[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Work in Progress, "Case of the Mondays" Edition

>Full-on /WIP/ OP Links Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/BE42AEcD

>Saint Duncan's "Six Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Painting"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufP8ka3KGno

>Saint Duncan also explains thinning your paints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

>Paint thinning 102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI

>Darren Latham's 20 top tips for miniature painting success
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERXNObqeNb8

>4 EASY Chipping Tricks For Beginners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4comhKHJM

>Decal Like a Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYKLiEW7p9c

>How to Edge Highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRbYuAfbEk

>How to use contrast style paints
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhholrozptI

>Who's Johnny, she'd say, and smile in her special way
https://1d6chan.miraheze.org/wiki/Johnny

>Previous threads:
>>92692059
>>92671688
>>92656466
>>92637078
>>
File: nobz 2.jpg (1.71 MB, 3657x2803)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Taking photos is a pain.
I love how the squad turned out but it needs a bit of chipping and the metals and the bases scream lazy. Maybe also a pattern on some of the cleaner looking pauldrons.
What's a good way of painitng true metallic metals?
Any other suggestions?
>>
>>92714711
how are you painting the yellow bits
>>
>>92714577
What brush are you guys using for base coat, layering, glazing and so on? Should i get a kolinsky brush? And what size?
>>
Uhm, how do you paint Kingdom Death lantern?
>>
>>92714577
Should i buy a wet palette or DIY one myself?
>>
>>92714878
Pure white, then shade with orange. White again in the strongest highlights, than use transparent yellow. Final highlight maybe white again.
Rough guide.
>>
>>92714825
Averland sunset base.
Casandora yellow wash, fuegan orange wash in deeper parts and around the spikes & bolts.
Thicker highlight Yriel yellow
Thin highlight flash gits yellow 1-1 screaming scull.

Two thin coats and Valejo colors also work very well.

>>92714865
AK synthetic brushes. They are cheap and sturdy.
>>
>>92714865
army painter wargamer regiment brush, and a slightly bigger synthetic brush from the office supply store
>>
How does the newer game color ink compare with the older ink? I have the choice of getting the old 8 ink set or the newer ones individually.
>>
>>92714865
I gave a nice set of sable brushes for layering and glazing, as well as precision things like eyes and other small details, but I use army painter regiment brush for as much else as possible. They're like the perfect mix of cheap and gud enough for me. For sable brush sizes, I use my size 0 the most by far, then a 000 for eyes. I very rarely find a use for my size 2+ kolinsky brushes.
>>
>>92714929
>>92714971
How are the quality of these hobby brush compare with normal art store synthetic brush?
>>
File: IMG_20240425_124433.jpg (1.71 MB, 3120x2195)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>92714865
I been using this dspiae brush and stupid gimmick aside, the brush is quite durable and cheap
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (401 KB, 1701x919)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
Another initiate done

>>92714711
Your tmm seems okay to me. You can try and focus more on highlights, damage and lightening areas exposed to light.
>>
File: Custodes Test Model.jpg (1.15 MB, 2010x1246)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Some more pics of my Gnome Custard. He is a bit of a mess because I tried out some different stuff on him.
>>
>>92715301
Looks good anon, nice dirty whites. Like the iron cross on the face too.
>>
>>92715301
how do you do the black? is it just edge highligthed with silver?
>>
>>92714891
buy one, they are cheap enough

gsw one is less than 15€
>>
>>92715465
Just buy one for 5€ from Aliexpress. All the other companies get theirs from china as well after all.
>>
File: 20240506_102427.jpg (4.1 MB, 4080x3060)
4.1 MB
4.1 MB JPG
Any tips to straightening resin?
>>
>>92715478
Hot water
>>
>>92715342
He´s cute tho. Planning to make a whole army?
>>
Quick question - what's the "best" basic red acrylic paints? So far, I didn't like Vallejo ones but really enjoyed GW ones (Khorne, Mephiston, Evil Suns Scarlet) and since they are in these odd bottles, I'm looking for good equivalent as replacement.
>>
>>92715542
Vallejo Mecha SZ Red
>>
>>92715542
Let me tell you, as a red paint schizo who owns easily over 40+ paints of different red shades, Citadel ones are really, really, really good and very much worth having to deal with the pots (which you can always transfer into droppers if you feel like it)
>>
>>92715478
Hot water (not boiling), gently shape it into the desired shape, put it in cool water to set.
>>
Anyone have any luck with airbrushing metallics? Any good brands?
>>
>>92714891
As with all hobby stuff, make do with a DIY for a bit, then upgrade if you like using it
>>
>>92715587
Vallejo Metal Color
Not 'Vallejo Game Color metallics'
Not 'Vallejo Model Color metallics'
Not 'Vallejo Liquid Metal'
>>
>>92715578
wich would be the closest one to blood red/evil sunz scarlet?
have you tried the procacryl bold pyrrole red? chimera?
do we even know wich pigment citadel uses?

the pot problem can be fixed but they are still almost double the price of vallejos/aks and the like
>>
>>92715647
How many pots of red paint do you realistically need?
>>
>>92715595
Thanks. Now my next question is:

>Vallejo 77.220 Metal Color Gunmetal Grey
the same as
>Vallejo 71.072Model Air Metallic Gun Metal Grey
and are they the same as
>Citadel Base Leadbelcher
>>
>>92715672
No and no.
>>
>>92715676
Alright, so I'm pretty much looking to airbrush Leadbelcher, what color of Vallejo Air metal can get me that?
>>
>>92715659
I need one that matches the pre-renaming citadel blood red
so far tried vermillion red and antares red but they arent close
>>
>>92715683
Dark Aluminium's fairly close
>>
>>92715647
>wich would be the closest one to blood red/evil sunz scarlet?
tough one!
closest I have in my collection is Nocturna N-Paint Scarlett red
I think you're better off sticking to Citadel on this one
>procacryl bold pyrrole red?
No, I wish I had it, people say its great
>Kimera?
One of the best red paints hands down
>do we even know wich pigment citadel uses?
We dont know which pigments any mini paint brand uses besides Kimera colors, modelling brands tend to be obscure about their formulations for some reason.
>>
Tell me /wip/
Which mini you enjoyed painting the most?
>>
>>92715683
Why not get https://www.warhammer.com/en-GB/shop/Air-Leadbelcher-2019 ?
>>
>>92715659
Just one more
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (404 KB, 1134x1029)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>92715418
Thank you!

>>92715455
Mainly yes, there's also dark grey drybrushing and black wash involved though

>>92715883
My dreadnought, in some way, but it's also the mini I hated painting the most.

>>92715542
I like mephiston red.

>>92715578
I agree, I like working with them
>>
>>92715972
>£4.75
>pot
>airbrush
>>
File: 20240506_015047.jpg (252 KB, 879x1171)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>92715883
I'm really enjoying working on this land raider. So many new things to try.
>>
>>92716039
>no nipples
its slaanesh? she should have more than two, per tit
>>
>>92716039
It's not done yet anon.
>>
>nuGW will never ever release minis such as the Juan Diaz daemonettes ever again
Why live
>>
>>92716048
Meant for >>92716041
>>
>>92716048
a man can hope

