[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I hate this game!! I swear, it's like the regular games but 10x the luck based. I'm fine with losing, but losing because I was unlucky really grind my gears. The amount of time of me just having a basic pokemon on my side, waiting for a energy card and get nothing but stage 1 and stage 2 pokemon is infuriating. It's even worse when trying to relearn the strength and weakness of every types all over again, especially since this is Gen 1 version of the cards.
>>
It's fine anon, you suck at the game because you've only just started playing. Here let me give you some pointers:
>make sure there's 24 energy cards in your deck
>try to have between 15 and 18 basic Pokemon cards
>between 8 and 10 trainer cards
>the rest evolution cards
Also, the best cards in the game are Nidoking, Beedrill and Gyarados. Nidoking can do 120 damage in 2 turns with Toxic poison, Beedrill can do 50 in one turn with poison inflicted, and Gyarados can do either 50 in one turn, or 40 + paralysis.
Also the type matchups are pretty easy:
>Fire is always weak to Water (except Moltres)
>Electric is always weak to Fighting (except Zapdos)
>Psychic is usually weak to itself
>Grass is usually weak to Fire, unless it's the Poison types like Arbok, in which case they are weak to Psychic
>Fighting is weak to Psychic, unless it's the Ground/Rock mons which are weak to Grass
>Water is always weak to either Electric or Grass
>Colourless mons depend on what their type is in the mainline games, so for example Spearow is weak to Electric, Meowth to Fighting etc.
Resistances vary but you can check the cards in play at any time. Chances are any Pokemon that has the Flying type in a mainline game is resistant to Fighting in this game.
Hope this helps.
>>
>>55835216
If you had good deck luck wouldn't be an issue
>>
>>55835381
To be fair to him, even if you have a solid deck, the game can occasionally fuck you over by giving you constant tails and the opponent constant heads.
>>
Skill issue, this game is easy to beat blindfolded, the AI is terrible and the strategy is ezpz. Focus on just a few Pokemon lines and don't run more than 2 types plus colorless Pokemon; pre-Rainbow energy it's hard to make 3 types work. Split your deck up evenly between Pokemon Energy and Trainers, and never have more evolved Pokemon than their basic forms. Stick to 3-4 basic, 2-3 stage 1, and 1-2 stage 2. Have plenty of cards in your deck to trade cards you don't need for things you need like Bill, Professor Oak, Energy Search/Retrieval, Computer Search, etc.

>>55835344
>Also, the best cards in the game are Nidoking, Beedrill and Gyarados

This is not true at all, Nidoking is mid, Beedrill is garbage, Gyarados is good though. The actual best Pokemon are Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther, Rattatta, Wigglywuff, Mewtwo, Kadabra, Magmar, Chansey, Alakazam, basically in this era of Pokemon the main decks were beatdown or stall based.
>>
>>55836073
>Hitmonchan
Nope, Fighting types are the weakest in the game due to the number of cards that resist them, also 70hp is good for a basic mon but you need to be aiming for evolution cards because those healf status conditions and provide more attack power for less energy cards
>Electabuzz
Same issue as Hitmonchan, can't evolve so stuck at 70hp, also damages itself if you get tails
>Magmar
Again, can't evolve, max is 70hp but the attacks on that card suck
>Mewtwo
Same as Hitmonchan
>Wigglytuff
Requires full bench to be good
>Raticate
Okay for a 1 stage mon but only 60hp
>Kadabra
50hp, garbage, you need Alakazam
>Chansey
Good stall mon but crap outside of this
>Scyther
Again, can't evolve so unable to upgrade, but is otherwise the best mon you mentioned

You're trying way too hard dude. OP is playing the video game, not IRL card tournaments. Therefore evolved mons are always better, and Nidoking, Beedrill and Gyarados are the highest reward for the lowest effort.
>>
>>55836191
>You're trying way too hard dude. OP is playing the video game, not IRL card tournaments.
The same strats work in both, I've played both this game and the second game more times than I can count.

>Nope, Fighting types are the weakest in the game due to the number of cards that resist them,
The Pokemon that are most often fighting resistant are almost always weak to lightning or grass so run an Electabuzz or Scyther. There's a reason beatdown decks were constructed the way they were.

>can't evolve so stuck at 70hp, also damages itself if you get tails
Doesn't need to evolve, it's better than most evolved Pokemon and 10 recoil damage is neglible, this thing will knock out a lot of basic Pokemon in just one or two hits.

>but the attacks on that card suck
Poison and Smokescreen together are *incredibly* annoying.

>Same as Hitmonchan
Mewtwo can do 40 damage on turn two with no downsides

>Requires full bench to be good
So fucking easy if you run enough basic Pokemon

>Okay for a 1 stage mon but only 60hp
No, I said Ratatta not Raticate. It's a good utility monster. Ratatta is a free reusable Switch that can attack. Raticate actually is a big downgrade.

>50hp, garbage, you need Alakazam
Super Psy is insanely powerful at 50 damage, Alakazam is good but only in Damage Swap decks.

>Again, can't evolve so unable to upgrade, but is otherwise the best mon you mentioned
Doesn't need to; 30 damage on turn 2, fighting resistance, 70 HP, can be used in literally any deck, no retreat. Basically Ratatta but much beefier.

>Therefore evolved mons are always better
Literally not true because every evolution costs you a turn and many evolutions aren't worth the time. Nidoking and Beedrill both require you to sit through two painful stages that are complete garbage, Gyarados requires you to sit through Magikarp which is a sitting duck with zero good attacks. It's good but Dewgong and Articuno can do it better.
>>
>>55835216
I rape at this game and it's amazing with god tier soundtrack
>>
>>55835216
it's awesome though, great soundtrack and it's easy to get cards
minimise the number and diversity of pokemon lines in your deck (especially stage 1 and 2 lines, basics are ok) compared to trainers and energies, trainers are absolutely op because you can use as many as you like per turn
also there's no penalty from reshuffling because you had no basic pokemon on the field
my favourite deck is rain dance, squirtle x4, blastoise x4, pokemon breeder x4 etc. but do the wave decks and haymaker decks are good too
>>
>>55836265
>No, I said Ratatta
Okay, now I know you're being a hipster tryhard. Rattata only has 30hp and is the literal definition of a sitting duck
>Magikarp which is a sitting duck
You just said it yourself here, 30hp mons should always be avoided unless they can evolve into something good like Gyarados can. There are several mons that can do 30hp damage in 1 turn, so Rattata is actually one of the worst mons you can have out other than Diglett.
>Dewgong and Articuno can do it better (than Gyarados
Nope, both have lower hp, Dewgong has no resistances and Articuno trading 30hp for 1 less retreat cost is not as good. Also Articuno requires an extra energy card to deal 50 damage where Gyarados can deal it with only 3.
>So fucking easy if you run enough basic Pokemon
No, I wont flood my dex with useless low hp shitmons, I will have the normal amount and beat you + the game with the superior evolution cards, thanks.
>>
>>55836265
>evolution costs you a turn
No it doesn't, you can attack the same turn that you evolve.
>>
>>55836871
>Okay, now I know you're being a hipster tryhard. Rattata only has 30hp and is the literal definition of a sitting duck
I put Ratatta in most of my decks for exactly the situation of not knowing what my opponent is going to put out first. If I win the coin flip I can immediately retreat into whatever I think is appropriate once I see their lead Pokemon. And if I think I can get an attack off without getting hit then I'll do that.

>Rattata is actually one of the worst mons you can have out other than Diglett.
Diglett is great in very specific decks, lightning resistance is a huge help against Isaac, I like it a lot.

>Nope, both have lower hp,
Seel has double the HP of Magikarp though which means it's infinitely more likely to survive to be a Dewgong at all. Yeah it doesn't have resistance but I still think it's good. Articuno has less HP but also no weakness which is a huge strength and it also has a fighting resistance. It also has a chance of bench damage. Like I said I don't hate Gyarados it's just harder to get out before Rocket Magikarp existed

>No, I wont flood my dex with useless low hp shitmons,
Literally there's so many good basic Pokemon they don't need to be shitmons

>I will have the normal amount and beat you + the game with the superior evolution cards
Okay, sure, I will wipe you Weedles and Nidoran Ms out with Magmar and Mewtwo in two turns but sure have fun.

>No it doesn't, you can attack the same turn that you evolve.
Let me rephrase that, sorry, you can only evolve one stage a turn is what I meant. Beedrill takes two turns to get out unless your'e running Breeder and if you're going to that effort you might as well be running Venusaur or Blastoise.
>>
>>55836913
>I will wipe you Weedles and Nidoran Ms out with Magmar and Mewtwo in two turns
>Seel has double the HP of Magikarp though which means it's infinitely more likely to survive to be a Dewgong at all
The problem here is that you're assuming I don't have any stallmons in my deck. I do. The trick is to keep Magikarp, Nidoran and Weedle on the bench until you get the evolution and energy cards required. Then swap the stallmon with your 100hp Gyarados/90hp Nidoking
>If I win the coin flip I can immediately retreat (Rattata)
Two things there, first there is no guarantee of this so you're taking a huge gamble, better to use a stallmon; second if you want to do this you should be using Scyther, Spearow or Doduo so you have the Fighting resistance ready.
>>
>>55835420
If you have a good Deck, there are NO coin flips.

