[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 23efwer.jpg (142 KB, 1200x900)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Is there any way to make your own A/C unit for a small room? I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on one of these only to have it break after the warranty
>>
>>2793650
euro or amerimutt?
mutt: window unit, ez. a mini split is still superior in every way except that once it's mounted it's mounted
euro: mini split or fuck off "portable ACs" are a joke
>I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on one of these only to have it break after the warranty
lmao
these things don't break that easily you know
>>
>>2793650
give us more context, how warm will the room be getting? is this some weak yuropoor complaining or genuinely brazing temperatures in the Arizona desert?
>>
>>2793661
80- low 90's and high humidity
>>
Buy a dual inverter they dont break
>>
>>2793650
Hang up wet bedsheets around your house and blow fans into them. Then have one window open on one side of the house and another open on the other side with a fan being used to exhaust the hot air through one of those windows.
That's what my parents did before they could afford AC.
>>
>>2793650
oh look it's another:
I want to build something using a pack of cigarettes and some sticks. I have no skills and I think that building a complex machine is cheaper and easier if I do it instead of someone that mass produces it and I have no understanding of tools technology or anything related to what i am asking thread.
>>
>>2793650
>I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on one of these only to have it break after the warranty
so what you'd rather have it break five minutes after you hack it together you gibbering moron?
>>
>>2793650
There is no way you're building a comparable AC at home for less than a cheap $150 window unit.
It's just not happening.
>>
>>2793761
this is "DO IT YOURSELF"
there are hundreds of other boards for goysumers like yourself. fuck off
>>
>>2793811
The idea shit that's stupid to do should be done is idiotic. YOU don't know how either.

>>2793798
^This. Solved problem is solved. Expedients do not come close to working as well. Ignore angrytards as they don't care about the outcome.
>>
>>2793815
>The idea shit that's stupid to do should be done is idiotic. YOU don't know how either.
yeah we know you're a faggot that can't handle difficult challenges. cool post. now fuck off to Amazon
>>
>>2793811
it's really simple mongoloid. if you are asking a question on 4chan you have already proved you do not have any ability to do the thing you are asking for.

people who do things themselves come up with an idea. research the feasibility. assess their personal skills and then if they are pretty sure they can do it, they start doing it.

only AFTER they run in to a problem do they ask someone else.

see the issue with OP's post is that in order to build your own AC unit, and lets be serious here what OP really would do is buy off the shelf items and assemble something.

but lets pretend OP will is actually wanting to build the entire thing from scratch. he will need:
machinist skills and tools
plumber skills and tools
electronics skills and tools
metal fabrication skills and tools
and knowledge of all the above.

even if he were to just buy off the shelf you still need:
electronics knowledge and skills
blumbing and HVAC knowledge, tools, and skills
metal fabrication knowledge skills and tools.

and one thing I forgot.

A FUCKING SHIT TON OF MONEY.
>>
>>2793697
>>2793650
how are those dc mini splits where you can plug in solar panels? can you turn a normal one into this?
>>
OP here’s your answer
>buy broken AC unit for less than one fiddy hundred dollares
>fix broken AC unit (usually shitty compressor)
>fill with refrigerant (propane, etc).
>???
>working AC for only 400+$ in tools and labour
>>
>>2793836
I bought a window unit from a goodwill a couple of years ago for $24. nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>2793650
>Is there any way to make your own A/C unit for a small room? I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on one of these only to have it break after the warranty

let's examine this post shall we?
>Is there any way to make your own A/C unit for a small room?
sure but the individual parts will cost more than just buying one. assembly requires tools, parts and skill OP most likely does not have.
>I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars
any small AC unit will cost much less than making one. buying a used one even less.
>only to have it break after the warranty
this is a stupid statement. ALL products will eventually break at some point. most likely after the warranty. Even something you made yourself.

but the reality is that if properly cleaned and maintained they can last 10 plus years. ask me how I know. if you have access to youtube and some skills you can fix them and they will last longer.
>>
File: youdontsay.jpg (25 KB, 600x445)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2793811
>this is "DO IT YOURSELF"
but OP is not doing it himself.
he is asking for people to do it for him.
>>
>>2793650
A window unit that has "stopped working" often just needs a $10 capacitor, or has a blown control board, which you could bypass (and run high only, on/off with a powerstrip). Probably can get for free on craigslist or FB Marketplace.
>>
>>2793811
I defy you to post a practical rational cost effective form and fit replacement for commercial units for OP. You cannot. You will not.

Do it now. Put up or shut up. Proof or eat shit.
>>
>>2793858
This ^. People even give away working units to be rid of them after installing heat pumps. Intelligent scrounging is very /diy/
>>
>>2793650
how can you be so poor that you can't chip out <$100 for an AC
>>
>>2794017
damn i wish i was near that first listing
>>
File: 1000025759.jpg (826 KB, 1663x2094)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
>>2794017
>>2794507
like, wtf? 2x the asking price. fuck the south
>>
>>2793811
>do it yourself
Not
>ask others to do all the leg work and reap the benefits
>>
>>2793650
Ancient Egyptians apparently used to wet cotton sheets with cold water and then put them in front a window, you could achieve something similar with a bed sheet soaked in cold tap water and then hang it in front of a fan
>>
>>2795442
Also, they'd use large jars of dry sand to take humidity out of the air of a room (you'll have to change the sand once it starts to get wet lmao)
>>
>>2795442
>>2795443
or OP can stop being a poorfag and buy an AC like he's living in the 21st century
>>
>>2793811
found the pro-communism pot smoking NEET
>>
File: ac40.png (371 KB, 1169x711)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>2793650
Better look at the used market. You can get a window A/C for a penny per BTU or less.
>>
>>2795467
>found the pro-communism pot smoking NEET

Who will never do shit except autistic screeching.
>>
>>2793824
>WAAAAAAAA!! MOMMY ITS TO HARD IM LAZY IM MUST COONSUME TAKE ME TO HOME DEPOT MOMMY!!!
for the last time FUCK OFF
>>
>>2793650
Man, Don't get this shit. It's really fucking noisy I can't stand it. Get a good pedestal fan and be done with it.
>>
>>2793650
Get a 1000 l tank, fill it with water and cycle that through a car radiator during the day. At night, cycle the now warm tank water through a second radiator to cool it down. 1000 l water has an enormous thermal capacity.

Since you are in a humid climate, make sure you capture the condensate.
>>
>>2795936
calls me lazy, comes to 4chan demanding detailed instructions on something YOU WILL NEVER DO.
>>
>>2795936
>IM LAZY
so working for the money to buy stuff is lazy?
what if I value my time more than you? I'm lazy because I'd rather be spending my time on something I enjoy than trying to /diy/ some bullshit?
>>
>>2795443
Ancient egyptians
>go outside and dig up some sand
OP
>guys what sand should i use, what kind of jar would work best, how do i get to the beach without spending any money
>>
>>2793650
it doesn't matter, you won't do it.
>>
>>2794017
imagine the smells
>>
>>2795442
This is just a shitty swamp cooler. I used to sometimes hang wet laundry in front of a box fan to simultaneously dry the clothes and cool my apartment. Works surprisingly well if you're in a dry climate

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.