[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

hi guys
i need photoshoop help
i need to edit away th backgrouds in my hand drawn mazes and make the the blackspaces uniform and straight do you have any tips or links to help an poor old fagg
>>
>>
>>
>>
these are pretty cool

you just need to fuck with exposure some most likely on photoshop
>>
File: aMAZEing.png (217 KB, 662x895)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>454641
>>454642
>>454643
>>454644

I like it. these are nice!

how I would do it:
1) edit > 'perspective warp' for making it neat and square.
2) 'black and white' adjustment layer (yellow and green set to white)
3) 'curves' OR 'levels' adjustment layer to enhance contrast
4) once it is basically a black silhouette on a white background you go to channels, ctrl+click one of them, go back to layers, fill selection with black.
5) if the image isn't opaque enough just duplicate the layer.
>>
>>454646
people think you gotta do all this fancy color stuff
just play with exposure a bit
>>
>>454647
>"""fancy""""
not really.

exposure alone doesnt correct distortion nor does it leave you with a transparent bg. also what is the difference between a levels adjustment and 'exposure' in this case?
>>
>>454648
lol of course exposure doesnt correct for perspective nor make an image with transparency.

the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>454649
trying to understand what your point is here. what is the "fancy" step that does what you want to do but is unnecessarily "fancy"?
>>454647
>>
>>454645
>>454647

Trying to wash out color to make a B&W image by "just" playing around with exposure is exactly how you get lines that aren't uniform or straight, especially on a hand drawn source image.

This is true whether the original image is digital or film, BTW, and overexposure is so reliable at removing sharpness and image fidelity that it's a classic lossy "effect" from the days when photo editing was done in darkrooms.

PS: if you are really forced into using this kind of cheat to convert to B&W, adjusting saturation is a key step in the process that you didn't even mention.
>>
File: Just add exposure bro.jpg (91 KB, 1046x1359)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>454647
See how boosting exposure removes the light blue of the sky and really defines and separates all the darker elements?
>>
>>454651
>>454652
lol yes
this is what happens when you do it wrong
>>
File: puzzle.png (477 KB, 1426x1808)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
Try upscaling resolution with AI
The step by step:

1 - Upscale with AI to 4x;
2 - Perspective warp;
3 - Saturation to -100;
4 - Levels adjustment;
5 - Layer mask editing to generate transparency from alpha; (white makes visible / black makes transparent)
6 - Brightness to -100 on the main layer;
7 - Profit.
>>
File: levels.gif (3.17 MB, 640x536)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB GIF
>>454654
>>
File: layer mask.gif (683 KB, 640x360)
683 KB
683 KB GIF
>>454654

When creating the mask, be aware that everything that is black will become transparent, and everything that is white will become visible, so, open the mask using Alt + Click and press Ctrl + I to invert the mask's colors;

Always test, live by workarounds.
>>
>>454653
ok its more complex than i thought, sorry fancy guy.

>>454654
>>454655
>>454656
damn this guy photoshops better than me.
>>
>>454659
though really i think what op need is very high res scans with minor color/exposure/curve corrections.
this will clean it up and preserve the hand drawn quality and wont lead to pixelly artifacts. quality in quality out, op/
>>
>>454646
>>454654
Why do we need this instruction twice?
>>
>>454641
>>454642
>>454643
>>454644
OP these are really awesome. You should put them together as a book. I would buy it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.