If you want the rundown, here's the whole thing explained by a 3 time world champion:

https://jklaczpokemon.com/1999-base-fossil/
>>
ost is fire though
>>
>>55836939
>The trick is to keep Magikarp, Nidoran and Weedle on the bench
4x Gust of Wind

>until you get the evolution and energy cards required
4x Energy Removal

>first there is no guarantee of this so you're taking a huge gamble
The in game AI is retarded so I'm not too worried

>second if you want to do this you should be using Scyther, Spearow or Doduo
Scyther yes, Spearow ehhhh, Doduo no, it's got 50 HP but too much energy for possibly 0 damage.
>>
>>55836964
>4x Gust of Wind
>4x Energy Removal
Wow, you're wasting 8 entire Trainer cards on this? L M A O
Oh btw
>4x Pokemon Breeder
Whoops, looks like I just max evolved Nidoking and Weedle in 1 turn. Next turn one of them will have enough energy cards to attack and be swapped to active and deal 60 damage in one round
>AI is retarded
That was literally my point in the first post - Nidoking's double poison makes the AI freak out and swap their active Pokemon, but their new active Pokemon doesn't have energy cards attached/is unprepared. If you'd used Nidoking in game rather than listening to YouTubers and blog posters (>>55836952), you would know that.
>Doduo might not do any damage
Exactly, it's a stallmon.
>>
>>55836990
>Wow, you're wasting 8 entire Trainer cards on this?
Well yeah there's literally never a bad time to draw one and you can almost always use them to good effect, same with Bill.

>Whoops, looks like I just max evolved Nidoking and Weedle in 1 turn.
Legitimately one of the worst uses of Breeder lmfao

>Next turn one of them will have enough energy cards to attack
Wow you played 3 energy in one turn?? Did you also evolve a Venusaur?

>Nidoking's double poison makes the AI freak out and swap their active Pokemon
Toxic is kinda good I guess but it's just not worth the effort of evolving Nidoking.

>If you'd used Nidoking in game rather than listening to YouTubers and blog posters
Zoomer sit your ass down I bought this game at launch before YouTube was even a thing.

>Exactly, it's a stallmon.
It's a bad one, what kind of stallmon can be taken out by a turn 2 Electabuzz? Chansey is a stallmon, Kangaskhan is a stallmon, Lickitung is a stallmon that can deal damage and paralyze for just one energy. Okay, none of those have free retreat but they *do* stall better.
>>
>>55837047
>Toxic is kinda good
Exactly. I accept your concession.
>there's literally never a bad time to draw (energy removal)
Energy Removal is completely useless against my deck with 24 energy cards in it. Again you didn't read my first post.
>I bought this game at launch
So did I. It's very clear that you are just copying the simpleton strats you have heard about online. I'm using strats that have always worked for me for the past 25 years.
>what kind of stallmon can be taken out by a turn 2 Electabuzz?
Dude, are you even keeping up with this conversation? The whole point of Doduo is that it has 0 retreat cost, which is literally what we were talking about - an easy swap mon that is better than Rattata. If I see Electabuzz, I swap my Doduo out for something better. How in the living fuck can you shill for Rattata in this way but then call Doduo a bad mon? You're contradicting yourself lmao
>>
>>55837110
>Energy Removal is completely useless against my deck with 24 energy cards in it.
It's not completely useless because it forces you to reattach one. Also lol I can throw in some Super Energy Removal if you'd like.

>It's very clear that you are just copying the simpleton strats you have heard about online.
Simpleton strats like using cards and building decks that people won real life tournaments with which you called me a try hard for LOL but okay. Sorry I should be using cards like Beedrill which are stage 2s and take three energy to potentially do 0 damage lol. Any attack that has an x after the number is just complete jank.

>Dude, are you even keeping up with this conversation? The whole point of Doduo is that it has 0 retreat cost, which is literally what we were talking about - an easy swap mon that is better than Rattata.
I'm the one confusing the conversation? You can't even decide if you want to use it as a stall mon or a swap mon. Protip, those are not the same thing/
>>
>>55835216
Pick Squirtle and Friends, build a deck around Blastoise, beat the game.
Alternatively, pick Bulbasaur and Friends, build a energy transfer jank build
Lastly, you can just build a generic Haymaker team where you just rape the enemy with low investment basics.
>>
>>55835420
Playing on Switch have taught me that the coin flips are preset. Thanks to the Switch rewind, I ended up learning that if you get tails, it will always be tails. I did this as a test to see how true was the rng. If I was to use the Pokeball card and get tail and then rewind to see if I can get head, it won't change and it will still be tails and this also applied to other cards. If I got tails on the pokeball card and rewind to use a different card or attack that also uses the coin flip, it will still be tails no matter what you do.

>>55835344
>Nidoking, Beedrill and Gyarados
OP here, and here's the thing, I'm at the last Gym (Science Gym) and I still don't have those card or the cards to help use them. I don't have Nidoking or Beedrill and despite having two Gyarados, I don't have any Magikarps. I'm literally in late game and can't use any of those cards. I even got Dragonite before I got Dragonair and I still don't have Dratini.
>>
I prefer the second game, once you get used to the ai in the first it is nearly impossible to not exploit it to win every single time no matter what your deck is. The cpu in the second game isn't as exploitable but every opponent has more trainer cards on average so it can actually make plays sometimes.
>>
>>55837240
The second game is just better in every way I agree. The graphics are better, more detailed card backgrounds with more colors, a lot of the Japan only vending cards are so much fun and make a lot of Pokemon lines more playable, it's just a longer game overall with more to do. There's little quality of life features like being able to change your coin that are nice too.
>>
>>55835216
I built a deck around Poliwrath and energy removals. Made it so the NPCs couldn't play the game
>>
>>55837176
>I can throw in some Super Energy Removal if you'd like
Now you're costing yourself energy cards
>people won real life tournaments with which you called me a try hard for LOL
First of all, you're going back to real life again. OP is playing the video game, I already explained this to you.
Second, those tournaments with these sets were around for what, 1 or 2 years before new cards were released and everything was overhauled? Not exactly the most conclusive set of data.
>stall mon or a swap mon. Protip, those are not the same thing
We were talking about swap mons, and you know for a fact that we were using the term 'stall' to mean both. I was just using the same language as you but now you're trying to play a terminology game to throw the conversation off, lmao
>>55837234
Nidoking and Beedrill are part of the 'Evolution' booster set I think. Magikarp is in 'Colosseum' booster packs. Keep battling the trainers that give those boosters and you'll get them eventually.
>>
>>55837176
>three energy to potentially do 0 damage
Beedrill's Poison Sting is guaranteed to do 40 damage and can inflict poison if it gets heads, but the 40 damage will always happen. What are you talking about?
>>
>>55837315
>Now you're costing yourself energy cards
The cards I like only usually require 1 or 2 energy to operate so I don't care if two costs me one.

>Second, those tournaments with these sets were around for what, 1 or 2 years before new cards were released and everything was overhauled?
I hate to be the one to tell you this but this a Game Boy game released in that time period with that exact set of cards so those decks do in fact work just fine.

>but now you're trying to play a terminology game to throw the conversation off, lmao
Words mean things and you just want to be fast and loose with them so you can support whatever weasley dipshit argument you're making at the moment and don't have to commit to a point.

>>55837343
Four grass and two evolutions for 40 is *not* impressive, even with the poison, when Venusaur can do 60 for four grass, and I'm talking about Twinneedle which is a shit attack entirely being based solely on coin flips.
>>
I just want to say I like Kanghaskan as a draw engine to begin the game.
>>
>>55837387
>The cards I like only usually require 1 or 2 energy to operate
I also have Blastoise in my deck which allows me to attach as many Water energies to Gyarados as I want per turn.
Energy Removal cards are pretty much proven to be gay and useless, literally wasted slots in your deck.
>Game Boy game released in that time period with that exact set of cards
You missed the point entirely. The point is 1-2 years of the cards being the only cards available is not long enough to assess which cards are actually provably the best in IRL tournaments.
Also the AI in the video game gets lost and confused when I use Nidoking and win everytime, so trying to use the video game as reference just proves me correct.
>RREEEE you got the terminology wrong
My point still stands, Doduo is a more effective card than shitty Rattata that half of the roster can beat in 1 turn lmao
>Venusaur can do 60 for four grass
Venusaur has a 2 retreat cost, Beedrill has 0, also 3 energy cards is better than having to use 4 for 10 less damage.
>I'm talking about Twinneedle
I never use that attack. Only Poison Sting. So it was pointless of you to try and use that as an argument kek
>>
>>55837399
Usually I find with 3-4 Bills and 3 Oaks I rarely run into a situation where I can't get what I need

>>55837415
I also have Blastoise in my deck which allows me to attach as many Water energies to Gyarados as I want per turn.
You have a Blastoise in your deck but you're not actually attacking with it even though it does 60 damage a turn? Lol, and you're dedicating deck space to the Gyarados line when you don't even need it, but sure lecture me on wasting cards.