>>92716053
there are recasters and/or scans that can be printed
>>
>>92716039
The box
Anyone going to open it?
Anyone going to make her come?
>>
File: IMG_20211114_031518__01.jpg (223 KB, 1426x1966)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>92715883
Probably this guy. I've improved since then not I think he still stands out against my others. The whole process was pretty fun, picking out favorite parts, figuring out how to make him suitable for blood bowl, switching hands without weapons, etc. And painting was fun too, figuring out how to transition from the blue to the underbelly skin
I think I'll always like the shield though
>>
>>92715022
the tip has curled over on my cheap synthetic brush, but the wargamer regiment brush still has a nice fine on it and it's the older brush. so i use the cheaper brush to block out big areas of colour, then i use the nicer brush to clean up the overspill and fill in smaller areas.
>>
File: 1.jpg (623 KB, 1000x1000)
623 KB
623 KB JPG
>>92715883
This guy, I think. Probably because of all the different colors and surfaces. It's also the first model where I used the airbrush a lot so it was a fun learning experience too. Plus I absolutely love this mini, looks amazing and I hope I did it justice with my paintjob
>>
>>92716003
Why, dreads dont seem too hatd to paint
>>
>>92716401
I feel like they can be tedious as fuck to paint if you wanted to paint it in gw style with all the edges highlighted
>>
>>92715342
Thanks. Since he turned out allright, I'll probably will. Not like I'd need a lot of models for it, I just have to stop getting sidetracked by new shiny projects and finish some of the ongoing ones.
>>
>>92716277
How malleable are lips made out of wood?
>>
File: Canis Rex Knight Count As.jpg (495 KB, 2010x1246)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
>>92716485
Meant for >>92715484
>>92715587
If you have good ventilation, get metalizers instead of acrylic metallics. I used AK Xtreme Metal Steel on this guy and it held up to some pretty rough weathering as well.
>>
>>92715587
I airbrushed TTC golds a couple weeks ago and they went through just fine and had a beautiful surface.
I remember asking anon back then and most metallics paints should work fine if you thin them properly.
>>
>>92715683
You need better reading comprehension. You don't want vallejo air metal, you want vallejo metal color. They are different products that behave totally different
>>
>>92716495
Probably not much but I mean it's a living tree so maybe he can manage somehow
>>
>>92716522
This model stinks dude
>>
File: RLTechnomancer.jpg (510 KB, 1442x1850)
510 KB
510 KB JPG
Made this dude the other day and finally painted it. I primarily do orks ( have posted a few on here in the past). Think this looks good enough to sell?
>>
>already have 4 armies started but not completely painted
>probably a year's worth of projects
>fighting the urge to start Nighthaunt as well because they look so fucking cool
jesus christ somebody stop me, the plastic crack is getting to me
>>
File: dread.jpg (1.19 MB, 2880x1101)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>92716401
I don't have an airbrush, I don't prime black or metal, and I paint black with contrast paint. Painting large, flat panels and all the crevices was not particularly quick nor effortless, and I'm already a slow painter to begin with. I was satisfied with the result though
>>
>>92716674
>painting a model with a lot of flat surfaces with contrast
why the fuck would you do that though
>>
>>92714577
I don't understand what is the point of NMM? Sound like some waste of time and waste of paint technique
>>
File: khornnnknight.jpg (80 KB, 540x576)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>92715883
this was enjoyable
>>
>>92716635
>that long ass twisted knuckle hair
What the fuck
>>
>>92716761
You can show off your skill, and it can look nice if you like that particular style.
>>
How much water do ak metallic paints need to be thinned properly on average? Just picked up some and pretty new to the hobby.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>92716761
Figurine is scaled down
But IRL light sources stay the same
So light sources are proportionally larger
So light and shadows on the figurine reflect this, betraying the true size of the figurine
So we paint shadows and reflections onto the figurine in accordance with where they would sit if it were the full sized character
>>
>>92716856
I don't think the size of the light source has much to do with it. You're just painting nice lighting onto a figure that's usually seen in really boring lighting.
>>
>>92716724
To match the rest of the minis and cause I like that black

it was also a positive experience as I stated, challenges made it fun to paint
>>
>>92716277
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrqvjjKlOs
>>
>>92716653
only like two units look good
its 90% monopose retard-ready easy-to-build bullshit
aos is shit

you are welcome
>>
>>92716653
Nighthaunt is pretty easy and fun as a painting project but a lot of their models are fragile and/or have pain in the ass gaps. Actually playing the army is extremely inconvenient as well since it's pretty much all melee horde infantry and damn near all of the models have chains, hooks, weapons, and wispy bits sticking out past the base so they barrel of monkeys themselves real fast.
>>
>>92716653
Nighthaunt may look appealing but a lot of their models feel very same-y, there's only so much variation you can add to floating ghosts with chains.
If you don't plan on playing the game and just want to paint them get a kit or two, that should satisfy the craving. You can always continue on later. Don't fall for the trap of buying the vanguard or whatever they're called boxes. It is cheaper per kit obviously but you're paying a lot at once and unless you're going to paint them one afer another you're better off getting a kit every month or two to not add to the unpainted pile.
>>
Where to order custom transfer sheets from? preferably north American company.

It is just going to be same decal. Hopefully 1 small and 1 large version.

tanks.
>>
>>92717249
I wonder if the resentment from the death of fantasy battle will ever stop.
Anyways go back to your retirement home grognard or actually look at the models.
>>
>building trench bases
>find a reasonably nice laminate wood that's thin enough for minis and already comes divided into appropriate scale planks
>build twelve of the bases, for the first squad to go on them, plus some extras
>a little glue gets on my finger on the last base and adheres to the top of one of the wood planks
>removing it as gently as possible removes the entire upper layer of the plank with ragged edges that can't just be glued back down
god damn it
>>
>>92717249
>only two units look good
now that I look closer at the range that's kinda true lol
>its 90% monopose retard-ready easy-to-build bullshit
doesn't bother me
>aos is shit
I don't play tabletop so I don't give a fuck, I just want to paint cool plastic toys and AoS models are the best fantasy miniatures whether you want to admit it or not.

>>92717331
>>92717284
Those are valid points, you guys cooled me off. Maybe I'll get one kit for a test run if I feel like it.
>>
File: PXL_20240506_002353366.jpg (1.84 MB, 3072x4080)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>
>>92714711
I know its been a bit but if you're still around you could take those bases from "Lazy" to "Lazy but iconic" with a good old coat of Goblin Green equivalent, if you like the oldhammer look.
>>
File: ghosts.png (1.29 MB, 1519x496)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
>>92717419
I'm probably younger than you, and couldn't care less of wich setting gets discontinued today
I have looked at the models, I even have some, do you?
anyways, it was a bit of joking post to deter him from buying more plastic he doesn't need (as per his words)

>>92717573
> the best fantasy miniatures whether you want to admit it or not
production quality yes, no doubt, the design aestethic and design choices (easy-to-build™ monopose stuff diminishes the hobby aspect of collecting miniatures imo) in the past few years are some of the worst, everything is visual noise (see the new 'orcs'), it has it's audicence I have to admit that, in 40k is not that bad but aos is peak noise

however nowadays there are some companies that are getting very very close in production quality to gw, like archon, fireforge has some cool shit too but is noticeably less crisp
>>
>>92717649
Looks ok from the thumbnail falls apart a bit when the image is opened up though.
The highlights are very wide and stark, they need to be blended in better.
The wash you've done on the red cloth on the knight has pooled too and that looks awful.
I think from a compositional standpoint it's boring too, you've just got two models standing awkwardly next to eachother, it's a little bit prentious of me to say it but it doesn't tell a story and they're just there for the sake of it.
>>
>>92716771
Masculinity.
>>
Finally finished my bottle of citadel plastic glue.
Is there an alternative brand to get? One that does the same
>liquid melts the plastic
>liquid dries
>plastics hardens into a single piece
not super glue, I've got that.

I found the bottle really poorly designed and annoying.
>metal nozzle tube gets clogged literally every time I use it
>metal nozzle tube falls out
>if used the angled rest it would sometimes topple over if I'd just had it upside down for application
>the cap for the nozzle dissolved and made holes after being exposed to the glue a few times
>probably upcharged to hell and back by GW
>>
>>92717884
Tamiya Extra thin
>>
>>92717884
Tamiya quick setting thin cement.
>>
>>92717884
Literally any plastic glue (!) will do the trick by melting the plastic together.
Any bigger scale model company sells their own glue, most famous among warhammer players is probably the already mentioned tamiya one in the glass jar with the brush in the top (which can be turned into sprue goo later) and the very classic Revell Contacta Professional (which suffers from the same long needle tip issues the GW one suffers).

Some is thinner, some is thicker, in general they all do the same thing.
I would recommend to get a thin one (for small parts, and the ability to let it flow in between dryfitted parts), and a thicker one (for big parts, vehicles, terrain etc) for different needs.
>>
>>92717884
The correct answer is tamiya extra thin cement.
But you'd be looking at any kind of 'plastic cement', they'll all do the same thing and are common across many brands related to plastic modelling.
Also if you are really trying to minmax your costs and have a huge amount of hobbying to do you can technically just use the bigger bottles of Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner. It's the same chemical in essentially the same concentration for less $/ml, but I'd recommend at least buying one pot of the normal extra thin to get the nice pot with the applicator brush and then you can just top it up with the airbrush thinner as necessary. I don't bother to do this myself I'm just letting you know.

