to need major repairs. Are you planning to tow stuff or have pipes sticking out the back, what exactly do you want to do with it? I know a couple of construction guys that run old Subarus.
>>
If I have a vacuum-dependent fuel pressure regulator on a turbo car I won’t see max system pressure unless it’s under load/boost, correct?
>>
File: Untitled.png (22 KB, 674x441)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>27628775
does this badge look terrible? im making a locost with a lot of toyota parts, also a fan. its going to be registered as a 60's lotus but i want badge it as a toyota. I was trying to think of a cool name, rave, came to mind cause it sounded cool and i listen to lots of music, like its all i do.
>>
>>27636467
the regulator will keep your system pressure the same till it sees boost pressure, then the regulator will start increasing the fuel pressure. if its adjustable you set your pressure while idling. also you can trick a car into running larger injectors by turning down fuel pressure with an adjustable regulator. you cant go too over sized or you will run out of pressure and it will run bad
>>
File: 1707510858524015.jpg (3.15 MB, 2778x2778)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
Is there any sort of fuel resistant epoxy I can use on this mechanical fuel pump outlet? It popped off, I tried tapping it in but I want extra insurance it wont come back out.
I've already installed a new pump, but I would like to keep this as a spare just in case
>>
>>27636528
I’ve had mixed results with Seal-All but I bet with really clean surfaces and enough cure time it’d work here
>>
>>27636516
Thanks anon, that’s what I was thinking. And interesting, I didn’t know that — so if I’ve got way oversized injectors (with chip ofc) and I’m fighting rich/rough idle I could try running slightly higher than stock pressure? Or does it not work in reverse
>>
>>27636808
Yep works the other way too although I never had to over pressure it myself. I had a tune for 330cc injectors and put in 600s which was overkill, but turned the fuel pressure down and it worked great. I'm pretty sure I read that in the old school efi days guys would do the same.
>>
>>27635198
if i decide not to get new wheels, which measurements can i change up and down and by how much?
>>
If I had a car that had 5.5" ground clearance and wanted to lower it to 5" with lowering springs. Would that cause any issues?
I know it's not ideal, but I don't think I want to buy a whole set of coilovers just to lower half an inch.
>>
File: image.jpg (3.41 MB, 4032x3024)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
good evening /o/
i had this exhaust sitting in the bed of a truck and did an oopsie by letting it rub against something. this is the result. can i leave this be or should i coat it in some sort of adhesive that patches exhaust holes? or should i replace the whole piece altogether? it attaches directly to the cat. it’s NOT the cat. not as far as i can personally tell. i’m not concerned about noise. more concerned about whether this affects any future emissions test.
>2006 Nissan 350z
>>
File: image.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>27639278
this is the what the rest of it looks like.
>>
>>27636528
Solder.
>>
>>27639278
It's not really part of the exhaust, just sleeving over a flexible pipe.

I hope you're not going to do something stupid like straight pipe it.
>>
>>27636528
You used a hose clamp, right?
It shouldn't come off with a hose clamp.
>>
>>27636505
It's cringe to badge any car with a brand it's not.
>>
>>27628807
Post in /CCG/, I think there are a couple MG owners in there
>>
Playing Russian Roulette with 5 chambers loaded deciding between a 2016 Corvette Stingray Z51 ($38,000/83,000mi), 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL550 ($23,500/96,000mi), 2005 Porsche Boxster S ($29,900/30,000mi), 2016 Audi TTS ($25,000/73,000mi). Hoping I can figure out a decision that will lead to the least pain for the most gain.
>>
>>27639431
Z3
>>
>>27639440
I'm just getting out of a BMW, I want something different.
>>
File: tire fire.jpg (166 KB, 605x975)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Is this a bad idea? Haven't been able to bead my tire and I'm looking toward desperate measures.
>>
>>27639496
have you tried wrapping the tire in a ratchet strap?
>>
>>27634718
Put wheel bearings grease on the surfaces.
>>27633052
Those radial scratches act as a path for leaks. Scuff in circumferential scratches.
>>
lb ft is the unit for torque and ft lb is the unit for work, fag
>>
>>27639609
call the people who wrote the manual, OP is just the messenger
>>
>>27639427
Nice, sounds like you don't hate what I put together. Toyota prowler is a good one I just thought of... think of a utopia where Toyota came up with the prowler but it was way better
>>
>>27639609
>torque this bolt to 10 BTU
>this microwave is rated to 500 in-lb per second
I don't see a lot of potential for errors.
>>
>>27639609
It’s the same damn thing, Retard.
>>
What would be a really good idea for a cheapo RWD/AWD lightweight car if I want to tune it to stupid horsepower numbers? S2000s are a bit too expensive these days, but what's left? Pontiac Solstice?
>>
>>27639718
Z3 is always the answer.
Except for LS swapped Miata.
>>
I got a ticket in Louisiana. 82/70. Usually in my home state I hire a lawyer ASAP and it gets dismissed. From what I read online, these parishes will frequently mark these down as non-moving violations and they just want you to pay the fine (insurance won't be affected and I guess a non moving violation isn't a big deal on your record). Anyone from there have advice ?
>>
My 2005 corolla idles high when I start it. Up to 1800rpm or so. Done this for like 4 years. Should I care? Intake gasket?
>>
>>27639823
That sounds completely normal to heat up the catalyst. I guess it hasn't always done that so it's odd? As long as it comes back down to normal after a minute or two I wouldn't worry
>>
>>27628775
What's everyone's opinion on using something like youtu.be/541Gh2gVeak to lube hydraulic lifters?
>>
>>27639819
I would hire the ticket lawyer before you get points on your license or take the hit on insurance. If you pay the ticket as is, that’s a moving violation, I have never heard of that somehow getting dropped down to some city ordinance fine in the process of paying it.
>>
I'm thinking of "dechroming" my black, A5's window linings and grille with wrap.
3 questions, black or carbon fibre effect?
Is there any special care needed for exterior wrapped parts?
Should I DIY this for cheap or get done by someone who knows what they're doing.
I'm not a complete wrenchlet but wrap is not the same as wrench.
>>
I've heard in a few places that carbureted engines sound better. Why would that be the case? Isn't the biggest difference that carburetors introduce more gasoline because they aren't as precise? If so, wouldn't fuel injected cars purposely made to run rich sound the same?
>>
>>27640119
Boomer nostalgia. They probably like the backfiring and stuff from too much gas
>>
File: 20240502_184932.jpg (3.48 MB, 4160x3120)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
>>27628775
Is this something I can clean up without removing the engine from this Beetle? Can I get away with putting the fan housing back in and leaving it alone? If not, is there at least a way to restore the oil cooler so I don't have to replace it?
>>
File: 20240502_184942.jpg (3.17 MB, 4160x3120)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>27640284
>>
>>27640311
>>27640284
Spray the shit out of it with some degreaser
>>
>>27640313
Any particular degreaser you'd recommend? Anything I should know about using degreasers? I can't help but think that the cooling fins need a brass brush or something.
>>
I have a Ford Maverick 23 XLT tremor. I love the truck but I really want the better speakers the lariat brings. Leather seats would be a bonus to that. Should I bother trading mine in for the exact same trim but a lariat? Or should I just look into buying better soeakers? Only thing with the latter is I don't know how to solder and I am not comfortable with removing the plastic and speakers from my truck .
>>
>>27628775
why does my coolant tank have a sawed off section? I bought my car from my mom so I never checked under the hood before buying it.
>>
>>27628775
is pic related my transmission fluid access point? I have a CVT(I know) and I found a youtube video pointing out the tranny fluid access point for another nissan but it seems to be different on my model(2015 sentra).
https://youtu.be/mMxJimvHjj0