>ou missed the point entirely. The point is 1-2 years of the cards being the only cards available is not long enough to assess which cards are actually provably the best in IRL tournaments.
Those decks were the best in that era which is what the GB game is based off of therefore it was enough time. It doesn't matter how they do in Rocket and Beyond because the game doesn't cover that.

>Doduo is a more effective card than shitty Rattata that half of the roster can beat in 1 turn lmao
Ratatta can do damage on turn 1 and Doduo can't

>also 3 energy cards is better than having to use 4 for 10 less damage.
You are actually retarded, Beedrill can do 60 damage at MOST for three energy but more often will do 0 or 30. Do you even know the energy cost or damage output of the cards you're shilling?

>I never use that attack. Only Poison Sting
Which costs four energy not three lmao, like I said, and Beedrill does not have Energy Trans either.
>>
File: s-l1600.png (3.48 MB, 1200x1600)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB PNG
>>55837446
>Poison Sting costs four energy not three!!!
I'm ending the conversation with you here because it's clear that you know nothing about the game, haven't done your research and are just trolling at this point. Pic related.
>Ratatta can do damage on turn 1 and Doduo can't
Doduo resists Fighting so it's better by default, protects from the oh-so-amazing Hitmonchan.
But yeah, you're lying about Beedrill, have been lying to the OP throughout the entire thread, and you're STILL trying to shit on Beedrill about Twineedle when no-one is even using that move. Literally strawmanning.
>>
>>55837446
beedrill only needs 3 grass energy for poison sting you tard
>>
File: 44.jpg (82 KB, 450x619)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>55835216
Anon this shit is so easy. I remember I built a deck around pic related and just ran that for the rest of the game, there were some moments of bullshit but nothing worth complaining about
TCG2 was a bit more difficult since they forced you to make new specific decks all the time which was very needed
>>
>>55836073
>>55836191
What an absolute moron
>>
>>55836191
>Calling the Haymaker quartet bad
Lol
>>
>>55837811
>I need someone else to tell me how to play the game
>>
>>55835216
DONT USE LUCK BASED CARDS
I run Water deck with hydropumps on Lapras.
>>
>>55837825
Not unlike mainline pokemon the game is easy enough to play with ridiculously suboptimal builds but at the end of the day the competitive cards are still the most efficient way to win. The fact that you are unable to grasp this is laughable.

But by all means have fun with evolution cards. I too don't run haymaker since with how broken it is it quickly sucks the enjoyment out of the game
>>
>>55835216
Skill issue
>>
>>55836882
But you can't evolve the first turn you play the basic pokemon. God you people are so goddamn stupid.
>>
>>55837807
We are not the same person numbnuts
>>
>>55837300
Why didn't we get the 2nd game outside of japan?
>>
>>55839124
Beats me but it's been fan translated to English and they did a really good job with it
>>
>>55835344
>this entire post
Absolutely devilish
>>
>>55839110
I was referring to the Nidoking/Gyarados/Beedrill tard. It's comical
>>
>>55836073
>no mention of arguably the 3 strongest in blastoise Mr mime and lickitung
>>
>>55839243
Yeah but you quoted me too, I'm on your side

>>55839262
Oh fuck you're right my man I forgot about Mr. Mime, he's great, thank you. Also glad someone else pointed out Rapidash, that dude fucks.
>>
DO DODODO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DOO DOO! DO DO DO DO DO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1714420076870792.jpg (55 KB, 532x609)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>55835216
four bills
four prof oaks
four double colorless enegies
four fours
b a m
>>
>>55835216
Step 1: Use Hitmonchan
Step 2: Win
>>
Every time I play this game, I always end up making more or less the same deck: Blastoise, Hitmonchan, Gengar.
>>
>>55839623
I tend to make a deck of a different type for every club member just to mix things up a little bit but yeah you can honestly steamroll most people very easily with some of the same basic cards.
>>
>>55839594
4 energy removal 4 super energy removal 4 computer searches traders/breeders if you run stage 2s 12-16 energies
>>
>>55839623
I have made every conceivable deck like 4 times. Even running decks weak to opponents the game is still extremely easy once you have literally any draw power
>>
what is with /vp/ being retarded enough to keep arguing with very obvious bait
>>
>pokemon strategy discussion
These games were made for literal children. You're all retards.
>>
>>55839822
And yet...
>>
File: tcgkino.png (198 KB, 660x1150)
198 KB
198 KB PNG
SOVL
>>
File: 26068[1].png (126 KB, 470x570)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>55840250
GB2 sprites were even better
>>
File: tcggirls.png (5 KB, 288x228)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>55840272
false. far more hit and miss, the mono(dual)chrome worked to their advantage and it doesn't help either that a lot of the irl art of the post base/jungle/fossil era is absolute garbage
>>
>>55840293
How can you look at that comparison pic you posted and think the top row looks better? So much more color and detail in the bottom row, way more vibrant and expressive.
>>
File: shitgrafix.png (50 KB, 1198x560)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>55840381
it seems your understanding of art, especially pixel art, is quite limited

im sure you also think gen 5's pixel art is better than gen 2's, with it having so much more color and detail and vibrance and expression... something like that lol
>>
>>55840417
I never played gen 5, I only played gens 1-4 and I like all of them for different reasons.
>>
>>55840381
I like the colour scheme of the top better.
>>
>>55840417
Mod to bring back the god tier original sprite work instead of the abortions when? 2 is better 95% of the time but holy fuck do I hate what they did to some of the art
>>
>>55840417
This is not a fair comparison btw because you're putting the cards from the first game side by side with cards from the vending sets which are not in the first game. Maybe you don't like the vending cards and that's fine but it would be more fair to put sprites of the same cards next to each other.
>>
File: tcg1_2.png (71 KB, 1176x1292)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>55841102
fine, here's your garish patchy bootlegs.

sprites this fucking small shouldn't have these many colors, part of what makes good pixel art good pixel art is the restrained pallet. the combination of so many colors should happen between different sprites(the mix between characters, tilesets, effects, backdrops...) but that's not what these are, cards are a single object and they should be treated as such. the gameboy can't even accommodate this properly because they can't use multiple colors within 8x8 tiles so you often get this mess where the jarring square grid is exposed while in the original everything blends together seamlessly.

and I literally addressed here >>55840293 how a lot of the new card art is just inherently shit, it may not be the game's fault since they have to recreate the real stuff but at the end of the day they are still part of the game so it's pretty stupid not to consider them as part of the game's aesthetics. However at first I started with human character examples precisely to show that it was not entirely an issue with the new cards, the new style is just genuinely worse with a more poorly drawn different anime aesthetic with off proportions. Details like the hands in the 4th and 5th girls here >>55840417 being entirely reused just adds to the cheap factor.
>>
File: tcgplayers.png (9 KB, 772x216)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
player character and the rival recycled from the original game vs the new oc donut steel female player option

they barely even look like part of the same universe. it's jarring as fuck
>>
>>55841345
Every single one of those sprites is a massive improvement desu.
>>
>>55835344
this is fucking awful advice.

YOu need 10ish energy cards, 15-20 Pokemon cards and the Vast bulk of your deck needs to be trainer cards, 4 Oak, 4 Bill, 4 Energy REmoval, Gust of Wind and whatever else you need
>>
File: qualityexpressions.png (5 KB, 150x438)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>55841395
you should drink bleach desu
>>
>>55840417
God I fucking love Tomokazu Komiya's art. It's a crime we never got the Vending series cards
>>
>>55841088
What abortions? The fuck are you on about? Pokemon TCG GB2 has the same cards as the first plus Rocket and Vending.
>>
File: Courtney.png (538 KB, 500x856)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
>>55841345
courtney my beloved... how they massacred my girl
>>
File: 1392268481170.jpg (70 KB, 499x497)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>55835216
What? I always thought this game was fun and fair if not biased towards the player
the sequel is shitty in that regard though
>um were at my house so my cards are immune to their weaknesses
>>
>>55841545
Skill issue, the game is not hard at all even with those restrictions
>>
>>55841550
I just dislike it not being fair, it's still not hard. Yugioh games were unfair not Pokemon
Fuck you Refesh of Destruction
>>
>>55835216
It's a card game where half the mechanics are based on coinflips, of course it's luck based. Just save before fights and reload when you lose.
>>
>>55835216
It's fine to just not like the card game. You don't have to play it just because people who like the card game hype it up. I can see how going into it not knowing the TCG would be confusing and frustrating, especially since it's a version of the game from 25 years ago
>>
tcg? more like ts gay
>>
>>55841448
>10 energy cards
So you can never fucking attack? Lmfao
>4 Oak
That's how you end up with 0 cards in the deck and lose the game
>4 Energy Removal
The most pointless card in the game, if you have 24ish energy cards like me and the NPCs in the game, you never run out, so energy removals are pointless
Your advice is just trying to get OP to lost every single game.
>>
>>55838677
So what? You just wait 1 turn and wreck them with superior evolution cards. God you are so goddamn stupid.
>>
>>55842197
>>55842217
Wasn't sure before but now I'm certain it's bait
>>
File: 41pKUXvldOL[1].jpg (31 KB, 255x350)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>55842197
>if you have 24ish energy cards like me and the NPCs in the game, you never run out, so energy removals are pointless
You never run out except for when I send 12 of your 24 energy cards to the discard pile

