[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Imagepipe_0.jpg (195 KB, 1024x768)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
should I just keep buying red wings? might try some georgia boots or some thorogoods for the first time.

press f to show respect
>>
F
>>
>>2793525
I want that rude for but now I prefer to buy steel-toed rubber boots. At least I can get them on and off quickly to get stuff out of my shoes and socks, or change my socks cuz they're wet with sweat halfway through the day
>>
>>2795440
What steel toed rubber boots do you prefer?
>>
>>2793525
Danner
>>
>>2793525
Stop buying Redwings. Their quality has gone to shit in the last 15 years. Even more so with Georgia.

Get the pry bar out and open your wallet for real, handmade boots from Spokane. I had Franks Boots make me a boot to my specs a few years back and they're the most comfortable, durable boots I've ever owned. Even their budget brand is better than anything you can buy from Redwing.

https://franksboots.com/collections/the-patriot
>>
File: 4000.jpg (47 KB, 620x372)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2793525
I recommend Doc Martens. I got the 'For Life' program. I bought two pair. All told it cost about 600 bucks. But even though you can't buy the For Life boots anymore, they still honor the agreement for pairs already sold and registered.
When one pair wears out, you box 'em up, pay the shipping, mail them back. In a week, they deliver you a new pair of comfy, professional boots: Rinse and repeat.
I haven't had to buy boots in almost a decade. I have truly never worn better boots. I wear them everyday.
>>
>>2795506
Those heals look a little high for my taste.
>>
File: IMG_5947.jpg (60 KB, 698x710)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2793525
>/diy/
>doesn’t rear his own cows, skin, tan, treat, and cut his own leather
>doesn’t use esoteric cobbling techniques to fashion that leather into a high quality boot
the absolute state of this board
>>
>>2795521
The soles on those things wear out faster than a snotty Kleenex. And that was when I was a kid in high school, not working job sites.
>>
>>2793525
this is /diy/ make your own dweeb
>>
>>2795595
The heels are high for a reason...it balances your weight between the ball, heel, and most importantly arch. Most boots have fuckall for arch support and dudes wonder why their feet fucking hurt.

The insides are entirely made of leather so, as you break them in, the leather forms to your feet. I have a couple of pairs, one that I literally call my slippers. They're that comfortable.
>>
>>2795506
These are like goth girl high heel boots and I’m not twink enough to pull them off
>>
>>2795643
nta, op here, but i only wear crepe soles, i hate anything with a heel. steel workers call it a "half inch heart attack" when your heel slips while working at height. just sucks they wear so quickly. agree on leather soles though, they form perfectly with your feet and end up being extremely comfortable after a few weeks.
>>
>>2793525
Bought some Ariat steel toes on clearance for work a few months ago. I know they’re not the best but they seem to be holding up alright so far. Multiple coworkers have Thorogoods that lasted 3+ years but I can’t drop $300 on boots at the moment. Redwings seem hit or miss but mostly miss
>>
>>2793525
I bought second hand red wings 10 years ago and wear them all the time, some light cracking but otherwise the leather looks better than it ever has with occasional mink oil conditioning. Resoled twice, once re welted with genuine sole because I had worn through them too much and waited too long, and recently with a very similar sole as the genuine ones were too hard to source in my country. Incredibly comfortable and the patina would take a long time to replicate if I got a new pair, perhaps the quality has gone down in recent years though. I'd be happy owning these shoes forever and paying for resoles instead of new boots.
>>
>>2795506
Correct answer. If you want real durability go to one of the PNW bootmakers (Franks, Nicks, Whites, etc). They're expensive but they'll last forever.
>>
>>2795779
isnt Ariat just chinaslop
>>
>>2795506
this but I prefer nicks boots (nicksboots.com) or whites boots (whitesboots.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9z-xefA_iA
>>
>>2797044
over time these are a better deal than buying $300 throwaway boots every few years. You buy them once and then pay ~100 for a resole when you need to, so you're "replacing" your boots for the price of some crap timberlands or whatever
they're also more durable in general because they make them better, and if you weld you can get them with fireproof stitching
on top of that they're far more comfortable because they're made exactly to your foot dimensions
>>
>>2793525
Thorogoods are better.
>>
File: IMG_0028.jpg (1.54 MB, 1625x1630)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
I swear by these.

I’m a software engineer.
>>
I've got a pair of white's hathorns
damn nice boots
also use obenauf's on your boots and they'll last a long time
>>
>>2793525
>thorogoods
Pass, mine pulled out on the welt after a week. And they are a pain in the ass to warranty.
>>
>>2797044
Just be ware because their most profitable market now is hipsters, not loggers.
>>
>>2799133
I've never had trouble with Thorogoods, I'm on my second pair. Only reason I ditched my first set was they were from working in a chemical lab that I got laid off from, and I didn't want to risk bringing home contaminated boots (I'd usually change into them on-site. Oddly enough that was the first pair that I had that ever survived chemical solvents and corrosives for more than a year.
>>
>>2799135
Yup. Thats why I went with Franks. They make the least "fancy lad" boots out of any of the PNW boot makers.

So as far as I know Whites was the original Spokane boot maker. Nicks was spun off in the 60's from the foreman of Whites. Then, years later, Franks was created by the foreman of Nicks. White's quality has gone down a bit since they're now owned by a huge Japanese shoe conglomerate.

Wesco is good too down in Oregon.

>>2799068
Yeaaaaaaaaa. I work in mining. Those would be destroyed in a month.

>>2799111
Obenaufs LP is the shit.
>>
>>2795440
>rubber boots
>socks are wet with sweat halfway through the day
Puzzling.
>>
>>2793525
Do they still come with a lifetime warranty? I thought redwings would replace or repair them if they got fucked up like that.
>>
>>2799235
I'm a field biologist.
I spend about 75-80 hours a month bushwhacking through deadfall, through swamps, kicking branches out of the way, hiking over boulders.
Going on a year with a pair of Danners and they look as good as new. They're more durable than you would think. Maybe not the best boot if you're in knee-deep mud all day I guess but otherwise surprisingly good.
Super comfortable too.
>>
>>2799864
Concrete is what kills boots

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.