My car has been stalling out on me lately, almost always after I've been driving a while and I'm trying to accelerate after I've been stopped at a red light.
I checked my engine oil and there's enough of it but it's filthy. I think the main problem is that I have a hole in my coolant tank >>27641003 and it's completely empty. Is it ok for me to fill it up with a water bottle so I can drive to walmart and buy some coolant?
>>
File: file.png (1.03 MB, 1669x2055)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>27641003
Apparently the sawed off section is normal, unless I'm interpreting this image incorrectly.
>>
File: file.png (17 KB, 260x280)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>27641015
I should add that I smell gas whenever I have pic related turned on.
>>
>>27641058
Get a fuel pressure test done. Hve somebody rev that bitch and stick your head under there to look or smell for fuel. If you smell gas and have no idea what you’re doing, you might want to have somebody competent take a look at it before your car starts on fire.
>>
>>27641058
>Smell gas
>Stalls at lights
Idk man sounds like you probably have fuel Injector seals going to shit but there's a handful of reasons you'd smell gas.
>>
>>27639994
I called the courthouse and she changed it from speeding to "detective equipment" the price is the same but shit it won't hit my insurance being a non moving violation.
>>
>>27641055
>>27641015
Water is fine. And the design of they thing sucks since id rather it be routed down but whatever, you shouldn't have coolant overflow ever and if you do it's just to vent it out.
>>
>>27641015
No. That's your brake fluid reservoir. The cap even says what fluid to put in there
>>
>>27641100
I've been smelling gas for over a month now. Idk I don't want to miss work and I don't want to take my car to a shop where they're going to invent a bunch of things to bill me for.

>>27641187
>dot3 fluid
I didn't know that meant brake fluid. Where do I find the tranny fluid cap?

>>27641160
I realized this local store has an auto section so I just skateboarded there and bought some coolant. Then I drove to buy a burger. When I got back I checked my coolant level and it's down a lot further than I would have expected from 15 minutes of driving. Also my car was making this high pitched squeaking sound when I parked and turned off the car.

Someone told me in the other thread that I would be gay to pay another man to fix my car, but I'm thinking at this point I should probably get a professional involved.
>>
File: IMG_0662.png (1.3 MB, 1242x1338)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>27628775
/ck/ is having a meet up in DFW. /o/ is invited…. Who’s going?
>>
>>27641391
>one table
Should be enough to fit exactly one fatass from /ck/ and the two dipsticks from /o/ lame enough to show up to this snoozefest.
>>
>>27641425
Details: >>>/ck/20472038
>>
>>27641381
https://youtu.be/vbdep3k_Jz8?si=GuxFUae0cEcgjhn0
Your tranny fluid port isn't right there...?

And if you lost that much coolant that fast you should be able spot a leak somewhere. Probably even smell it. My Honda's coolant smells like amaretto coffee creamer.
>>
Can I get my drls turned yellow on in the cheap? I was thinking I could send them to one of those places that does custom lighting and see if they can just put yellow film over it because I don't want to spend $1000 on aftermarket rgb headlights just to make them yellow all the time.
>>
>>27639676
it's not the same thing you fucking idiot
>>
>>27640313
How does that address the rust and corrosion?
>>
Should I recharge 1234yf myself or have someone with the proper setup do it
>>
>>27641477
idk how I would be able to spot it. I also can't smell anything. There's definitely a leak though. After I drove my car to work, when I went back to my car during my lunch break the coolant resevoir was completely empty, even though I had filled it up entirely earlier that day.
>>
>>27642454
You look and feel around every coolant hose for moisture. Otherwise it's the water pump or the radiator I guess.
Other than that, buy some coolant UV dye and a blacklight kit.
>>
>>27639278
It looks well enough, but only way to tell is by running it and seeing if it leaks.
I would just replace it though. They're like sub 20$ on Amazon, just look up exhaust flex pipe.
Take off that one and take some measurements. Make sure to get the inner and outer diamater (I.D. and O.D.).
>>
>>27640119
The tumbling murmur of a carburated engine will always sound better than the efficient precision of a modern engine.
>>
>>27640597
>getting another car for the speakers
Just upgrade your speakers anon, it's not that hard, just tedious.
Generally, you don't have to solder either, just use quick disconnects
(NO IT DOESN'T AFFECT THE SOUND YOU AUDIOPHAGGOTS).
The best overall improvement you can make though is getting a sub (as melanated as it sounds).
I'd recommend getting a better head unit too.
If you're that scared to pick up a wrench though, then go pay an audio shop to do it.
Either way, no matter what trim you get, the sound system will more than always sound like ass. Best thing to do is to customize the sound to your personal taste
>>
>>27641003
Hey newfag!
Glad to see you found the QTDDTOT! I hope we can help you solve your issue.
Have a great day!
>>
I need a car, there are so many cars I want I don't know what to choose
>>
>>27631509
you shouldn't have fucked over Jimmy "Long Legs" Bambuchi. now you're going to pay.
>>
>>27642926
O-okay?
>>
File: 1692237031824916.png (74 KB, 378x357)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>27636399
>xtroons
>>
File: 1708251530719075.png (103 KB, 612x612)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>27639496
yeah it works fine, i've done it, but i find just using an air compressor is faster and easier. you've removed the valve core right and are using an air chuck that gets a lot of air in

(I use a blower nozzle like pic related, except taking off that rubber cap it happens to have the right size threads so I can screw it down on the valve stem directly, then I put duct tape over the vent holes and it really blows out a lot of air)
>>
>>27642419
do it yourself. ac work is some of the easiest work imaginable and shops overcharge for it like they're curing cancer.
>>
>>27642926
search cars using a price range that you can afford to pay cash for and not go into debt
sort down to cars that cover your use case for 95% of the time
filter down to manual transmission
find one that elevates your pulse rate
>>
>>27636399
If you're referring to xtrons, I have one in my BMW and it's perfectly fine, looks like an OEM unit and doesn't look out of place. I have an SD card in it with all my MP3's and it just plays that automatically whenever I get in the car. Screen is fine, no horrendous lag or anything when swiping, and it also came with an application that can read the car's OBD2, so it can give you mechanical info like speed and temps if you so wish. The backlight for the keys and buttons can be changed too, so you can have it blend in with the OE gauge cluster and button clolours quite nicely. GPS works well enough too, just installed the little antennae unobstructed on the dash, downloaded google maps and the relevant offline data, and it works like a regular old TomTom or Garmin. Only problem I can think of is that even on it's lowest brightness setting, the screen is still pretty bright, but I'm not used to modern radio stuff, so maybe they're all like that, idk.

TL;DR - They're fine.
>>
>>27642419
I have no idea how much this costs in America, but the cost of a DIY can here is anywhere from £30-70, and to have shop do it is £60. I always wrench my own stuff, but considering how often you'd actually have to do this, it just doesn't seem to be worth the time or tool investment to me, and so besides mounting tyres it is the only thing I let others do. Again, maybe in the US or elsewhere the cans are cheaper or the service is more expensive, but otherwise I just don't see the point.
>>
I'm trying to put a solid alternator pulley (v-belt) on a 2009 denso that uses OAD.
Is this possible?
>>
File: 1689377818516498.jpg (481 KB, 1080x2078)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
Just got a shitload of hail damage on my 2018 vehicle, they honestly might total it but I haven't contacted insurance yet. How can I get the maximum bux out of it if they do total it?
>>
For people who live in inspection states for cars, do you guys “tip” the guy for them to pass you? And how do they pass you? Just use another car for yours and use your info?