It's the defacto standard for plastic model building. I'm assuming since you asked that you might not be aware - these kinds of glues don't work on resin models at all and you'll still need superglue. But obviously they are still preferred for plastic.
>>
>>92717884
I was recommended Mr Cement (from Mr Hobby) and it's... about what I expected out of plastic glue, which is probably good enough for your purposes too. It's easier to find than Tamiya cement since near every craft and hobby store I've been to carries it, and it's 4 bucks for a bottle that lasts years. Brush style like Tamiya cement.
>>
File: 41A8MdDOIXL.jpg (22 KB, 500x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>92717884
all other anons are correct
It's also necessary if you want to make sprue goo, so you may want a second bottle (or just an empty glass bottle)
>>
>>92717884
As everyone else have said - Tamiya extra thin cement. It's literally the best plastic glue ever concieved. Bonds fast, strong and evaporates quickly so you don't have to worry about it making a mess.
Just keep in mind you use it a little bit differently - instead of applying it in places where the parts meet you hold the two parts together and apply the glue directly into the place where they join. The first way will probably work too but you have to be quick because this shit evaporates really fast.
and yeah he fact that 2 major modelling companies(gw and revell) still use this fucking retarded metal nozzle is mind blowing
>>
>>92717884
Just avoid the army painter garbage. Some genius decided to make their nozzle out of plastic so the plastic glue starts curing in the nozzle as you squeeze the stuff out. It leaves strings of plastic everywhere
>>
>>92718047
I like sniffing the fumes too
>>
>>92718140
inb4 the health nut anon starts throwing a fit you're gonna get lung cancer from sniffing a bit of acetone
>>
>>92718156
I assumed it was bad for my thinkbox not the lungs
>>
>>92718156
While smelling some acetone wont harm you, some of you are pretty nonchalant about getting paint all over your lungs, or being exposed to mineral spirits fumes as if they were harmless.
I dont know about you but I personally know several oil painters (one of them being an art teacher) who cannot use oil-based paints anymore due to being exposed to solvents for too many years

>inb4 bro just use odourless stuff
doesnt mean theres no fumes
>>
>>92718194
yeah that's why most hobby paints are acrylic
>>
>>92718214
>he truly believes getting his lungs coated in atomized acrylic paint is just fine 'cuz its not toxic'
>>
>>92718227
I use a fume hood and always spray with a mask on so I'm pretty sure I'm good.
That anon was talking about oil solvents which are toxic, if you brush on acrylics they're safe since they're soluble in water.
>>
Yipee, I bought proacryl, and am finally a professional painter!
>>
>>92715587
If you want actual good metallics you should be using gaianotes metallics thinned with either mr color rapid thinner or their metallic master thinner. This will give you the best looking metallics. Alclad is a good one but they're pretty finicky if you're adding ontop of them. Certain mr color ones are also very good.
>>
>>92718227
Reading comprehension.
>>
File: c4a.jpg (9 KB, 238x192)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>92718140
>smell of plastic glue is nostalgic to me
>mfw sitting there huffing fumes and thinking back to being 9 years old again
no I will not stop.
>>
File: IMG_1402.jpg (1.5 MB, 3210x3021)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
Done.
>>
>>92714577
anon, if you're still around, did you finish this guy? I really want to see, he's perfect so far.
>>
>Tamiya extra thin cement
>melts the plastic together
>amazon page says also good for woodworking
I'm confused, is it GLUE glue as in an adhesive, or the plastic melting stuff? Does the plastic melting also work on wood?

>>92718047
>It's also necessary if you want to make sprue goo, so you may want a second bottle (or just an empty glass bottle)
What is sprue goo? Dumping spare bits of sprue in so I have a pseudo-greenstuff type filler material?
>>
>>92718588
>What is sprue goo? Dumping spare bits of sprue in so I have a pseudo-greenstuff type filler material?
Kinda-sorta, yeah. The cement melts the sprue plastic into a slurry that you can fill gaps with.
>>
>>92718588
It is probably the amazon bots going haywire.
It only works on abs plastic.
>>
File: IMG_2781.jpg (1.52 MB, 2048x1148)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>92714577
I got commissioned by my FLGS to make some terrain for a 40k event they’ll be doing in a couple months. Usually when I do terrain it’s only individual pieces or objectives so this is a bigger project than I’m used to but I’m going to see it through.

I’ve reviewed the 10e terrain rules and my first set is going to be a sort of power station theme, full of pieces painted dark metal with orange glow effects. The scatter terrain will be a lot of pipes, then some medium sized pieces of fuel tanks, charging stations for vehicles, I even have an idea for these floating orbs to use as a forest. I also have two 1x2 cardboard inserts to turn into buildings, one of them is in the pic.

What would you gents consider the ideal amount of terrain for a board? The people commissioning me don’t know much about 40k, it’s a smaller part of their store’s identity that they’d like to expand upon, so I’m building their collection of sci-if terrain from scratch and I’d like to provide them enough for a whole 6x4 board, at least. I don’t expect there to be any hard rules, I’d just like to hear from people’s experience what the ideal amount of terrain is, and whether larger pieces are always good, or if some scatter is always preferred.
>>
File: IMG_2782.jpg (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>92715587
I’ve been using pro-acryl for my metallics and I’m never going back. I’ve used bronze, dark silver, and copper, and at this point I wish I’d gotten their entire metallics set because almost all my other metallics feel like watercolours in comparison.

I haven’t airbrushed the metallics, but I’ve done just about everything else with them. And I’ve airbrushed their titanium white and it works great. So I doubt there’s any problem shooting them through an airbrush.
>>
>>92718297
no, you need kimera for that
>>
>>92718806
Fuck. You're right. I forgot about Kimera.
>>
>>92718655
>abs
and yet, usual wargame plastic miniatures are made of polystyrene and many scale models of polyethylene and it works, it's not just abs
>>
>>92718227
Unironically yes. Your lungs are coated in slime and ribs that carry particles upward out of the lungs. Unless you inhale too many particles for your lungs to keep up, or the particles are toxic, you'll be okay.
>>
>>92718910
don't mind the guy, he probably thinks pollen you inhale during spring stays in your lungs till you die
>>
>tfw you order stuff, and realize you forgot a single 2 dollar thing and feel like a moron for needing to place an order for like a single 60mm base, or a tube of putty or whatever.
>>
>>92718966
Most small stores you can just contact right away and add small stuff to your order they will oblige, because they like making profit.
Though luck ordering from globohomos though
>>
>>92718966
>then you start ordering random shit to get to the minimum amount to get free shipping
>after paying you realize you forgot another thing you actually needed
this happened more than 3 times to me btw
>>
Tried SENMM on Ultron.
>>
>>92718297
Not anyone's fault their white is fantastic.
>>
File: 1430983338548.jpg (44 KB, 599x578)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>get an Artis Opus drybrush as a gift
>shitty $3 or something make up brush I bought a year ago is still better
lmao people unironically pay like $20 for these
>>
>>92718490
Looks good, but I have two tips for that tuft. Put a tiny drop of a dark brown wash at the base and drybrush the tips with a highlight color to really make it pop.
>>
>>92718490
Crisp
>>
>>92719091
https://www.amazon.com/wet-wild-Small-Eyeshadow-Brush/dp/B01EO2KLE4/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=sGNiE&content-id=amzn1.sym.3c3990c3-513c-4686-8d92-a42b4095cecb%3Aamzn1.symc.8b620bc3-61d8-46b3-abd9-110539785634&pf_rd_p=3c3990c3-513c-4686-8d92-a42b4095cecb&pf_rd_r=7PCPXW67ZTTJ47B2YM6V&pd_rd_wg=yYRO8&pd_rd_r=52b0a2d1-7ec8-4df4-8145-634c80390524&ref_=pd_hp_d_btf_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d&th=1

Unironically what I get for under $2 at the grocery store.
>>
Does anyone have the grimdark compendium vids locked behind their paywall?
>>
>>92718588
ALL plastic glue/cement is melting plastic to fuse it together.

