[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>I live in New England, birthplace of faggot ass Lyme Disease, ticks are everywhere innawoods
>Already had Lyme twice in my youth, never want that shit again

I bought a pair of $100 pants from Duluth that were branded as "no bug/tick" which according to the label is some proprietary Permethrin infusion.
>catch tick
>put it on pants
>watch it walk all over for several minutes, completely unbothered by the "kills bugs and ticks guaranteed!" pants
>return pants because they clearly do not fucking work

So were these pants just trash? Or is Permethrin ineffective?

What is the best way to protect from these little fuckers? Between hiking, mushrooming, and camping i'm off trail at least 75% of the time essentially bushwhacking through trees and brush.
>>
>>2727761
Anything potent enough to permanently keep ticks away is probably so toxic it would never get past any kind of approval for human use.

You do the normal thing: long socks, tuck pants into socks, spray the shit out of your shoes and pants with a DEET spray just before setting off. You can even spray your shirt and tuck your shirt into your pants to force the tick to climb even higher. One thing which might work is to stick a ribbon of double-sided tape around your thighs over the pants, that way any tick which makes it that far up might get stuck. I've never tried this personally, but I imagine if you find the right kind of tape it could work quite well.
>>
>>2727761
have you ever heard about winter/fall/spring?
>>
>>2727766
>have you heard about seasons?

what?

The ticks are active spring/summer/autumn, when i go out in the woods with my dogs they always end up with a few on them.
>>
>>2727764
I've seen they make these odd looking gaiters that are a loose weave material chemically treated that essentially traps the ticks within the weave and then the permethrin is supposed to kill them
>>
>>2727761
Permethrin "infusions" aren't as good as spraying the stuff on just before you go out, and the permethrin washes out after a few trips through the laundry anyway. I just get cheap pants from Cabelas or Tractor Supply and spray them down before doing /out/ shit.
>>
I actually have been routinely going /out/ in tick country for 25+ years. I used to apply DEET but now consider that crap more toxic than Lyme Disease. I will occassionally still apply unscented picardin to my sun gloves and buff. This has some effect.

I have also bought InsectShield and the like pretreated clothes. This has a mild effect for several washings until it doesn't work, which is nowhere near the manufacturers' claims of 70 washings.

What works for me is to soak all my outer clothes, shoes and socks, tent, headnet, pack and pack cover with permethrin every two months. I try not to agitate these items including by rewearing them dirty several outings. After four /outs/ or more, any bugs landing on me either instantly hop off or freeze.in place until, dead, they fall off. I have literally had a hundred mosquitos swarm on me, land and die. Works for me.
>>
>>2727768
Russians make special anti-tick clothing. Dunno if you can source them abroad.
https://youtu.be/_7Hq5zycnkE?feature=shared&t=209
>>
had the seasons first tick crawl on my tummy yesterday
sometimes i regret moving into the woods
be glad mutt ticks aint got TBE
>>
>>2727761
Ship them to Lynn.
>>
>>2727811
Hey, fuck you, guy. We have nice forests here with very low tick numbers. Bring 'em to Marblehead, or Manchester by the Sea.
>>
>>2727817
You got that one.
>>
>>2727761
I hit my pants and boots with deet and let them dry before putting them on. I've tried Permethrin, and it works, but I don't think it works better than Deet and it's probably worse for you. But you'll still get some ticks, because the fuckers will drop on you from trees too. You just have to be diligent about checking yourself. Staying slim enough and flexible enough to do this easily should be a priority.
>>
>>2727761
>permethrin
just buy the spray can and apply it yourself, you're paying an extra $20 for it to be pre-sprayed in an unknown concentration on a single pair of pants...
buy the can of spray for $15 and you can diy pants, shorts, 2 shirts, 4 socks, plus tent and rainfly while saving $5
>>
I've heard permethrin is very toxic to pets, specifically cats

i have 2 cats so i'll need to be extra careful with this stuff i guess
>>
>>2727849
Permethrin and deet would both be a bad idea to use around pets. Picaridin may be a better choice for you; it isn't specifcially made to be used ON pets, but presumably it's safe to be used AROUND them.
>>
>>2727761
I do 99% of my hiking and bushwhacking in two of the worst states for ticks. I treat my boots/trailrunners, socks, and pants (from the thigh down) with permethrin 3-4x a year:

>Memorial Day
>4th of July
>Labor Day

and recently around St. Patty's Day because winter doesn't last as long anymore. I have only gotten two ticks, ever:

>on my hand in the fall (I flicked it off right away)
>on my leg in the summer (I pulled it out in the bathroom that night)

