[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

ITT we share and discuss tips on how to get our hands on cheap materials and "waste".
So far what i've found on this board is:
>go and ask a stone mason for a headstone that has not been paid or broken/waste stones
>go to a concrete plant next to a river and ask for river stones that are too big to be used as gravel
>go to a lime-sand brick factory and ask for clay and soile they have extracted

What other way are there to get your hands on cheap materials?
Which other waste materials could be useful and be acquired cheaply?
>>
Check your local laws and see if you can go around and collect people's garbage before the truck comes. Also, many rural residents will pay you to come get their garbage.
>>
Is there a good way to get wood for cheap?
>>
>>2797988
If you have milling equipment or even a chainsaw and a trailer, and you live in an area with lots of trees, you can offer to haul off downed trees. Pro tree services charge a lot and usually just mulch them.
>>
>>2797823
Fabricators who generate lots of scrap materials will often have stuff they just toss into recycling or the trash, or hang onto but will sell for next to nothing...

You just have to smart in how you approach them, and make it worth their while. That means dont be picky or act like you're doing them a favor, even if you are. It can also help if you buy something from them first and then you are asking as a customer and not just a beggar....lots of times if you go in asking to buy a small piece of material they will just give it to you.

Cabinet and sign shops generate a lot of cutoffs of nice material like Formica and countertop material and plastic sheet, or end up with extra or misordered stock that's too nice to trash but piles up.
Door and window installers usually have old sash and glass units they removed that they just dump, and sometimes cutoffs of jamb stock and moldings that are nice wood.

It just depends on what you need, and how hard it is to deal with.
>>
>>2797823
The Jews don't want you to know this but the ducks are free at the pond (meme. Oldfag here, did I get it right?)

Home Depot etc has scrap wood that is not inventoried. It's the spacer wood that comes in on truck shipments. It's in the back behind the store. Ask a manager up front if you can have it.

They also have cut wood near the saw, and may let it go next to nothing. Or not. It varies.

My neighbor has a mill, so I get scraps and slabs and build stuff or use it for ground cover. I was taking most of his scrap rather than let it burn -although that's useful too- and he genuinely didn't know what I was using it for. We just have shitty clay out here, good for bricks, not much else, and it gets very slippery when wet. Gravel is what people put down if they're not poorfags.

Slabs are the cuttings from the side of the tree that have bark on one side. They are useful for covering up drainage trenches and decent ones can be shelves, just mount them upside down flat side up.

Local hardware store has free basic pallets, too.

Look for listings in craigs or fbm to take down old shacks and such - you get to keep the material for moving it away.

We are super rural appalachia. Come and squeal like a pig with us.
>>
Keep an eye out for free shit in the classifieds. It's amazing what people will give away just to get rid of it. Doors, old floorboards, complete kitchen units, tables, chairs etc etc. If you've got a truck or trailer you can get great stuff because it's too large for the people to toss themselves.
It does pay to be a bit discerning though because you could end up with a hoarder pile
>>
>>2798015
>Local hardware store has free basic pallets, too.
Unfortunately, most pallets are junk. Usually there is very little usable wood by the time they get thrown out, and sometimes they are treated with pesticides that you shouldn't create dust out of. If you can find a clean one you're lucky.
>>
>>2797830
>Check your local laws and see if you can go around and collect people's garbage before the truck comes
>>2798042
>It's amazing what people will give away just to get rid of it. Doors, old floorboards, complete kitchen units, tables, chairs etc etc. If you've got a truck or trailer you can get great stuff because it's too large for the people to toss themselves.
This is what I do. I specifically target the wealthier neighborhoods because they have nicer trash, including stuff that isn't really 'trash' at all, just things they didn't want to store. I have a truck and an amazon girlfriend, so there's really nothing I can't collect from the curbside. If you have a smaller vehicle and/or are doing things solo, you'll have less success
>>
>>2798133
Whats an amazon girlfriend?
>>
>>2798042
>hoarder pile
I know exactly what you mean!
>>
>>2798004
>Fabricators who generate lots of scrap materials will often have stuff they just toss into recycling or the trash, or hang onto but will sell for next to nothing...
Sounds great, like what fabricators for example?
I heard you can get nice marble and franite from china for super cheap because shipping businesses will ship it almost for free to get their ships weighted down by its load and can therefore load more lighter goods. But im not sure on how to get any of that or where to turn?
>>
Bump for natural stones
>>
>>2798301
>amazon girlfriend
I think he meant Amazonian girlfriend. Picture related.
>>
>>2798417
Lol i thought like an amazon truck driver or customer dervice worker who can get their hands on returned packages for cheap or free.
Have you heard about them giving away returned stuff for cheap? Is there really something to it?
>>
File: a.jpg (97 KB, 880x587)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Estate sales. I've been to more than a few and walked into garages/shops with tons of materials, tools, and projects in progress.

