[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Suppose you have rooftop solar panels, but without storage batteries. That way you are supposed to just use the energy in the moment it's produced, or it gets sent back to the grid.
Basically I don't want to send anything back to the grid because fuck grid operators. I can already monitor the solar production and the current house electricity usage, so I know when I am "wasting" solar energy. When that happens I can setup an automation that trigger a relay to turn on something that uses that energy (which ideally also saves/generates money)
So anons have ideas about what the load can be?

>turn on the hot water tank
I already have a solar tank
>bitcoin miner
Initial cost is too high
>Charge stuff
But what. I don't have an EV
>>
>>2794610
Buy an EV to mine bitcoin
>>
>>2794610
Without batteries, you're getting less power during cloudy days and none at night. Why not just buy batteries to cover those times like everyone else?
>>
>>2794622
Because in my country having batteries implies installing a proper solar system, which means hiring a surveyor to come up with a project and communicate it to the registry and more bureoucracy and then hire a certified installation company which means 15k+ euro
However there's a "plugin solar system" clause for which you can just buy 2x 400w panels, an inverter, and plug them in your outlet yourself. Total cost 500 euro max. It's nice to offset consumptions of fridge/pcs/hvac during the day

>>2794626
Fucking inverters anon
>>
>>2794610
Have a pond nearby? Or get yourself the cheapest possible big above ground pool. Build a water tower and pump water up there when you have excess solar, and then dump the water back out over an old-timey water wheel to run a textile mill!
>>
>>2794646
Please keep to your thread
>>
>>2794610
dishwasher
drier
washing machine
AC (aka air-to-air heat pump)
being able to turn it all on remotely, when you have excess, is the only good use case for "smart" appliances
>>2794642
that's more expensive than a battery
>>
>>2794610
thermal battery?
>>
Electrolysis?
>>
>>2794643
Sure.
>>2794642
I also thought about a gravity battery using water but alas no pond nearby.
>>2794664
Uh that's cool. I don't think they are sold for home use yet thoughever
>>2794660
You can turn them on automatically but you have to load them before use. None of my appliances are smart but I am working on getting a notification on my phone when there is surplus energy so I can start them manually
>>
File: jeanious.png (136 KB, 1024x768)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>2794669
>thermal battery
>I don't think they are sold for home use
my fucking sides. are you this guy?
>>
File: 1706308136195656.jpg (86 KB, 634x810)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2794610
>AI slop image
>Absolutely retarded premise searching for a solution that's beyond the already known reasonable one for no reason
>"How will this make money?" (Proceeds to want to do anything except for the easiest way to make money, selling back to the grid.)
>Zero description of current setup
>"I can't do <reasonable thing> because government will <do something they actually won't do>
>Lets make this as overly complicated and least valuable as possible
>Solar thread 10,456
>Treating energy like a commodity that expires instead of as a negative load to your net system
>Bitcoin
>How do I waste this power by turning shit on instead of wasting it by not turning shit on?
>Euroshit
>>
>>2794677

you have provided a valuable service to the board.
>>
>>2794677
It's clear that OP doesn't want to get the proper permits, so selling back to grid is out, but he should just suck it up and get batteries either way.
>>
>>2794690
I mean op could get 4 old car batteries and put them in the closet. Seriously how tf is the government going to know or care. Imagine believing they'd ignore the fucking roof full of solar panels but somehow magically know OP added a battery.
>>
>>2794688
Thanks, if you want another taste of my cock just ask.
>>
>>2794610
Run an air compressor
>>
>>2794610
I've been wondering the same thing. In my country, the government is partly subsidizing the installation of solar panels, that are connected to the grid. If it's too sunny in your neighbourhood, the network gets overloaded by you and your neighour's solar panels so you get disconnected from the grid. Then you start paying again for your power while your panels are at full production.
I've thought about it and the solution is a neighbourhood mining rig. You won't make lots of money but at least your power doesn't go to waste
>>
>>2794625
smoke alarm started beeping again
>>
Well pump filling roof tank for toilets and garden needs, with an overflow drain going to a garden fountain/fish pond
>>
>>2794610
Use it to run a high powered light, then beam that back toward the sun. Just return the energy that you're not using so you can use it again tomorrow when you need it.
>>
Ice cube maker, then bag and sell them
>>
>>2794749
He wouldn’t complain about that, he’d just ignore it
More than likely his baby momma found him and wants payments
>>
File: burger girl.jpg (261 KB, 2048x2048)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
mine XMR?
>>
>>2794691
What do you use fully charged car batteries for?
>>
>>2794610
make your own gasoline
>>
>>2794610
>Basically I don't want to send anything back to the grid
then get a battery bank that's all you can do faggot.
>>
>>2794633
>Because in my country
fuck off. the only answer is GET batteries.
>>
>>2794677
YES thank you. this encompasses every thread on diy.
>>
File: IRS Monero-Chan Cute Hot.png (1.86 MB, 2048x1988)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>2794840
based
>>
>>2794610

>pic

AI art kills artist.

Many artists take commisions for as little as $10 a piece. Consider that the next time you need cheap art quickly.
>>
File: bracket.png (82 KB, 1024x768)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>2795020
you throw them in the ocean, fucking duh

>>2795254
based and artist pilled. you want to tip my patreon?
>>
>>2794610
The correct answer is to install solar panels and also bypass your meter, so you can explain to the power company why your usage is so low
>>
>>2794610
You could run the fridge temperature a bit further down, closer to zero, and the freezer to as cold as possible.

>I already have a solar tank
You might want to heat that to 95°C to elimnate bacteria, especially legionella.
>>
Im off grid. The answer is basically whatever you can find to put it into battery-wise, phones, batts for tools, charge up extra auto batts-

Then i put it all into heating or cooling/dehumidifying in summer.
I use a lava lamp and an ice maker as "heaters". I got the ice maker for free.

Other than that, appreciate being in a place of abundance
>>
Use solar power to boil water to power a steam engine to provide power, then use that power to for a spotlight to power your solar panels.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.