>Does the plastic melting also work on wood?
Read that a couple of times and think about it
>>
>>92718655
>abs
you need abs glue for that
>>
File: the metal.jpg (3.17 MB, 3977x3000)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>92717680
Anon, thank you very much, I'm going to do just that.
Got some models from my school/uni days in the mail that I have to do right by. Green bases are going to fit nicely.
>>
File: 20240506_213424.jpg (2.29 MB, 4128x2322)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
I'll flock the bases with my son and do some touch-ups here and there, then I think I'll be done with this squad. Marines are pleasantly simple to paint.
>>
>>92719508
I don't know if human children make an effective basing material, you're probably better off using static grass
>>
File: 20240506_123815.jpg (1.64 MB, 4032x1908)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>92714577
A quick tester model for my marauders, wanted to make it quick and easy since I did not wanna spend a lot of time of a chaff unit
>>
How the fuck can I get smooth blends? I'm spending like an hour on a tiny section trying out glazes and at the end it's still barely decent looking
>>
>>92719532
Looks fine for chaff.
I think the gold and the bone need a highlight but it's not awful as is.
>>
>>92719177
Anon I don't know how it works, for all I know the same active ingredient that melts plastic also melts wood.
>>
File: 20240506_201727.jpg (539 KB, 3096x4128)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
Accidentally made Nougat T'au. Finally liking the scheme though after half a year of experimentation, Light Emerald with Cream White and Sunset Red Sep't colour. Squad leader here I'm actually quite pleased with, the new model colours are nice, if seemingly a tad more thick, lil more goopy and sadly close up, clogs some detail. Leaders will get a reversed scheme.
>>
>>92719598
Looks more mint than nougat.
>>
File: 20240501_160145.jpg (515 KB, 1107x1967)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
>>92719565
Aye good point, I'll go back in and do that again did not wanna spend a lot of time on them pic related is the finish sorc lord I gotta work on the mount next
>>
>>92719508
>Marines are pleasantly simple to paint.
Hey man, they haven't stuck around this long for no good reason
>>
>>92716674
bruh cant imagine painting vehicles without airbrush, especially considering how big they are now
>>
>>92719508
>Marines are pleasantly simple to paint.
Simple to paint, actually difficult to make look good
>>
>>92719563
Besides glazing, your options are wet blending, feathering, drybrushing, and the obvious: airbrushing.
>>
File: 20240506_215901.jpg (285 KB, 993x1323)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
I kinda wanna do some flames on the background but I am realizing how stupid it is to do that AFTER painting the subject. Ideas?
>>
>>92719740
This, armored units are 100% a case of easy to learn hard to master.

Painting things like cloth, skin, leather anything really organic? Much easier to learn to make look really good.
>>
>>92719563
Are you using a quality red sable brush? Because without it it's pointless without it, paint simply doesn't get deposited where you want it with any other brush.
Working on multiple sections at once would help speed up the process. Do it glaze by glaze but on all surfaces of the same colour at once. By the time you put a glaze everywhere, the first glaze is already dry.
I do have to admit this process is slow. I used it with great results for years, but then switched to oil paints because I wanted a faster workflow.
You could use oils of course, making smooth blends with them is trivial. You'd have to relearn everything else from scratch though, they take a lot of practice to understand what the hell you're supposed to do.
>>
Which color goes best with rose gold (specifically for capes/cloaks)?

I wanted to try red but burgundy sounds better.
>>
>>92719755
As long as you're careful it should be fine. I'd be more worried about the nice painting getting lost in visual noise
>>
>>92719790
There is no good answer anyone can just give you. All color theory on which colors look good together is bullshit. Some colors look good together some of the time, in certain contexts, other times they don't. The rules aren't consistent enough to be considered rules.
>>
>>92719790
>rose gold
Meant reddish gold.
>>
>>92719615
Looks weird on camera, shows up so badly via photos. Think more a sort of pea green almost.
>>92719790
Purple maybe?
>>92719755
Looks far too nice to distract with flames. Maybe just make some sort of energy veins emanating from her? I'd keep as it honestly.
>>
>>92719807
>>92719813
I'm going to try reddish gold and turquoise. See what happens.
>>
>>92719755
flames might make the art too visually dense, if you feel like it needs more I personally feel the idea of the graffiti you had in the concept phase could've been repositioned and improved on rather than outright cut
>>
File: file.png (886 KB, 660x767)
886 KB
886 KB PNG
>>92715883
the emp's champ promo mini
>>
>>92715478
Boiling hot water. Dunno about the other anons but in my experience you need boiling water, sometimes I have to reboil the water half way through if I'm having trouble getting it the way I want cause it cooled down too much.
>>
>>92717884
Just want to add that while tamiya extra thin is great, it smells way worse than my other plastic glue, which was a now oop testors model master. That said I rarely reach for the model master anymore, it cures slower.

Work with a window open. Im probably giving myself cancer or something.
>>
>>92715478
Hairdryer.
>>
>>92719755
its fine as is, if you feel like you need to fill a bit of the black add a tentacle or two or some cosmic background with lightning or something, flames would ruin it
>>
>>92717884
I use Revel Contacta Professional for large models and Tamiya Extra Thin for small parts and detail jobs. They work differently enough I find both worth having.
>>
>>92719755
Flames would probably be too much, but glazing a faint purple glow around her could be cool
>>
>>92718588
Just plastic, useless for wood.
>>
>>92719940
>Im probably giving myself cancer or something.
if the people at nail salons isnt dead you won't either, its just acetone and some other solvent, as long as you are not in a cublicle sniffing it on purpose you are fine
>>
>>92719907
Really nice metalic work anon.
>>
>>92715542
>>92715578
As another red schizo (what is it about red? Is it because it's the hardest to perfect?) Pyrrole red is the best general purpose red.
Naphthol fades and mixes/glazes poorly. Naphthol crimson is decently opaque (even in inks that are supposedly not) but it still has inferior permanence.
Quinacridone is too transparent for anything but glazing (although it is dynamite for that).
Red oxide has the perfect characteristics but only the best Venetian red avoids having a brown tint to it.
Pyrrole red covers very evenly and vividly, it's practically dead center in terms of hue. It's slightly transparent but it covers so evenly that it's not a problem. I would assume it's what Citadel uses.
>>92715587
Among art paints, I actually find that cheaper mica metallics from Liquitex Basics and W&N Galeria spray nicely, if you thin the hell out of them.
Anything with more sparkle than that gets a rough texture, and you shouldn't spray aluminum anyway.
>>
>>92715587
this guys reviews a TON of airbush metallics, most are not water based tho

https://www.youtube.com/@barbatosrex9473/search?query=metallics
>>
>>92719169
seconding this
>>
>>92719169
It always makes me sad that some fantastic painters have made guides that are "paint the rest of the fucking owl" tier while Grimdark has a video for tons of models when his technique is using AK Interactive products correctly (and then trying to compete with them).
>>
>>92714865
I have the following brushes
>collection of cheapo garbage synthetic brushes (like a 20 pack of various shapes for 3.50 off amazon)
>prinston select round blender size 6 and 12
These are really nice for both base coating and dry brushing.
https://www.dickblick.com/items/princeton-select-natural-bristle-brush-round-blender-short-handle-size-12/
>winsor and newton series 7 pointed round size 2
In fact get 2 they are on sale right now. Keep one for only eyes, it will last you a lifetime. I actually have the size 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. I never use any of them but the 2, which is what I paint space marine helmets with. A smaller brush does not mean a pointier brush, it just means less water can be stored so the tip dries out faster. I just find the 3 and 4 a bit unwieldy, probly because I used the 2 for so long before I got them to try. The only time I use the 1 is when I physically cannot fit the 2 in the space I want to paint.
https://www.dickblick.com/items/winsor-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-brush-pointed-round-size-2/

Synthetic bristles will always form a hooked tip, and natural hair brushes will not. This is the nature of the game, synthetics still are great for being cheap, and sometimes a hooked tip actually helps to edge highlight when you cant approach at a shallow angle.
>>
File: brush0004.jpg (3.48 MB, 4032x3024)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
>>92720209
Forgot to post pic. This shows what I mean about the tip, 000 next to 4.
shorter brush =
>less belly for water, dries out faster
>easier to get paint into ferrule, this kills the brush.
The only advantage of a smaller brush is it can fit where a larger one cannot.
>>
>>92719755
Feint glow around the cube and you're done. Either purple like her skin or turquoise like her hair.
>>
>>92714865
I use a set of round drybrushes, Army painter ones for quick and large area covering and being really aggressive with. a set of Artis Opus dry brushes for details and gentle work

Windsor newton 1 round brush for oil washing in very specific spots.

A cheapo synthetic brush for oil washing

A Artis opus 1 round for layering, 1 and 0 miniature for more detail/layering in hard to reach spots.
>>
File: 1355838386421.jpg (50 KB, 574x697)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>92720556
>meme opus
Why not just get rosemary? It's literally the same company making them and they have longer bristles which makes them better for literally everything.
Even their drybrushes are a bit of a letdown because a shitty makeup brush will have softer bristles making it better for smooth drybrushing.
>>
>>92720593
I got them as a gift set.
>>
>>92720593
oh and the thing about rosemary is that they're fucking cheaper too lol
>>
>>92720610
>They are cheaper
Not cheaper then free because it was a gift.
>>
>>92720626
>>92720602
oh all right you're excused then :)
>>
>>92717726
Those spirit hosts are nice. Great bases too. Yours?

