[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ring the nog bell.jpg (283 KB, 1484x989)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
A. buying staple ingredients, deciding what to prepare based on what you have in your kitchen

or

B. deciding what dishes to make, buying only ingredients needed for those dishes

I'm a B shopper, other than sauces I only buy shit that I'm going to cook within a day or two
>>
>>20465903
mostly B, but also A for very common ingredients like onions and peppers
>>
>>20465909
>but also A for very common ingredients like onions and peppers

I'd argue this is still a B technique, you're buying onions and peppers for a dish, otherwise if you're a B shopper you have all the ingredients you need for a particular recipe but also just onions?
>>
>>20465903
i have a wife.
she's decent at grocery shopping.
B.
>>
>>20465903
I usually buy what's marked down and try to make do the best I can with the available ingredients
>>
>>20465903
b except for a small handful of things I always have
>>
>>20465903
A mix of both. I know I’m gonna need stuff like potatoes and carrots and pasta. But then I consider the types of pasta dishes I might want to cook. There also might be specific dishes I’m in the mood for or staple dishes I know I’ll cook
>>
I keep the dry staples like pasta and rice on hand, stocking up when they're on sale, and I always keep a couple simple things like ground pork in the freezer to throw something together in a moment's notice, but I mainly do b. each week I'll hop on my grocery store's website and see if any of the meats I like are on sale, and if they are I'll buy some and either use them within a couple days or throw them in the freezer. I plan the entire week out and then freeze meats that I won't be using for more than 3 days, and then I throw them in the fridge 24 hours before I need to make their meal, longer if they're big whole cuts. sometimes my planning is very specific, other times it's mexican pork and I decide specifics the day I'm making it since I have enough ingredients in the pantry that I can take it in a handful of directions without buying specialty things that week.
>>
My wife’s husband does all the shopping around here. I really can’t complain at all about having to deal with such a tedious task these days thanks to that big guy. :)
>>
Neither. We always have staples because they're fucking staples and stock up on them when we're running low and/or they're on sale/offer/special.
We buy things seasonally/when they're in season because that's when they're at their cheapest. Example, Cinco de Mayo just passed so beef, taco shit etc were cheap as fuck.
Cabbage was cheap around St Patrick's (9¢/lb).
Cherries will be in season soon and therefore cheap when they are.
Basically, the seasons dictate our diets so more A than B.
>>
>>20465903
C. Impulse buy stuff that I'll probably never use and end up having to throw out because it hits expirey
>>
Look at ad and coupons before leaving, once there go straight to the expired meat section to feed the vacuum sealer and freezer. Load up on the good coupon and ad deals. Stuff like frozen vegetables and pasta which rarely go on sale I just buy a bunch of so it's always on hand. Bunch of canned crushed tomatoes. Then whatever is needed to finish up the meals for the week.
Just have to remember what's in the freezer since that's what dictates the menu. It's nice having a, bunch of stuff at home. Could reasonably skip a week or two without any problems other than running out of milk and refrigerated produce. Wouldn't be fun but there's enough to get creative and eat for at least a couple of months.
>>
>>20466285
>pasta which rarely go on sale
Fucking where? They're constantly on sale in my area. What's never on sale are lasagne and large shells.
>>
>>20465903
Neither, I check out what's on sale and plan meals around that.
I grew up poor and grocery shopping is the one place where I cannot shake off my frugality even though I make decent money now
>>
>>20465903
I buy whatever is on sale or I have coupons for and create dishes based on the foods I get.
>>
>>20466588
This
>>
I shoplift
>>
Do multi vitamins even do anything? I just can't eat a good diet right now. Is there any point in multi vitamins as a replacement
>>
>>20465903
A of course. B sounds retarded and pretentious.
>>
>>20467856
>pretentious
you don't know what that means lol
>>
File: a2f.jpg (360 KB, 1920x1080)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
Once a month hubby and I drive our XXL Urban Assault truck to Sam's Club where we buy several pallets of frozen food and potato chips and diet pop (we call it pop here because we are ignorant hicks). It takes over 4 hours to get there but it's worth it because we're terrified of blacks, native americans, mexicans, communists, transgenders, squatters, libtards, and our very own shadows which are admittedly pretty hard to see because our girth gets in the way of seeing the ground directly.

Anyway once we get there after driving past 40 different non-denominational churches each the size of a large state university football stadium, we arrive and get into fist fights with the other shoppers over the last pallet of some chinese plastic garbage while wearing a T shirt complaining about factory jobs all outsourced by libtards.

Then once we've loaded up our carts and paid using our maxed out Sams Club Mastercard (only 24% APR!), we trudge the 400 yards through the parking lot to get to our land battleship, load it up with goods, and then road rage at strangers for mildly inconveniencing us because there's a stop light on the way out of the parking lot and the whole world revolves around us. Arrrrgh why is there all this TRAFFFIC! There awtta be a law!!!!

Then we get home and I, being a trad wife, microwave up a tasty styrofoam plate of sloppa for hubby so he can relax while watching sportsball in our tacky depressing living room festooned with decorations covered in religious messages.
>>
>>20467942
least insane and obsessed leftist
>>
>>20465903
A, I have a handful of simple meals I rotate through since I'm just cooking for one and there's no reason to get fancy. Oh God I'm so lonely please just let it end
>>
>>20465903
A2: buy in bulk or on sale/seasonally cheap/50% off sticker then figure out what the fuck to make
>>20465946
This guy gets it. Living this way also makes you a better cook. B-fags are the most pretentious queers in the world, shopping only for what you need for one dinner is the most time, effort, and cost inefficient way to operate. Just give up and eat your blue apron subscription box slop already.
>>
File: 62wv3j.jpg (4 KB, 150x150)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
@20467942
No (You)s for you.
>>
>>20465903
What is this OP selling?
>>
>>20465903
make list of things we need.
buy things we always use.
walk through entire store looking for something new or different.
shop for one week. most everything I would want I have.
>>
>>20467942
but enough about your fetish.
how do you shop for groceries?
>>
>>20468295
anon you need to put the >> to quote a post like this >>20467942
>>
>>20465903
Both? I keep staples around but then buy what I need for a dish. Like I always have everything needed for a basic chicken noodle soup except the chicken, but when I actually make it I go and grab some lemongrass and thai basil along with my meat.
>>
I eat the same thing every day and buy the same produce, grains, and spices every time I shop.
>>
>>20467853
It's better than nothing if you know your diet is lacking. You can find more bioavailable forms that will help more though. Iron bisglycinate, retinyl palmitate for vitamin A, methylated B vitamins, EPA/DHA instead of ALA for omega 3, zinc glycinate. These are absorbed and used better than other forms for the most part.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.