[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240430_191852.jpg (226 KB, 720x1162)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
Realistically most ferals won't be able to get adopted out, especially as adults. Many of them are aggresive and don't like people. The best way to help them would be to build tiny houses in which they'd have beds, scratch posts, toys, etc and be sheltered from the elements. Then volunteers will be tasked to clean the homes periodically as well as feed them, vets will examine them as needed but otherwise they'll live independently in a colony with other ferals.
>>
My mother used to spend her nights trapping feral cats. She'd bait the traps with mackerel then sit in the car for hours until it tripped then go recover the cat and take it to the shelter to be euthanized. She must've done this to dozens of cats over the years for no pay.
>>
>>4787283
Why was the shelter euthanizing them?
>>
>>4787288
Because they were wild animals that couldn't be adopted and they were breeding out of control around town. She knew people there, and ended up getting hired by the same shelter later, so she had connections to do it. I doubt some random can just take a cat in and ask to have it euthanized.
>>
>>4787299
Why not spayed/neutered and released?
>>
>>4787281
For large scale control somewhere like Australia where there’s too many over too large an area to realistically remove hopefully they make a gene drive or something. For neighbourhoods it’d be nice if people kept their cats indoors and bleeding heart morons stopped going on about TNR programs, “community cat” colonies and feeding strays
>>
>>4787301
Doesn’t work. Adopt them or euthanise them, don’t just abandon them again
>>
.22 rifles work well when dealing with cats.
>>
>>4787301
Costs money. And this was in the 90s. No one cared about that stuff back then. At least not where I lived.
>>
>>4787288
The universal solution to any problem
>>
>>4787302
What's wrong with community cats? A lot of people wanna interact with cats but live in places that don't allow pets
>>
>>4787283
While I'm a much bigger fan of tnr due to me being a big softie we do have to be realistic. She probably saved these kitty's a short and painful life
>>
>>4787351
Mentally healthy people have their own place and dont want gross feral cats shitting it up
>>
>>4787281
Feed them until they're comfortable enough with you not to run away, then shoot them. This is a service to all the native animals plagued by feral cats.
>>
>>4787352
you dont save lives by kiliing them
>>
>>4787281
Feral cats need to be culled en-masse, and I say this as a Cat Enjoyer.
>>
>>4787281
Oh goodie, another console war thread, riveting discussion ahead I’m sure
>>
>>4787361
There's something so harsh about not just shooting them instead and tricking them
>>
>>4787281
this exact thread exists already, check the catalog before posting, newfag
>>
>>4787302
Stop dingo "control" and the "self sufficient" cats go extinct until someone introduces more cats. Simple.
https://www.unsw.edu.au/newsroom/news/2019/04/dogged-researchers-show-that-dingoes-keep-feral-cats-in-check
Cats are not wild animals. They are not a true invasive species. They can not survive unless humans want them to, by killing their predators (dingos/coyotes), setting out food, and continuously stocking the population.

The only places dingos fail to eliminate cats are places where humans are attempting to control the dingo population so they can overproduce a bunch of sheep no one wants.

Also see: north america. Stop shooting coyotes, stop letting cats out, stop feeding cats, and the cats vanish. Reason being, housecats are not wild animals and can not survive in the wild.

Cat "people" are the sole cause of this environmental problem. The cats are unwitting tools.
>>
>>4787647
cats might actually be truly invasive in europe, but only by breeding with whats left of their actual wild cats, causing extinction by making them too retarded to survive without at least one dumpster per square mile
>>
>>4787656
Why don't these just get adopted?
>>
>>4787303
So fix and feed as outdoor cat. Works
>>
>>4787715
That's me, I have a beautiful big black/grey tom cat who I wanna watch live and breed amongst a feral cat colony. Would be interesting to see their reactions towards him
>>
>>4787281
Just shoot them, you can turn them into hats or something you can sell so it pays for itself
>>
>>4787406
You save birds' lives by killing cats though.
>>
>the problem to an excessive feral cat population is to feed and shelter them so they reproduce even more, according to catfags
makes sense, toxo makes you want to create more cats so the parasite spreads more
>>
>>4787747
>problem
I mean solution
>>
>>4787406
what about all the animals cats kill for fun??
>>4787722
kys
>>
>>4787283
your mother is an amazing person tell her I thank her service and to stay safe. your post brought a smile to my face
>>
>>4787656
>causing extinction
Has this happened to anything else out of the Scottish Wildcat though
>>
>>4787644
I know but the indian dog fag has bled from his asshole all over it so we needed a fresh one
>>
>>4788477
Toxobrains could make up any boogeyman and the one they invent is some gay racist shit only a nazi would consider an insult