A friend was told to get a obd scanner, clear the codes, and drive it a while before going in the mechanic for a inspection test but apparently that didn’t work because it came immediately back on without time to do the test. Any advice for my friend who needs to pass this as fast as possible? The car had a custom sniff test and everything was fine but the damn engine lights are on to no avail and he uses it as a daily, no funny shenanigans. It’s apparently super tough to convince someone to pass it for you since they don’t trust people so I don’t know what he should do.
>>
>>27643133
>I have no idea how much this costs in America, but the cost of a DIY can here is anywhere from £30-70, and to have shop do it is £60
lmao
$500 minimum in the US, probably $1500 - $2500 in reality
>>
bros. my miata (1.6l) has recently been brought back to life. but it has one small?… possibly fatal problem…whenever i turn the car on, the motor will KNOCK. NOT TICK. KNOCK. About 3 or 2 times then it goes away completely. It Basically goes
>KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK lol jk
I’ve driven the car hard and never once noticed it happen again after the initial startup. I’ll try to post a video later since I’m at work right now. But give it to me straight. Is this how rod knock begins? It knocks no more than 4 times at random. And it doesn’t sputter or act weird at all afterwards. The car has never done this before.
>127k miles
I recently replaced the head gasket btw so I’m not sure if that might have something to do with it. I doubt it. Is something loose down there? If it were really as grave as rod knock is, why does it stop? Very worried right now since I’ve put waayyyyyy too much time into this car just for it to keep throwing shit like this at me.
>>
>>27643212
>For people who live in inspection states for cars, do you guys “tip” the guy for them to pass you? And how do they pass you? Just use another car for yours and use your info?
You can ask around if anyone knows a guy at a shop that can do that, but just cold handing them money they're going to think it's a setup.
Clearing the codes won't work as it'll reset your readiness and you'll have to drive long enough for the monitors to run again, which is almost always enough time for the dtc to come back.

I think you're going to have to actually fix your car. What is the car and what are the codes you're getting?
>>
>>27643244
could be a cracked exhaust manifold that seals up with heat. possibly a lifter that's going bad.
try running some of that engine flush stuff (you dump it in, let the car *idle* for 10 minutes, don't rev), then drain the oil and replace.
>>
>>27643212
Unfortunately it’s really not so easy to slip past emissions anymore. Even ~10 years ago when I was an emissions monkey I got audited because a guy tipped me cash and they saw it on one of the cameras in the machine. Brand new truck, no sniff test or anything and they still showed up and tore everything apart.
>>
File: 1714193893366061.jpg (120 KB, 950x1024)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Hey fellas, I'm in the market for a sporty daily driver since I am sick of dailying my pickup truck. I nearly shit a brick when I saw Type R Civics going for $50k at my local dealer, but I'm interested in what you guys drive.
>>
I am getting a severe rattling sound from the transmission during acceleration. Seems like the position of the shifter affects the sound somehow. If I move it a few millimeters it'll quiet down considerably. Lexus IS200 with 6-speed manual.

I have no idea what could cause something like this. Bearings shot in the tranny? Am I looking at having to get another one from the junkyard?
>>
>>27643281
Check the cables and linkage from the shifter to the transmission, maybe something is rattling in there. Definitely not a transmission bearing, probably nothing serious.
Also manual transmissions are very easy to repair, you don't have to replace them when something breaks like with autotragics.
>>
>>27643291
In this case the shifter sits directly on top of the transmission, so there's no cabling or external linkage. But I'll check this weekend that the shifter is still properly attached.
>>
>>27643301
Even easier then. Check every part of the shifter, any plates, etc for anything that could be rattling even slightly. I might even remove the shifter completely and drive it to see if it still rattles.
>>
>>27643241
fucking what
>>
>>27643358
Huge scam. They also cut off parts of your dick when you're born here, and nobody here can give you a concrete answer as to why.
>>
>>27643255
the thing is i can actually count how many times it “knocks”. every rod knock video i’ve searched online have the knocking occur so fast that you really can’t say right off the top of your head how many times it made that noise. right now i’m leaning towards something being loose somewhere near or on the valve cover. this is the only video that remotely sounds like my car and it’s still too “fast” compared to mine. plus mine’s not boosted. i fucking hate this car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTW6T-DNAA
>>
>>27642996
the equipment is kinda expensive though for how often you'd typically need a regas. but if you can do a few AC jobs around the neighbourhood it can pay for itself after 3-5 times
but there is also the satisfaction of knowing that you can do your own AC regas.
>>
File: stewchanic.jpg (147 KB, 630x472)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
How much experience should someone have with wrenching before deciding to take on a kit car, or restoring something from the 1960s-70s? Does a person have to be an ASE Master Technician or some shit, or can they learn as they go with these kinds of projects?
>>
>>27643706
Don't expect to ever drive it.
It will be a learning experience for sure and you will never stop loving your DD.
>>
>>27643706
The brakes, brake dust, clutch, and any exhaust related gaskets WILL contain asbestos so wear appropriate PPE if you ever work on an old shit box like that.
>>
File: 1710417053050546.jpg (144 KB, 800x800)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Did the Cayman come with this spoiler or was this added by the owner?
>>
File: Capture.png (122 KB, 671x1161)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
Are these the best wiper blades?
>>
Alright what brake pad should I choose? It's on a Frontier I tow with and I want the best stopping power and pedal feel. Don't care about rotors they're really cheap for this car

I was gonna do either the Wagner Thermoquiets or Raybestos EHT3s
>>
>>27644447
I've always liked ebc yellows, hawk, and power stops.
>>
>>27643244
Not familiar with the car but that’s often a timing belt guid or a tensioner stat sticks during cold start. You can ignore it for years, if that’s the case. Spend a few on a troubleshooting remote starter switch and a stethoscope.
>>
>>27642896
Imagine being this salty. I didn't know homosexuals could be car enthusiasts.
When you typed qtdtdtdtdtdtdtdtd did you hold shift or did you use caps lock?
>>
>>27641902
You may not like it but the terms are used interchangeably and so is the math. Define work.
>>
>>27630907
What's the instructions on tightening the bolts? does it just list the ftlb/nm or does it detail you to crank down to a certain value then a degree value past that?

