[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: killdozer.png (793 KB, 640x640)
793 KB
793 KB PNG
A place for anything to do with Welding.

Post your welds, ask questions and discuss sticking metals together.

IDK I just want a place to talk about welding.

Old thread: >>2763067
>>
File: tortch.jpg (162 KB, 1068x1177)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
At work I use picrel torch kit. Carrying that shit by the handle sucks so I was thinking about using some of my ALICE straps I have laying around to nigger rig some sort of backpack kit. The closest existing product I can find on google is a multiple thousand dollar US military backpack kit. Any suggestions before I start dremeling slots and tying knots to make my life trudging up and down attic ladders less terrible?
>>
File: pack.jpg (61 KB, 570x864)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2798221
what about an old school aluminum hiking backpack frame? some have a shelf at the bottom and you should be able to find one at a thrift store cheap
>>
>>2798222
packframes are awesome, look at the roycroft packframe made of three sticks
>>
>>2798222
I'll consider that, I've even got one laying around. Mostly worried about adding bulk that would make the thing a pain to store and extract from the brazing compartment of the truck.
>>
>>2798221
Cart. Longer hoses.
>>
>>2798221
maybe you should look into strapping on some balls you fucking fairy
>>
File: 420H31_1.jpg (69 KB, 1000x1000)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2798221
I use one of these to carry the welder and all the welding bits around sites.
>>
File: junk.jpg (1.27 MB, 1080x1431)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
I was at a flea market and found a few bits for too little money to care but I have no idea if they're carbide or HSS, can someone identify them?
>>
>>2799090
Those look like metal to me
>>
>>2799092
1st and 3rd from the left look like they're brazed to a shank so they might be carbide, not sure about the other two they look machined from a single piece
>>
>>2798197
No shit, someone said last thread to grab an old ironing board out of the trash to use as a welding table, and I found one same day.
It is indeed all metal, and folds up. Thanks for the suggestion bros.
>>
>>2799152
I remember using one when I just started out kek, it was wiggly as fuck but I combined it with a stove top, the cast iron one and clamped shit to it.
I've had ideas of using pieces of sewage grating as a fixture table but can't find them for sale.
Might hire some gypsies to aquire it though
>>
File: regadapter.jpg (35 KB, 800x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2798221
I use an old backpack without a frame for my jump pack which weighs nearly the same as your torch rig (which I have several of worth of components, I just grab what I want and go).

Your idea is fine. I would avoid a bulky frame which is pointless. Other welders etc solved the problem in multiple ways long ago. The plastic tote is more compact and thoughtfully strapped will work fine. Shoulder pads (and rifle sling pads) are cheap and worth using for that weight. Many are velcro'ed so no web cutting to install.

For less weight I sometimes use medical oxygen cylinders with an adapter like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxygen-Adaptor-CGA870-to-CGA540-Medical-Aviation-Scuba-EMS-/131039931627

Picrel is mine from an old WeldingWeb post. I've used an old scuba tank harness for a fire extinguisher I modded to spray weed killer but haven't looked at dual cylinder rigs. They're often cheap used.
>>
>>2799261
Saw horses and some cement board are a popular quick hobby welding surface that's fireproof. I find using a Rigid tristand or equivalent handier for most work than a table. I welded a plate for my bench vise to some pipe then clamped the pipe in the tristand chain vise so I have choice of both and the bench vise rotates.

It's easy to weld a tripod from pipe and scrap if you get that cheap instead of a tristand.
>>
>>2799308
How about this idea
Rebar + self leveling concrete slab
Doesn't even need to be thick and you can make holes with pvc pipe before pouring it
>>
>>2799339
How level do you need and how large? It really depends what you're welding. For example mobile welding rig trucks don't have very large work surface areas. You can use a light metal folding table if you're not doing heavy work.

For practice a practice "tree" of vertical pipe to which items are clamped or tack welded is common in welding schools. We build them in our welding booths are the one I attended and worked for but it's also a handy way to hold parts by clamping. What you're welding is what matters. when it comes to a working surface.

