[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: donkey kong country 3.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
dkc 3's haters are full of shit. the game is far from being even bad
played it years ago and had lot of fun, the stages were unique (just like previous dkcs) but so were the bosses, way more challenging, and the bonus stages, way more fun. the extras were very cool, not only there was your typical extra world (and a hard one) but also there were these things called banana birds, all super fresh and cool. Collecting them all felt solemn
now I'm play the gba because I wanted to hear the new music, and fuck, it even has more mini-games and stuff than the snes version!!
both are gorgeous game, they offer more replayability, challenge, and aren't linear

there is literally nothing bad with this game. it is childish compared to the serious ones? perhaps, and it's also more fun, lively and charmful. that doesn't mean it doesn't have creepy, dark, majestic things
>>
>>10908986
I generally like the additions to the GBA remakes of the DKC trilogy, the added map, story and mini games even if small made it feel like a more complete game. I kinda wish DKC1 GBA also included some of the extra exclusive stuff from DKC1 GBC.
>to hear the new music
I actually prefer the original music. I know DKC3 GBA has the same composer from DKC1/2 but the new music doesn't fit, it feels like it was made in a different era because it was and in general not his best work anymore, the level themes just hit better with the snes DKC3 soundtrack.
>>
>>10909074
i'm a musicfag so it was a MUST, it was mandatory that I had to play this version one day

of course I have my own thoughts. I'm 27% intro the game currently so I haven't heard anything. even so, yes, feels weird. some are gorgeous, some don't fit, and there are some I miss
https://youtu.be/EnICVFQrTWA?si=c-tBUNtBjFVUctNn

objectively speaking, I'd say the og ost is the best since it fits the game. personally, I'm thankful both exist. this is almost some sonic cd dilemma shit right here yo
>>
>>10908986
>Remake or Rebreak
I like EPG, but he comes off like a smartass know-it-all sometimes in his reviews. I'd say his best one was OoT since he's probably 1 of very FEW e-celebs that critiqued OoT fairly.
>>
>>10909098
literally who
>>
>>10909098
Shit like this is why using youtube thumbnails on /vr/ should be a bannable offense
>>
funny how people hate dkc3 for being "gimmicky" but will suck yoshi's island's dick despite being a far worse offender.
>>
>>10908986
Dog shit game with zero good levels.
>>
>>10910247
this
replayed yoshi island years ago and god, there was a point where I just wanted it to be over. didn't bother to find secret shit, collect stuff or anything like that. I just wanted it to be over
seriously, the game fucking expects you to collect all 30 stars/flowers/whatever in one-go?? fuck them
>>
>>10908986
The only thing I genuinely hate is having to rush through it to get the last bit of percentage. Forcing time trials as a condition for full completion is always a negative sticking point for me, even if the rest of the game is great.
>>
>>10910178
ExoParadigmGamer. He's like a Zoomer that posts on /vr/ and respects the hobby.
Also he's niche e-celeb who reviews 'tendo games and partly to blame for fueling the "Banjo Tooie's too big" discourse.
>>
>Bad music
>Missing sound effects
>Middling levels
>Ugly 3D and character designs
DKC3 is "okay".
It gets shit on because it's the inferior sequel of a nearly perfect game and was released on a console whose successor was already out.
>>
>>10910431
(You) are bad music
>>
>>10910431
aside from the first level it's full of bangers, acquire taste
https://youtu.be/1BvfXAHz79w?feature=shared
https://youtu.be/CvCTEZBeWak?feature=shared
https://youtu.be/MXfH52txqVM?feature=shared
https://youtu.be/l6HS-1aJCwI?feature=shared
https://youtu.be/QeDIMY7LM58?feature=shared
>>
>>10909074
>I know DKC3 GBA has the same composer from DKC1/2 but
Eveline's one of DKC1's co-composers. She's one of the OGs and doesn't get enough respect. She and Wise basically traded places for DKC3, because he did a handful of jingles in the SNES version as well.
>>
>>10908986
DKC3 one of those cases where something isn't as good as something else in the same series so retarded tribalist that are only able to think in extremes declare it unplayable shit in order to further prop up their favorite.