Usually TTY bolts have specific instructions & won't just list the torque rating.
>>
>>27644294
I thought certain models had pop up spoilers? That looks aftermarket.
>>
So I replaced my fuel injectors so I put them all in the gas line and then shove them off into the holes. I think that they didn't get all in the holes because it takes tremendous amount of pressure to put them all in there even though I lubeded them all up. So I think they're I think they're sealed even though they're not fully deep inside of it. Should I go with it and just see if it works I guess if I smell gas then then you know it's it's bad.
>>
>>27644829
i guess i would have to put them in the holes first then put the gas line on to properly seat them in but that isn't how i saw thjem do it in the video i watched
>>
>>27643560
>the equipment is kinda expensive though for how often you'd typically need a regas.
it's not really though, a set of gauges and a vacuum pump will run around $100 - $150 and last you basically forever.
i'm using the set I bought in the early 2000s and have used them for all kinds of cars.
>>
>>27643706
>How much experience should someone have with wrenching before deciding to take on a kit car,
Perfect way to learn, just get started
>>27643738
>The brakes, brake dust, clutch, and any exhaust related gaskets WILL contain asbestos so wear appropriate PPE if you ever work on an old shit box like that.
Fearmongering. People who get lung disease from asbestos are people who breathed the fibers day in and day out in industrial settings for decades. Breathing a handful of particles once or twice in your life hurting you somehow is about as ridiculous as the lie of """"secondhand smoke""""
>>
>>27644829
>I think that they didn't get all in the holes because it takes tremendous amount of pressure to put them all in there
Whenever you're doing a job and something doesn't seem right, STOP everything and figure out what's wrong. This is how you fuck things up. Take everything back apart and figure out why it's not working. Are the fuel injectors the right ones? are the seals the right ones? is there rust or old seals in the bores? Is it direct injection and you needed to use a special tool to flatten the seals? are you using the wrong method? is something crooked or backwards?
>>
>>27644854
As somebody that used to work in that industry, all you have to do is wet everything down if you're really paranoid about it. The amount of asbestos in an older car is so minimal unless it is in the insulation and you're ripping that out I wouldn't worry about it. And even that is extremely rare, it's very inert and stable not friable in gaskets and packing where it's mostly found after the 70s and you have to be doing a brake job twice a week to actually get health issues from it.
>>
>>27639650
I'd go for something goofy like Loyota because trust me, you will NOT look cool driving around in it
>>
>>27643706
Buy a shitbox and just start working on it. Or work on the shitbox you have currently.

There are very few things that you won't pick up in doing basic or even moderately hard maintenance so like 80-90% of what you'd need to know can just be done working on the vehicle you already own. Realistically you could learn as much as you need in about 5 years time.
>>
>>27643738
Unless its been sitting in a field since the 60's this is very unlikely. Most of that was phased out in the 80's to 90's
>>
File: 1714630964630068.png (143 KB, 300x473)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>27643706
>How much experience should someone have with wrenching before deciding to take on a kit car, or restoring something from the 1960s-70s? Does a person have to be an ASE Master Technician or some shit, or can they learn as they go with these kinds of projects?
Just do it anon, don't talk yourself out of it. When you start your brain will try to convince you that you're going to fuck it up and to give up, you'll have to force yourself to keep going. Pic related is a book I would recommend to get in the correct philosophical mindset to do a restoration
>>
>>27644509
Yeah that's a little high end for what's at the end of the day my daily driver. It's hard because there's barely anything information for normal parts store brakes pads. For a normal car I would have just gotten pbr/axxis metal masters or ultimates but those are hard to find now
>>
>>27643706
>How much experience should someone have with wrenching before deciding to take on a kit car, or restoring something from the 1960s-70s? Does a person have to be an ASE Master Technician or some shit, or can they learn as they go with these kinds of projects?

I was considering restoring a 57 ford tractor but it needed a lot of work and after i restored it, i would be out money and time vs buying a already restored tractor. so in that case its better to sell it as a parts tractor. another thing to consider is my tractor has no power steering. so a vehicle with less options is not worth restoring as much as a vehicle with more valuable options on it
>>
>wrx
How bad is it to misshift and lurch the car? Primarily down shift where I under rev, but anything that causes it to buck. My habit from bikes is to let out the clutch quick but sometimes I don't have the rpm right.
Obviously I plan to get better, but are the transmissions that fragile? Could I shift like this forever without breaking anything?
I'm only talking like 2k rpm off, which isn't huge but feels like shit when the car bucks.
>>
>>27644940
won't hurt your transmission, over time it could wear out your engine and transmission mounts. in extreme cases could cause abnormal wear on the clutch as well.
>>
>>27643706
It's kinda a dream of mine too. Not because I love wrenching, but for the idea of a perfectly simple machine with no pointless addons.

>>27644881
I would consider this but where I am shitbox means rust. I'd just be paying a premium for functionally scrap metal that just happens to have a running engine.
>>
>>27644947
Thanks anon, that's good to know - even if I keep fucking it up completely that's much cheaper than new clutch/transmission. I kept hearing how it has a glass transmission and would cringe anytime I bucked it.
I imagine the extreme case would be redline clutch dumps where it slips. My tendency is to release too quick, but within a normal range, and it definitely connects and doesn't slip.
Other people would probably drive with the exact same throttle inputs but slow release the clutch and call it good because it smoothed it all out.
>>
how come scooters accidentally rev out of control and fly off from being parked in some accidents
is it because of auto clutch
>>
>>27644705
>anon is just trying to be helpful and informative
>throw a fit because newfag
>>
>>27641003
some coolant reservoir tanks vent to the outside and some are sealed

that cut off is your vent
>>
Can any car can last a long time if you do routine maintenance when needed? even new ones?
>>
>>27644437
I'm sure they're good, yes.
Any quality blades will be comparable.

"The best" is difficult to quantify, and realistically it's an unnecessary target.
As long as you're looking at quality products and not some cheap ones, they're going to be good (and better than whatever old ones are on the car currently).

I've been using TRICO Gold blades on my car for the last few years, and I've been happy with them.
Bosch ICON blades are also good, yes.
I think RainX makes some high quality ones as well.

Just stay away from the cheap ones and you'll be good.
>>
File: IMG_9520.jpg (622 KB, 1814x2048)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>27645174
Eventually everything become a few hours away from breaking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures

and it costs more to rebuild it than rebuy it.

If you replace enuf parts its not Theseus's car anymore is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
>>
>>27645012
Often an accident causes damage to a vehicle.
Sometimes that damage is to the throttle control (either the twist grip itself, or the cabling, or the linkage on the engine, etc.), causing it to stick open.
>>
>>27641381
>Where do I find the tranny fluid cap?
Propably nowhere if you don't see a dipstick for it in the engine bay. Oil level is determined by removing a plug from somewhere on the side of the transmission and if oil drips out, it's on level
>>
>>27644899
Just run whatever reputable brand is cheapest; I myself lean towards brembo as they have a pretty standard "bite" and pedal feel, but as for "stopping power", pads won't increase your stopping power at all. The only real difference between pads are the fade characteristics. Performance pads like hawks and the like need some heat in them to really start working, but will resist brake fade much more than street pads. Street pads work really well from cold, but are unsuited to repeated heavy braking. You may be hauling shit which obviously puts more heat into the pads, but any OE compound pad for your vehicle is already made to deal with that (Unless you're towing over the vehicle's rated limit). If you actually want to stop faster, you need stickier tyres, not special pads.
>>
>>27643191
Yes, but it'll squeak and wear your belt faster. Same effect happens when the oad pulley breaks and becomes solid
>>
>>27645225
its not even throttle control lets say you're standing still with your scooter running and see your shoe lace is undone and reach down to tuck it your other hand could accidentally twist and cause it to rev and send the vehicle suddenly forward
its not like you can disengage the engine by putting into neutral like on an automatic car
>>
>>27628775
Does having 1 of 2 functional radiator fans really cook my shit this hard when not moving?
>>
>Be miamifag
>No habla espanol
>Have to talk to truckers sometimes as part of my job
>Barely any of them speak English or fluent enough to take the test
It is my understanding that you have to be able to read, write, and speak English to get a CDL let alone drive a semi, right? I'm sick of people coming here, not learning a word of English their entire lives and getting basically a free fucking ride. Can I report these fucks to the DOT and have their whole truck shut down?