Looking around for something to make some decent bat swarms myself.
>>
>>92720645
They are good brushes and I would say they are worth the price? Ehhhh yes and no? do i think they are over priced? a bit, do i think they are a rip off? no. But you can get just as good of brushes from other places as well i admit that.
>>
>>92720676
I'm not saying they're bad, they're actually quite solid. But you can get similar or even better(Rosemary) quality for less. Sure, the wooden boxes and shit are nice but it's still too expensive. Also out of all decent brushes I got AO lost their tips the fastest and I take good care of my brushes.
>>
>>92720724
>Also out of all decent brushes I got AO lost their tips the fastest and I take good care of my brushes.
DESU i had this happen with Series 7's more then any other brush i have used.
But yeah i feel you i have the same opinion as well.
>>
I've only been using synthetic brushes and they get destroyed so quickly its kind of crazy. Is it actually worth it to invest in a couple good brushes?
>>
>>92720795
Yes if you are not using it like a complete fucking animal.
>>
>>92719723
I mean, I wouldn't paint 10 dreads in a row with a brush. I still have an impulsor to build and paint though.

>>92720795
I think it's definitely worth it to invest at least in one good natural hair brush for small details like eyes, scribbles on scrolls etc.
>>
File: banshees.png (798 KB, 936x680)
798 KB
798 KB PNG
>>92720661
>Yours?
yes, banshees too

>Looking around for something to make some decent bat swarms myself.
I got the bats from cursed city for that but havent done them yet
>>
>>92720795
It's not like they're much more durable, so if you're a brush destroyer you might wanna learn what you're doing wrong first.. unless you're buying really shit brushes that fall apart when you touch them.
>>
What's your backlog /wip/?
You are working on it, aren't you?

>Shading and highlighting doomsday ark
>Highlighting Lokhust Destroyer
>Painting printed Monolith
>Priming printed Nightbringer
>Polishing and building Kamothep the Crooked
>Painting quite a few forgotten Tau and Space Marines
>>
>>92720909
I'm surprised at how well the older mini and new mesh together. Your paintjob is really unifying.

>>92720909
>bats from cursed city
Neat. Didn't know this was a thing.

They look a bit too married to their scenic bases but some careful cutting and GS work looks like it might be enough to do the trick. Thanks Anon!

>>92720948
10 Firewarriors (will need to convert 5 Van Saar's)
Pirhanna, Just the paint
2 Devilfish, again, mainly just the paint
>>
>>92719501
amazing minis! I'm jealous.
>>
File: NL1.jpg (158 KB, 2040x912)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Tips on painting Runelord Brass (right)? It feels like a very week pigment compared to retributor gold (left).
I want to try a metallic that's not gold as it feels very overdone
>>
>>92721119
Silver metallic undercoat such as Leadbelcher
And then multiple thin coats of Runelord Brass. Usually I use around 4 to 6 coats. The paint fucking sucks, but it looks nice.
>>
>>92719045
Odd question, but did you enter this guy into a competition recently?
>>
What's a good base colour for >>92719598 since I tried battlemire and looks not amazing, I really don't want to go astrogranite but it works for everything. Battlemire feels almost too dark, I also want to experiment with water resin. Also side note, how hard is citadel texture paint to remove from bases?
>>
>>92721540
that reminds me astrogranite is discontinued
>>
File: PXL_20240506_2130026932.jpg (432 KB, 3111x1605)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
Finnally content with the bases, just takes a lot of milliput, when im gonna apply this to my whole army.
>>
File: 1707058869244280.gif (1.44 MB, 498x457)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB GIF
>>92721208
>4-6 coats of runelord
Please tell me you didn't do this; I will fucking kill myself doing this on CSM trim
>>
>>92722038
heh heh
get used to it
learn to love the pain
>>
>>92722038
If you want to be a gamer you can use inks to tint silvers into whatever color you want.
>>
If I want to apply one decal over another, should I put a layer of varnish on between them? Or is Micro Sol & Set enough?
>>
>>92722188
I'd put some varnish, I don't use micro set so I wouldn't know how that works, but I wouldn't risk micro sol softening back the old decal.
>>
>>92720948
>apply nuln oil to my first battletech mini
>prime and paint the other one from the battletech starter box
>paint sept markings on fire warriors
>paint the rest of my fire warriors from primed
>decide what kind of varnish I want to buy
>paint the bunch of the drones I've primed
>build prime and paint the rest of my tau start collecting box
>unbox my pathfinders
>unbox my 2016 collectors edition terminator chaplain and greenstuff him into a primaris so he can be a Sons of the Phoenix
>unbox my fireblade cadre
>strip the primer off, clean up and try to save 3 poorly assembled stealth suits I was gifted
>do something with the dark vengeance cultists I bought some still on original sprue
>assemble prime and paint the models of the month I've accumulated (1 chaos marine w/ heavy bolter, blackstone fortress chaos cultist champion, space marine intercessor, some AoS swamp cultist, deathwing knight
>>
>want to paint
>been tired
> cough up some blood
don't think i'll have to worry about running out of minis to paint lol
>>
File: PXL_20240507_011121444.MP.jpg (2.03 MB, 3072x4080)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_7782.jpg (887 KB, 1765x2511)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
I’m trying to find a balance between looking decent and efficiency as I’m painting a whole boatload of these guys for space hulk. This genestealer is done (?) except for fixing up the pink on one of his claws.
>>
File: 1711138662922998.jpg (180 KB, 620x446)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>92720948
>What's your backlog /wip/?
--necrons--
40 necron warriors
20 immortals
3 wraiths
1 monolith
3 doomstalkers
3 canoptek spyders
1 warden, technomancer, and plasmancer
1 overlord
1 scythe
--chaos knights--
10 wardogs
1 knight abominant
1 despoiler
--custodes--
1 Auric Champions box set
1 Trajan Valoris

I keep planning to work on my models but I work innawoods. Too tired to do anything but sleep and watch videos on my days off.
>>
is a wet palete necessary?
>>
>>92722877
Not really, but it helps dilute your paints and keep them wetter longer.
They're not hard to create. Just use a ceramic plate or something.
>>
>>92722877
I still use the dollar store plastic palettes. Works fine.
>>
File: IMG_4023.jpg (1.75 MB, 4032x3024)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
MkV coming along. I dont have the right size studs so I had to order some more. Sadly they are coming from china so wont be able to finish him for a month.
>>
File: IMG_3618.jpg (3.02 MB, 4022x2490)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
Some inceptors I’m working on. Drybrush plasma is hard :/
>>
Is Vallejo Game Air any good? Looking for some paints to use with my airbrush.
>>
>>92721507
No lol
>>
File: IMG_20220629_153828.jpg (964 KB, 2275x2224)
964 KB
964 KB JPG
>>92722038
Idk about him but I didnt need 4 coats. Usually 2 is enough, the coverage is fine.
Picrel, trim on abby is runelord+reikland
>>
>>92723676
I have those same rocks.
>>
>>92722457
Did you make it able to pop out and replace it with some dark water?
>>
File: IMG_5767.jpg (1.17 MB, 2448x2318)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
Finished up my first finecast model, a Weirdboy. Definitely happy with how it came out as it was one of the more… involved miniatures due to the number of pieces that needed to be glued together awkwardly (like the Gretchin on the back holding chains). I also got a chance to try out some different wash and highlight options along with using AK Interactive Still Water. Still, I totally see why finecast resin is so reviled because this entire thing was a nuisance to clean up and paint.

And while there are absolutely some things I would do differently (basing dried lighter so I had to darken it up a lot with warm browns and even with the use of hot water the staff kept warping weird), it was a fun learning experience.