The true red pill is that DKC1 is overrated and the second half of the game sucks with how insta death pit and barrel shooting spam heavy it is.
>>
>>10910382
Huh? I don't recall any time trials in DKC3 beyond Riverside Race, and that's just for a Banana Bird. And getting 105% only requires completing everything in TUFST mode.
>>
>>10911317
i meh at how short dkc1 is. it literally takes a single one afternoon sitting to beat it, and maybe 1 or 2 hours more from another day, and that's all

last time I sat through 1:30pm to about 5pm, and was on the last world, turned it off just to rest and continue the day after. it really is short
>>
>>10911194
hey, 1st level deserves love. it sets the mood. it's funny, very funny sounding, from the tubas(?) at the background, and the little catchy fast-peaced "solo". it's a song with many funny parts
https://youtu.be/tl77e1vinIw?si=YgojzNKtALA94RI0
mama bird is peak kino mindblowing and a 11/10
https://youtu.be/zz-ElWhmp34?si=RhTlS_CZrlY7sViv
but you know what I also miss as I'm playing the gba version, or mostly, the one I actually hum and think about the most when on the bus, doing something else but is stuck in my head??? JANGLE BELLS. it's one of the happiest shit I ever heard
https://youtu.be/Aiz03QKgKCk?si=03dz96H1Mr0JvAmt
>>
what about tropical freeze
>>
>>10908986
DKC 3 is a fine game. It's just it was coming off an incredible game in DKC 2 that it was always going to find it hard to beat those expectations. They took a lot of wild swings and not everything worked out. There's a few bad level gimmicks like Poison Pipeline and a few that needed fine tuned like Lightning Lookout. And it's not as polished as DKC 1 and 2 because the collision detection is a bit "Off" and the sound effects cut out a lot. But it's a solid 8/10 game. Just pales in comparison to the 10/10 before it.
>>
I always thought the Snes music was great and the GBA change was a mistake, but I never was a fan of DKC2 and preferred 3.

The usual reply I get ranges between "kys" and straight getting banned, but I stopped giving a fuck a long time ago.
>>
DKC3 on gba had no icon or indicator (! on snes) to let you know if you found all of the B coins in a certain stage.
>>
my complaint about the sequels are they dont include donkey kong I want to play as fucking DK. I dont give a shit about some little girl sure the helicopter hair is an ok mechanic but I want my DK damn it. apart from that they aight
>>
>>10914361
I've always thought the SNES music was fine and 3 is my favorite of the trilogy, so I'm with you
>>
>>10915417
FUCK
I was checking the whenever I cleared a stage, checking if I saw anything that could tell me that, only I just didn't remember what was supposed to be there

>>10915428
>waa muh favourite DK
fuck you, he is just another character. realistically speaking everybody plays with diddy or dixie. the couple. donkey kong is just brawls. stop pretending he is fucking big on charms
>>
>>10908986
I played the gba version first, I prefer it to snes version.
>>
>>10915417
>>10915447
Doesn't the GBA version still use the flags as clear markers? If the flag's blowing at full wind, it means you found all the Bonus Coins, and a yellow streamer is added if you also got the DK Coin.
>>
>>10908986
yeah dkc3 was solid, i played that one a lot for a while back in the day.
the only thing i really didn't like about the game was the baby character, but i didn't mind since dixie was in it too.
>>
>replaces cool kong with a retarded baby
>replaces the other cool kong with a girlboss
Yeah, it's shit. Fuck you for trying to gaslight me.
>>
>>10916002
>girlboss
Oh you're braindead
>>
>>10908986
I hope one day I can find a game nobody gives a shit about like you and latch on to it, making endless damage control threads for it, even though nobody feels that strongly for or against it. Seems like an awesome use of my time and board space.
Excelsior!
>>
>>10916123
Why are you so randomly butthurt
>>
>>10915983
>If the flag's blowing at full wind, it means you found all the Bonus Coins