Or is there something I'm missing here? Is English really that hard to learn that you can't pick up a basic grasp in 50 FUCKING YEARS?
>>
>>27645783
Poor people don't learn second languages because they'll never truly live outside of the country and the jobs they're capable of don't require a lot of communication.
>>
>>27645797
>Poor people don't learn second languages
You don't understand. I'd wager that 99% of the people here speak Spanish. So they aren't limited. I see people with high paying jobs, nice cars, etc. and actively refuse to learn English because they hold onto this mentality of "We are in Miami so I don't have to". Sure they'll never leave Miami but they don't want to. And when Florida finally floods they'll be infecting a town near you.
>>
>>27644509
here to shill for dixcel z-type pads, great if you have a nip car that doesn't have yellowstuffs or hawks or similar pads available. not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for. lots of dust, but personally i think it's worth never worrying about brake fade no matter how hard i thrash it.
>>
>>27644899
Then the raybestos are probably fine desu.
>>
>>27644779
>so is the math
shut the fuck up retard
I'm not playing your fucking game, you can look up the proofs yourself, though I doubt you'd understand them.
>>
Fuel hose fittings. Do you need a hose clamp over the hose when it goes over the barbed ends or no? Ive heard differing opinions on this. Most setups I've seen DO NOT use one.
>>
>>27645239
>>27646043
Yeah it's just hard to find info on what's a "reputable brand" for normie shit, I'm familiar with everything you're talking about, it's going to take a track car with Gloc R12s 3-5x a year when I have time/money for an event. I'll probably do the Raybestos since I used them on a Corolla beater and they were good.

You're right, Brembo/Akebono/Raybestos/Powerstops are probably fine. The Thermoquiets are on sale though so might try them. I'm a cheap bastard too, it's going on a Frontier rated to 6000lbs but I also have a front BBK I did for a whole $300 (front calipers/rotors from a 05-06 Titan/V8 Pathfinder that run a inch bigger rotors in diameter and use a physically bigger pad, uses the same MC as the original) so it should be fine with running close to the max (towing like 5000lbs 2-4 hours mostly flat to local tracks)
>>
>>27643244
>>27643255
>>27643482
>>27644698
UPDATE: Finally got around to looking for the culprit tonight and found out this loose turn signal was just smacking against the bracket that i ASSUME is for the front bumper. The engine shakes a bit on startup so that probably explains why it only made noise after a cold start. I drove it earlier and heard the knocking when I drove over bumps too fast as well. God I feel so fucking retarded. Embarrassed, but relieved. I fucking love this car again.
>>
>>27646627
>turn signal
I meant to say the side marker bulb*
>>
>>27645783
Report them to ICE
>>
>>27646395
are you putting rubber hose on there? or do you have the crimp tools? rubber hose 100% use hose clamps
>>
>>27646636
>he thinks ICE's job isn't aiding and abetting the illegal invasion of the USA
oh you sweet summer child
>>
>>27643272
I drive an SUV
My other car is an SUV
My previous car was also an SUV
>>
>>27643281
Could be a transmission mount worn out.
>>
File: 20230319_190729_110931.jpg (2.55 MB, 3264x2448)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
>>27643706
This one is vw bug based, so its incredibly easy to work on. Some hippie could completely rebuild it while tripping on acid. That being said, my brother has had it for 20 years and its never run cause hes retarded. Anyways hes having health problems and finally gave up. so you can buy it for $2500 if you're interested in going to central Oregon
>>
>>27644849
if you have a fleet of cars or work on buddies' cars yeah it makes sense. in my case, i just regassed my car once and that was it. i end up needing it again though, since my car got totalled and i got another that needs to be regassed. plus if i might be able to be the neighbourhood AC regas guy.
>>
>>27646674
>hes having health problems
pic related?
>>
>>27646639
Yea as I'm looking again I 100% need a clamp. The ones not using clamps were OEM that used Nylon (but when did the fuel line transition from Nylon to rubber? Because it's rubber at the hard lines near the chassis). When I get it running again maybe I'll pay someone to fix it up better and do nylon or something. I just don't trust this shit.
>>
I mounted all my summer tires on rims and only now realize there's an inside and outside label on each one, and I put half of them on wrong. Do I have to redo them and get them all going the right way? Based on the chalk markings I had on them the shop that mounted them last didn't bother putting them on right either. I don't really get why it would be a problem because the tire rotation diagram in my manual eventually swaps the direction of the tread anyway.
>>
File deleted.
>>27646709
Diabetic ketoacidosis and some sort of infection. That actually isnt his mess, he was an OTR trucker but he lost his health certification cause he ran out of metformin and didnt bother refilling it or checking blood sugar and he kept eating lots of carbohydrates. he was supporting our other brother who multiplies dogs and trashes the place, so when he lost his job he had to return the truck & stay in the dump and he got really sick.
>>
File: images (18).jpg (7 KB, 275x183)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>27646727
Ah...the car had quick disconnects on the hardline and the fuel rail. Fuck that must be nice. I don't think the hard line at the chassis could accept a quick disconnect on this year. Oh well.
>>27646736
Directional tires is a big fucking deal if they are directional. People have hydroplaned because retards put them on wrong. What tire ?
>>
File: 1706801178885240.jpg (45 KB, 700x524)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
What is the most vertically integrated mainstream car company? Except tesla
>>
>>27646829
Toyota and Hyundai/Kia down to owning their suppliers and steel company.
>>
>>27646775
They look similar to this. Two rings doing the same thing and a single ring mirroring them. I guess I have to have the single ring closest to the outside so I'll just have to do them again.
>>
>>27646839
It appears to be an asymmetric pattern so being on the wrong side maybe isn't the worst thing like those V pattern treads but I would imagine the outside should face the outside.
"The asymmetric tread pattern of the Pilot Sport 4S features side-by-side, 24 Hours of Le Mans-derived compounds. The low-void outer shoulder utilizes a new dry-focused hybrid tread rubber for improved dry handling and braking over the previous generation tire, while the center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a silica-infused wet compound designed to increase wet braking performance. The computer-modeled Variable Contact Patch 3.0 optimizes pressure distribution across the contact patch through turns, reducing hot spots and improving tire life during aggressive use."
>>
>>27646844
*Directional and facing the wrong direction can be different things I suppose, since those V pattern treads probably can be on either side but must face the right direction. And it's too late for me to think correctly but if a tire is asking you to put one side always on the outside that probably forces directionality as well.
>>
Can mechanical speedometers be tuned somehow if I were to take random speedometer and put it on my chink moped with 12" wheels?
Is there some magic word I should be searching? "Mechanical speedometer" gets me a couple of models for vintage mopeds.
And is there a standard regarding the speedometer cable rotational speed? Chink moped making me want to rip out the half assed wiring along with the digital LCD display.
>>
>>27646905
>chink moped
>digital LCD display
Does it even have a speedo cable? It probably uses a hall effect sensor somewhere. If you want an analogue gauge you can just fit one that receives digital signal.
>>
>>27628775
Should I invest in flying lessons and maybe publish and save up for a classic aircraft (Welch OW-5 or Aeronca C or K series) or should I save up for a classic car?

