[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's something you DON'T miss about the retro era and are glad is basically dead and gone at this point?
For me, it was games needing you to buy separate, usually not very cheap components that didn't come with the system itself, for the full experience.
>>
passwords
>>
tbf, the rumble pak came included with SF64, a game basically every kid with an N64 ended up getting. You were only SOL there if you bought a used copy from like Blockbuster or something.
>>
disk swapping hell, especially when a game could come on 6 disks and you only had 1 disk drive
>>
File: am I a clown.jpg (72 KB, 1044x783)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>10943520
>different areas of the game were on different disks so you would swap based on location rather than story progress
>>
PAL conversions. 50hz, black borders, fucked aspect ratio, up to 20% slower game.
>>
>>10943502
The minefield that was PC hardware and software compatibility back in the 90's.
>>
bad graphics
>>
>>10943531
On that note: needing dedicated sound cards
>>
>>10943528
This is why I don't bother with real hardware and just emulate everything
>>
>>10943526
yeah really annoying. you get the impression the programmers were running the game off machines with expensive hard drives so had no idea how bad the swapping was
>>
>>10943526
Riven was like that. One disk per island, so you had to think long and hard before changing island. You got a nice rollercoaster animation though, which was nice.
>>
>>10943543
I assume that in cases like Monkey Island 2 which I'm PRETTY SURE used a different disk for each of the 3 islands, I might be wrong there don't quote me on that, they assumed people won't sail between islands super often and thus disk-swapping wouldn't be as big of an issue.
The PROBLEM with this is like over half of the puzzles in the game require travelling to all 3 islands in order to do all the steps to solve it which can be very tedious if you aren't doing a bunch of puzzles in one go.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Having to buy disposable batteries (or scavenge them from TV remotes and such) over and over for handhelds. Rechargeable batteries r0xx0rz
>>
>>10943587
Being able to just plug your handheld into the outlet is an objective improvement I agree, though they don't have anywhere near the battery life the disposables did (except on Game Gear because that motherfucker ate batteries for lunch)
>>
>>10943502
I hate rumble and controller vibration and will turn it off in any game that lets me.
>>
>>10943710
This. It also drains the battery faster with wireless controllers.
>>
CRTs high pitched sound. Boomers probably don’t hear it anymore, but I can.
>>
>>10943767
I can still hear it. That or it's tinnitus.
>>
>>10943774
If you start hearing it immediately as your power on your CRT, it’s not tinnitus (or not JUST tinnitus, as I have slight one…)
>>
>>10943767
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, and after more than 15 years without a CRT, I'm worried about not being able to hear that electrical hum anymore.

Fucking old age.
>>
>>10943812
Yeah, I remember getting a CRT after 10 years of not using them and thinking "wow, I forgot it was even a thing"
>>
Awful voice acting when Japanese games were dubbed. So glad undub hacks exist these days. Makes many games much more playable.
>>
interlaced output
>>
All right, a few more things that I can remember:

- Midi port PC gamepads. 6 buttons but windows does not support more than 4 without a driver (that was not included. Button order not being standard and the game not letting you remap it, so you have to deal with the weirdest layouts
- Anticopy deciding that your original CD is not original because you have a very good cd drive.
- Interlaced FMVs from console game turning into black lines in PC versions (Tomb Raider, D, Bug Too, etc)
- Games that require 590kb of EMS memory to run and lacking the knowledge to configure things.
- Accidentally pressing the Windows key while playing an MS-DOS game on W95 or 98. Hello, audio only black screen.

>>10943520
>disk swapping hell
At least Under a Killing Moon was designed to use multiple CD drives and minimize disc swapping, but few games bothered to do something like that.
>>
File: 1691889779334344.gif (1.58 MB, 400x226)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB GIF
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but, "special videogame coverage".
You know, as in, magazines and tv shows that existed only to promote videogames.