That, I did not notice. I remember playing it and seeing I was missing one after clearing all of the regions, looking for the ! icon. The yellow flags are for the DK koins.
>>
The GBA versions are all completely inferior. Wish people would stop suggesting these as serious options.
>>
>>10916506
They're praised by those whose first exposure to the trilogy were on handheld.
>>
>>10915994
me and my brother found it funny whenever he threw a tantrum. we just happened to have watched 2003 hulk few months ago when I played dkc3. we foud it very funny because it reminded us of this
https://youtu.be/DIGGyidGagA?si=IoX-pw0JpVt0DYn1
4:13
>>
>>10916543
Only GBA fags do this, though. Literally no one tells people they should play Donkey Kong Land 2 instead of Donkey Kong Country 2. And I'd rather play Land than any of the GBA games, as it has better graphics and music.
>>
>>10918618
I agree. The snes originals are better in every way. Although, it's worth checking out DKC3 on GBA due to the changes. DKC2 isn't better.
>>
https://youtu.be/95HuSMQSUVo?si=wi9B7oWRGYhcfhVS
https://youtu.be/gEUv22jBUtY?si=urfl7nKWaTjbnm7a
>>
From someone who would rank DKC2 as one of the best 2d platformers of all time, DKC 3 is average at best and definitely the worst of the original series. It’s not the worst game I’ce ever played but its a noticeable step down in a lot of ways. The level design taking a big hit is the biggest factor. Its kinda sloppy. Feels like they were learning. Whoever made these levels just wasn’t quite as talented as the peson or people who designed them in DKC1 and especially DKC2. Probably Greg Mayles, who was busy making Banjo at the time.

In DKC2 almost every level had a gimmick or a twist to it. DKC3 tries to be the same way but the gimmicks are less engaging in my opinion. Less creative and more annoying. If you read the credits it becomes obvious that Rare put the B-team on this project while the A-team was working on n64 titles.

Kiddy Kong is a terrible character. One of the all-time worst and cringiest. The whole 90s baby thing never really worked ever in my opinion. Dixie’s still cool though. Changing the enemy designs to all look stupider was a bad move. They switched out Rambi for a stupid fucking elephant. This art and character stuff is subjective, but I did not like it.

Canada is an ok setting, but a lot of the levels looked the same. In DKC2 you could go from a castle to a beehive to a bayou, while 3 was mostly Canada forest or snow.

The new open world concept level select was fine, I could take it or leave it. The Simon Says game is the blandest of bland filler. Of course any composer that isn’t David Wise is gonna sound really bad in comparison, the DKC2 soundtrack is one of the best ever.

The saving grace of DKC3 would be that it has the best boss fights of the original series. Most of them are pretty fun and a few feel inventive in the way DKC2 levels felt.

I’d recommend the Donkey Kong Land games. They’re surprisingly good. I liked the precise and sometimes diffiucult platforming of DKL1 enough that I’d rank it higher than DKC3.
>>
>>10912927
that's because you're good at it now
>>
>>10922420
nah, i played it 2 or 3 times, along with dkc 2 and 3. last time, dkc 1 took 1 afternoon and a half, and the later took about a week. I play them all as I play any of them. if it took me less then yeah, it's short
of course, I'm not counting the bonus levels. in dkc1, bonus levels are irrelevant so I don't bother with them. you gain nothing relevant from them so they don't count and the game is over the moment you beat the final boss, no extra world no nothing, the game ends there
and it's not as hard as later games. I just run, jump jump, run, jump here, jump there, continue running, and boom, already at the final world in mere hours
>>
>>10908986
The Internet including 4chan (especially 4chan actually) is a place of extremes. People here are braindead enough to think unless something is the peak of the genre or series then it's worthless
>>
On a whim I decided to complete everything in DKC1, then I finished completing everything in DKC2 yesterday (102% on hard mode, all KONG letters, etc).
I came to /vr/ for the first time hoping for a DK thread, and hey, here's a DKC3 one, perfect