Flying lessons and classic car would probably cost the same, as my budget for both are around $25k (lessons are for PPL and tailwheel cert).
>>
File: sillyness.png (54 KB, 917x688)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
Extremely long shot, but did I dream of a real car?
I had a head on collision with a deep blue sports car with pop up lights surrounded by black, something along the lines of my paint sketch.
I thought it was a murrican car I'm not used to seeing like a Viper(?) but googling it says no.
>>
>>27647540
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zA52uNzx7Y4&pp=ygUOYmx1ZSBlaWZmZWwgNjU%3D

Probably a Corvette. Heres the song that goes with your dream btw
>>
File: 1684788856679618.jpg (581 KB, 2048x1536)
581 KB
581 KB JPG
>>27647557
Well shit, it was either a Corvette C5'ish look or some sort of a mix up with Vipers (and the reason I started searching with the latter name.)
Both models spring up here in summer time. It wasn't a pressing issue but cheers, anon.
>>
>>27643993
>went to test drive a camry because i saw a crimson red one on the road that i really liked the color of
>need a new car anyway, so i was prepared to sign that day if they had the color i wanted
>test drive a camry that isnt the right color
>"ok, i want this car but in crimson red"
>"sorry, they stopped making camrys in that color in 2022"
JUST
is there a reason why they went back to supersonic red, which isnt even that great of a shade of red? i just decided to leave after i found out they stopped making it in the color i wanted. i looked at the 2025 series of camrys with the body style change, and it is also in shitty supersonic red!
>>
File: 1690591819697086.webm (3.33 MB, 1034x1838)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB WEBM
Is this idler pulley still good?
>>
File: adsfklsdfk.png (630 KB, 805x584)
630 KB
630 KB PNG
>>27628775
How bad can my headlights be before restoring them isn't an option? I got a fixer upper and the headlights are about as bad as picrel. I know I'm not gonna get crystal clear headlights but will sanding etc actually make a difference at this point?
>>
>>27647748
Good Restoring kits are cheap and only take an afternoon to do with the right tools.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39195-Headlight-Restoration-Heavy-Duty/dp/B08745K56G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2DZ3R38RWOW9P&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.pK9a_wXGnVQhrjP-b_7FauqIq1OgleBIAv6G88gXmeDLBPhnTxOdeE-dvJw-E5fuRXThKRQRV_zs5QSWMfeKv-7NOxZRfA6oDeqX9vlFPwk0_4ChxbUYompU5uhiJd1wA2VOJfOR7b45K9Urq-oGc_G4u7ewYlyFK1y8-owbTcvp9m0Tmr6oUeLkBpcRVDfx-Glt8VoUnT3HnW5iLA4FoigjYWCRKPjXBLOX0izRf-1yJa81hf1awv-ahJ7gTlOSU-6JZpUCXxQwcu4GbKQTHvkO53YPhDZ4gBXnaVJgnXo.WTbg7x6r1ZtXRgZJMqe2ZCswlhYVCWlk4RPhQ4hRJ78&dib_tag=se&keywords=3m%2Bheadlight%2Brestoration%2Bkit&qid=1715461073&sprefix=3m%2Bhead%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-2&th=1

And yes you can get them close to crystal clear provided you follow the instructions.
>>
>>27647729
No ones going to be able to tell shit from you spinning it by hand.

Does it wobble any? Does it make noise when running?
>>
>>27646736
>>27646775
anyone have the pic of the miata that spun out and crashed because he put directional tyres on backwards?
>>
>>27647729
This >>27648118

Shake it around and see if it wobbles around. Or if it’s noisey, just replace it.
>>
File: C3.png (651 KB, 786x514)
651 KB
651 KB PNG
>>27647540
Corvette C3
>>
How much damage does sitting for 6 months do to a car, if any?

It has air suspension if that matters.
>>
>>27648200
Probably just batteries. Make sure the tires ride smooth before you hit top speed.
>>
>>27648200
wouldn't hurt to turn the crank pulley by hand a couple times. stick a socket and bar/ratchet over the crank pulley bolt and turn. turns the oil pump so it pushes oil throughout the engine so it won't run as dry on the initial start up.
>>
File: IMG_0898.jpg (64 KB, 763x677)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Anyone know what can I do to fix this clip ?
I bought a new fuel gas cap for my chally, to replace the old chrome one.
When installing it, I noticed that the cap was a little loose on a side, which is not very noticeable but small details make my skin itch.

I took it off and saw that the clip was lifted up, and it didn’t have that springy hold as compared to the rest of the clips.
>>
File: IMG_0906.jpg (2.34 MB, 4032x3024)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>>27648483
Nvm, I swapped the original holder assembly(?) and it werks now
>>
I have a random buzzing coming out of my garage. Girlfriend looked it up and says it might be a car electrical thing. What do you guys think? Never posted here before. White collar dumb ass here. I could have sworn my old man said garage door openers do it sometime. I dunno.
>>
>>27648131
No but that's a classic image. Also happened to someone on here. His Honda. Mounted backwards, lost traction in a turn in wet conditions.
>>
>>27648983
Does it buzz when there's no car in it?
>>
>>27648983
Probably some electrical thing. Do you have a heat pump or other high power electric device in there? My heat pump cycles depending on weather mostly.
>>
>>27648983
Yeah, garage door openers will do it. I have a feeling it might be an interaction with LED lights installed in the opener.
>>
>>27649109
*or maybe not. Mine buzzes with no lights, it just gets louder when the light switch is turned on (even with no bulbs in it)
>>
File: Rust.png (2.6 MB, 1290x905)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB PNG
Is there a way I can prevent my cab corner from rusting more?
>>
>>27649155
yes. Remove it. Paint it..put fluid film over it and surrounding areas. Fluid film definitely helps keep moisture off.
>>
>>27649181
Do I remove it with a wire brush or do I have to use a grinding wheel
>>
>>27649208
A wire wheel or wire brush is fine. A grinding wheel would be a bit much. I always use primer as well so it really sticks. It never looks good though but my concern is stopping any chance of rust. Paint on its own just doesn't stick well a lot of the time and you want it to stick since you're stripping shit back to bare metal..
>>
>>27648240
>>27648280

Thank you.
>>
Are injectors supposed to leak when you pull them out with them still connected to the fuel rail?
I'm trying to diagnose an issue with running rich, trying to figure out if I have leaky injectors. I unbolted and unplugged everything, pulled the fuel rail up and seemingly only injector #1 dumped a bit of fuel initially, but didn't seem to leak afterwards when I primed the fuel pump. I have no easy way to check the fuel pressure, so can't test it that way
>>
>1.25L 2014 Ford Fiesta
>3 owners
>40,000 miles
>Full service history
>6,000 Bong bucks
How did I do? I think it was an amazing deal.
>>
A friend of mine said that sometimes the PDK distance sensor goes out in 981 Boxsters and that it costs like 8-10k to fix at an independent shop and I dunno that sounds like a total rip off for a sensor, even for something German that could be a real pain in the ass to get to. I haven't even seen prices that high for difficult engine work on S-class Mercedes, much less a sensor. At worst with a sensor I've maybe seen the actual cost of one go around $600.
>>
>>27650020
>6,000 Bong bucks
Maybe average, looking at eBay? Not exactly amazing. Ignoring the fact that £6,000 can get you a Manual RWD sports car with 276 bhp, I'm seeing (admittedly higher mileage) examples for as low as £2,500. Maybe the FSH and lower mileage warrant the additional cost, but otherwise I think your deal is... average-ish. I guess. Good job avoiding the 1.0 ecoboom though, the Zetec is a far better motor.
>>
>>27650454
Does it help that I bought it from a reasonable dealership? I forget the term for it not being an unofficial place.