As expected. Cats are reddit. Unironic racism is reddit. A match made in Heaven.
>>
>>4787283
Based
Ferals kill so many native birds and even outcompete native cat species.
>>
>>4787301
So they can keep killing animals? Nah you gotta get rid of them immediately.
>>
>doggot is a third worlder redditor crying about racism and nazis
a new low for dog “people”
nothing else need be said
>>
>>4788532
>dogchads stand up against hate
>catchuds seethe
>>
>>4788498
I bet you were born in 2000 or later
>>
>noooo not the hecking birderinos
Get rekt lizards
>>
>>4788537

so true xister let’s go prep the bull away from this chuddie also make sure to refill the dog bowl with s0i infused veggie ingredients :)
>>
>>4787301
>just rerelease the destructive invasive species bro
no
>>
>>4787281
or you could kill the invasive species? Just kill cats without collars. Simple as that. Use a bat, a low caliber gun, your car, etc. Boo hoo the fluffy dies.
If it was a mucus dripping parasite with a carapace and 9 eyes you wouldn't give a damn. But it's fluffy so you; for some reason, feel compelled to save it's literally worthless life.
>>
>>4787351
They contribute to the number of feral cats and cause all the same ecological problems, not to mention it’s not fair on the cat to be living as semi abandoned
>>
>>4788665
what is it with rightoids and being obsessed with cuckholding?
>>
>>4788711
Sounds like he hit the nail on the head.
>>
File: giphy.gif (658 KB, 296x222)
658 KB
658 KB GIF
>>4788712
>only time cuckholding is ever mentioned is when rightoids bring it up
>"but you're the one obsessed with it"
>>
>>4787281
>The best way to help them would be
forcibly capturing, neutering and returning them and letting nature solve the problem

>>4788685
Killing them unfortunately is the worse option. If you spay them they keep territory and food pressure on other colonies, and they stay centralized ensuring ongoing SNR programs know exactly where to find them. If you kill them they migrate, scatter, have baby booms, it becomes guerilla shit.
>>
>>4788736
How can they migrate if they are dead? They going to go to places with predators? Isn't the reason they are a problem is because of urban environments? Spaying a nutering isn't what got rid of the dodo. Killing them is quick and anyone can do it. You can literally bribe children to do it.
>>
>>4787281
the solution to ferals is to get a bow and arrow/crossbow and take them out. mostly silent weapons so you don't have to deal with fucktards wondering what the sound was. Save your local environment, and end the stay problem.
>>
>>4787281
Ottawa, Canada, used to have a giant cat house that was shaped like the Parliament, it got retired during the Harper era as it was considered inhumane to keep cats outside, but they could have installed heating.
>>
>>4788740
Dodos weren't small ambush predators who reproduce like rabbits.
>>
Imagine being so cucked by reptiles you shill for birds over mammals

>Yasss massa gimme that big lizard cock we mammalcels have no right to kill our lords