I did not wear my permethrin-treated pants or shoes when I dislodged that second tick from my leg because it was an impromptu hike. I have never had a tick crawl up me otherwise.
>>
>>2727761
Essential oil blends like cedarwood are beneficial. Since I started using them I noticed an absolute reduction of attached ticks and a 50% reduction in ticks at all.
>>
>>2727761
I just sat down,after mowing the lawn,and found two of them on me.Kinda surprised,since I was on a riding mower.This is getting very tiresome.
>>
File: 1572743074798.png (963 KB, 1190x1064)
963 KB
963 KB PNG
I just found one on my leg, assuming its from a hike i did yesterday afternoon (so roughly 24 hours later)

hoping i caught it early enough and no fucking lyme

TICKS ARE SUCH NIGGERS
>>
>>2727862
>>2727795
Do you have dogs? Or cats? Wondering how bad permetherin is for animals
>>
>>2727761
Just take a shower every day and use one of these scrubber towels everywhere.
>>
>>2728111
supposedly not an issue with dogs, but very very bad for cats
>>
>>2728111
Like >>2728248 said, it's extremely toxic for cats. I don't have any so I don't have to worry about that.
>>
Somebody should introduce Australian paralysis ticks to the US and Europe for shits and gigs
>>
>>2728262
This
I will also import TBE ticks into the US so the fucking mutts will finally shut the fuck up about the lyme meme
>>
there was this one time I was walking /out/ and notice a tick in my leg hair
heard some story from a friend who found a large one nestled on his taint that had to be removed by his dad and it scared the shit out of me so I immediately went to the bank, removed my trousers and inspected my junk
I regret not seeing the fisherman on the opposite bank that had to look at me hunched over pawing at my balls for 5 solid minutes like a maniac
>>
>>2727849
Permethrin is usable on most animals (NOT CATS) directly. Farmers use it.
I use it on my dogs when necessary, during tick season, and spray my clothes with it, since I work in the woods.

https://woofwhiskers.com/complete-guide-to-permethrin-for-dogs/

This gives a decent rundown. The stuff has to dry before it is safe for humans; if you use it on a dog you want to keep it in the sun and keep it from licking itself till it's dry.
>>
>>2727985
Should be OK if it wasn't fully engorged. It takes at least 24 hours; some say 36-48 even.
>>
>>2728363
I got woken up in the middle of the night by one on my nutsack once. Bled like a stuck pig when I got it out.
>>
>>2727790
OP, permithrin can fuck up cats when it's still wet, consider applying outside if you have a cat you like.
>>
File: 1650214869234.png (604 KB, 600x616)
604 KB
604 KB PNG
Ticks are difficult because they'll latch on to you because you walk through a bush they sit on. They're not like skeeters that will hunt you down and avoid you if you have repellents. Pesticide infused clothes aren't 100% safe from ticks so you should still do a tick sweep every time you're taking a break. Time is the most important factor for ticks because they take a long time to pick a spot to dig in.
>>
>>2727761
I've lived in new england for my entire life, but I took a trip to Georgia this spring and the ticks there terrified me. I kneeled on some dead palmetto fronds for a moment to catch a skink and when I stood up I found 2 dozen of the smallest pinhead ticks I'd ever seen on my pants, along with a healthy serving of larger lone star ticks. Ticks never really bothered me because they were easy to spot, but these ones had me scared because of how small and numerous they were.
>>2728905
>pic
kek
>>
>>2728950
Georgia is basically hell on earth. I did my OSUT in Benning and I ended up digging into fire ant nests making foxholes and on our infiltration course we went through a swamp full of chiggers and there were ticks everywhere because of the wild hogs. And the spiders everywhere.
>>
do cows carry ticks? there's no deer around here but sure are a lot of cows
>>
>>2727761
it takes up to 1m to die with permitherin
>>
>>2728963
>swamp full of chiggers
Nightmare. Ticks aren't even worth worrying about since they're big dumb insects who take like a whole day to fuck with you but these things can ruin your month in minutes
>>
Another thing not to worry about for me since the worst thing that could happen would be a wasp sting. I wish we had your never-ending forests, but I am glad that shit like that is a non-issue here.
>>
>>2727761
I buy a bottle of permethrin spray treatment for about $18. I treat all of my hunting pants and shirts and my boots. I re-apply once a year to the clothing and every 3 months to the boots(used more often). It lasts around 6 wash cycles or 6 weeks of outdoor exposure. I keep them in an air tight stiff sack between uses. This protects the treatment between uses, so you don't have to re-apply too often. Obviously if you're treating clothing that will be used more frequently, more frequent treatment will be necessary. With the permethrin treatment on my clothes and DEET on my head and hands, I've sat in the woods with dozens of mosquitos flying all around my face but not once landing on me. I also haven't found any ticks crawling on me since starting this treatment regimen. Before I'd find one or two most trips.
>>
>>2729132
FYI I have a cat. I spray it outside and let it dry overnight in my garage before bringing it in an d putting it in my stuff sack. I haven't had any issues with my cat coming into contact with me while wearing these clothes later or my boots, which are always out. Just don't let them come into contact with the liquid itself.
>>
File: 1714873958321836.gif (305 KB, 128x128)
305 KB
305 KB GIF
>>2727766
>ticks active in february - november
>>
if you do find one on you call your doc
>get 2 doses of doxycycline prescribed
>take within 24H if it's attached
>>
>>2727766
Where I live ticks are active in the winter. It's not that cold here so basically all year round except on abnormally cold days are ticks an issue. It sucks.
>>
>>2727761
Premethrin works, but it doesn’t kill them instantly, and a large part of its effectiveness is as a repellent, not just a poison. Im not saying the pants actually work, im saying that you are too dumb to devise a proper experiment to determine if they do, and you lashed out at the pants on a public forum to cope.
>>
>>2727761
The best solution i have found for ticks is to take 2 tick collars made for small dogs and use one on each leg to cinch my pants tight to the top of my boots.
>>
were ticks always such a big issue? when i went camping or hiking as a kid i never worried much abt them
>>
File: fuck.jpg (23 KB, 753x595)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>2729892
you sound like a massive faggot