>ecoboom
I think I'll be paying extra tax for avoiding that mistake.
>>
>>27650510
>Does it help that I bought it from a reasonable dealership
If that means it came with some kind of warranty, then yes, that does sweeten the deal some as peace of mind is worth a fair chunk of change on it's own. That being said though, even official dealers are capable of being scumbags, so don't count your chickens.

>I think I'll be paying extra tax for avoiding that mistake.
Worth every penny. The cost of that extra tax is still less than the cost of replacing a blown ecoboom. I like Fords, but they really REALLY fucked up with that engine... Shame.
>>
>>27650539
Remind me, are the 14 plates still the type of Fiesta where you need to worry about the timing belt after 100,000 miles and/or 10 years? If so, a 2014 Fiesta could be as bad as an Ecoboom.
>>
>>27650547
Depends on the engine rather than the year, but for the Zetec I think the official Ford guidelines are as you say. Sounds a little long to me, but meh.

>If so, a 2014 Fiesta could be as bad as an Ecoboom.
Still better than an ecoboom. My nephew had his 1.0 Ecoboost blow at very low miles and only a few years old. The wet belt not only causes premature snapping, but also deposits the disintegrating rubber into the oilpan, clogging up the oil system and starving the engine. It's just a fundamentally flawed design.
>>
Is getting ethanol worth the extra money for daily driving? What about racing?
>>
>>27650666
NON-ethanol
>>
ok so I have an 87 325ic and she runs great except for sometimes while on long hot drives it has sudden power loss. ill be driving with no problems and then boom no power. this only lasts for about a half second then it starts again but only for a minute or so before it looses power again. each time it looses power the engine runs more and more poorly until it dies and wont start again. the weird thing is it always starts right up after sitting a while. it seems to based on heat but also seems to be an electrical issue. The check engine light comes on under heavy engine load which makes me think its the o2 sensor setting off the light due to unburnt fuel. maybe my ignition system is failing somewhere?
>>
>>27650670
Probably not, unless it’s an old car with fuel lines and other components that don’t like ethanol.

>>27651107
Is it worse when you’re on the highway with a lot of throttle or sitting in traffic without much throttle?

I would be curious to check fuel pressure at startup and then try to get another reading right when it dies on you on a hot day. Any fuel vapor smell?
>>
File: IMG_2827.jpg (2.63 MB, 4032x3024)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
>>27628775
What part is this?
This is a 1994 ford escort wagon with the 1.9L engine
I just had a fuckton of work done to it including an entire engine rebuild, new gaskets all around, new brakes, etc
And something is leaking a very small amount of coolant low on the engine
>>
File: IMG_2829.jpg (3.13 MB, 4032x3024)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
>>27651329
It’s not a lot, I’m not shitting my pants over it, it’s not getting into any oil or vice versa
But I don’t know what thing I’m looking at
>>
>>27651334
That’s the AC compressor
It’s not leaking coolant, something above it is
>>
>>27628775
Looking to buy a new daily, located in USA (mountain time zone). Seen a few Hilux Surf around my place and they seem to fit the bill.

>diesel (for fuel economy)
>not german
>can be had in manual
>still useful for trips to the desert and up mountain trails
>capable of pulling a small trailer when necessary (for motorcycle track days)

Any alternatives? Recommendations? Insight?
>>
>>27651334
Check the coolant hose above it...it's probably a big 2" diameter one. Feel underneath it. That's probably what's leaking..
>>
I genuinely have mos growing on the roof of my van. How do I get rid of it without destroying the paint
I'm assuming it's already fucked the paint underneath and will need to patch it up.
>>
first time car owner. i need to replace the tires on my 2018 corolla, the stock tires are finally getting thin. i only drive on the weekends, but about 5-6 times per year i do a 1000 mile trip for family. the only thing that bugs me about the car is that it's a little loud in the cab on the highway. i've already put sound dampening in the doors which helped a bit, but what i'm debating right now:

would the jump in price from $70x4 tires to $200x4 tires make a huge difference in noise? All of the recommended "lowest road noise" tires are around $200 per tire. It's not exactly something I can A/B test to see the difference; just gonna buy whatever and live with it for another 5+ years.
>>
>>27652183
I did the BF Goodrich “Quiet” tires on the wife’s car a couple months ago. That Civic has always been pretty loud on the highway. It had the factory tires before, which are decent. I’d say I noticed like a 30%-40% drop in that road noise depending on the road surface. The Jappo tin can still hums on the highway but it’s more tolerable. So it’s up to you.

The only thing I would say, if you’re going from stock tires that are from a good brand and you go to the cheapest $70 tires, you might see a significant increase in road noise. So if it’s $70 per tire for more noise, or $150 for equal tires and the same noise, or $200 for the quiet tires, the price jump isn’t as bad to get less noise.
>>
File: IMG_2835.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>27651673
>>27651355
Thanks anons
I’ll have the shop look at it because I can’t see that well up in there to tell, and it’s their thing to fix anyway after all the work they just did

It didn’t leak overnight, so i presume it’s only leaking when the car is running, I left a paper towel under where it was dripping to see if any more dripped, the paper towel is just the same as it was
Ignore the giant puddle of oil, that’s why the engine was rebuilt, that has stopped leaking.
>>
Can I just put the small oil leaks in my engine off and have the guy who changes my oil every 6 months check and see if they got any worse?
>>
>>27652683
Yeah
As long as you’re monitoring your oil to make sure the levels don’t dip too low, most oil leaks aren’t a huge issue
But they make a huge mess, keep in mind the entire underside of your engine slowly getting coated in oil which makes sourcing the leaks a lot harder
>>
Can't get the Phillips screws out of my brake rotors. What do
Already soaked them with PB blaster and beat em with a hammer/socket extension.
>>
>>27651245
it will happen at any throttle position. the only conditions it happens in are hour+ long drives on hot days. It smells like its unburnt fuel. Sorta like an improperly tuned carb
>>
>>27652861
Pic related. Thank me later. Google “impact screwdriver” or “manual impact driver”. The bigger ones are like 5/16” hex bits or some shit and will come with PH3 and PH4 bits and they’re what everybody uses for those brake rotor screws.

>>27652918
Wondering if a fuel line gets hot and shit is vaporizing and not pumping right. Any fuel lines near the exhaust? Maybe some heat wrap could help.
>>
>>27652683
Sure, but it’s going to make a mess and oil leaks are always going to get worse, so you might as well fix as soon as you can. Also like other guy said, don’t let her run low.
>>
I was degreasing the front of my engine (n52) with the accessory belt off to clean all the shit from the oil filter housing leaks and I spun the ac pully and it kind of squeaks. Did I just degrease the bearing for the pulley? Should I even be concerned? I have the water pump off so I have direct access right now if I need to replace but I have never replaced AC before.
>>
>>27652918
Probably your ignition coil(s) overheating. Check all of the related electrical connectors for corrosion, and maybe replace the coils
>>
>>27652958
Spray a tiny bit of grease right where you want it if you think you cleaned grease from a place it should be
>>
>>27652958
Its probably fine. Turning that pulley turns the compressor which compresses and vents during the cycle. If its loose, wobbly or grindy that's a problem
>>
Retard here. What'd happen if you let off the gas pedal in a dual clutch transmission car, kept it in gear and went up a steep hill? I assume the tranny would downshift but what happens when you're in first going uphill?
>ECU steps on the gas to keep the car crawling or
>tranny shifts into neutral and rolls back unless there's hill assist
Can someone elucidate?
>>
>>27653141
If it’s a DCT that creeps like a normal automatic car when you let off the brake from a stop, it will probably downshift to 1st as you near a stop and then creep.