>>55842217
>muh evolution cards are always better
Uh huh ok
>>
>>55841353
The girl is just the guy but the hair is longer and turned to a quarter angle, what's the problem
>>
>>55840417
>>55841345
Wait is all the second rows of art from the second game? I never played it because it only came out in Japan?
>>
>>55842234
I'm gonna assume you're the same baiting turd as >>55842197 >>55842217

>>55842241
there's a working fan translation. coming from the person who was criticizing I still think it's worth playing, it's just the "better than the first in every way" type discourse that pisses me off. it's a very different game with it's own pros and cons.
>>
File: 1408051771279.jpg (102 KB, 578x504)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>55842254
Not everyone with a dissenting opinion is samefagging anon
>>
>>55842254
I really genuinely don't see any ways the second game is worse, in particular I just miss so many of the second game's cards when I replay the first.
>>
>>55841545
>>55841545
>>55841618
>>55841606
I don't have a problem with card games in general. I have more of an issue with this game. I just did a deck full of fighting types (ground) and fought the Pikachu girl to get Magikarp and only won because she ran out of cards. Why did she ran out of cards, because I couldn't attack. My Rhydon did nothing the whole game and too no damage just because it resist everything. All of my energy cards were at the very bottom of the deck. That's one of my major issue with this game, the need of energy. I understand the point to make it different from other card games, but this is what kill my joy and make it hard for me to enjoy. So many time I have lost because of that, no energy cards. I still want to enjoy TCG but this game is killing my excitement. Or maybe not since I have heard of Tera Dark Charizard running amok.
>>
>>55842254
>it's bait because he doesn't play the game the same way I do
You are the cancer that is killing this board. Seriously.
>>
>>55842353
What do your trainers look like, where are you getting your draw power from? If you're not running Bill, Professor Oak, Computer Search, and Energy Search you're doing it wrong. Also Diglett and Dugtrio share the same Lightning resistance but Diglett can attack much faster although it has much less HP than Rhyhorn but since you can eat 30 damage from their attacks that doesn't matter as much.
>>
>>55842232
>purposefully cherrypicks the worst evolution card in the game
Yeah dude Cloyster is totally the same as Blastoise and Nidoking.
>>
>>55842377
I do use Bill and Energy Search to help. Also the ground team I was talking about was a throw away team because like I said, I was grinding to get Magikarp. I only have 3 Bill cards and one Prof. Oak. Like I said, my luck is terrible with this game.
>>
File: snorlaxtcg2.png (3 KB, 256x192)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>55842323
*sigh*

>grafix
messy and cheap in part due to the nu card art. the bad style and inferior pixel art of the human portraits rides home the fact that it's not just that tho
search thread for references

>linearity, restrictions
its no longer the chill pick up the game and beat whoever you want however you feel like, it's more of one big linear adventure that gets obnoxious as the constant deck restrictions and special conditions fuck up the flow of the game, its especially jarring that you cant toggle this off after beating an opponent after the 1st time
Its bad enough when they force an energy type but there's for example the colorless gr temple where some guy says you need 4 meowths/dratinis in your deck and since I didn't have them I had to go look up which pack gives those cards and look up who gives that pack so I could go back and grind to finally progress. just let me fucking play ffs.
again, it's not like I could leave that for another time because of the game's linearity, I had to do that to move forward when I should be able to go progress somewhere else and get those missing cards organically in the process

>story
the original game universe feels grounded, its just a little island where people play tcg, now theres a whole new layer of ridiculousness with kidnappings and castles and ghosts and zeppelins with card-stealing beams and whatnot that all gets solved via card duels. It would be a minor complaint because who gives a fuck but the real issue is how much more text and cutscenes that shit forces you to put up with

>nu cards
often not that great and can feel like bloat. not just uglier, it's harder to keep track and memorize what everything does, originally its easy to think of a pokemon and visualize its traits because for the vast majority 1 pkmn = 1 card, now theres so many multiples and it feels arbitrary which mons get more cards and which dont and this is made worse with the stupid dark pokemon gimmick that convolutes things further
>>
>>55842384
Your point is evolving....is le always good, when there's clearly a zillion cases when it's not.
>>
>>55842375
energy removal being "the most pointless card in the game" gave it away. you stretched it too far bud
>>
>>55842417
>constant deck restrictions and special conditions fuck up the flow of the game
Literally the only challenge the game throws at you and it's pretty meager at that even.

>colorless temple
That one is a valid concern though I will grant you that, every time I play through i always need to grind for DCL which is annoying. But that's the only annoying requirement.

>Story
Who gives a shit Pokemon is like Mario the story has never mattered

>nu cards are bad
Hard disagree, there's so many cards that I feel like make entire lines of evolution more platable like vending Bulbasaur and Squirtle and Nidoran M just to name a few examples.
>>
File: tcgcutemap.png (89 KB, 640x576)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
As someone who couldn't afford many cards and didn't have many friends to play against, having a game where you can get the whole collection and battle against a huge roster of opponents was such a god sent.
I fucking love this game.

Sequels is nice too but definitely has it's issues. Like >>55842417 said it feels more like a taxing commitment to just pick up and have fun for a bit knowing you'll have endless walls of """story""" text to skip through and being forced to drastically change your deck every duel in your (linear) path
>>
>>55842466
I don't get it, why do you want the whole collection if you also don't want to change your deck up a lot?
>>
>>55842511
come on now anon. do you really not grasp the difference between doing it whenever(if you want to) at leisure and being constantly forced into specific rules?

no need to get so defensive over the damn game, it's great you love it as much as it seems but if you try to look outside of yourself for a moment hopefully you can comprehend how for some people that format can reasonably feel intrusive and get annoying
>>
>>55842558
>being constantly forced into specific rules?
Guarantee if they didn't have these rules people would just whine the game is too easy and repetitive instead
>>
Tell me about imakuni. Why does he confuse his own pokemon?
>>
>>55842697
Because he is retarded on purpose
>>
>>55837415
>You missed the point entirely. The point is 1-2 years of the cards being the only cards available is not long enough to assess which cards are actually provably the best in IRL tournaments.
There are still people playing and researching this format. It is basically a solved format, stall is king - which is obvious if you read what Energy Removal does.
I understand the point that this is a kid's game with retarded AI. I beat it with a variety of fun decks. But there are objectively best decks in this format and by definition they crush anything else.
>>
>>55842420
>Your point is evolving....is le always good
I never said that actually. I said that the specific evolutions cards I mentioned are the best ones and better than single stage 70hp mons.
But sure, continue twisting my words in order to suck off whatever YouTubers or blogposters tell you are the best cards.
>>
Rock and Science clubs trigger my autism. They could have easily done a colorless club and a rainbow club(where the master requires you to get all the other badges first)
>>
>>55842723
Where do these people play? There are no online games that feature Gen 1 cards and I hardly believe they're using actual retro cards.
>>
>>55842417
This post captures my complaints with the sequel well. Ever since the fan translation was released I realized why this game was never released officially. It's like playing an early romhack of the first game. TCG2 literally feels like the TCG version of Pokemon Brown.
>>
The ost is so fucking good
>>
>>55836191
>Nidoking, Beedrill and Gyarados are the highest reward for the lowest effort.

Stage 2s like Nidoking and Beedrill are literally the highest effort to get out barring Omastar/Kabutops, and Gyarados requires putting one of the worst basic mons in your deck.
>>
>>55842920
>rainbow club
Gay
>>
>>55842766
Lmfao tell me where the YouTuber touched you, where is this giant YouTube community dedicated to an obscure decades old Pokemon side game influencing me?

>>55842969
https://tcgone.net/ maybe?
>>
File: tcg960.png (66 KB, 685x627)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
I won 4800 battles in a row. Only 195 left until I max out the score counter
>>
>>55842232
>pokemon notorious for its incredibly high defense
>50 HP, the lowest of any stage 1 pokemon minus the fossils
What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
File: 42381[1].jpg (49 KB, 323x450)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>55844474
A lot of the cards in the early sets sucked big doodoo which is tragic because some of them are my favorite Pokemon....like Porygon, actually unplayable, worse than a Clefairy Doll, something that can't even attack and has 10 HP.
>>
>>55844274
Also there's many "games" on tabletop simulator.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=Pokemon+Base+Set
>>
>>55844521
I find it hilarious they give it to the science club master

its on theme sure, but thats not a pokemon meant for an elite trainer thats supposed to be challenging
>>
>>55835216
>I hate this game!!
I have the exact opposite opinion, i wish it had become as popular as mainline because it and especially its sequel are two of the best games pokemon has to offer.