I know a lot of people have nostalgia for those, but I don't.
I bought a lot of terrible games back then because the news made them look way better than what they really were.
>It's the same shit with today's Internet
Quite, but not really
In current year you can just check multiple sources of information by yourself, and fast
Back in the day, however, you had no other option but to trust blindly to whatever news outlet, or autistically dedicated special forum you could find
Not to mention, the sheer loading time of some webpages was terrible, too

We have other blights today, like those faggots who upload the entire game on Youtube, spoilers included, on the very same day it came out, but, hey, at least those work like a double blade sword, so to speak
I'll take those anytime over those shill magazines
>>
>>10943863
It's wierd going back to Computer Gaming World/EGM and realing "my god, these people were completely bought and sold by the companies".
Because I trusted a lot of reviews from back then
>>
>>10943863
It was always a double-edged sword. On one hand, shit was way less divisive when everyone got their news from one source and people just inherently trusted that trusted that source because it's all they had to work with. On the other hand well...you know what they said about Pravda in the USSR.
>In Pravda (Truth) there is no news (Izvestya). In Izvestya (News) there is no truth (Pravda)
>>
>>10943863
>Not to mention, the sheer loading time of some webpages was terrible, too

I do remember that back then web browsers had a setting to browse without images, and sooner or latter you would have to use it.
>>
>>10943882
>netscape
Man that's something I don't fucking miss
>>
>>10943885
Yep. Sorry about the non-english version. Something I installed from a 1997 cd that came from a magazine, vs the final mozilla suite version. Image load on click exists on Netscape, but on Mozilla it was moved to the privacy settings and works differently.
>>
>>10943526
I read that in joe pescis voice
>>
>>10943895
>Sorry about the non-english version.
I honestly didn't even notice it, I just saw the netscape boat wheel.
>>
File: DqwZ.gif (649 KB, 343x257)
649 KB
649 KB GIF
>>10943532
lmao
>>
>>10943767
I've never heard any high-pitched sound from CRT TVs.
>>
>>10943502
memory cards. I had four GameCube memory cards and that still wasn't enough, you could only have like five games on one card. and the more times you pulled them in and out, the more chance they corrupt on you. Saturn was the worst because a lot of games didn't even support the memory card.
>>
>>10943896
Same
>>
>battery saves that rot and an hero themselves in 15-20 years
And
>putting up with fuckawful english dubs instead of just patching them out for og jp dubs aka undub
>>
>>10943879
A Pravda toilet paper user by any chance?
>>
>>10944841
Agreed, memory cards are still a chore. I got 1 for DC and a sd adapter to back them up, then like 8 PS1/2 memory cards, but I've started saving to my HDD on PS2 recently which helps. I only have one 64 memory pack, but also have an everdrive so that helps too. The Saturn is really the biggest problem besides the laundry list I just typed up for you. I have a pseudo Saturn for both playing backups and as a 4mb cart for my real discs and just got one of those saroo things but haven't had a chance to test it out. All in all it's a headache and emulating things is more time consuming and soothing, but I have to admit... I enjoy using real hardware and that's why I bother in the first place.
>>
>>10944892
Less time consuming*
>>
>>10943502
Timers, invicible moving wall and its killing variant.
Hated this shit and still hate it.
>>
>>10943536
>On that note: needing dedicated sound cards
Don't worry, thanks to gayple we to to degree returned to that, thankfully its only phonefag problem.
>>
>>10943502
>What's something you DON'T miss about the retro era and are glad is basically dead and gone at this point?
Primitive BIOS. I have several old laptops; on the oldest, you can't boot off CD (you need a diskette, good luck finding any in this day and age). On another one, you can't boot off USB. Makes reinstalling OS an annoying chore.
>>
>>10943502
Paid DLC and pay walls are the spiritual successor
>>
>>10943860
>EMS memory
The DOS memory situation was total bollocks and I remember my brother screwing it up so bad it had to go to the shop to get fixed. Now they just fix themselves.
>>
>>10943860
>- Games that require 590kb of EMS memory to run and lacking the knowledge to configure things.
I remember running MemMaker whenever I needed to tweak RAM pools. During the config steps, it asked you whether you needed to switch to EMS.
>>
>>10943512
Nobody in my class or my circle of friends had Lylat Wars
still most bought a rumble pack
>>
>>10943503
I actually miss passwords. They're a nice way to continue your progress on different machines without needing to transfer files or rely on cloud saves, and they make recovering your progress easy in the event you accidentally delete your save file or something.
The average game nowadays has way too many moving parts to have a reasonable password that tracks everything, but I wish they weren't completely gone in indie throwbacks.
>>
>>10943863
demo cd, demo kiosks and friends. You never had to blindly trust magazines
>>
File: 71TRiN+qmuL.jpg (186 KB, 1922x1922)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>10943502
Handheld screens without backlighting
>>
>>10943503
I don't know passwords had some merit as they let you easily play from any point in the game for practice. The only issue is those long passwords with characters that are hard to tell apart like the YS games on the pc engine or metroid 1.
>>
>>10945248
Depends on the complexity of the password really.
Games like castlevania bloodlines or the nes mega man games have simple ones that I don't mind really.
Then there is some questionable stuff like phantom 2040 that has a 24 character password (on the genesis, snes is 48 chars for some reason) but at still manageable since it sticks to just uppercase letters and some digits.
And then there is just pure bullshit like Battle of olympus, faxanadu or river city ransom
>>
File: 20240519_123841_2.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>10944849
There's an extra level of shit on top of battery saves: The battery being soldered and not user replaceable.
It was hit or miss. I have Cartriges like Adventure of Link or Link's awakening that are still fully functional, and both FFVI (Ok, III) and Chrono Trigger being closer to coasters.

