[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'll be wild camping in a place on the border of mountain lion ranges but it's very common for them to wander into the area I'll be.

I'm not bringing any food since I plan to eat fish. So the only odor shit I'll have is toothpaste. So should I bring baking soda? Does that have any smell affect on mountain lions? I'm not going to be in grizzly country so mountain lions are the main concern.
>>
>>2732383
You will not be attacked by a mountain lion.
>>
>>2732383
I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it in a double set of zip locks and you'll be fine. Typically they won't go for anything if you (and preferably some extra buddies) are around. Just make sure that if you're fishing, you don't get the guts on your clothes or gear, since that definitely will draw them.
>>2732393
He isn't asking about defense. He's asking about them rummaging through his shit, which is a real and common concern. You'd know this if you went outside.
>>
>>2732412
>which is a real and common concern.

No it isn't. Maybe if you abandon your campsite, but if people are there, cougars won't be.
>>
>>2732383
It's well known that Bears and Mountain Lions can smell toothpaste from well over a mile away. I wouldn't take my chances.
>>
File: buffalo trace.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2732416
>>2732383
Just bring whiskey instead.
>>
You are also in moose territory, while food will not necessarily attract them they are far more dangerous than a mountain lion. In my opinion more dangerous than a brown bear as well. No thanks to seeing a moose on the trail up close.
>>
M8 you fucken stink to a wild animal regardless of what you've got in your backpack.
>>
>>2732444
It’s hard to believe that mad lads bow hunt those Goliaths. A pissed off moose is menacing.
>>
Unless they are rabid, cougars don't really give a shit about you and will avoid you. I got caught between my truck and front door with a cat crossing my yard about 15 feet away. He gave me that creepy witch screaming hiss thing they do. My nuts were in my throat, but he turned and walked off. Hiking I've seen a few in the trees and they just eyeball you. Baking soda is a good choice anyway.
>>
>>2732383
Why bring toothpaste? Just use the brush, floss, and water if you are paranoid.
>>
>>2732383
black bears are a far bigger worry for smellables storage. I’m assuming there would be some because generally the ranges overlap. mountain lions do not give a fuck about our food, or us in general.

BUT i would not care at all about toothpaste. I never put that shit or my chapsticks or sunscreen or whatever other non-food smellables in a bear can or anything. preventing access to any smellables is really only an issue in places with serious bear problems, like campground in national parks in the sierras.
far more of a concern is any of your cooking/eating stuff that has fish smell, but again way more of a concern for bears than mountain lions.

ultimately I’ve never known anyone to take precautions for mountain lions, only bears.
>>
>>2732444
How is a moose dangerous? Just stand behind a tree?
>>
>>2732773
>ends statements with question marks
>woman logic
Checks out
>>
File: 1484872934643.gif (2.15 MB, 500x306)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB GIF
>>2732412
>I wouldn't worry about it.
yeah ok i know what you're up to
>>
>>2732383
Way better to bring your own vac sealed de-hydrated meals than fish freshly caught.

The fish oils will persist. Chili mac with water aroma flees.

Good luck avoiding critters, anon. You'll need the luck.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.