[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images[1].jpg (5 KB, 168x300)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I wanna become one of those "street portrait" guys who makes the videos I see all over instagram reels. Only issue is that I want to start a new account to do this, and don't have any street portraits to post to start, nor do I have any followers. How do I get started when people will inevitably ask to see my instagram when I say "hey I take photos of strangers for instagram, could I take some pictures of you?" and they say "sure, what's your ig name?"

buying followers is not an option since that basically gets your account shadowbanned.

Pic is not my image, nor is it even a very good one but it came up when I googled "street portaiture"
>>
>>4311872
I was about to advise you to start with your friends but i remembered we're on 4chan
>>
>>4311872
That sounds like a stupid waste of time.
>>
>>4311872
Just be honest at first. Get around 50 or 60 good portraits and stsrt posting one every day or two. Dress nicely, be flattering, but not creepy. Consider having a card with your info or something to give them so they can see their portrait. Everyone starts somewhere...
>>
>>4311872

First thing, can you take portraits in general?
>>
>>4311872
hire models. That's what the top 1% do anyway
>>
File: R1-00375-0015.jpg (983 KB, 1200x1800)
983 KB
983 KB JPG
>>4311872
that's not an issue. i do street portraits all the time and i've never shown ig first. if anyone presses you, you can be upfront and say you're just starting out. ir you can bring up one of the big pages as an example of what you're going for. that should be good enough for most

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.36
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2024:04:10 20:27:34
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>4311872
They don't ask they just take photos of everyone in the street as they pass by
Just get a telephoto lens that way you always have nice subject/background separation and can stay far away from the people whose souls you steal
>>
>>4311872
Most of those reels are obviously fake all you have to do is think about it for a couple minutes. How often do you see nicely dressed women are done up and out walking alone? Secondly when women see a stranger taking photos of them they don't get smiley and giggly and start blushing. The women are probably hired models or his friends.
>>
>>4311927
This.
>>
File: 2024-05-09 170240.jpg (116 KB, 748x1023)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>4311872
As a 29 year old who owns multiple businesses across 5 different industries (and as someone who likes to waste free time shitposting and doing photography) I will stop you right here to tell you that photography is, first and foremost, an art form - and turning something that is supposed to be art, in this case photography, into a simple trade job that will earn you money, comes with a myriad of nonsensical garbage you will additionally have to improve on, obtain and/or learn, in addition to having to deal with the main problem of learning, gaining experience and improving on your photography. Turning art into a trade business and chasing money with it, always means you will not be able to fully focus on both sides of things and one will always have to suffer. You just don't have the mental capacity or time to do so (provided you are a human being and do waste 6-9 hours of your day on sleep), you will have to sacrifice the art side of things in order to chase money.

You will eventually find out that doing street photography as your primary (or secondary, or even tertiary) source of income is not worth the time or effort invested and will (only if you're lucky! - keep in mind!) barely bring in enough money to push you through life from month to month, which is a sad reality for close to 100% of street photographers who jump into this mess, thinking they will make a living off it, before knowing or being aware of everything that goes on behind the curtain... Anyhow, to keep it brief, street photography focuses too much on art side of things - and sadly, visual arts do not sell nowadays!

That's where fields like weddings, baptisms, pets, architecture/real estate, commercial, journalism and other similar photography fields come in... These and similar fields focus way more on profiteering, marketing and business side of things and if you want to lead an, not fancy but an above average lifestyle, then that's what you want to be doing - not street photography.
>>
>>4312018
faggot
>>
>>4312018
As a 47yo with 3 failed businesses I will say you should listen to this guy.
>>
File: 2024-05-09 171900.jpg (130 KB, 750x1030)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>4312027
It's just my advice. Take it or leave it. Nobody's forcing you to do anything.
>>
File: vw.jpg (1.88 MB, 1657x2500)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>4312032
>>4312018
All these businesses and bmws and still cant get a camera that can focus? Not exactly making me trust your advice AT ALL lol...

Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
>>4312018
if you want people to take your photo advice, you should post a good photo
my uncle works at nintendo just puts people on the defensive
>>
>>4312032
>>4312018

Did you take these pictures with a flip phone from 2009?
>>
>>4312050
It's a snapshot from my helmets intercom camera. Here's another piece of advice; Learn how to recognize and when to follow good advice. Again, nobody's forcing you, your life, your choice. When someone like me gives you business advice, you listen. Not being snobbish, condescending or patronizing here, just genuinely want to help. I try to give best and most honest advice I possibly can on any board I visit here (that is, when I'm not entertaining myself shitposting.)
>>
>>4311872
If you plan to work with photography, focus on improving your very basic skills and get a decent gear over time. Then slowly shoot free stuff until you build a portfolio with your best pics.
Finally, you can do that lame influencer shit, just for the likes.
>>
>>4311872
>guys who makes the videos I see all over instagram reels
Go back
>>
>>4311872
There is an inherent problem in saying "I want to be a X guy" instead of "I want to do X".
I didn't read the rest of your post. Get yourself sorted out.
>>
>>4312082
But why does it seem like so many of these “influencers” didn’t go through that process and kind of just found success? Is it luck? (((Connections)))? Sucking dicks? How do?
>>
>>4312079
Faggot
>>
>>4312272

Because they make it SEEM that way so they can form a network of parasocial retards who will idolize them for their perceived effortless skills.
>>
>>4311880
Yeah I unironically don't have a ton of friends kek

>>4311887
Fair advice, thanks anon

>>4311890
Kind of? I could use the practice but I think I'm ""ok"" at portraiture and I like it

>>4311894
fair enough. I guess I could.

>>4311898
Thanks anon. Do you mostly shoot mexicans? Maybe they don't understand what you're saying so they just go along with it

>>4311909
I already do street photography and I think that's where I get my best (or at the very least my favourite) shots, but I wanna strap a go pro on and speak to people and take their portraits.

>>4311927
I see attractive and/or interesing looking people out and about all the god damn time. I was at a train station last week and there was a goth chick there smoking a cigarette and she had this star thing over one of her eyes and I think she would've made a really cool portrait, she just had a lot of character but I felt weird going up and asking to take her photo without having evidence that I was a ""real"" photographer. Like I feel like people are going to say no to me because they think I'm gonna put their images up in my goon cave or something, lol.

>>4312018
I'm primarily doing it for attention & likes, not necessarily profit. That being said I am also very interested in doing real estate photography and am going to shoot some family members houses in the near future to build my RE portfolio before reaching out to agents. I don't expect street photography to be a payday for me, it's more of a creative fulfillment thing.
>>
>>4312082
I have half decent equipment imo, ff mirrorless camera with a 50mm 1.8 & 24-105 4-7. 85mm is probably gonna be my next lens purchase.
>>
>>4312279

>I think I'm ""ok"" at portraiture and I like it

>Like I feel like people are going to say no to me because they think I'm gonna put their images up in my goon cave or something

If that's how you carry yourself.
>>
>>4312282
I'd feel bad posting a portrait of someone on 4chan without asking. I don't carry myself that way but idk I guess I'm very self conscious. It's part of why I wanna start doing street portraiture, getting better at speaking to people.
>>
>>4312272
If you see a lot of likes on a "reel" like that, with no much content besides someone taking portraits of random people on the streets, it means they're constantly reaching more people through the algorithm and probably many are bots.
Anyways, do whatever you feel like doing. You might create some interesting content for future clients, who knows.
>>
File: DSCF8251c.jpg (1.04 MB, 3000x2000)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>4312279
>Do you mostly shoot mexicans?
no that was the only person i've interacted with whom i couldn't talk to

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro2
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.36
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)135 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2024:01:28 01:24:10
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness4.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length90.00 mm
Image Width3000
Image Height2000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Blur StatusOK
Chroma SaturationNormal
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Auto Exposure StatusOK
Flash ModeUnknown
Focus ModeAuto
Focus StatusOK
Picture ModeManual Exposure
SharpnessNormal
Slow Synchro ModeOff
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4311872
>How do I get started
1.kidnap
2.protrait
3.rape
4.post
5.repeat
>people will inevitably ask to see my instagram
hahaha no worries, they never will

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.