Any stout workbench will do if you don't weld against it and set it afire. A used stainless restaurant table would do for light work and those are common used.
>>
>>2799507
I work out of my garage and frames are a bitch to keep flat and right angle, my floor isn't that flat so I've been brainstorming ideas on how to improvise since I'm a poorfag
>>
>>2799559
Most important thing is to line stuff up.properly and then tack it. Check it, adjust it, and then tack it in another place to lock that plane down. Do this at every joint and then check the overall frame for squareness and adjust if needed. Then start slowly laying some stitch welds in different corners to keep pulling at a minimum...
>>
>>2799559
fix your floor ffs
>>
why is weld through primer so expensive
>>
>>2799773
all primer is weld-thru primer if you're brave enough
>>
File: PXL_20240515_120844218.jpg (1.31 MB, 3264x2448)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Quick question guys. I am depowering a power steering rack and part of the process is welding the pinion in order to eliminate any play from it, as it is a 2-piece part.
I had a guy I found on Facebook TIG weld it. I told him I am concerned about distortion, but he said that there's no way it'll warp and he's been pipe fitting and welding for 20 years so he knows what he's doing. Well he welded it and it's warped af.
Should I be able to grind one side of his weld and MIG weld it myself with the heat turned way to shrink that side and straighten the shaft? I'd say I'm a pretty average hobby welder.
>>
>>2799907
Fuck that part was overheated, if you try to weld it again so it pulls to the other side you'll just risk warping it again
Did you immediately tell him about the fuckup? 20 years doesn't mean anything in any field if someone spent 20 years doing shit work
>>
>>2799907
that's fucked. first off he should have used 309 or 312 stainless rod because it was heat treated high carbon. he barbecued that fucker. way too hot and underfilled. it'll crack for sure
you can try to straighten it but you'll need a press with vee blocks and a dial indicator
or just hit it with one rock against another because thats the level youre working at now
>>
>>2799907
you took an engineering job to a welder, it got welded instead of engineered.
>>
>>2800018
It was too hot to properly check for warping without gloves so I only noticed when I got home. I told him about it over the phone and he told me to drive over tomorrow. He'll try to fix it. I want to suggest heating it with his TIG torch little by little, bit by bit and seeing if that will pull it back.
>>2800029
Nah there's no way it's high carbon. Countless boy racers have MIG welded this stuff and there isn't a single account of cracking on the internet. It's some kind of hardened steel.
>>
>>2799907
There's a reason why shafts get welded and *then* machined, and it's because you always have warpage and dimensional errors. Doesn't matter what process or filler you use, if you're welding a shaft it's gonna need machine work.
>>
>>2800122
This isn't the kind of application that usually requires machining. Some warpage would be fine as long as it doesn't bind inside the housing. The problem is that this shaft in particular got so shafted that it has like 2mm of runout or something. You'd remove half the shaft if you were to machine it true.
Here's a video of me spinning it. https://streamable.com/h5qjcp
>>
Hey guys this is the closest thread i could find related to the thing I'm doing
I want to make an ITX computer case with sheet metal, but I'm pretty new to CAD and sheet metal construction in general.
The company I'm going to use can laser cut 1mm to 3mm SS or aluminium but cannot bend anything. Because of this I'm limited to using tabs and slots for making the case (out of 6 individual sheets) which honestly look retarded and i doubt I'll be able to make it easy to open and clean.
Is there anything i can use to join together vertical and horizontal metal sheets? I can buy cheap L brackets but I'm not sure if the case would be sturdy enough?