I was happy when PlayStation arrived because savegames were finally not being held hostage inside the cartridge and even if memory cards were unreliable, I could back them up (unfortunately i stored them on an equally unreliable floppy because I was a fucking retard). Now with Switch and PS5 we are back to the saves inside the console, no option to copy them to a pendrive.
>>
>>10945292
If you want to see some nasty shit, check the Password input system for Snes Drsgons Lair. Entering passwords was made difficult on purpose so that novice players would not be able to skip ahead even if they knew the passwords.

Magazines at the time described it as "It's faster and easier to play the game from scratch than to enter the password ". Sounds like it was designed to fuck with game rentals.
http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/manuals/super_nes/dragons_lair.shtml
>>
There is a lot of things I'm nostalgic about but not much that I could confidently say that I actually miss. Modern hardware and software is more often than not truly fucking amazing. I mean not only we can emulate literally all the retro systems on these stupid cheap magic glass tablets that everyone carries in their pockets, you can even emulate the hardware on real fucking hardware. On top of that you can just order whatever modern recreations of old peripherals to play with delivered straight to your door in a day or two. People in the 90's would have not been able to fucking comprehend the shit we take for granted.
>>
>>10943502
Passwords and especially the thing in old shmups where you're completely disarmed after death, like I'm fine with being de-leveled or straight up having a game over but taking away everything and having to deal with near-impossible odds now, makes the entire lives mechanic pointless
>>
>>10943587
this was 75% of the experience of playing the Wii
>>
>>10945367
> People in the 90's would have not been able to fucking comprehend the shit we take for granted.

I was a nineties kid, and it's not like we were in the victorian era. But to clarify, emulator broke my fucking mind. I has tried Spectrum emulation and the earliest arcade emulations, but in 1997 Genecyst, Callus and Neorage broke my fucking mind. The concept of suddenly being able to play every arcade game, every 16 bit game I could never afford. What was only a dream became a fucking reality. Then Nintendo 64 emulation with UltraHLE happened.

I saw the things we take for granted happen:
- Moving from battery saves and memory cards to Hard drive storage (on console)
- Connecting to internet and downloading savegames (Dreamcast)
- SVGA "HD" 640x480 graphics through VGA out on a console (Dreamcast. It also involved seeing raw pixels on a fighting game for the first time due using a monitor instead of a PC
- Seeing Gameboy evolve from green, to improved pocket and color screens, then to backlight with SP
- Surviving the era of overpriced nintendo cartridges (RE2 on N64) to see Steam and 90% sales.