Back to regular plastic now where I want to try airbrushing dark purple from under the next Ork to give a bit of color in the shadows.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (180 KB, 912x2040)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>92720948
kill me I have an age of darkness box behind me
>>
>>92724576
How long did you spend trying to straighten that finecast staff before giving up?
>>
>>92720948
seraphon
>pretty much half of the vanguard box
sylvaneth
>6 kurnoth hunters
>5 flier revenants
>a couple dryads
admech
>4 kataphrons
>a couple skittles
>ordered and archaeopter and serberys riders so ad that too
tomb kings
>15 tomb guard
>5 ushabti
>necrosphinx
>3 stalkers/necro knights
>Nekaph

At least a years worth of painting at my pace and autistic need to get every single miniature to at least basic highlights, Probably would've been through half of all this if I just rushed a couple kits but I can't bring myself to
>>
>>92724777

About an hour. I would place it in super hot water and then bend it straight only for the curve to reappear after a period. I did this a few times before realizing I didn’t care enough to fight any longer. I know my limits and the resin won.
>>
>>92720948
>my mfw when
>>
>>92724879
You could at least paint 2 models in the time it took you to make that chart.
>>
File: 1421578105329.gif (1.3 MB, 296x244)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>>92724879
suddenly I don't feel that bad about my pile anymore, thanks anon
>>
>>92724884
I have a feeling like at least half of the people posting here just buy the models(or not even that) and watch others painting them on youtube. They come here only to shitpost and pretend to be experts on everything
>>
File: 1714941535101764.gif (3.76 MB, 324x324)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB GIF
>>92724879
>all those genestealers
Bruuuh
I admire your enthusiasm.
>>
File: 1709011543272509.jpg (417 KB, 1232x1920)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
>>92720948
Heh...
Everything is in a state ranging from unbuilt to needs a couple highlights
70 Boyz
20 squigboys
Beastboss
6 squig riders with their Nobz
Squigbuggy
2 battlewagons
3 deffkoptas
2 Ork jets
3 Mek gunz
10 Lootaz
2 deff dreads
Stompa
Waaagh banner nob
3 meganobz
10 nobs
20 grots
70 tac marines
25 assault marines
20 devastators
Praetor
3 Termie captains
Apothecary
15 cataphractii
10 indomitus termies
3 scout bikes
10 scouts
Contemptor Dread
6 rhino chassis
Land raider
Spartan
3 drop pods
Sororitas rhino
Immolator
40 battle sisters
6 arcos
6 repentia and 2 superiors
...20 seraphim?
Celestine
Palatine
1 or 2 canonesses
I think 5 retributors
50 catachans
6 russes
Chimaera
Deathstrike
10 kasrkin (might sell these guys, I hate Cadians)
30 Kabalites
20 Wyches?
Lelith
Venom
6 scourges

I think that's it.
>>
Probably the wrong place to ask but idk where else could I possibly talk about this

I've managed to get a miniature that is somewhat appreciated by collectors and I think it would be great if it was more readily available to everyone even if not from geedubs.
The thing is, I dont personally know about *cough* unlicensed miniature producers *cough* I could get in touch for them to make moulds and stuff.

How would you proceed in this case?
>>
>>92724936
Oh, and like 25 Cawdor fighters. And a whole Clones army for legion.
>>
>>92724941
You could probably just contact some of the more prominent recasters, check if they have the mini you're talking about and work with them from there. Don't know if they'd be willing to give you a cut or anything but it's worth a try. The most famous one is Black Market Miniatures I think? I also buy from a couple others but they don't do Warhammer so I'm not sure if it's worth contacting them
>>
>>92724941
google
>>
>>92724941
>The thing is, I dont personally know about *cough* unlicensed miniature producers *cough* I could get in touch for them to make moulds and stuff.

If thats the case, what makes you think they dont already have your miniature?

If you want to spread it, get it 3d-scanned and cleaned, and upload it for free somewhere. Even tho, same as above: What makes you think that miniature is not already out there?
>>
>>92724973
Yeah Ill probably email them and ask about it, thanks

>>92724983
>If thats the case, what makes you think they dont already have your miniature?
Well I dont see it on their catalogue for sale
>>
>>92715465
GSW is absolute shit, nothing they offer isn't cheaper on aliexpress -where they buy it from before rebranding anyway
Plus they try to steal other people's inventions
trash company that needs to die
>>
>>92725076
It's kinda true, everything I ever got from them has been subpar except for maybe the UV resin. Dunno about their paints because I never felt like giving them a try
>>
>>92724927
Well, I made the list and got about twice as many finished models in display cabinets.
I have a hard time deciding on a scheme but I finally got one for the marines. It's rather quick, see >>92718490 so I should breeze through them.

>>92724905
>>92724934
They speak to me, the kind of army where I wouldn't be mad if I lost a game just because they are so scummy. Also, I don't plan on painting every little gubbin they have, just gotta decide on a scheme...
>>
>>92720593
Anon, these are pay piggies you are talking to
they pay 50$ for 50c of paper, a 1$ sponge and a plastic container that you throw out
they buy shit quality mini paints when artists paints are a tiny bit more expensive
and there are people STILL buying GW resin when recasters are 1/3 the price for the exact same quality
>>
>>92725076
You keep seething anytime GSW is mentioned
Did they kill your dog or something?
>>
>>92724927
For me it usually goes
>have backlog
>can't hobby due to work or other shit
>start working on it again
>burn through some models fast
>backlog goes down
>get some other models because I'd rather have them sit there for some time than either losing them due to OOP shenanigans, or having to pay them triple the price later
>work or other shit happen again
>can't paint for maybe months
>backlog is now worse
>>
>>92724936
Is this a "remaster" of the old image? Why?
>>
>>92724941
black market mini will accept it if it's valuable and send you some casts and cash
what do you have?
>>
>>92725147
But I dont want casts and cash, I just want them to make a mould (or several) and give me my mini back

Its a Games Day ork nob
>>
>>92725117
nufag go check the archives, look for cable roller and color shift, that should be enough to show you how shit they are
>>
>>92725155
I dont give a fuck if im honest with you
>>
>>92725153
they might, send them a message, I've used about 10 recasters and know what most offer, unfortunately orks arent my thing
Post a pick and I'll tell you if I've seen it
>>
>>92725162
then stfu, green stuff world is cancer and has a habit of stealing other people's ideas, copyrighting it and then trying to threaten the other party, I would bet money it's owned by a jewish man
>>
File: IMG_20240507_104421.jpg (1.58 MB, 2087x2021)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>92725163
This one
I only know about 2 recasters and neither have it, which is why I'm asking
>>
>>92725178
Did you check black market mini?
>>
>>92725183
Nevermind found it for you
>>
>>92725190
I didnt know about that one, glad I dont have to deal with the hassle then
>>
>>92725190
Oh wait that looks slightly different, it's got horns
>>
>>92725194
its a conversion someone made, weird they'd use that picture
>>
>>92725197
oh ok, that's a ok company if you want stuff, has metal infinity models
>>
>>92725172
almost sounds like a corporation, who would have known
theres scummy practices from every company, choosing to boicott just one is delusional
do you buy any nestle products? unilever? pepsico? the list is endless

and dont pretend im defending gsw because im not, i dont care, i just buy wherever is most convenient (and is not them most of the time anyways)
>>
>>92725105
I mean I assume a lot of people here aren't poor students or anything. If you have a decent job where some hobby purchases aren't impactful on your budget you really stop giving a fuck about spending a bit more.I have no life so I don't mind doing a bit of research before purchasing shit but I understand the sentiment of not doing it for the sake of convenience.
That's why I feel it's worthwhile to tell people of better/cheaper alternatives without calling them names
>>
>>92725205
>just ignore bad things, everyone does them
nose check please
>>
>>92725172
Who gives a shit? If someone "invents" something, he can copyright it himself. If he doesn't, its free.
If someone is to stupid to do business, he gets beaten by others who are businessmen first, and hobbyists second.

GSW has a nice selcetion of stuff, for somewhat ok prices (some stuff is cheaper to buy directly from Aliexpress, or print it at home if you have a printer), but in general they are a great company.

>I would bet money it's owned by a jewish man
I would join a political party (or islam) if i wanted to fight the jooos, but guess what: I want to paint miniatures to play with them, and i couldn't care less.
>>
>>92725223
keep virtue signaling with a 20 man barely known company doing some nonconsecuential stupid decisions while bigger companies actualy enslave people

how about we instead try to force regulations on them
>>
>>92714891
All the wet palette are the fucking same, just make one from plastic box and sponge cloth like this guy
https://youtu.be/6cn7U5rBJUg?si=rLq3n8WxIWuRcBHL
>>
GSW is selling "contrast"-style paint in 60ml bottles for 2€ less than the price of a GW 18ml contrast pot.