>The amount of time of me just having a basic pokemon on my side, waiting for a energy card and get nothing but stage 1 and stage 2 pokemon is infuriating.
build your deck better. the auto-builder is horrible.

>>55835344
>the best cards in the game are Nidoking, Beedrill and Gyarados.
From my experience, you mean blastoise and seaking or kingler.
Have huge draw power and tutors, rare candy into blastoise, blast down 5 water energies, clear the entire enemy team before they can build a board. Kingler is for deck thinning with krabby which has high hp for a basic, and then countering with flail if you're having trouble drawing into blastoise, seaking is just bulky , has free retreat, and has a very cost efficient attack.
>>
>>55844521
>>
>>55844521
Porygon should have had a simple damaging attack and Venomoths pokemon power(that would be called Conversion)
>>
>>55844551
They made his deck better in GB2, he runs Chansey instead, still kind of an odd choice but at least it can do something

>>55844580
>Blastoise
Absolutely

>Seaking
Outclassed by Lapras which has 10 more HP is a basic Pokemon and can cause confusion but does take one more energy to do its maximum damage. Still better though IMO.

>Kingler
Not really worth it

>>55844598
Based, this is a nice redo

>>55844615
Agreed, would have been much more balanced
>>
File: magnemitetcg.png (1 MB, 960x450)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>is the designated kamikazemon when it doesnt even learn selfdestruct/explosion
they must have confused the memo. its the other electric ball line that is meant to explode
>>
>>55844681
This actually gaslight me into thinking Magnemite learns Self-destruct/Explosion in RBY.
>>
>>55844681
There's a lot of weird choices in the TCG. Hypno has Night Shade, even though it cannot learn it - also attacks are regularly mistranslated, so it's not even "Night Shade" in the English version.
>>
>>55837618
>resists Fighting
>80hp
>40 damage + maybe poison
remind me why everyone hates this card again?
>>
File: Holy shit kid RTFC.jpg (258 KB, 1102x1369)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>55835216
>It's even worse when trying to relearn the strength and weakness of every types all over again, especially since this is Gen 1 version of the cards.
Literally just look at the cards.

Also, they're not even majorly different from the games.

Rock types are weak to water or grass.
Water's weak to electric or grass.
Grass and bug are weak to fire.
Poisons are weak to psychic.
Electric's weak to ground.
Normal's weak to fighting.
Fighting's weak to psychic.
Psychic's weak to ghost.
If it's Flying, it's weak to electric and resists ground instead of its normal stuff.

The only weird gen1 only one is dragons resisting psychic, and it's because they were treating it like Normal.
>>
>>55844845
>is stage 2
>requires 3 energy
>only 80HP(for a stage 2 mon)
its all about opportunity cost. things may look good in a vacuum out of context but that's not how the game works. by the time you're halfway into setting up your beedrill the haymaker basics have already completed wrecked your shit up
>>
>>55844845
No-one does. Beedrill is perfectly serviceable. It's just one sperg in this thread who watched one Ruby Retro video and now thinks he's an expert.
>>
>>55844845
Fighting resist, 70+ HP, 40 damage, and poison are all things basic Pokemon can do that's why. Also quit samefagging >>55844906

>>55844896
Nooo according to Beedrillfag Haymarker is WORTHLESS and BAD and no one plays it according to him because he's shadowboxing with nonexistent YouTubers
>>
>>55844598
is this official?
>>
File: 84422[1].jpg (132 KB, 600x825)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>55845031
No

But this is
>>
>>55844633
>Outclassed by Lapras which has 10 more HP is a basic Pokemon and can cause confusion but does take one more energy to do its maximum damage. Still better though IMO.
Except Lapras has a whopping 2 retreat cost, and you're only going to use the confuse on turn 2, turn 1 and 3 are watergun. 10+10&confuse+30= 50, +20 and a lost turn IF they lose the coinflip. 10+30+30= guaranteed 70, which kills most things.
10 extra health and one chance to confuse doesn't make up for the inefficiency. Furthermore, running 4 less pokemon means I have less things to use Trader on to get where I need.

As for kingler, don't knock it til you try it. Between energy searches and call for family I'm running a 53 card deck, even before taking into account my 4 copies of oak, 4 copies of bill, 4 copies of trader, computer search and itemfinder.

That said, Kingler is nearly always a sacrificial lead when I use it. It's purpose is to get me to a fully loaded Blastoise as fast as possible while soaking hits, kick something's teeth in for one energy while on its last legs, then get out of the way for Blastoise to sweep. It's purely there to solve "what happens if I only draw like 2 energy or only one of the cards to evolve into Blastoise by turn 3, and none of the cards that let me get to whichever of those I'm missing" not win games directly.
>>
I haven't played this in ages. Some of my old GBC games have a dead battery, will this one still have save ability?
>>
>>55845379
a lot of people have been reporting dead batteries. Emulation is way better anyway since you can speed up coin tosses, deck shuffling and drawing, etc
>>
>>55845352
>Furthermore, running 4 less pokemon means I have less things to use Trader on to get where I need.
So just run less Trader? It frees up room for other trainers, I'm not seeing the downside. Trader isn't suited for every deck.

>As for kingler, don't knock it til you try it.
40 for 3 in a stage 1 and 60 HP is just really lackluster, it's not terrible but other cards do it better. Dewgong comes to mind.
>>
>>55845393
shit, I don't know the first thing about emulations
>>
>>55845410
anon pls, are you 12? or a woman? its fucking gameboy not the sega saturn. you could be playing the game in 2 minutes from now using google
>>
>>55845410
It's so easy, download a good emulator like Gambatte then download the ROM then open the rom in the emulator, it's drop dead stupid
>>
>>55845410
Do you want to play on phone or computer or hacked 3DS?
I can help with all 3.

Or do you have Nintendo Switch Online. It's a free virtual Gameboy title if you do, though if you want to play the sequel you'll need a translation patch and emulator, they never localized it.
>>
>>55842969
>There are no online games that feature Gen 1 cards and I hardly believe they're using actual retro cards.
No OFFICIAL sure. If you know fucking anything you would know you are wrong. Tons and tons of tabletop sims people play base set-fossil on
>>
>>55837415
>The point is 1-2 years of the cards being the only cards available is not long enough to assess which cards are actually provably the best in IRL tournaments
If you legitimately believe this you are beyond retarded. I am still in the "your a troll" camp but a troll wouldn't tip their hand that much
>>
>>55845401
>So just run less Trader?
Why the hell would I remove a tutor effect from my deck at any point? That would mean I need to draw into even more cards to get everything I need into hand.

>Trader isn't suited for every deck.
I'm not playing every deck, I'm playing raindance turbo.

>40 for 3
Why are you using crabhammer under any circumstances? By the time you can get 3 energy on a Kingler it's almost certainly already taken 40 damage, and that means 3 less energy to set up your benched Blastoise.
>>
>>55844845
>energy removals u
Energy removal is format defining. The only deck that doesn't give a rats ass about it that evolves is raindance
>>
>>55845650
Well, 2 less energy, you still usually want 1 for call for family and flail.
>>
On NSO this has Card Pop enabled right?
>>
>>55845650
>I'm not playing every deck, I'm playing raindance turbo.
You're such a fucking retard then, Seaking and Kingler don't belong in a Rain Dance deck.

>Why are you using crabhammer under any circumstances?
You're seriously running Kingler for Flail? Do you actually have brain damage?
>>
>>55845669
no
>>
>>55845672
I'm running kingler as a sacrificial setup lead for when I don't draw into full Blastoise by turn 2 and sweep.
Getting in about 70-80 damage with flail due to whatever 10-30 chip damage their basic does each turn while I stall and thin my deck is just a hilarious delicious bonus.

>Seaking and Kingler don't belong in a Rain Dance deck.
Because of the decks specific needs, Kingler performs better than seaking despite sealing otherwise being more efficient, which is why I made the switch, but in both cases the results speak for themselves.
>>
>>55845650
You are arguing with probably one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen in a tcg thread. This is the same guy claiming energy removal is bad
>>
guys stop enabling this idiotic discussion. they said at some point energy removals are the most useless cards in the game. its just a troll thinking its fun pretending to be a moron
>>
>>55845741
>>55845750
Based knower's. Do not engage with brain dead faggots
>>
>>55845435
>>55845459
>>55845577
I was thinking of something else, sorry/thanks. Brain isn't working today.
>>
>>55845741
I'm not the anti Energy Removal guy you're getting your anons mixed up
>>
>>55845750
imagine being the pokemon form of low-t
>>
>>55845998
>I swear Im not the troll that got too obvious! Trust me bro please keep enabling me!
>>
>>55846023
Bruh you're as retarded as them then I'm >>55836073
>>
>>55835216
I hate this one. Never understood the stupid semi-turn-based Harvest-Moon-like mechanics
>>
>>55846075
sweaty its called a rogue-like
>>
>>55845672
Actually, there's one more reason I'm not running the traditional Lapras for raindance. As aforementioned I can't really afford to retreat it, but at the same time it dies too slowly. The whole point of Turbo is to kill the opponent before they get a chance to set up, and never give them a chance to stabilize.
Kingler lasts 2, maybe 3 turns tops and pretty reliably kamikaze's whatever is in front of it with basically no energy investment. Then it's Blastoise's turn.