What I fucking can't comprehend is how we had a golden era of usability, and now we are going back to a new dark age with modern consoles becoming progressively shittier and user unfriendly again.
>>
>>10943587
Rechargeable batteries were a thing back then too.
>>
>>10945496
640x480 is VGA, not SVGA. SVGA is 800x600
If you played PC games instead of console you could have gone played 1024x768 kino though
>>
>>10945796
>choice of being at a deficit of 0.3v/cell at full charge or having a battery pack that sticks out of the back of your handheld

NiCd was shit.
>>
>>10945864
>being at a deficit of 0.3v/cell at full charge
Why is that an issue?
>>
>>10943587
I actually like this now, we are not having to deal with exploding li cells in older gameboys and such.
I got into an argument with some zoomer at a game store who insisted that gameboy only ran on batteries and ac adaptors were not a thing.
>>
>>10943503
The annoying thing about passwords is the ones that are 16-letters long and take forever to enter. Doom 64 had a password system like this. Nintendo was still using those ridiculously long passwords all the way to the N64.
>>
>>10943502
batteries inside cartridges dying and needing replaced
>>
I think the only thing I don't miss, that truly offered absolutely zero advantage to the end consumer, was everyone's fucking proprietary video cables.

Say what you want about the HDMI standard, but at least literally everything supports it and uses the same cables. Meanwhile I have this shelf with like 30 video cables in it because every other retro console has its own special snowflake connector that's only different for the sake of not being compatible with anything else.
>>
>>10945873
You need five fully-charged nickel-cadmium batteries to equal the voltage of four new alkaline batteries.
>>
>>10946252
In a practical sense I mean. A Game Boy will still run just fine off 4 Ni-Cd AAs.
>>
>>10943502
I like pretty much every aspect of retro games except corded controllers. I'll gladly add 3ms lag to my inputs to not have to put up with a cord.
>>
>>10944841
I'm not going to say that I HATE memory cards, but yes an internal memory system on the console is inherently better outside of situations where you're bringing your card over to a friend's place and not the system itself.
>>
>>10945276
The sad part is, the Game Gear showed that even back then they knew how to do it. It just ate battery life like a motherfucker and would be more expensive to produce.
>>
>>10945294
Golden Sun's save transfer password was 255 characters if you wanted to carry over EVERYTHING.
>>
>>10945496
>But to clarify, emulator broke my fucking mind.
It kinda broke everyone's mind. When you're told as a kid that you can play games from consoles on your computer, and get this, NOT HAVE TO BUY IT, it was like your brain unlocked some hidden lovecraftian knowledge man was not meant to know because you can never un-know this.
>>
>>10946373
unless you're a speedrunner or you're doing combo cancelling in a fighting game, you're not going to notice a 3ms delay anyway
>>
>>10945806
Huh. I had forgoten about that, thanks. As kids, we ended using "vga" when referring to games running at 320x200" and "supervga" for stuff running at 640x480. "I need a SuperVGA card to play Little Big Adventure" or "Curse of Monkey Island is finally SVGA".

It's weird how it has stuck with me for so long that I still keep making the same mistake.
>>
>>10943502
>What's something you DON'T miss about the retro era
"Just fuck my shit up"-tier copy protection. I'm leery of downloading WW2 Frontline Command because the ISO contains Starforce, which can mess with your system if you have a virtual drive. I have a period-appropriate WinXP laptop, but I really don't want to risk that shit, because I have MagicISO on it.
>>
>>10946106
Nintendo used to be good about that. I recall having a single cable from my N64 back in the day that could also work with the SNES and GCN. Its how I would swap games as a teen- just unplug the video-audio output from one and plug it into the other. Same for the charging cable for the Original DS- it's charging port was the same as the GBA-SP.
>>
>>10944841
>>10946390
What I came to hate was the combination of a) Dividing the storage in blocks and b)games that did not respect your storage space.

