[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712009990285178.jpg (114 KB, 635x946)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>Humanity/non-STEM majors can graduate with a bachelor's degree all the way up to a PhD without taking uber basic math (Calculus I-III, basic Probability/Statistics, Linear Algebra)

THIS is the reason why humanity majors are retarded brainlets that contribute nothing to the world. You can't be expected to be a scholar when you're missing the bare fundamentals of logic in the form of mathematics.

Did it always used to be this way, bros? What would the state of the world be if we collectively enforced the bare minimum of academic standards towards anyone trying to get a degree?
>>
>>16159708
Euclid was long considered required reading in a proper education up until about 100 years ago
>>
>>16159708
i think the main problem is the degradation of humanity majors.
you need to have a brain to do that math, but you don't need to do that math to have a brain. if the humanities were substantive enough (whatever that means), it ought to filter out brainlets on its own.
>>
>>16159708
Hence why humanities / psychology must go independent.

What exactly do they have that we can't build privately?
>>
>>16159708
Those are clown degrees, anybody who is not a complete idiot knows that. Is no surprise that even ChatGPT can score very high on them.
>>
>>16160062
they weren't always clown degrees.
calling them clown degrees now is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and it helps to erase the past higher standards.
complaining about things we have control over in an authoritative way is one of the best ways to help turn everyone into bugs.
>>
>>16159708
>THIS is the reason why humanity majors are retarded brainlets that contribute nothing to the world.
Except the humanities have been statistically proven to add more to the economy than they take away from it.
So cope and seethe, I can write emails and essays and you can't.
>>
>>16160144
>>16160144
>Except the humanities have been statistically proven to add more to the economy than they take away from it.
I suppose Law might be hard carrying, if true. Post your source so we can see.

>So cope and seethe, I can write emails and essays and you can't.
What humanities subject do you study? Economics?
>>
>>16161205
The logic of law actually closely follows mathematics. You start with the written law, and you apply the law to a scenario to arrive at a logical result. It makes cringe when wannabe prelaws wanna be a lawyer because "LOL I HATE MATH" when a student that actually knows the basics of constructing a mathematical proof and can write well (which is trivial if you're halfway smart) is way more prepared for the law than they are.

t. STEM working in patent law
>>
>>16159708
>intro to statistics required for humanities at my uni
>every year near finals subreddit gets flooded with "HELP STAT 1xx IMPOSSIBLE TO PASS", "4th time trying STAT 1xx the math department is corrupt!", "why math department doesn't curve!!! this is so unfair!!"
fucking makes me climax
>>
>>16161628
>t. STEM working in patent law
Watcha dooin?
I wanna dream that you're the guy who approves all the biotech patents.
Kind of like the FBI guy who has to watch all the CP videos.
You have to watch all the bioweapons get patented.
That would be a story.
>>
>>16161701
Why is stats so hard
Isn’t it literally just formula lugging?
>>
Calc 1-3 have nothing to do with logic. You can get As in all of them without significantly increasing anything besides perhaps your working memory for math formulas. I would rather they take a course in, you know, logic.

>>16161628
In the prelaw student's defense, they likely have never taken a proof-based math class, and thus have good reason to hate the math they've taken.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.