Lapras lasts 3-5 turns, maybe even longer if it's preventing attacks with confusion, drawing the game out longer, giving the opponent even more time to fill out their bench (meaning Blastoise has to survive longer and make more attacks in order to kill them all), attach energies to benched Mon (more damage to try and stop Blastoise rampage with a revenge kill) and evolve (more HP to chew through meaning more turns he needs to survive, AND stronger attacks he has to survive).

Kingler summons a Krabby, 2 krabbys if they didn't attack turn 1, then either kills what's in front of it and promptly dies to its replacement, or else dies to something that's had an evolution or ton of energy attachments while leaving it ready to die to a stiff breeze, opponent is now down 2-3 energy, I'm down 1 and up like 6 because of rain dance, and unless they draw into any more basics to stall for time or they can cheat out enough value onto their bench to kill a completely fresh Blastoise, I win in 2-3 turns.
>>
>>55846075
>Never understood the stupid semi-turn-based Harvest-Moon-like mechanics
That is the worst description of a mystery dungeon game I have ever heard
>>
>>55846078
I get the roguelike part, but not the paced grid movement and the need to eat to not pass out, what's even the point of the latter?
>>
>>55846121
Resource management. Also mystery dungeon is its own subgenre
>>
File: 1714085842180129.jpg (33 KB, 500x375)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>55846075
>semi-turn-based Harvest-Moon-like mechanics
>>
File: 1302648103797.jpg (33 KB, 580x435)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>55846075
>>
>>55846101
>>55846213
>>55846218
How would you describe it then? Because to me it's like a constant mining section from Harvest Moon except you have to move in a grid but only one step at a time, and the combat is just pressing forward like a retard or trying to avoid attacks by moving into another square but it's pointless because the enemy chases you and by the time you want to press forward against it again it's already attacking you, I don't get it.

Seriously I want to like it because of pokemom but I can't.
>>
>>55846089
Switch and Scoop Up are a thing though, Switch is one of my most used trainers actually.
>>
>>55846288
Like a fucking dungeon crawler you 14 year old. Every now and then I forget like 10% of pokefags only play pokemon games and are embarrassingly ignorant of everything else
>>
>>55846075
This post is giving off big Boss Baby vibes
>>
>>55846324
Okay then, can you name another roguelike or dungeon crawler that has such a clumsy way to navigate the stage like Mystery Dungeon does?

>>55846330
I don't know, I don't think that not understanding the game of your childhood makes me a baby
>>
>>55846370
>I don't know, I don't think that not understanding the game of your childhood makes me a baby
It is a meme ya dip. "Guy who has only seen boss baby says another movie has boss baby vibes"
>>
>>55846370
>Okay then, can you name another roguelike or dungeon crawler that has such a clumsy way to navigate the stage like Mystery Dungeon does?
I don't think you realize how popular the mystery dungeon style is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mystery_Dungeon_video_games
Note these are just the official ones. There are dozens probably hundreds that ape the style. About the last thing I would call mystery dungeon is "clunky". At least more modern ones. The ancient ones are probably a mess but most SNES titles were
>>
>>55846424
>I don't think you realize how popular the mystery dungeon style is
I only know the SNES and the Pokemon ones, and Crypt of the Necrodancer if it counts but I can get a grip on that last one. And as I said, I wanted to play through the PMD games because I like pokemon and I've heard that the DS ones have the most "muh feelings" plot on any pokemon game ever but get filtered by the mechanics. Not saying it's objectively bad or anything but my brain doesn't compute.
>>
>>55846482
Fair enough. I am old and played an assload of first person dungeon crawlers which are actual clunky shit so something like mystery dungeon runs buttery smooth as far as I am concerned
>>
File: wvofy09w4mxb1.jpg (111 KB, 1080x1350)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>55846075
?
>>
Honestly the easiest way to grind new cards was to beat the tar out of the Electric club with a Dugtrio deck. Run 4x gamblers and use them when you have 9+ cards in hand so even if they have fighting resists you just stall them out. This strategy works pretty well against the zapdos dude too iirc.
>>
>>55846658
The easiest evolutions pack is the grass gym girl in the left side of the main room. Colosseum the one on the right. Fire decks are high damage which will result in OHKOs turn two for super fast duels. I don't remember the best place for lab/mystery but I think they are both in the science gym. I really should remember. I have grinded to 100% 4 or 5 times
>>
I just remember how easy it was to cheat by just turning off/rejoining matches
>>
>>55846831
imagine needing to do this on such an easy game
>>
>>55846658
You don't even need to stall them you can beat the Lightning club almost singlehandedly with a Diglett
>>
>>55842466
>As someone who couldn't afford many cards and didn't have many friends to play against, having a game where you can get the whole collection and battle against a huge roster of opponents was such a god sent.
this. all the kids at school just collected cards nobody even knew the rules. I learned how to play through this game
>>
>>55847243
the modern card games are just gacha
I wish there would be a fan game for all the new pokemon
>>
>>55847292
>all the new pokemon
>>
>>55837300
>quality of life features like being able to change your coin
you dont know what quality of life is

and no the second game is not fucking 'better in every way'
>>
>>55847447
Cry harder nostalgiafag
>>
>>55847456
quality of life changes are tweaks that add convenience/improve usability. Ex: running shoes allowing you to move faster, the TMs showing the move they provide in the menus without having to boot them, not having to manually change storage boxes in the PC are examples of quality of life improvements firered and leafgreen have over red and blue.
An inconsequential aesthetic change does not qualify as a quality of life improvement.

tldr: you're a moron
>>
>>55847496
Tell me how the second game isn't better
>>
>>55847512
refer to >>55842417 >>55842466 >>55842558
>>
>>55847522
Bad arguments
>>
>>55846075
It's a dungeon crawler. Dungeon is literally even in the name.
You ever play Etrian Odyssey? Or Wizardry? Ultima? Megami Tensei? Legend of Grimrock?

>>55846078
No permadeath. Not a rogue-like.
>>55846121
You might be surprised to know that dungeon crawling video games grew from the tabletop game Dungeons and Dragons by TSR inc, in which resource management to make sure you were able to continue delving deeper was a major facet of play.
>>
>>55846370
>can you name another roguelike or dungeon crawler that has such a clumsy way to navigate the stage like Mystery Dungeon does?
For obvious starters, Mystery Dungeon. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is technically a crossover title.
>>
File: 360.png (97 KB, 475x475)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>55847310
You don't like this lil nigga?

You got no fuckin soul bud
>>
>>55847447
>no the second game is not fucking 'better in every way'
Name one way it's not
>>
>>55847751
its clear you didnt read the fucking thread
>>
>>55847756
Nobody has raised a valid criticism yet
>>
>>55847768
since half this thread is bait I'll choose to believe you're not this fucking daft and are just baiting to keep it going
>>
>>55842417
Of course the TEAM ROCKET gyms cheat with restrictions. That's kino as fuck, and just like in GSC, the second region is made to be an increased challenge. Now you can't just build one good deck and hammer nails, you have to actually know the game as a whole and what you can do with it. You just sound like a little netdecking bitch who doesn't like problem-solving.
>>
>>55845022
Remember that time you said Beedrill needs 4 energy for Poison Sting. Lmfao. Shows how much Hitmoncucks know about the game.
>>
>>55839124
>>55839209
Because there was a prevailing belief that pokemon was flash in the pan outside of Japan and GSC was going to flop in the west.
>>
File: 360[1].png (382 KB, 360x560)
382 KB
382 KB PNG
>>55847780
I genuinely do not believe the second game has a single flaw and enjoy playing it infinitely more.

>>55847802
Oh no I got ONE thing wrong
>>
>>55841345
All of the cards on right look better and closer to the cards themselves.