Could potentially vary based on the vehicle and how the trans is programmed too, because there’s lots of automated manual trucks that will go into N after being on the brake for awhile, and they won’t creep if you let off the brake, you have to actually hit the accelerator pedal to get it into 1st. But even then, that thing would probably keep downshifting as you go up the hill, it’s going to drop down to the lowest gear it can that will keep you moving at idle. If it was a super steep hill will 1st gear in idle somehow won’t keep you rolling, then it could possibly drop it into N because the trans might not command the throttle to give more fuel.

That’s my armchair response.
>>
>>27652941
Yeah that's what I was wishing I had the whole time. I ended up stripping the shit out of the screw and borrowing my roommate's truck to go buy a set of extractors lmao.
In the end I think just sticking the extractor in and hammering on it did more to get the screw loose than the extractor itself did.
At least it's all done now.
>>
how to buy parts from auto parts store? if I give them the OEM part numbers will they be able to get me the aftermarket equivalent? or do I need to give them the aftermarket part numbers? its for engine and cabin air filters for a honda civic.
>>
>>27653413
Go to their website and put what car you need parts for and it tells you the number
Sometimes they have books or tablets in store that will tell you what filters are compatible
>>
>>27652941
I thought it could be vaporlock I just never hear about that on fuel injected vehicles, but I guess it is possible.
>>27652969
I didnt realize coils could overheat. this is what I get for moving to florida lol.
>>
>>27653413
Go ask them for filters, tell them its for a 2006 BMW x5. They will use the computer to find filters that fit an x5 and then you go install them in the parking lot & get mad and yell at them that they dont fit your car.
>>
>>27653428
thanks
>>
File: rsz_kimg0677.jpg (170 KB, 792x1408)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
Just installed a new set of heads on an SBC. Applied permatex high temp sealant to the threads as I should. However, when I did the first couple of bolts the sealant wasn't mixed as well as I'd hoped from the tube and wasn't a uniform white color like the rest of it.

Do I leave it and run it as is, or should I take those bolts off and clean them up and apply fresh sealant? If I do take them out, would I need to take the head off and redo those threads?
>>
luker here, I was emailing an dealership on OTD pricing on a scat pack (yes I know...no I'm not black). it was on "sale" for 43,181 with their incentives and dealership discount. When I message them the OTD price I was given 48,008, 5k added due to Tax, Title, License and fees. I asked to get in writing to overlook it, (which Im sure is a red flag for them).

This morning I was sent en email which I will only post the first part "It is against company policy to send numbers over the phone, text, or email. I can only provide that information in the store" They were very hesitant on me coming in. Im not a negoitater since this is my first time so I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere but I also feel like this a red flag that I must be at their store for the price, am I wrong somewhat. sorry for the blog
>>
>>27653581
$5k is a bit much. Taxes here would be 6.25% of sales price, so $2800. Title etc isn't much at all. $200. The last $2k they tacked on is probably an internal dealership fee that can be negotiated down but they really don't want to..they'll probably call it a destination charge or some shit that they paid for the car to be hauled there forever ago (but $2k is bullshit and they can fuck themselves).
They don't want to talk real numbers over the phone because they want you physically there to pressure you into just making a sale.almost every dealership is like this. They don't want to give you the real OTD price, they want it to be difficult to cross shop dealerships so they want you to show up, get pressuredz and walk out with a car you paid $2k on top of for a window tint and a "ceramic coat" on top of an extended warranty that cost the financer $500 but you $1500.
>>
>>27628775
Is a carfax report worth the money? Better yet is there a way to get the information without having to pay for it? I'd like to look into the history of my car to see what was done during what mileage so I know whether I need to replace things. If the fuel filter's never been changed I'd like to change it, I know the water pump was replaced at some point but I don't know whether the thermostat was too. Never seen a report before so I don't know whether it'd be worth a shit.
>>
I feel like I already know the answer to my question but I'm looking at a 2012 Accord EXL V6 that costs like $14-15k with 75k miles and a 2014 Subaru Legacy Sport that has tech/nav and newer shit at $12k with 110k miles. My question is which car should I buy? I feel like the Accord is the obvious answer but i'm bad with making a big decision
>>
I have literal moss growing on the roof of the 2017 van I bought 6 months ago. I suspect I came with it. How do I remove it without further fucking up the external coating of the van? I'm guessing it will have fucked the rust proofing and I'll need to re proof it and paint over. Even that aside do I just use vinegar or something harsher?
>>
>>27628775
help me brehs, is picrel a good choice for converting to a campervan?

> VW Crafter, 5 ton model with RWD and upgraded suspension
> 13 years old, 119.000 miles driven
> 2l Diesel engine

overall appearance is ok, it needs some work here and there of course. I'm not expecting any major mechanical issues with it soon. Still not sure if i should go for something with a little less mileage.

What do you brehs think?
>>
File: Camper.jpg (2.14 MB, 4000x1844)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>27654280
Picrel is my brother's Crafter that he converted into a camper, and it was pretty much identical to the one you're describing, bar the uprated suspension. It's been a pretty great vehicle so far, so I think it'll be ideal for you. Only thing I would maybe suggest is a "stage 1" (yes, cringe, I know) remap to up the boost a little. My brother's van was a little gutless with all the additional weight, and getting it remapped made a huge difference.
>>
Had engine misfires I changed spark plugs and cleared the codes. If something is wrong will check engine light come on again?
>>
>>27654305
If it’s OBD2, enough misfires should trigger fhe CEL. Also spark plugs rarely fix it, spark plugs last forever these days and that’s the dumb boomer fix for somebody hoping they can fix the misfire for $15. Most of the misfires are a bad coil or connection or maybe injectors.

That shit irks me because I’ve wasted too much time from dumb people asking me for help changing spark plugs because AutoZone told them they had a misfire, and the plugs never fix it so it turns into a bigger project since they relied on AutoZone idiots and Google instead of calling somebody who knows what they’re doing from the beginning.
>>
>>27654295
thanks for the advice, i'll see when it's up to it's converted weight
>>
>>27653600
I had I feeling that there would be a cost of 2000-3000ish originally for the taxes and titles and fees, etc. Maybe not for the title costing thousand, but I had a double taken when they told me the "OTD" price added the 5k extra.

When the salesperson kept on asking me when I was coming in I knew that this was going nowhere, cause I'd told him though email I wanted to see the list of everything for the price before committing a 10hr drive to them just for the deal not to go through since it would be fruitless. Thanks anon for the advice anon appreciate it, guess I be looking somewhere else
>>
Before the thread dies, why are these Fords going so cheap? It's not the first I've seen.
https://www.lookers.co.uk/used-car/ford/fiesta/1-25-style-3dr/id/618452
>>
>>27628775
Any recommendations on car vacuums?
>>
Casual driver here. Only drive for work and holidays. My engine squeaks when driving (especially with AC on) and I'm pretty sure it's the aux belt. I have a 2013 Hyundai i10 and am wondering if it's worth trying to do myself or just taking to the shop for £80.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.