[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240517_085812.jpg (3.96 MB, 4640x3472)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB JPG
I don't know why I fuck up ceiling like this.
I manage to get a decent even finish on the walls, but this is what I get with ceilings.

I thought this was good enough yesterday because I only noticed the few spots on the right, but this morning I noticed the edge of the roll marks on the left are kinda visible.

Am I going to be forced to do a third coat or can I just fade out these mistakes somehow?
>>
shot of black. it's a meme but it's how actual painters use ONE FUCKING COAT on a ceiling.

laugh all you like, while OP puts on his 3rd and 4th and 5th coats.
>>
>>2800726
This guy paints.
>>
>>2800683
use a different nap roller when you do that third coat
>>
>>2800726
I'm using a 10L bucket in what proportions should I use it?

>>2800749
I get the feeling the ones i'm using go to shit a bit too fast.
>>
>>2800683
You can only notice it because of the incidence of the light coming in at 90 degrees from the window.
For that, you need a level-5 drywall finish,for openers.
Second, for a ceiling you want the flattest paint you can buy. Eggshell? No way… fuck that. Dead fucking flat. Only thing flatter is popcorn ceilings which disgust me.
You locally sand off any drips or ridges left by the roller. Use a flashlight held up at right angles on the ceiling to see any shadows.
Then go down to the dollar store and get a mini foam roller with rounded corners and with minimal paint, paint over the parts you sanded and try and blend it in.
This is why we use flat, non-glossy paint on the ceiling. Nobody is going to be touching it.
The shot of black people are old copypasta retards.
>>
>>2800869
>You can only notice it because of the incidence of the light coming in at 90 degrees from the window.

Yeah I realized, it's only noticeable in the morning.
But I know it's there so I notice anyway.
I should have skim coated the walls as well but I'm cheaping out because I'm on a budget. Doing the best I can with what I have.
Sanding is doable, I might do that. Thanks.

I guess it looks ok enough so I'll move on to the walls for the moment and if it bugs me I'll fix it.
I'm gonna rent it out anyway.
>>
>>2800683
>jew candles
>>
>>2800907
I'm catholic.
They come from a mountain house my grandafther bought in the '50s after it was.... ahem...
abandoned.
>>
>>2800683
Use an oil base primer, then a ceiling flat. You'll get it in 2 coats. The finish will vary depending on the size roller, the nap, and make sure you use do a proper layoff. All ways keep a wet edge. But lighting is critical to see all this. Get a nice light set they are like 100 bucks or so. High lumens shows everything. Compared to the natural lighting, it won't be a problem.
>>
>>2800899
Sanding latex is difficult, i just put the paper over one finger and sand out the ridge. The sandpaper clogs immediately, it’s literal rubber.
For lighting, I have an extendible pole shoved into a christmas tree stand with a harsh LED mini PAR light I got from goodwill clipped onto the top. $5.
Harsh crappy blueish LEDs are better at seeing flaws for some reason.
When I paint, i paint each load in a crosshatch pattern until there is no roller marks, and until the paint on the roller is almost gone.
I put the paint initially in the center of the area I’m going to paint with that load and feather it out around the edges.
In the tray I tilt the roller and squeeze off the extra paint on one end of the roller, and that’s my “no ridge” side which is on my left if I’m working from left to right.
If need be get on a ladder and do it by hand without a pole.
I cover the ceiling in an “s” pattern, to minimize re-pointing the light.
I find keeping a wet edge unimportant (and nigh well impossible on a big ceiling) but there is a lot of variables involved there.
I use pretty flat rollers.
It’s better to put on two thin coats then try and put on a single thick ass coat.

I just painted a few hundred sq. feet ceiling an hour ago, so it was fresh in my mind.
>>
>>2801487
>Use an oil base primer, then a ceiling flat
I haven't seen any oil primers nor paints specific for ceilings at the store.
I've watched multiple videos on how to do this before starting but the paint simply behaves differently.
It's so thick I can only paint 1 square meter at a time but both the clerks and the instructions say that's ready to go and not to dilute it.
And even when I did it didn't change much.

>>2801527
It's not latex, it's water based paint.
I'm using a similar technique but I always go in the same direction, I found alternating patterns doesn't really do anything.
But it's definitely important to have the final coat parallel with the light source.
>>
>>2801536
The drywall basically drinks the paint. 5gallons of primer will do about 1500 sqft. Then you only need like 1.5 gallons of water based ceiling flat. Any oil primer will do. Kiltz is fine.
>>
>>2800683
Isn't it just easier to crosshatch spray a ceiling?

I'm unfamiliar which directions I'm supposed to be rolling adjacent to windows. Spray also does a nice job of permeating texture.
>>
>>2800683
Pros either thin latex paint with a little bit of water and/or use M1/floetrol paint extender. Those roller marks are from the paint drying too quickly.

If the same marks keep showing up you're fucked because it means the first retard who painted the ceiling didn't prime the ceiling like he was supposed to.
>>
>>2800834
Dude... Shot. Of. Black. Didn't overthink it. Just tell the lady at the paint counter to add a shot of black, she'll know what's up, because she'll know you're a pro.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.