[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (10 KB, 291x173)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Why do most luxury cars, even sedans, still come in RWD? Is there something i'm missing for why they won't make the switch?
>>
>>27664144
FWD is for faggots
>>
>>27664144
4wd and awd are switched
>>
>>27664144
Most luxury sedans are awd
>>
>>27664144
It mostly depends on the company and what their goal has been. Cadillac went fwd for most of the 90s into the 2000s. Lincoln also went fwd for a lot of cars as well later on, and volvo has been doing it too. Depending on if the company makes performance/track variants is what really determines if their platforms will go to transverse layout. Lincoln makes no sports car while cadillac does. Audi makes a handful of high performance models but remains mostly transverse. Volvo makes no high performance stuff, so there's nothing to lose with transverse. Companies simply want to allow more cabin space while offering awd, which is much easier to do without sacrificing handling in a transverse layout. Cadillac only has rwd stuff cause 90% of their market is V cars and escalades, with a handful of lower price cts/ats/etc. Its all about whats already been around and what sells for a company. Selling what works is easier than retooling and mass producing something you don't know will sell
>>
>>27664144
the switch to what
>>
>>27664144
do you need to understand every trend in every car you dont own
>>
>>27664144
Well only BEVs are considered luxury these days, and the least expensive setup for a BEV is RWD.
>>
>>27664144
>Is there something i'm missing for why they won't make the switch?
RWD is the default set up for optimal driving performance and feel.
FWD was invented because it's easier to package into economy cars.
The question is why did economy cars make the switch from RWD to FWD? Because it's easier to package a FWD car.
>>
>>27664154
FPBP
>>
>>27664144
It's because RWD proportions - a long hood and haunched rear 3/4ths, looks good first of all. Also driving characteristics for RWD are better at 10/10ths limit than FWD.
>>
>>27664144
plebs can’t handle RWD, so they reserve it for patricians
>>
>>27664144
awd has one serious flaw since the beginning of it that i can't believe nobody's overcome yet:
when you're stuck in mud or snow or sand or any other not-4-wheels-on-dry-pavement conditions, instead of sending power to all the wheels, it sends power to none of them.
it's so unbelievably retarded, i can't believe it ever made it past the drawing board. it's not even a design flaw or something inherent to the system itself. they literally make it that way on purpose. all it would take to fix it is probably a few extra lines of code in whatever bullshit traction-control module runs that shitshow.
i had a subaru outback that slipped off the edge of my driveway couple winters back. one wheel on the pavement, with a little ice under about 1/2" of snow, and three wheels on frozen earth with the same 1/2" of snow on top of it. for the life of me, i couldn't get the car to get back up on the driveway. every time one of the tires started to hop up over the "curb" (my driveway sits about 2" higher than my lawn), the tire about to go over the top would stop spinning, some other one would start, and i'd skid sideways down the driveway, inching closer and closer to a tree.
in the end, i tied up to an f150 - not even in 4wd in the same "adverse" conditions - and that thing pulled me back on to my driveway at an idle. didn't even give it any gas.
what's even the point of something like that?
>>
>>27664871
Just open diff things
>>
>>27664871
yeah no one's overcome this one flaw lmao
>>
>>27664871
turn off traction control dumbass
>>
File: 8temL0.gif (1.94 MB, 400x224)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
>>27664871
Sounds like you need one of these
>>
>>27664144
because trannies are for poors
>>
>>27664871
>instead of sending power to all the wheels, it sends power to none of them.

this doesnt happen with any awd car ever, wtf are you on about? even with open diffs it would always send power to the wheel with less resistance, what you described would only happen if it had no propshaft whatsoever.

>every time one of the tires started to hop up over the "curb" (my driveway sits about 2" higher than my lawn), the tire about to go over the top would stop spinning, some other one would start

yeah your car is broken
>>
>>27664163
nope
>>
>>27664144
Objectively superior driving dynamics, also it's much harder to fit the kind of engines people want in luxury cars
>V8
>V12
>maybe an I6
in an FF layout. Plus a big torquey luxury V8 in a FF configuration will torque steer which is very not luxurious. Volvo did a transverse I6 in the S80 many years ago, and continues to sell FF luxury cars, but they don't sell very well.

>>27665748
nah it was his open diff
>>
>>27664372
"READ ME"
how to identify a retarded post quickly
>>
>>27664871
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0c0z0W6aEE
Depends on the system, but yeah. Open diff.
>>27664144
In FWD the front tyres are doing everything. Turning, Braking, Accelerating. Plus they have 70% of the weight of the car (depending on the configuration) AWD has the benefits from FWD and RWD, the only cons are they weight more+more drivetrain loses, well also + price for extra parts
>>
>>27664144
because we are no longer in the era where you can get cheap rwd econoboxes. nor are we in the era where a l6 is the poverty option and a v8 is the norm
>>
>>27664154
IF IT AINT REAR YOURE A QUEER
>>
>>27664144
torque steer is not a luxury feature, nor is a transaxle
>>
>>27664166
Awd is dumb if you dont NEED it. I especially don't like how the tires need to all have the same thread wear or else you burn out diffs. It's extra maintenance. All this is great if you need it. But most people don't ever need it.
>>
>>27664176
The Lincoln Town Car never went FWD, it stayed RWD until it rode off into the sunset in 2011. I understand your point though
>>
>>27668541
>The Lincoln Town Car never went FWD, it stayed RWD until it rode off into the sunset in 2011. I understand your point though

Yes but after the town car ended in 2011 with the shutdown of the panther line, everything else was FWD. The Lincoln MKZ based off the Fusion is a front wheel drive car. Even when Lincoln brought back the Continental name for 2017-2020 and had a proper full size luxury car, they still had it as FWD because it was essentially just an elongated fusion. Now, that being said you could get it in AWD and with the 3.0tt it's a good setup, but it wasn't rear wheel drive based like other luxury cars like modern Mercs, BMWs, Lexus, Audi, etc
>>
>>27664144
FWD is for poor people concerned with fuel economy and who can't afford a big car. RWD means a bigger engine can be fitted, and the loss of interior space from the propshaft tunnel can be countered by simply making the car bigger. Both of which are only things wealthy people can afford these days.

Friendly reminder the eurotrash "bigger doesn't equal better" cope is just sour grapes. It's because they can't afford a bigger car, so they have to convince themselves that a little shoebox is "better anyway". There's a reason why their kings ride around in V12 Rolls Royces and Maybachs.
>>
>>27669094
The FWD oldsmobile and cadilacs of the 60s and 70s had 425 cu inches engines or bigger, i'm sure engine size isn´t a problem for fwd drivetrains. Torque steer also wasn't a problem for them either even though they had over 475 lbs of torque and weighed over 4500 pounds.
>>
>>27664154
/thread
>>
>>27669214
torque steer is not an issue in any longitudinal FWD drivetrain (i.e. Audi, Subaru, classic Saab) because the half shafts are the same length
>>
File: s-l1600 (2).jpg (55 KB, 1072x943)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>27669286
trannies can have equal length shafts too with this one simple trick

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.