>>2729925
no, i remember when i was in a kid in late 90's/early 00's they were way less common. i would literally crawl around in the woods all day and remember having ONE on me once. Now you go for a walk on a trail and those little niggers are everywhere
>>
>>2727761
DEET. Soak yourself in this shit before the hike and you're good.

>inb4 neurotoxic cancer blah blah
You're confusing it with DDT which was way more carcinogenic and neurotoxic. Also yes, DEET is not completely safe, but guess what? It's much better than having to deal with Lyme or even worse, TBE if you live in Europe, which can completely ruin your life, and Lyme is basically just a cold compared to it.
>>
File: insectshield.png (1.34 MB, 3664x1549)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>2729892
permethrin is supposed to instantly paralyze and then kill any insect that even gets a whiff of it.

to answer OP I think this is the best solution. insect shield isn't the same as just spraying on permethrin. afaik it won't come out in washes and stays effective far, far long without contaminating everything.
>>
>>2731146
Yeah i think i'm going to go this route and do the treatment service

Only downside is it doesnt work on clothing with a DWR/etc coating, which i've found out includes 90% of outdoors pants/jackets. Pretty much have to go full cotton which obviously has it's downsides
>>
dogs have it so fucking easy, they get the medicine where if a tick bites them it just dies (the tick, not the doog)

i wish there was a human equivalent
>>
>>2729086
Duct tape your ankles
>>
>>2731452
*duck
>>
>>2731813
duck tape is a brand of duct tape....
>>
>>2731813
Do you also call all sodas "coke"?
>>
File: burning ring.gif (333 KB, 200x131)
333 KB
333 KB GIF
>>2731452
>swamp
If you are in a lot of water wouldn't electrical tape or Silicone Tape be better?
>>
>>2731114
it’s because of the wolves, wolf rehab has driven deer into more populated places and are spreading ticks where they go. just my conspiracy theory.
>>
File: waaarrrrrrrr.jpg (9 KB, 353x363)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2731865
I live in Rhode Island

theres no significant wolf population here. Biggest threat to deer is the faggots clearcutting thousands of acres for solar fields and shitty suburban housing developments
>>
>>2731814
>>2731819
Duct Tape is actually a knockoff of the original "Duck Tape" which was named for the cotton duck fabric it was based on.

And it was never for ducts, so duct tape is just for 3m fanboy retards.
>>
>>2727761
I hate ticks so fucking much, only able to go out November-January, which states are best to avoid these fucks but not sweat/freeze your ass off?
>>
>>2732171
no idea anon, it seems everywhere is corrupted
>>
>>2732239
I bet the Jews have something to do with it
>>
I'm living alone. If a tick latches on to me in a place that I can't see, say ass or back of the scrotum, how the hell will I even tell I have one before I get hospitalized and have permament brain damage?
>>
File: 71+GZ0hKXwL.jpg (247 KB, 2500x2500)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>
>>2732271
Lose weight. I can easily see the back of my balls. And can see my backside in the mirror. It's easy if you aren't morbidly obese.
>>
>>2732271
idk fren, it's unpleasant to consider

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.