Unironically kill yourselves fags.
>>
>>4787288
Right? I would've drown them in a river right away.
Fuck if I'm ever wasting gas to kill cats.
>>
>>4788852
Yes, they were also unique to one island.
They also weren't invasive, and a lot of other things. That's not the crux of the argument. We can bring whipe out animals without trying.
How is spaying and neutering them more effective than killing them?
It's not, if we trapped and killed strays as a society. They would be gone in a number of years. With a huge coyote population and massive amount of other predators. House cats won't root outside of urban environments in which they completely rely.
Killing the invasive species is the most effective route.
>>
>>4788723
Sounds like he hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>4788862
trvthfvl post
>>
this delusional tard still larping like hes the robin hood savior of his shithole neighborhood running around with a bow and arrow lmaooo
>>
>>4788689
It's not abandoned, it will be loved and cared for by a community instead of just one owner, what's wrong with that?
>>
Cute community
>>
File: 1711630481924927.jpg (129 KB, 666x500)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>4787281
I'd simply eat them.
>>
>>4787281
Clearly, we need to release a new species into these environments that will prey on the cats.
I say owls.
>>
>>4789100
Its quiet and extremely effective
>>
>>4790134
and FUN
>>
File: rs=w_806,cg_true.jpg (176 KB, 806x752)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>4790132
Owls are ez to deal with
>>
>>4790142
Catfaggots will do anything except bring their stinky garbage animals inside the house
>>
>>4790134
I’m sure you’re hitting every shot with your xtreme skillzzz bud
>>
>>4790145
We're talking about community cats (ferals) not house cats
>>
>>4790145
Cry harder cocksucker
>>
>>4790148
Youre gonna but a bunch of shiny bibs on all the feral cats?
>>
>>4790146
Its not hard lmfao go outside sometime you little bitch
>>
>>4790152
larp harder
>>
>>4790150
If they live among birds of prey, yea
>>
>>4790187
Larp about being less of a bitch
>>
>>4790202
see >>4790187
>>
>>4790202
shes british, they cant help it
>>
>>4787747
We would also neuter them
>>
>>4787281
Obviously trapping and neutering is ineffective but the rate cats breed at makes hunting an impractical, and ethically iffy, solution as well. To me the best solution would be engineering some sort of sterility virus and distributing vaccines to domestic cat owners
>>
I wish we can do the same to dogs.
>>
>>4788740
You don't seem to understand that in non-retarded places, actual biologists and conservationists are working on this problem and their methods work when implemented. You don't have to worry or argue about it. Worry about feral hogs instead since we still don't have a solution for that that works.
>>
>>4792758
What places are you talking about? What methods? You can ask any competent ecologist, they will tell you that only one method works: removing them from nature.
I won't even comment on your ridiculous deflection making hogs the scapegoat. This is genuine toxoplasmosis, there is no other explanation for such blatant denial.
>>
If people can have outdoor cats, why can't I have an outdoor coyote?
>>
File: B000149.jpg (107 KB, 512x448)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>4788736
>>4792458
You speak like cats are an actual plague we can't really get rid of, ala mice

They are actually incredibly stupid and horrible at surviving. One guy with a gun could cause total cat death in <1 month. So could like, 2 greyhounds.

>>4792758
In "non retarded" places, we can't kill them because of the cat worship cult crying animal cruelty, and we can't have predators running loose doing it for us because hobby farmers think their small time ranching operation represents an important part of the food supply rather than a boutique cottage industry job that literally doesn't matter. In fact, the hobby farmer retards actively kill off completely natural predators like hawks, owls, and coyotes because OMG MUH HOBBY FARM CHICKENS CANT FREE RANGE
Even worse, THEY SHOOT NATURAL PREDATORS TO SAVE THE FERAL CATS.

"Non retarded" places are actually extremely retarded. Hence non-solutions that do not work and never have like TNR. Only TNE and TNA do shit because the cats are removed and people know that if their cat is let out it's getting killed or locked in a cage for 2 weeks and then killed. TNR creates the illusion that it is ok to abandon cats outside and that they are part of the environment - and cat people are some of the worst when it comes to literally worshiping their pets, worse than shitbull mommies
The definition of a cat person is someone who thinks their cat is magically smarter, cleaner, and better than all other animals after all. These people actually believe cats are smarter than dogs, apex predators, etc, and will continue believing that until we kill the feral cats and show them how false their god is.

Again, cats are not wild animals. They are domesticated genetic trainwrecks and if we actually wanted them gone or simply ignored them and stopped feeding and replenishing the population, they would vanish

>>4792670
We already did
Maybe you're a russian/indian/african and too stupid to?
>>
>>4793727
because you’re dumb and can’t take care of them
>>
>>4793739
>if we actually wanted them gone or simply ignored them and stopped feeding and replenishing the population, they would vanish
In fairness, you could say that of any other number of animals surviving though conservation and what not
>>
>>4793762
The difference is those animals would be fine if humans hadn’t fucked things up in the first place
>>
>>4788736
>just forcibly capture, spend money on a surgery, and then release the animal to still die in public
what? fucking moron

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.