I'll admit two of those gym leaders are slightly worse.
>>
>>55835216
I like yugioh better
>>
>>55839124
Because the Johto games had already been released and by the time TCG2 would be localised, Crystal would be released as well - the audience would be expecting a full cast of Johto cards.
When I saw the screenshots of the game in a magazine, I remember being super excited to play a Johto version of the game. Then when I played the fan translation a decade later, I was disappointed that there were basically none. >>55847768
>a lot of the card art looks like shit, see >>55840417
>NPCs forcing you to use decks with 4 Magikarps in etc.
>NPCs pretending that resistances and weaknesses don't count in their house
>linear game
I liked the 2nd game, but the 1st game gives more freedom, which is objectively better.
>>
>>55847864
>subjective
>literally the game needs some kind of challenge
>most Pokemon games are linear to some extent
>>
>>55847878
>subjective
Sure it is
>literally the game needs some kind of challenge
First game is enough of a challenge the first time when you don't know all the cards. Once you know all the cards inside and out, TCG2 is exploitable as well.
>most Pokemon games are linear to some extent
Except for TCG1 which is literally the game we're talking about, lmfao
>>
File: Voltorb.png (33 KB, 538x196)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>55847878
>subjective
>>
>>55836990
>calling the cards that control the flow of the game a waste
Please play the game before spewing opinions.
>>
>>55847889
Not liking the vending cards is subjective yes
>>
>>55844598
I had to look this card up cause the 3D art made me assume it was Kinebuchi, so I thought the Imakuni credit was some in joke, didn't know he was an illustrator.
>>
>>55847889
https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Voltorb_(Vending_S2)

It's the spitting image of the real card. The problem is not the game's pixel art.
>>
File: killitwithfire.png (3 KB, 192x144)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>55848102
>ugly part of the game is based on something ugly so that makes it okay!
lmao. fuck off, its still part of the game, it still adds an unpleasant aesthetic to the game
>>
>>55835344
>>make sure there's 24 energy cards in your deck
mtg player detected
>>
>>55848124
>wahhh i hate having more card variety
>>
>>55846075
>Harvest-Moon-like mechanics
What the fuck?
>>
>>55848124
ur a fuckin loser dweeb lmfao
>>
>>55848200
For real, imagine hating cards with as much soul as this, couldn't be me
>>
File: 1713830335256974.gif (20 KB, 150x160)
20 KB
20 KB GIF
>this fucking thread
>>
Gee, I bought and played a trading card game and now I am mad because of inherent traits of trading card games. How could this happen to me?
>>
>>55848124
Based, imagine being an apologist for this dogshit pixel art.
>>
>>55848420
>bought
>>
>>55848391
I know right?
>NO! You MUST play this fun game the EXACT way I tell you too!!
>NO! You are NOT allowed to use ANY fun evolution cards
>you can ONLY use basic stage mons
>ONLY ELECTABUZZ HITMONCHAN AND FARFETCH'D ARE ALLOWED IN YOUR DECK
>wtf why aren't there 40 trainer cards in your deck??????? that is NOT OPTIMAL
>NOOOO WHY ARE YOU PLAYING TCG1 INSTEAD OF TCG2????? RRREEEEEEEEEEEE
The autism here is like a brick wall.
>>
>>55840417
The neck on the brown swimmer is hilarious. The nurse looks like the cry laughing emoji
>>
>>55848512
>ELECTABUZZ HITMONCHAN AND FARFETCH'D
Uhh I think the last one was scyther
>>
>>55840417
>gen 5's pixel art
Hijacking your post to bash on gen 5's pixel art. Its beyond bad, every frame is just rotating the original frame or parts of it to make it seem like its moving instead of an actual animation (retards will claim its okay because its tweening, but it has nothing to do with that). It looks horrible because you can't rotate pixels effectively while keeping the same amount of colors, it creates noise and bricking. I don't know if creatures inc. did the sprites for gen 5 or just subcontracted them but its the worst quality they have produced so far.
>>
>>55835216
Welcome to TCGs. Skill is a myth.
>>
I just remembered Imakuni for the first time in a decade
>>
>>55848512
You gave shit advice to someone who was struggling at the game and then spent 200 posts being salty and crying about it because people kept correcting your advice....no one cares if you wanna run a Beedrill deck but if you act like Beedrill is the BEST CARD EVAR PRINTED then yeah a lot of people are gonna call you a retard what do you expect? Also you don't need to run more than like 18-20 trainers there's not that many useful ones and many are only useful in certain deck types.
>>
File: monacomparison.png (561 KB, 670x448)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
>>55847920
>is subjective yes
>>
>>55848902
Farftech'd isn't terrible though as an aside, certainly not the worst suggestion in this thread considering that fucking Doduo has been brought up, Not as good as Scyther but definitely better than Doduo in any case at least. Not that that's hard.

>>55849636
Wow what a good faith and totally fair comparison posting a masterpiece painting next to a low effort child's doodle and saying that's the same as two different styles of relatively similar pixel art, your parents definitely did not feed you paint chips
>>
Why does the sequel has worse card art? Couldn't they just copypasted the original art since its on the same engine?
>>
File: snorlaxvending.png (1.75 MB, 817x1091)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB PNG
>>55849645
>literally a child's drawing that won a contest
>>
>>55849635
>bill at 4
>oak at 4
>energy removal at 4
>gust of win at 2-4 lets say 2
>computer search at 4
>traders breeders at 2-4 depending on deck
we are already up to 20 but yeah
>>
File: CaterpieVendingS1[1].jpg (89 KB, 350x495)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>55849677
Plenty of cards that have normal art you're just being picky
>>
>>55849710
>Computer Search at 4
Lmao too many
>Traders AND Breeders at 2-4
Way too fucking many unless you're running Rain Dance or Venusaur, if you're running Haymaker you don't need any of these, you'd use Pluspower instead. A good example of how you don't need to use literally every trainer like a dumbfuck.
>>
File: onixtcg.png (33 KB, 512x192)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>55849650
>Couldn't they just copypasted the original art since its on the same engine?
they did but colorized them to fit the new stuff. while in the original the entire card is composed of the same 2 real color shades plus an off-white and off-black, in the sequel they treat every 8x8 tile individually to cram in more color but in each of those squares the gameboy can't have all those colors so the end result is a visible 8x8 grid with with seemingly misplaced colors like this onix face being half green like the background

another issue is that because the sprites are so small the artists highlight the pokemon with a black outline that is outlined by white(despite this not always being part of the actual irl art). a lot of the new cards have an inherently horrendous style but this is made worse in the sprites because that style is heavily reliant on bold color blocking where there are no outlines. if you for example look at the nuvoltorb >>55847889 >>55848102 and nusnorlax >>55849677 compared to the real cards they have the black and white outlines that just doesn't work with the style, so the little artistic merit that type of art had in the first place gets completely lost in translation.

>>55849757
>posts a card that isn't even included in the game
>>
>>55849764
>Lmao too many
I have never once said "wow I wish I didn't have computer search in hand"
>Way too fucking many unless you're running Rain Dance or Venusaur, if you're running Haymaker you don't need any of these, you'd use Pluspower instead
Obviously. Evolution deck really need the seavh power and basic stacking/make it wave hit a ton of breakpoints with plus power.
>>
>>55849862
>make it wave
Do not wave excuse me
>>
>>55849877
Aieee I give up
>>
File: s-l1600[1].png (3.28 MB, 1319x1451)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB PNG
>>55849846
Okay, fine, have an Intro Pack Bulbasaur

>>55849862
I rarely say wow I wish I had a Computer Search desu I usually include like one if any.

>>55849883
Lol phoneposter
>>
>>55849900
>I rarely want to get exactly what I need whenever I want
I mean you do you
>>
File: bulbasquare.png (7 KB, 512x384)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>55849900
lmao the harsh blue squares. thanks for reinforcing how the extra color was a huge mistake
>>
>>55849900
>tcg 2 shill is anti computer search
weird considering all the busted as fuck trainers 2 added
>>
>>55849923
2 is up to team rocket right? Does it have the hand rip to 1 tech?
>>
>>55849912
I'm rarely in a situation where I don't
>>
>>55849913
but anon more color = gooder
>>
File: file.png (8 KB, 352x107)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>55849928
holy shit it does. GB2 confirmed for shit
>>
>>55849635
>act like Beedrill is the BEST CARD EVAR PRINTED
Never said that.
>spent 200 posts
I have like 10 posts in the thread, most of them at the start, meanwhile you have been here for the entire thread shitting on people that don't like TCG2. You are the one with the 200 post count lmao
Also, notice how this guy >>55849710 tries to give his take on the discussion and you immediately call him a dumbfuck and berate him like an autistic manchild.
Also quick reminder, Beedrill only needs 3 energy cards for Poison Sting.
>>
>>55850004
3 energy too many :^) btw I'm not the only one saying Beedrill is shit re-read the thread
>>
>>55850019
>btw look at all this samefagging I've been doing
>>
File: bulbadecolored.png (5 KB, 256x192)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>55849944
riiiiight

meanwhile here's a mockup of how it could look in the tcg1 style. clean, clear, beautiful.
>>
>>55850027
C'mon I'm not *that* autistic give me some credit
>>
>>55849964
Reminder the majority of the infamous "Wigglytuff Trapper" is legal in 2. The only cards it doesn't have that would be nice is the stadiums and erika
>>
>>55850036
whats that?
>>
File: file.png (810 KB, 1104x784)
810 KB
810 KB PNG
>>55850041
This gay shit. If you go first you buttfuck them and rip their entire hand. At least since this doesn't have the gym set they don't have chaos gym so you can get lucky with a professor oak to get back in the game
>>
>>55850032
Monochrome bad. More colors even if they are colored like a 2 year old good
>>
>>55850032
this completely misses the point of the razor leaf blades being thrown
>>
>>55850291
Which you would never guess from the art they used either
>>
File: bulbafixed.png (479 KB, 1000x400)
479 KB
479 KB PNG
>>55850291
oh noes what a nightmare! how could that possibly be fixed without the extra colors!?

we totally lost monochrome bros :(
>>
File: IMG_20240507_133608.jpg (440 KB, 649x1304)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>55848512
>wtf why aren't there 40 trainer cards in your deck??????? that is NOT OPTIMAL
I mean that ones actually legitimate. You're gonna have a horrible time with mana flood/mana screw and evolution flood/evolution screw if you don't run mostly card acquisition and restabilization.