tl;dr non permanent methods to join vertical and horizontal sheets of metal together
>>
>>2799907
overheated and undercut to shit. no way that mans a pipe welder.
Any type of welding is gonna warp the part, He hasnt a clue what he's at.
metal will shrink as it cools so a round part will pull towards where it was heated. ideally you'd heat it with an oxyacetylene torch or a tig torch to straighten without adding anymore weld.
>>
File: 1696381511881022.jpg (60 KB, 750x750)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2798221
try a purse
>>
Any advice for building a welding cart, or should I just bought a harbor freight cart with the price of metal atm. I'm just a hobbyist.
>>
>>2800803
consider whether you need a cart in the first place.
if the welder only moves once a month and you only have a 1-car garage, wouldn't a storage box to keep the dust and mice out be better?
>>
>>2800809
hmmm you might be right. Maybe even just one of the harbor freight service carts would be nice, i'd be using it for plenty of other things as well, so it's not just serving a single use.
>>
>>2800739
I don't know which software you're using but in solidworks you can draw lines on the flattened sheet metal pattern and they'll get cut with laser cutter if ported in dxf. You can use this method to create perforations or precut lines in the part.
Otherwise create right angle brackets out of any metal, drill holes, place them inside the case and rivet them together if you can't weld. It's not permanent since you can remove rivets with a drill
>>
>>2800817
Kek I forgot to say the stitch lines (- - - -) will help you bend sheet metal precisely without a brake, they're useful for short bends that don't have leverage
>>
>>2800739
find yourself a different company? Unless youre getting a very good deal, tons of outfits online so laser cut + bending now. sendcutsend is a good one
>>2799090
burs are pretty much always carbide.
>>
File: 1716225379154752m.jpg (66 KB, 1024x683)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
bump
>>
>>2800793
I think he just didn't give a fuck because I didn't even see him adjusting his machine before welding.
Anyways I brought the part to a machine shop specializing in the manufacture of splined shafts and gears. After some hesitation they took the job and managed to straighten it from approx 2mm runout to 0.25mm. Hopefully that's good enough not to bind in the housing when turning it. Not sure why they couldn't get it completely straight but they said it's as good as it's gonna get.
>>
>>2803617
Btw they used a hydraulic press on it.
>>
>>2800739
>FreeCAD
Grim
Good luck
>>
>>2799559
Welding stands are designed to level work outdoors on dirt. They can be had folding or fixes and most are reasonably priced. Four is a useful number to have but more is always better and they're good for many things.
>>
>>2799907
Take the next one to a real machine shop as they can chuck it in a lathe to control movement.

Real machine shop, not some bubba. Many welders don't think like machinists who are the most precise metalworkers.
>>
>>2799090
Bounce them around a bit in your hand. If they're heavier than they look they're probably carbide.
>>
How do I make a 7 foot by 5 foot frame out of angle iron while keeping it square? I have the biggest 90 deg magnets I can find and still no matter how accurately I cut it's still a bad fitup. No fixure table, special clamps or flat floor
>>
>>2804978
you again? all you need is a tape measure.
tack it up and adjust until your diagonals are equal, should be 8 foot 7ish.

if you're too dumb for trigonometry, a 3x4x5ft triangle always has a square corner.
>>
I'm going starting a pipe welding class in fall. Any advice for a newbie?
>>
File: 20230130_095505.jpg (600 KB, 3000x4000)
600 KB
600 KB JPG
>>2805537
pipefitters are gay
>>
>>2804978
You need to git gud with a tape measure. Measure your pieces, tack 'em together using a framing square, and measure the diagonals. Hit the long side with a hammer until it reads the same across both diagonals, then weld it all up and check it again. Note, if you can't rotate an apple in your head, you should probably stick to flipping burgers.
>>
>>2805537
Get an eye exam even if you imagine you do not need one. Your opto can write multiple prescriptions so get either "computer bifocals" or a near vision scrip for a distance of about one foot from your face. "Cheater" magnifying lenses exist as do different tints of clear lens so try them AND an autodark, but be able to weld with both in case your fancy helmet breaks in the ditch. I stocked cheaters when running a welding school toolroom and it saved the school much more in rod waste than it cost but I've not heard anyone else doing that.

I and many others prefer the Fibre-Metal Pipeliner. I have a couple, one with autodark insert and one for fixed shade. Whatever helmet you buy have MANY spare clear cover lenses so you can see. Expect to burn up one a day welding steady. We put one on each side of clear lenses both to protect them and so the inner one would be a ready spare, a good habit to have. Buy plenty of extra gloves. Many prefer using heavy TIG gloves for stick and MIG and accept burning up more of them. Tillman make a nice variety. See your local welding supply and get the list of required tools from the school then buy your own because while they get deals on klts most helmets aren't great.

I brought my own 4-1/2" corded angle grinder but later switched to a 6" Metabo I love. 6" lets you run 6" thin kerf cutting discs as well as smaller 4-1/2" accessories. Flap discs cost more than rocks in volume so I brought my own. WATCH YOUR TOOLS AND DO NOT LEND THEM OUT. Mark them legibly. Everything in welding is consumable so a fine custom is to uglify your grinder (pink paint crudely applied etc) and write your name or initials all over it with a soldering iron. Many contractors do this too. Distinctive stickers (any kind) on your helmet proves its yours.

Pails are love, with 7 gallon heavy floor wax buckets the best. They get a rope handle for easy carrying. A large and medium Crescent style wrench will do for gas fittings.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.