Gran Turismo took almost half of the 15 blocks in one memory card, and when you are kid, not even the third party cards come cheap. The situation with Animal Crossing for GC was so insane that it came with its own memory card.

I was glad when Dreamcast divided the space in 200 blocks, so games would not take more space than they required with a 15 block division. Then PS2 finally got it right with using megabytes. Not sure if I am remembering it right, but I believe Astro's Playroom poked fun at how PS2 cards were finally reliable compared to PSone
>>
>>10946475
But I think the point is that they could have been just standard rca for video and maybe even some barrel jack for the charger. It's honestly not something I blame the manufacturers for. I can see there being benefits for the manufacturers to have proprietry ports when the standard ones were maybe too simple or just not fit for their needs.
Also sony used the same av cables up to ps3.
>>
>>10946475
I have the official RF cable for Gamecube, and the product code indicates it's the N64 RF modulator, repackaged. The "T" adapter part for splitting the console and TV RF signals still works with Snes and Nes.

If only they could do the same with the charging cables. After GBA and DS, things started getting messy.
>>
File: nes101-wallpaper-3.jpg (167 KB, 1024x683)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>10946491
As annoying as it is, the only time Nintendo had RCA connectors on a console was with the Nes, and that's before they developed their AV Connector. It was pretty sad to see that the top loader nes was RF only like the original famicom, while the japanese version gained the AV out.

That's one of the things that I don't miss. Gamecube and Wii lost the video out for component / digital in the final revisions, but at least nobody will remove the hdmi now.
>>
Imo PS1 memory cards were fine. 15 blocks wasn't a lot and the only game that fucked up the memory card was Duke 3D. I also liked how you could store PS1 stuff onto a PS2 memorycard, which were alot better in general.
But the GameCube memoty cards fucking sucked. Every game took huge chunks of space.
>>
File: 2312121412.png (74 KB, 274x228)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>10943503
>game has a password system
>well over 16 characters long
>has 1 l I O and 0 as inputs
>cursor doesn't wrap on the on-screen keypad or can only scroll left/right through what you can type in
>>
>>10943503
>Game has a password system
>It's over 80 characters long
>It includes uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as numbers and some symbols
>It's for a sports game
Fuck you Konami.
>>
File: xnwq15160sh41-3652754652.jpg (1.32 MB, 2448x3264)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>10943502
Volatile memory.
I miss my Pokemon save from childhood.
>>
File: vcyjdzltdjt21[1].jpg (258 KB, 1564x1564)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>10947607
>>10947634
>game has a password system
>it's 260 characters long
>>
File: disgusted origami.jpg (6 KB, 223x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>10947658
>>
>>10947651
the only thing left from my childhood blue cartridge are the pokemon I used in Stadium
fuck Nintendo for going the cheap route
>>
Everything PAL. This includes everything >>10943528 said, but also shit like:
Getting systems and games later than Japan and North America.
Large proprietary cases for disc game, since cases needed to be big enough to house a manual with 5 languages in it.
Not getting games, particularity RPGs, because of language reasons.
Having games censored.
>>
Retro translations, if you know anything about it, are actually terrible. Basically every game that has any reasonable amount of text from that time either has:
>extreme localization that change everything
>high amounts of translator inserted jokes not present in the original text
>complete rewrites
>tons of censorship
>translators were given basically no resources and were basically an afterthought, leading to bad results
>common practice was to just give the text to translate on a long, continuous document with no context instead which also leads to mistakes
>original devs gave zero help and zero fucks about it, thus leading to rush jobs
I can go on. Almost every retro game with decent amount of text should get a fan re-translation. The modern day isn't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it used to be. The main problem we have now is culture war bullshit leading to censorship.
>>
>>10948013
>Large proprietary cases for disc game, since cases needed to be big enough to house a manual with 5 languages in it.

The biggest offender would be Dreamcast due to how fragile that blue crap was, but I'm not sure if that was the intention with PSX / PSone cases, since the PAL region was using the same case as Japan.