That alone redeems them from every sin they might have ever done and makes them Nonjews by definition.
>>
>>92725274
>I want to paint miniatures to play with them
post your supposed minis
>>
>>92725281
>oi vey don't focus on us doing bad stuff, other people do worse!
Lol
>>
>>92714891
The only wet palette that is better than others is the redgrass one but it's pretty expensive for what it is. It's a lot better though because it uses membranes instead of paper so it moisturizes the paint without overloading it with water. I think the new Army Painter one uses something similar? It's pretty great if you feel like spending more
>>
>>92725313
GSW paints are shit, you get what you pay for
>>
>>92725326
>>92725281
Can you both fuck off? Go on twitter if you want to preach, nobody here gives a fuck and you will not change anyone's mind no matter how hard you try
>>
>>92725084
Their fluo paints are really good to be fair, but I try to avoid buying from them where I can because the company are dicks
>>
>>92725340
I seen some wet pallete even have water guiding paper, what the fuck is water guiding paper? What the fuck is color mixing paper?
https://www.dspiae.com/productinfo/1027546.html
>>
>>92725345
why not? it changed my mind when I first heard about it from here
>>
>>92725318
here you go silly Anon, a pic from my desk with some AoS barbarians i glued together this morning.
In the forefront, you can see the nice GSW roller tool, and in the background some of their big bottles of dipping ink.

Anon, i pirate STLs, made by people who "steal" the IP from GW (or directly scan the miniatures), and GW in turn got "inspired" by other sources themselves.
I buy recasts from china and russia, thus indirectly supporting those "regimes", i download vidya for free, i stream movies and tv shows without paying for them, i download novels, audiobooks, rulebooks etc..

Do you really think i care about a company from spain having a copyright claim against someone over a hobby tool that is made in china for pennies regardless?

>>92725343
They are excellent to tint over any primer and i really like their effect.
>>
File: minis.jpg (269 KB, 1280x960)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>92725376
>>
>>92725340
>The only wet palette that is better than others is the redgrass one but it's pretty expensive for what it is.

It really is not.
>>
>>92725376
>They are excellent to tint over any primer and i really like their effect.
They have the ugliest/weakest effect of all the contrast-like paints I've tried so far.
>>
>>92725388
Show some results and some paints you used?
>>
>>92725388
>/weakest effect

That is not a bad thing, they are more like the first issue of contrast, which would let the primer show through a lot better than some of the newer paints that do a full coverage without a lot of shading.

Take Imperial Fist yellow as an example. its an excellent yellow, but its an horrible "contrast" paint.
>>
>>92725393
You can find plenty of videos on GSW dipping inks, no need for me to post anything
>>
>>92722064
>silvers
duraluminum is goat
>>
>>92725399
Ah, what i thought.. you made it up.
>>
>>92725397
Theres 'weak effect' meaning 'not tinting enough' and theres 'no contrast effect' meaning...well, exactly that.
I dislike those new 'contrast paint' that dont act as such. Just like the Intense Xpress Color
>>
>>92725386
It really is. I've used like 3 different wet palettes and this is easily the superior one. Have you actually used it or are you just shitposting for the sake of it
>>
>>92725408
How so? uhm its keeping the paint usable for 5 more minutes compare to DIY palette?
>>
>>92725406
I have not used every dipping ink, so i cant speak for all of them. But the browns and especially the black i use frequently, and they tint quite nicely without being too strong. The light blue is also quite nice.
I like them. I also like a lot of the AP and Vallejo "speed paints", as well as some of GWs Contrasts. But so far every range i've bought this type of paint from had its weaker colors which i wouldn't buy again once they are empty and i'm sure there are some among the GSW line as well.
Still their price is vastly superior to all the competitions, and saying that everything is garbage just because someone hates the company is just completely silly to me.
>>
>>92725408
I like to believe that it is actually better, but is it that much better that it justifies its crazy price?

I might be able to find it a few euros cheaper, but just googling it shows me its between 35 and 45€ (v2 Edition). Also additional papers/foams cost like 20€.

From what i see, AK, GSW, AP are all around 20€ (again, probably its possible to find them a few € cheaper if looking properly).

What exactly makes that thing twice as good, to justify twice the price of the other brands?

And then there is the stuff from Aliexpress, that actually is below 10€ (and according to Squidmars Aliexpress Scam Video) is pretty good too.
>>
File: demon begone.png (399 KB, 500x565)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>60 bucks for a wet palette
Fucking crazy hobbyist shit
>>
>>92725420
The membrane transfers the water at a slower rate so the the paint actually STAYS in the consistency you prepared it in and is not overloaded with water after a couple minutes. You obviously can do without this, it's just nicer imho.
>>92725452
I'm not saying it's necessary or anything and yes it is pretty expensive for what it is as I've said. It is noticeably more comfortable to work with though and that's my point. Maybe you can someting similar on Ali, I can't be arsed to check
>>
>>92725484
overpriced sponges and parchment paper is so 2000 and late it's all about buying 200 dollar lamps
>>
>>92725540
Tbh, a good lamp is quite nice to have. I got one from work (at home, thx corona) that i can dim and change the light colors with my phone. I love it. (and i would never spend those $300 it probably costs myself)
>>
>>92725540
their lamp at least has a value proposition, you won't find a similar color quality unless you build it yourself or go to professional color grading stuff that will cost an order of magnitude more

is still way too much for a lamp even if your job is painting miniatures
>>
>>92725484
Still working with my wet pallete from army painter that i got for 20 bucks with refills 3 years later.
>>
>>92723652
Just buy tortuga you sped
>>
File: IMG_0041.jpg (303 KB, 516x1020)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>92717884
I’ve been plastic modelling for forty years and the best plastic cement I have ever found is Plastruct Plastic-Weld. I use it to actually glue shit together because it’s extremely strong and fast-drying, and the Tamiya extra thin to make sprue-goo gap filler.
>>
>>92725484
A swedish dishcloth on a plate with some parchment paper on top is like $5
>>
>>92725380
Lmao imagine defending a paint company cos you bought their shitty paints
>>
>>92725399
Dipping inks?
wait they ripped off army painter as well?
>>
>>92725380
I notice the paint isn't actually on the models...
>>
>>92720948

https://pileofpotential.com/Luigino?project=83630141

here's my pile of shame as of my last count. it should be fairly accurate since it was taken after stripping everything and sorting it into cohesive "painting groups".
there's probably a handful of miniatures that didn't make the count plus sa couple of things I scratch built since then.
>>
>>92725920
>imagine boycotting a random company because you read something somewhere
>>
>>92725949
Do you paint the parts in the sprue?
>>
>>92723943
Yes, it's fine.
>>
File: 1669781649576811.jpg (14 KB, 259x177)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>92725140
The whole thing is stealing an old joke.
>>
>>92726005
Your endorsement of the paints would be more reassuring if we could actually see the paints in use
>>
To be honest, I'm close to actually buying wet palette paper since so far I never managed to find baking paper not covered both sides.
>>
>>92724936
Bruh, do you need a quote for all that? I don't suppose you have a list of stuff that is actualy painted?
>>
>>92725484
I use some random plastic container with a lid and baking paper. My sponge is squares I cut out of an incontinence blanket for puppies. Costs jack shit.
>>
>>92726082
see >>92725399

I dont have to proof anything, and i will use them eventually once my barbarians im building right now are completed, then based and then primed, yet the claims the paint is shit stands in the room with our friend who claims to have "tried" them has nothing to show besides "lol check youtube".
>>
What's a good tutorial for making bases?
>>
>>92726119
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006016306314.html
>>
>>92726212
What kind of bases?
>>
>>92726147
>My sponge is squares I cut out of an incontinence blanket for puppies
And as a bonus, you can lay the spares down on the floor by your painting station so you can avoid interruptions when you're in the zone
>>
>>92726213
No, anon, I won't order anything from Aliexpress and wait few months for shipping.
>>
File: IMG20230919200813.jpg (1.01 MB, 4624x3468)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>92726125
Sure why not
A lot of my tac marines are 3 color minimum. I have a boxnaught, Gabriel Angelos, a primaris chaplain, a champion, a captain, an ancient (though he could use a touchup), a Warboss, a weirdboy (I'm not sure if he needs shade, or if he needs to be stripped), a Shock Attack Gun, a Russ Battle Tank, 20 Catachans (they could use a highlight, they're not part of the 30 aforementioned), a Heavy Weapon Squad, a Sly Marbo, and a converted Straken (he could use a bit of love). The Kasrkin are base coated and based, they could use some tufts. One of the jets is a Wazbom that I think has a nice base, and has a good start of a base coat.
A lot of my boys have some paint on them. 15 or so are done in a basic contrast scheme that needs highlights, 10 have an 'eavy metal base coat and shade, they just need details.
Like I said, a lot of it has SOME paint on it, but almost nothing is "done" to my wishes.
This is an old pic of the contemptor. A lot of things are about at this state. Much have less, some have more.
>>
>>92726369
If you sit down for an afternoon, and give your entire army some bases made from texturepaint, the overall look will feel so much better already, and it will feel like a huge accomplishment.
>>
>>92726358
Most stuff from Ali takes 2 weeks now if you're in the US (only country that matters)
>>
>>92726393
What's the best way to do urban bases? I've got astro granite, some of that white dry paint, and a bunch of basing trash from MCP kits that get left at the FLGS.
>>
>>92726046
I'm aware of the real life one, I'm just wondering why one would remaster the same image in the same setting with "updated" visuals. I could understand if it changed the faction or something.
>>
>>92726419
Youtube?

