[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sheniqua.png (742 KB, 610x602)
742 KB
742 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhX1YaxUxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SVpGT7sN8
NASA BTFO
>>
général sur les vols spatiaux
>>
just make all the astronauts black women like the project managers and this wouldn't be a problem.
>>
It dey culcha.
>>
>>16172541
we wuz space kangs n shiet
>>
Bummer. But so is progress, they'll get it right.
>>
Chunks came off the heat shield wtf
>>
>>16172676
what do you think ablative means?
>>
>>16172679
Like I thought it came off in itty bitty microscopic dust sort of thing not like boulders blasting off the damn capsule shooting through the chutes.
>>
File: Moonbase.jpg (167 KB, 1440x1080)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>16172676
The theories I've seen so far have mostly been that the type of shield used doesn't scale well so while it worked for smaller craft, it's not going to be reliable on this size craft.
>>
>>16172717
With the amount of money put into this project I would have assumed they would have custom built it and used super computers to model.
>>
>>16172541
Wouldn't be the first time. Can't make an omelette without breaking few eggs.
>>
>>16172728
One of the selling points of the project was that they could save money be reusing existing technology. In this case, it appears they simply scaled things up and assumed everything would be ok as it's based on something that worked in the past.
>>
>>16172728
computer modeling doesn't work, its a big lie.
>i programmed the computer with how i think things work
>the computer confirmed that i'm correct
is the only possible outcome of a computer model and that outcome has no bearing on reality
>>
>>16172775
We know how air works, we know how most materials perform. Seems simple enough to throw that in and give a conservative safety margin.
>>
>>16172790
>we
you don't, you only presume that other people do and that what you're saying is possible because of your ignorance of the nuts and bolts of it all
>>
>>16173461
So you're telling me there's scientists absorbed in finding the particles that make up the particles that make up protons but we don't know how steel will react to fast moving air?
Maybe I should stop paying taxes.
>>
>>16172790
We don't know how to simulate either of those accurately on large scale at reasonable cost. A top supercomputer can be used at great cost but it still will only be an approximation. Sometime you just have to do physical experimentation and learn from it. In the process, you can improve simulations for that particular scale using what you learned from the physical experiment.
>>
>>16172541
???
The chud chutes aren't out when the heat shield is eating it
>>
>>16173937
yes and yes
>>
>>16173951
>Sometime you just have to do physical experimentation and learn from it.
you always have to do that anyway. what good is a computer model of something that doesn't exist?
>>
>>16172541
A culture of maximal aquisition costs and minimal execution overhead.

Simply Economics, like tofu dreg Chinese embezzlement schemes.
>>
>>16172717
Fucking literally...

https://youtu.be/nqicpx0adY4

Modernity is such a farce....these are the ones working at NASA....
>>
>>16176471
https://youtu.be/A8PWFU0f8Sc
>>
>>16172635
>WE WUZ ASTRONAUTZ
>>
I don't care about the spaceship gimme dem choco cream duds in my mouth. I'll blast my rocket right off of her chin.
>>
File: nasa cringe.jpg (608 KB, 1873x1200)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
>>16172541
Amazing NASA could bring people home from the moon 50 years ago and now they're no longer able to, whats changed about NASA since the 60s & 70s?
>>
>>16178051
>Complex Systems Won’t Survive the Competence Crisis
https://www.palladiummag.com/2023/06/01/complex-systems-wont-survive-the-competence-crisis/
>>
>>16178051
Bro we literally couldn't afford to maintain the factories that built the equipment, and we couldn't afford to refurbish them properly either. That's all there is. No one deleted the data, no one deleted the technology. We just don't have the means.
>>
>>16179377
NASA has bottomless budgets, they were able to spend $15billion on JWST that was originally supposed to be a $500 project and they spent all that to produce a telescope that was only 2/3 the size of what was originally intended
>>
File: i56453.png (455 KB, 640x480)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
>>16180510
>NASA has bottomless budgets
Some people should be banned from this board for being too fucking stupid. Jesus christ man. . .
Also, ever hear "they don't build them like they use to" There are so few, if any, skilled craftsman who can make spacecraft anymore with years and years of aeronautical experience and military aircraft experience. No one can build anything like the Gemini and Apollo equipment.
>>
File: jwst_april_2021.gif (277 KB, 879x485)
277 KB
277 KB GIF
>>16180522
>nasa doesn't have bottomless budgets
then how were they able to spend $88 billion on a $500million telescope?
name a single nasa project that has ever been canceled due to cost overrun
>>
>>16181082
https://warosu.org/sci/?task=search2&search_filename=jwst_april_2021.gif
>>
>>16172676
Is Boeing making this shit?
>>
>>16181082
They spent 88 billion? Gimme some sort of source for that. I hate the government and think it wastes money, but even to me that sounds hard to waste.
>>
>>16181082

>then how were they able to spend $88 billion on a $500million telescope?

because the DoD has a bottomless budget and can do whatever they want without having to justify it to congress every two years. You are not arguing seriously and are trolling.
>>
>>16181082

This is bait, you are just pretending to be retarded. But I'm a miscast and I'll bite.

Altair
Ares I
Ares V
Earth Departure Stage (Constellation)

Project Prometheus
Toggle the table of contents
X38
X33
HL-20

Space Technology 3
Space Technology 4
Earth Observing 2
Earth Observing 3 (GIFTS)
Space Technology 8 - Built but not flown
Space Technology 9

Gravity and Extreme Magnetism Small Explorer
Toggle the table of contents
International X-ray Observatory
Laser Interferometer Space Antenna
Mars Telecommunications Orbiter
Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter
Voyager mars program
Voyager 3
Deep space 3 and 4
Europa Orbiter
>>
>>16181656
NASA and the Department of Defense have separate budgets.
>>
>>16178051
idk, they need to hire some of those boeing engineers, like the white men who wrote MCAS, that'll work so much better
>>
>>16182243
why do you hate whites so much?
>>
>nobody can name even a single nasa project that has ever been canceled due to cost overrun even though nasa typically has cost overruns of more than 1000%
how do they spend more than 10x their budget if they don't have an unlimited budget?
>>
>>16172541
What pickup line would you use?
>damn woman, you make me want to gravity assist my rocket against those heavenly bodies.
>>
>>16183865
Please stop noticing, goy. Stop asking questions
>>
>>16181728
neither of them have budgets, they have a money printer that runs nonstop, continually devaluing all of your savings and everything you own, but you don't care about that because you're a dumb college kid and daddy pays all your bills for you
>>
>>16185816
Neither NASA nor the DoD owns a money printer and they both have budgets. Slinging insults won't change reality, it just makes it even more clear that you're completely wrong.
>>
>>16186173
they don't have budgets, they have unlimited funds

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.