[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1584810245813 (1).jpg (458 KB, 700x700)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
Frankly speaking, is it worth pursuing a career in the Japanese animation industry? It seems like storyboarding, illustration, concept art, and all other art fields have dried up, in terms of work. However, the Japanese animation industry is underemployed and is constantly looking for work, to the point where they will hire translators just so they can work with foreign animators who don't speak Japanese.

I really want to make art a career for myself. I don't see a future for myself in comics or storyboarding, but animation seems like a ripe, open field. Furthermore, I enjoy drawing anime girls, and I really like watching Sakuga Mad videos on youtube. I think animation is about one of the most difficult and noble things you can do with drawing.

Has anyone else had thoughts like this? Is anyone else in the midst of pursuing a Japanese animation career? What's your thoughts on this?
>>
Are you japanese?

If no, then absolutely not. Just go be an english teacher and draw anime shit in your pod apartment if you really must go live in nippon.

If yes, still no, it's a hell industry.
>>
>>7156974
>Is anyone else in the midst of pursuing a Japanese animation career?
omg seek help, dude

I hope you're a troll
>>
have you made a single reel of animation in your life?
>>
>>7156974
The pay is terrible but only if you're a first worlder.
In some 3rd world countries like a few SEA shitholes and Latin America you get paid more drawing animu girls than in most normal jobs.
>>
>>7156990
You don't need a reel for anime
>>
>>7156974
No!
Not at all!
Working in Japan is terrible!
>>
>>7156978
>Are you japanese?
>If no, then absolutely not.

Don't listen to this retard
In the last few years anime studios have been hiring foeign animators all the tim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUnqQk4eOg
>>
>>7157375
how in the fuck would you know?
>>
>>7156974
HEEELLLLOOOOOOOO AAAUUTISTIIIC WEEEEEEB FAAAAGGGOT, ITS TIME TO POST YOUR WORK
>>
>>7156974
大和語を知っていますか?
>>
>>7156974
>animation is one of the most difficult things you can do with drawing
I agree but unlike you i delude myself into thinking that i'm going to make it as a comic artist or a designer or a teacher or something else so that i don't have to be an animation sweatshop worker. With that mentioned i do think you can probably make it in animation as an outsourced animation sweatshop worker but it isn't going to be pretty and i'm not sure it's really worth it in the long run but it's up to you
>>
File: 1658253929034362.jpg (92 KB, 409x387)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>7157440
>大和語
キモい外人。。。
>>
>>7156978
Japan is hiring a ton of gaijin to work in animation now. You don't even need to be fluent in japanese.
>>
>>7157440
>大和語
>>
>>7158114
not for long if the japanese yen continues to be dogshit. There are talks recently that the industry is burning more money than ever outsourcing the animation work to westerners and that if this continues then something has to give. Many are uncertain whether this means having to slash production on seasonal animation works or to cut down on labor (or both)
>>
>>7156978
Why are there so many retards on /ic/ giving advice on things they have zero experience in? Like, this dude is probably struggling through keys to drawing and larping advice on the japanese animation industry like he has 20 years in the field.
>>
i knew a guy that made a career out of it, I think he lived there for a bit but returned to his hometown again, but still working remote. hes pretty famous now but when I ask him about it he always sounds very exhausted

btw I dont understand why japanese studios arent using ML to draw inbetweens, they rotoscoping and 3d already so wouldnt make any differnence in that sense
>>
>>7156974
>>7157395