Playing pre-SV structure decks is absolute cancer, the fact that PTCGO basically forced you into doing it for the first like 80 matches in order to get starter packs honestly grinds my gears, it's such a luck-based format that basically amounts to who draws all 9 pieces of their fucking combo before the other guy, and the majority of the time the answer is "neither of us" so just spent 20 minutes playing "rip 1 pass" with your dick in your hand until someone finally limps along to 6 prize cards with a kirlia. 80 fucking matches in a row that play like snakes & ladders and half the time you lose through no fault of your own and have to go again, and again and again, so it's actually more like 160 matches. And then the cards you got from those matches couldn't be traded, so you still couldn't fix your deck until you won another 60 matches in structure deck ranked for some packs, that you then have to spend another few weeks flipping on the stock exchange. Thank God they finally fixed their precons to something halfway playable. The fact they spent 20 years advising new players to build like structure decks, as if only being able to get off a firespin with Charizard 1 in every 10 games was intended style of play, is just insult to injury.
>>
>>55850405
Wrong game anon. This is base set. The advise still allies though
>>
>>55850334
NTA and I'm probably late for reading the whole exchange but looking at both and the original the middle one is worse quality in general and has nothing to do with how many colors it has, it paints the sides of bulbasaur's face light blue for no reason.
>>
>>55835344
Insanely based handholding post.
>>
>>55850460
it's not "for no reason", it's a limitation of the 8x8 tiles >>55849846

that's the whole point, the gameboy and it's limitations are not good at accomodating this extent of sprite colorization so they were much better off with the "monochrome" approach to keep the art seamless
>>
>>55850473
Makes sense to me
>>
>>55850452
I am aware this is base set. But the game didn't change that much in terms of basic deck construction.
It's like if MTG had spent 20 years telling new players you want 30 lands in every deck and you shouldn't curve your cmcs just slope them, with few low cost permanents or instants many high cost sorceries, then built every single preconstructed deck basically Singleton and following those backwards-ass rules.

Now this guy is saying you're a prescriptivist tryhard Spike for implying that it's a fucked up, fundamentally broken method of deck building.
>>
>>55850548
His core "24 energy 8-10 trainers" advise is so bad I assumed and still assume he is trolling. Also funny to note going by his own advice running 8-11 evolution cards for 15-18 basics is comical. Even the game advises 20:20:20 ratio which is way better
>>
>>55849677
soul

>>55849846
>nu
Can you stop calling them that as if they're some cashgrab soulless product? You're using the prefix completely incorrectly and out of context.
>>
>>55850572
>Can you stop calling them that as if they're some cashgrab soulless product?
>Implying it's not
>>
>>55850714
The vending card sets have some of the best artwork in the entirety of the TCG.
>>
>>55850747
xD
>>
>>55850334
holy kino
>>
>Weaknesses and resistance don't matter at my locals so fuck you
What the fuck?
>>
File: images[1].jpg (16 KB, 189x267)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>55850747
This guy knows what's up

>>55850841
This guy doesn't
>>
File: redditlovesthisgame.png (580 KB, 418x632)
580 KB
580 KB PNG
>>55851246
you just don't get it anon they are team rocket so they are supposed to cheat and if they didn't do this the game would be too easy okay?
>>
>>55851278
>wah the game needs to hold my hand i can't handle rule changes
>>
>>55851323
>the game needs to hold my hand
>he mockingly says in defense of the linear game in contrast with the open world one
>>
>>55851356
Linearity of story has nothing to do with difficulty, were you dropped on your head?
>>
>>55850334
NINTENDO! Hire this man!
>>
File: tcg970.png (56 KB, 677x573)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
4850 battles won
145 left to go
>>
>>55852493
based and autismpilled
>>
>>55842197
I see that you're a retard. Consider that if you can always draw it doesn't matter if oyu only have a few energy cards in your deck ,retard.
>>
>>55850747
That we still haven't gotten these cards in an English print run is a fucking crime
>>
File: ScytherWizardsPromo45[1].jpg (1.57 MB, 1495x2066)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>55852603
Some of them have actually been released in English (such as WOTC Black Star Scyther) but not most of them sadly.
>>
>>55849677
imagine being this kid and having your shit drawing immortalized into an official pokemon product
>>
Using a couple Legendary Zapdos, 20 energy cards, and about 40 trainer cards, I've been consistently able to beat just about anything.

The only thing to watch out for is Mr. Mime, but Kabuto handles him.

I got to about 100 battles in a row on the challenge machine before losing interest
>>
In the sequel anyone ever tried making a deck around that Hypno that controls Clefairy dolls? Obviously I don't mean competitively viable just playable in a way that feels successful and fun.
>>
>>55853194
Would be cool if the dolls could take more than a hit. As is it's too contrived for little benefit
>>
how would you "fix" the game?

nerf prof oak? nerf energy removal? 1 trainer per turn? buff evolution mons?
>>
>>55853909
draw power/consistency is fine for base set. What really needs fixed is every evolution card that is not wiggly or blastoise being shite. So buff the shit out of evolution mons and errata energy energy removal to a coinflip or outright ban it
>>
>>55835216
Filtered
its fun as fuck
>>
Lets post more comfy cards from the games, here's Dark Fearow
>>
File: golduckdark.png (1.19 MB, 600x825)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>55854904
best card art ever
>>
>>55853909
There's someone who did that, but it's more of its own game.
https://base-set-remastered.tumblr.com/set-display
>>
>>55856963
yikes. a lot of this is awful, imagine having free reign to redesign something and make some of these choices
>>
File: Victreebel jungle 1.jpg (1.17 MB, 1593x1880)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>55854904
I realize I don't have many solo pictures of base-fossil cards. I have a bunch of pictures of binder spreads of a mix of vintage sets, though.
>>
File: weepvic.png (1.5 MB, 960x660)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>55857108
literally a worse card than weepinbell. bravo
>>
>>55856963
>no energy removal
perhaps playable
>>
File: Tangela base 1st.jpg (2.13 MB, 2292x2500)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>55857127
I didn't have a picture of weepinbell, lol
Though that illustration is one of my favourites.
>>
>>55856963
>haymaker left mostly untouched
>in fact mewtwo is arguably better
>start trio arguably WORSE despite evolutions needing the biggest buffs
>basically every Mon who had a good pokepower is now worthless
At least rare candy is good. This list sucks cock
>>
>>55856963
This shit is legitimately stronger than anything printed in base set to gym. Doubly so in a format without energy removal. At least no gust of wind so it isnt an auto win. Also the other anon is right haymaker is left mostly untouched. Also also there is like no trainer cards. This feels like it was made by some unplayed who tried relearning base set to fossil and got assmad trainers are good
>>
>>55857541
>can 4 energy moves
Good job retard. It isn't like you know that is an incredible affect even as a pokepower that still requires the same energies of the moves it is calling.
>>
File: cubonefanfiction.jpg (195 KB, 552x769)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>55856963
>snivel
>prevent all damage
so you can literally stall forever the only way around it is to inflict a status condition that prevents you from attacking next turn
>>
>>55857728
also with no gust of wind in this format and chansey+ivysaur on bench you can literally deal with poison too. Auto win card
>>
>>55857728
Read that attack again until you understand it.
>>
>people spend hundreds on these
>>
File: cubonetcgog.png (1.14 MB, 610x835)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>55858803
let me guess, you're gonna claim retreating ends the effect. If so the description is fuzzy and poorly written. The real card knows to make it clear.
>>
File: en_US-XY4-057-liepard.jpg (184 KB, 734x1024)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>55858979
It says "Defending Pokemon". It has been regular nomenclature for over a decade. You must think pic related is a format-defining card.
>>
>>55853194
you can't really build a deck around this as it's just too awkward to get the clefairy dolls back. The hypnos only got 60 hp so you need another pokemon that doesnt just tank but do something while you are setting them up and can benefit from the dolls and hypno or drowzee which is.. wigglytuff and if they are with wiggytuff the fact their attack doesn't apply weakness hurts them a lot.

Really needs some sort of card that can pull the dolls out of your discardpile better than fossil slowpoke or using an item finder.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.