The only thing I remember about DKC3 is getting assblasted by an underwater level with flipped controls 20+ years ago. Is it as hard as I remember, will I suffer trying to get through it on super hard mode (TUFST?)
>>
>>10923705
3 is my favorite, but I agree with some of what >>10921263 said. The odd level design has some annoyances. For example, there appears to be a fascination with tight spaces and the koindozer kremling makes no sense. They brought back the "moody" atmosphere of the first game with the whole forest vibe and Eveline Fischer tracks, which was my favorite. But the banana bird part of the plot made no sense and was fucking stupid. However, you need to complete that to 100% the gsme.
>>
>>10924121
I'm only about an hour or two in so far, playing slowly and searching for all the bonuses, and so far it seems fairly tame difficulty wise, but yeah I think I'd agree with some others in this thread that it does feel like a step down from DKC2.
... mostly because of Kiddy. Kiddy just feels like a shittier Donky, he's slow, clunky, and obviously he looks stupid.

I just keep thinking how much better this game would feel if I was still playing as Diddy and Dixie. Give me back my Diddy!
>>
>>10924137
Kiddy as a character is stupid, but he's got some uses: he can roll-jump on water to reach secrets and he can break cracked wooden surfaces when tossed by Dixie. Not that there's much opportunity to make use of his abilities, unfortunately.
>>
I liked dkc 1 2 and 3 but returns was sorta gay, never played returns 2.
>>
>>10908986
>remake
But that's a port.
>>
>>10924672
The GBA games are very different, not just graphically, but in gameplay (altered levels, entirely new levels, extra mechanics/collectables)
>>
>>10923705
The level you described is fun.
>>
File: NU64.jpg (31 KB, 480x360)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>visit wrinkly kong
>she's playing the N64, and Mario 64's music is playing

Anyone who hates DK3 is a demon. It's pure soul. I love this easter egg because it represents an amazing sense of optimism and solidarity between developers at the time. Video games and the future were so exciting back then. And yes, it's still one of the best 16-bit games of all time, even without sentimentality.
>>
Nobody wants to play as a baby unless it is like a Rugrats game
>>
dkc3 is very underwhelming for many people who are fans of 1 & 2
when will you get over it
>>
>>10926032
It probably will be fun now, it sure wasn't when I was a dumbass kid though
Also, until a few days ago I was certain I had never played DKC3 before. Like I said I recently played through DKC1 again, I was waiting for that swimming level that's seared into my brain to come up. It wasn't there, so I went onto DKC2, it wasn't there either. So shit, I guess I did play DKC3

It's weird, that was basically the only thing I remembered from the game, so I thought it must have been in DKC1 or 2. Some things are coming back though, like the tree-saw level, that's fucking awesome, and the cool DK coin + barrel puzzle gimmick.

>>10926446
The game is growing on me as I play it, but that N64 thing you mentioned also kind of nails in how antiquated it kind of is, it's more of the same while the N64 is now out
>>
>>10923705
>>10926605
op here

i feel you. dkc3 did have a hard as fuck water level. dont remember which since I didnt reach yet, but yeah, it does have very hard, LONG water levels (long, because thats what makes them hard the most)
>>
>>10923705
>not even two days later
>it's 2am
>managed to beat that level, Poisonous Pipeline, second try, getting all the bonuses + KONG letters + the DK Coin along the way
>on TUFST difficulty (no checkpoints or DK barrels)
Well I'm glad that's that piece of childhood trauma resolved. I think kid-me must have really struggled to grasp the concept of "right = left", that wasn't a bad level at all

>>10924173
Nearing the end, I have had two(2) instances where I have needed to do the water jump mechanic, and I have only noticed two floor breaks too
You were right, there really wasn't much opportunity to use Kiddy's abilities
>>
>>10928281
oh, and that one failed attempt was only because it turns out a KONG letter is inaccessible as Enguarde, so I had to purposefully die.
So kinda first try actually
>>
>>10908986
It's a fine game. Didn't read your post sry. It's comfy and has a nice assthetic. Harder to 100%.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.