In general, glue on your basing trash, paint it, apply paste around, it and then drybrush.
>>
>>92726409
My recent order took 8 days (to Germany).
Its been literal years since they took more than 3 weeks. Their 10-day-delivery guarantee is very reliable.
>>
>>92726419
Pour plaster into a paper plate and smash it with a hammer to make broken up slabs of concrete for your base.
>>
>>92726512
That's fuckin dope, thanks anon
>>
I'm in the mood to build an mdf terrain piece, so i went to the TT Combat website.

They have a range of acrylic paint now too.
Apparently releasing an entire paint range is the thing to do these days.
Has anyone actually used those yet (i doubt it). Have you seen any youtube reviews?
>>
>This is big and revolutionary according to mini people
>8 different variety of guns (lol) but you need to magnetize (cash) the shit out of it otherwise no way fag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eramIBOJDw0
Meanwhile a Zoids double the size of this shit is only costed half the price of the Baneblade
>>
File: Goatmedic.jpg (353 KB, 2880x2880)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
Keep the backpack for my bitsbox or keep it on to push the medic-vibe of this goatster? The idea is that they've raided a stormtrooper armoury and got some top notch gear
>>
>>92726641
I'd say keep it, it sells it well.
>>
File: IMG_20240220_191737.jpg (4.56 MB, 4208x3120)
4.56 MB
4.56 MB JPG
>>92726213
I have this shit and its soo fucking small
>>
>>92726526
alternatively pour it onto wrinkled tinfoil to make rocks
>>
I really like my redgrass games wet pallete although I wish I got the bigger one instead. But it works extremely well and I've never had mold issues or anything with it either even though sometimes it'll go months without cleaning and using it
>>
>>92726599
It seems revolutionary to you that regular plastic kits are cheaper than GW.
Any other news?
>>
>>92726951
I have it too, as well as an AP one.
I'd say its half it the size of the army painter palette. Big enough for anything with not too many colors needed.
>>
If you want to DIY a wet palette just get a tin of amazon basics crayons for 6 euros. As a bonus the crayons can be turned into weathering powder.
>>
>>92726212
eonsofbattle has a whole playlist of different basing styles
>>
File: eradicators.jpg (335 KB, 2000x742)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
I still have 2 more to build/prime/paint.
I feel like for a squad this is 'good enough' and I should save all the extra stuff (highlighting, fixing every tiny little mistake) for centerpieces.
shit/10, where am I landing here?
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (70 KB, 640x480)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>92714577

Edge highlighting looks goofier than drybrush highlighting, and takes much longer
>>
>>92728225
Yeah, that looks fine to me. You could spend an extra 5 mins picking up some highlights on the gorgets. But I agree if you're gonna paint more, you shouldnt bother with every little thing. For example, I tend to ignore highlighting and washing every details on the back of most my minis.
>>
>>92728239
How do you highlighting with makeup brush?
>>
>>92728512
like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoUPT_ctBBY
>>
>>92725697
Arnt the tortuga bay minis more small scale like the new HH stuff?
>>
File: 1715103420818.jpg (574 KB, 1000x905)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
I'm not a Warhammer guy and have never bought any of the minis from it but I really love this design. Where's the cheapest I can get it in the US? I pretty much only make and buy 3d printed minis
>>
>>92728239
Looks better though.
>>
>>92728662
Realistically, the cheapest you will be able to get 40K models is if you have a friend that works at a GW retailer or LGS store that can order it at cost.
Second best place would be ebay. There are plenty of people who sell off their collections for one reason or another. You can strip and repaint whatever models exist there.
Thirst best place is amazon or a third party retailer. NEVER GO GW FOR ANYTHING EVER.
>>
>>92728662
Recaster (?% off) = Ebay (?% off) > retailer (10-20% off) > GW website (full price).
>>
>>92728662
why are you asking this in /wip/
>>
>>92728662
>Where's the cheapest I can get it in the US?
Google
>>
File: 1710354891897.jpg (1.41 MB, 2268x4032)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
speedpainted the base
>>
>>92728662
I assume you're in the US.

GW is about to increase their prices; it will happen next month (June, 2024). Currently MSRP for the Necron Void Dragon is $125US.

On Ebay, Void Dragon is gonna run you ~$106.00US, plus eBay will charge the appropriate tax. There are several sellers who will ship for free, though. I also know Harvey over at Flip of a Coin Games has two Void Dragons in stock priced at $100 each, and while he doesn't offer free shipping, there's no "extra" for tax.
>>
What's your favourite way to paint lenses? Just done assembled a Devilfish and she's got a lot of reflective lenses and parts like a glass viewing port near the front. Also the kit seems to have aged really damn well, T'au aesthetic is timeless I guess, but some parts of the mould are obviously wearing now, far more flash and some parts not fitting perfectly together.
>>
>>92729190
Pretty good. You ever use wet effects?
>>
>>92729190
Dude please, please add some more shadows around the eyes. Now it looks like they're about to pop right out of their fucking sockets
>>
>>92729223
>GW is about to increase their prices; it will happen next month (June, 2024).
Are they?
>>
File: gw_pricing_update.jpg (153 KB, 596x714)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>92729496
>Are they?
Do the Berenstain Bears shit in the woods? You can read about it here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/07/2024-pricing-update
>>
First time using bluestuff to recast some bits, wish me luck
I shall post the results once Im finished
>>
>>92728662
Amazon has it for just under 100
https://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Warhammer-40k-Echarde/dp/B08LB8JYHP
>>
File: IMG_20240507_211848~2.jpg (326 KB, 983x927)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
To that anon recommending AK 3rd gen paints - are you sure they are good choice? Grabbed few shades for testing and applied basic skin tone over grey primer on test spare piece from one model and honestly, they appears quite thinned straight from bottle and after two thin layers, it's still uneven. Overall behaves like Vallejo new Game Color, which is not compliment (especially since I'm looking for replacements as they will change their Model Color formula to match Game). Unless I'm doing something wrong (I treat them just like I would treat Vallejo).
>>
>>92729542
Good luck man, I'm gonna use it myself for the first time in the next days/weeks. Gonna try and recast some tabards.

Are you gonna use green stuff, milliput, or something else entirely?
>>
File: 20240507_223017.jpg (764 KB, 1560x1142)
764 KB
764 KB JPG
>>92725484
>Fucking crazy hobbyist shit
aparently the problem is that they dont sell good baking paper in 90% of the world if the complains from recent years are anything to believe
no idea why would anyone then purchase some expensive commercial apparatus instead of just getting a roll from ebay to last a lifetime
>>
>>92729751
>Are you gonna use green stuff, milliput, or something else entirely?
Actually I was thinking about a mix of both gs and milliput
>>
>>92729454
No i havent but im looking to get some for some of my dredge marine models and
>>
>>92729792
Lmao I was considering doing that too. Saw this guy doing that when I was researching sculpted tabards.
https://youtu.be/EW_aVpW__KM?si=6_oExLXzR6T964ZF&t=85
>>
New thread:

>>92729839
>>92729839
>>92729839
>>
>>92729624
NTA, but skin color straight over grey primer is already a mistake.
>>
>>92729792
yes do that
>>
>>92729862
And what would you do instead? Over white primer? Darker shade like some burnt umber?
>>
>>92729902
Usually white. A color can work, but that depends on skin tone, etc. I honestly dislike grey primer in general, it's a jack of all trades, master of none.
>>
>>92720948
to paint
>7 models from stormcast army
>3.5 models from word bearers (one is half painted but I hate how its coming, going to strip and restart)
>half a vet guard kill team
>ork kill team
>kill team starter set terrain
test models
>8 squig test models I've stripped to practice ork skin on, need priming
>5 ork test models I've stripped to practice for the kommandos, need priming
>5 test marines I've stripped, need priming
also thinking about stripping the rest of the stormcast army since i'm not feeling how the army is looking.
>>
>>92725997
>bro just breath in asbestos particles, just cos you read something somewhere doesn't mean shit
You sound smart
>>
>>92726358
depends where you are, Australia is pretty fast
>>
>>92732464
I like 1 more than 2, but 2 is good too if you are going for the more desaturated vibe.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.