I knew this girl in highschool, I remember one time I was talking to her and she said I should be an animator but I told her I could never do it. She said "You like drawing, right? Then it should be easy". In 10th grade she spent over a thousand hours on an animation for class and it's what inspired me to take art seriously back then, it's already been 9 years.....
>>
if you want to do animation in Japan...take up game animation. Pays better. Much less crunch. (but there's still crunch.)
>>
>>7159744
...but I like anime :(
>>
>>7159744
>>7159498
>>7158290
>>7158251
>>7158185
>>7158123
>>7158114
>>7157557
>>7157472
>>7157440
>>7157412
>>7157408
>>7157395
>>7157375
>>7157181
>>7157027
>>7156981
>>7156974
All this discussion for a faggot who couldnt draw an authentic looking japanese style cartoon to save his life
>>
>>7159751
I can draw much better than you, and I know you seethe about it every day, which makes me happy
>>
>>7159754
uhh no
>>
bump
>>
>>7159754
You have delusions about becoming a professional animator and you aren't even confident enough to post your work
>>
File: IMG_3761.jpg (90 KB, 676x486)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Reminder than this steaming pile of shit was a co-production between Japan and Canadian alphabet people.
A lot of bad bad anime is being released as a result of westerners being able to participate in the industry.
Maybe you could be the one to save it
>>
>>7162222
This is a yoshinari board, cunt, keep walking.
>>
>>7162241
Keep dickriding his wrinkly dickless lap and drinking his mediocre plagiarized output
>>
It depends on what you mean by worth it, its a lot of work. A lot of work to get in and then even more work when you're in. Living in japan is nice but it's not for everyone. Try and get N2 japanese to help you out. It's rough, I go to vocational school for anime illustration, my tutor was telling me about someone in the anime department who's fingers were bleeding the other day
>>
>>7162492
wow, pyw
>>
>>7162492
If I want to live in Japan as an artist, and if that's my sole goal, should I go for game artists / designer positions instead? Are there company jobs for illustrators? Concept Artists?
>>
>>7163112
There are company jobs for illustrators and concept artists but it's really hard to get them. Also you need N1 japanese, I don't know for sure without asking but I get the impression the animation industry is more desperate.

There is a severe lack of ui artists in the game industry however if just any creative job will do
>>
>>7163126
Honestly, I don't mind the 14 hour days holed up in an animation studio. The only thing I want is to be able to support myself, and it seems like freelance animation doesn't even allow that. There was that one girl who worked 8 hours on a 10 second cut for $17, and there's also YenYen who lives with his mom, despite being in the top 0.001% of animators worldwide.

The question is, is it possible for foreigners to apply for fulltime key animator jobs from overseas? Like will the company work to get you a work visa and help you move, or is that just not a thing? Will I have to take the Dong Chang strategy and just move to Japan before applying to jobs? (Like screenwriters / actors who move to LA first, before finding work) And of course, this is granted the applicant has a fully professional level of Japanese
>>
>>7162509
I am ngmi honestly
>>
>>7163130
Some companies will sponsor your visa and help you move here, it's worth looking around. Not sure there's many that will do that for animation though.

Consider moving here first, either on working holiday visa or student visa at a vocational or language school to brush up your japanese.

I don't know much about salaries in the animation industry but remember that rent and food here is just as cheap as the salaries are
>>
>>7162509
>>7163131
The blind leading the blind here. That's the problem with this board
>>
>>7163335
Well I am here, so I can tell you what I've learned from this so you don't repeat my mistakes
>>
>>7156974
Just learn the language and have a portfolio. Then get ready to make pennies.
>>
>>7156974
>>7163407
Also, you can go to Twitter, because a lot of animators who speak English and work in the industry are there sharing their experiences. Some are also on YT.
>>
>>7163407
>>7163408
those just depress me. They're all neets who live with their parents, even the best of them. There are foreign animators who draw better than the episode directors and character designers in Japan, but they still can't support themselves with freelance animation wages
>>
>>7156974
You want to be an animator but have never animated?

My friend, you don't want to be an animator. You're a larper who likes the idea of doing something more than acually doing it.

I would suggest finding a job that will make you money that rewards a set of skills you already have. Anything else will cause serious burnout over a fantasy.
>>
>>7163585
>You want to be an animator but have never animated?
>My friend, you don't want to be an animator.
is animation really that 苦しい?
>>
>>7165356
>>7163585
>>7163412
>>7163408
>>7163407
>>7163356
>>7163335
>>7163133
>>7163131
>>7163130
>>7163126
>>7163112
>>7162509
>>7162492
>>7162452
>>7162241
>>7162222
all this discussion for a weeb autist who can't draw, let alone animate. Lel
>>
bump
>>
>>7158290
>I dont understand why japanese studios arent using ML to draw inbetweens
tha'ts an awful idea aside from removing one of the few entry level jobs in the already over competitive animation field, there's a lot of intent in inbetweens that need a humans touch
>>
>>7167237
Do inbetweeners really have such creativity? I thought they just filled things in
>>
>>7167238
they obviously cant drastically change a drawing but theres stuff to consider with such as how it affects timing, or maybe you want to use a smear before snapping to the next pose or maybe you want your exaggerated to pose to linger a bit before transitioning back to a normal one or maybe you want multiple exaggerated poses in between your keyposes theres a lot to consider withing the task that your given. ML is both too uniform and inconsistent to work for inbetweens we already see with 60fps interloped stuff that it sucks for timing and it wouldn't be able to keep the drawing consistent with each frame

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.