[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.png (24 KB, 749x833)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
I designed a little kitchen shelf that will fill out the gap on the wall. I have all the pieces but i'm not sure how to go about putting it together to keep everything straight. I'm a third worlder scum so i don't own a full blown woodworking shop, only very basic tools.
The plan is to use just wood screws because it's mainly for aesthetics and won't hold much load.
Any tips on how to keep everything in place during assembly?
>>
>>2801058
Glue first, then optionally drive screws in from behind once the glue sets. Glue makes assembly easier and is plenty strong.
>during assembly
If you have absolutely nothing resembling squares, then cut some pieces of wood to square, use cheap clamps to hold the pieces while the glue sets.
>>
>>2801058
Best thing to do if you’re a novice woodworker is to just use dovetails for the outside joints and cut a rabbet by hand for the middle shelf

The high school kid at Lowe’s will help you out here
>>
File: shelv.png (93 KB, 749x833)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>2801102
>Glue first, then optionally drive screws in from behind once the glue sets. Glue makes assembly easier and is plenty strong.
first post and everything about it is wrong. you glue then screw, the screws HOLD the piece while the glue dries. like woodworking 101.

>>2801058
idk what the fuck these guys are on about. your wood is square, you have some way to cut the wood or have it cut implies it's square. you're gonna pick nice straight boards because you're not an asshole or an idiot.

the boards have a width, at the end of the three boards drill a hole in the middle of that width and 3cm from each end. along the back length go 3cm from each end, repeat at 3cm on the front. add a hole midway between.

the holes depend on the wood, if it's fiberboard your drill bit will be 3mm barely big enough to take a screw. if it's pine or other solid wood pick a bit ~1mm smaller than the screw shank. go as deep as the screw less a board width (e.g. the actual depth the screw will go in). Test on a scrap piece from the corner cut to ensure your screw fits tight and doesn't split anything.

now measure (imagine!) identical holes on the back and side boards. drill them to the screw shank size. you can switch to a bit bigger than the head and take out a little divot for the screw heads to counter sink in.

then you run a bead of glue down each shelf edge you're screwing in and attach it with the screws. the glue is honestly not necessary but it will be much stronger. see how the screws hold the wood together and the flat side of the wood against the flat face of the back makes it square because both pieces are flat and square? It's magic!
>>
>>2801150
Nah you just have your 8 year old hold the two pieces of wood together until it’s dry and you yell at him when you can’t drive the screws in because your ryobi you got from your wife on Father’s Day is in reverse and your office job doesn’t require you to build things
>>
>>2801194
>doesn't have a desktop mill at his office job cubicle for personal machining
I swear /diy/ is more disappointing every day.
>>
>>2801194
Also the screws are drywall screws because screws are screws and this construction shit is below you and for those Mexicans and the poors

Real men write emails for a living and know all the excel hot keys

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.