They are also great for sourcing high quality items at low prices. Everything from cleaning products at a dollar a bottle to very nice pieces of vintage furniture for next to nothing. I have an expandable solid cherry dining room table that I got for $40 because it was so large it needed to go in a truck and no one else that showed up was interested. Picture related, from Google.

If Habitat for Humanity operates in your area they likely have a ReStore. That is their thrift store. People and business donate building supplies, tools, and tons of other things to them and things that can't use in their buildings end up there. Light fixtures, switches, outlets, cover plates, doors, windows, cabinets, furniture, nuts, blots, nails, paint, sinks, toilets, bathtubs, washers, dryers, stoves, ovens, etc. My even gets Amazon returns because there is a warehouse on the same street and it is cheaper to donate it for the tax write-off then it is to ship it back and resell it.
>>
File: 1000005518.jpg (47 KB, 600x900)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2797823
I want cans for can sealing food but they're $3 a pop online even for a pallet's worth.
For $3 I could get the can at the grocery with food which has been pasteurized and the manufacturer, farmer, and grocer profit.
>>
>>2798426
Ngl that table looks uncomfortable, but your tips sound really good. Where would you try ans get some natural stones from to do stone masonry work?
>>
>>2798751
Are you sure about that? I just found some online for 70 cents for lid and can.
Though its a german website
https://www.flaschenbauer.de/konservendosen/
>>
File: 1000005520.jpg (321 KB, 1080x2400)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>2798770
I'm not certain, but I came to that conclusion after a full day of research. That site doesn't calculate shipping to the US.
House of cans is the defacto source for US based folks. Pic related is the prices ... plus $100 for shipping and then taxes.
I played around with Alibaba who starts prices around $0.80, but ensuring the sizing and after shipping left me without confidence I was wasting time and money.
>>
File: 1000005524.jpg (306 KB, 1080x2157)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>2798777
I guess Alibaba is starting to add up, I just thought there could be a local option that made more sense
>>
>>2797823
>lumber facilities sell sawdust and leftover tree bark on the cheap
>some diners and restaurants give away used cooking oil for free, which is useful for biodiesel
>some companies sell "sand" made from crushed glass bottles
>some CNC companies way give away scrap metal from mill jobs
>if you have a butcher in your area and have a garden, you can ask for any leftover bones and spoiled meat to make into fertilizer or something
>check if a nearby college or university has a dispossession sale program; you'd be surprised by what you could find
>>
>>2798304
Never heard of using valuablrvstone for ballast like that, but places that relieve large shipped items that aren't containerized will often have crates and cradles that are one way items and cab be gotten for cheap, or nothing.

Aa for fabricators, besides the ones mentioned like I say it depends on what materials you want...you may need to think backwards by thinking of who uses the stuff you need and seek them out. Also look to places that do operations for multiple types of industries...placescthat do waterjet and other production machining will often generate cool shapes that just get cut off and sold as scrap, that you can pay slightly more for but still get very useful parts for next to nothing.

FWIW places that do military contracts or work in highly regulated fields like aerospace tend to get rid of material that is slightly out of spec, damaged in one spot, worn tools like drill bits that still have plenty of use in them, outdated or worn jigs that can be cannibalized, and so forth. Search around for where experimental aircraft and DIY boat builders go for that kind of thing in your area area if you are near any kind of manufacturers and you can hit the mother lode.
>>
>>2798420
I think that's what he meant 'A girl that works at amazon'.

Pick was funny, but really the fantasy of a homo.
>>
>>2800128
Yeah agreed lol
>>
>>2798861
>some cnc places give away scrap metal from jobs

No we don’t, we usually save cutoffs and drops to proof our new programs or setups

Then once proven we just toss it in the chip bin the recyclers take out all the solids, coolant then melt the chips

Mash the solids and melt those too

And if I’m the one programming the parts, pull out the remnants of the broken end mill because I run through $8 1/4” carbide endmills like drake runs through a high school girls
>>
>>2797823
are you retarded? you can collect stones from the ground or directly from a stream yourself.

>>2798769
this guy is not drop-leaf pilled. sad.
>>
>>2801200
No you cant, these stones are owned by someone, do you just go into a forest and chop a tree willy-nilly?
>>
>>2802065
>these stones are owned by someone

white people always gotta be owning shit
>>
>>2798133
The best thing to do is go through those wealthy neighborhoods when spring hits. They'll be throwing out lawn mowers and other shit like that because they don't know (or care) that the carburetor just needs cleaned or similar easy fixes. They can easily afford to just buy a new one.
>>
>>2802128
> just needs cleaned

white ebonics needs to go
>>
>>2802137
Lol this faggot again. No one cares.
>>
>>2802137
Go fuck yourself, faggot.
>>
>>2802138
>>2802140
Hey, be nice. I have some frens in West Virginia. Which holler do you guys hail from?
>>
>>2802207
up in the Tri-Groid Region

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.