The problem with replacing cases, at least for the double cases like Final Fantasy or Koudelka was losing the hologram

>>10947658
At least some games (Metroid) had passwords added to make up for losing the ability to save on the FDS version. The first Castlevania did not even have a password system.

And speaking of nes, Nintendo enforcing the usage of their own cartridges outside of japan, which led to games like Contra removing animations or simplifying the sprites to fit the cartridge.
https://tcrf.net/Contra_(NES)
>>
>>10946471
Not to mention there are retro games that straight up don't work on modern PCs because they have the abomination that is SecuROM installed on them, something that was never compatible with modern hardware and if a PC tries to look at that shit uncracked, it has no idea what the fuck it's seeing.
>>
>>10946012
The problem isn't the use of lithium ion, it's the companies cheaping out on production costs. If they bought the more expensive stuff we wouldn't have problems like the bursting PSP battery.
>>
>>10948474
>SecuROM
>retro
You have to be 18 or older to use this website.
>>
>>10948505
SecuROM first came out in 98, anon
>>
>>10948505
love it when zoomers pretend they're not
>>
I don't miss games that were optimized for OpenGL but I had a Voodoo2 card. (Quake)
I don't miss games that were optimized for Glide but I had upgraded to a TNT2. (Tribes)
I don't miss games that were software rendered but I had two goddamned 3D accelerated video cards. (Thief)
I don't miss SET SOUND=A220 I5 D1 P330 fucking whatever. (Every DOS game ever)
I don't miss the default to using keyboard in FPS being the arrow keys instead of WASD.
>>
>>10948508
>>10948514
I'm not a zoomer, but I first heard of SecuROM in the Windows Vista era and it was treated like some brand new thing so that's my memory of it.
>>
I miss the brief period when patches weren't necessary to just play the game just as the default standard. What I don't miss the period when patches sometimes were necessary, but were a huge pain in the ass to download, and having to run them all in some specific nonsensical order where if you installed patch 1.2 before 1.3 then go fuck yourself, the game didn't actually patch those bugs and you need to uninstall and reinstall the game and patch it in the right order.
>>
>>10948523
Maybe you should do a cursory Google search before calling someone underaged then and you won't be made fun of.
>>
>>10948524
>I miss the brief period when patches weren't necessary to just play the game just as the default standard.
Yeah, that brief 30 year period from the 1980s to the 2010s.
>>
>>10948527
There were in fact lots of games released in the 90s and 2000s that shipped with game-breaking bugs you just didn't know about and patches DID exist to fix them, but you had to go through the method I described.
>>
>>10948526
Why would I do a google search on something I thought I already knew for certain? Are you really so insecure and afraid of criticism that you fact check every single post you make no matter how certain you are about what you're saying? I'll just take the criticism and move on, now I know something I didn't before.
>>
>>10948532
This seems like a lot of cope when your retarded ass couldn't be bothered to not say something stupid on an anonymous image board.
>>
CD Keys
>>
>>10948532
For someone "taking the criticism and moving on", you sure are trying to justify yourself.
>>
I don't like DLC, but I will fucking take that over Capcom expecting me to buy the same Street Fighter game AGAIN at full price for a few more characters and balance changes.
>>
>>10945314
>Now with Switch and PS5 we are back to the saves inside the console,

You can't copy them to the cloud/friends' consoles?
>>
>>10948538
CD keys were fun in the early days of Steam. There would be collections of games where each game would have a unique CD key but each one would redeem the entire collection. There are a lot of old games I have from my friends getting these box sets and letting people redeem the extra keys on Steam.
>>
>>10948551
CD Keys are fun until you want to install an old game but you can't goddamn remember where its case is.
>>
>>10948546
tbf, basically no one except Capcom pulled that shit.
>>
>>10946426
Was Game Gear the one that used a fucking fluorescent lamp for backlighting?
>>
>>10948560
yes. LED existed back then but they couldn't quite figure out how to backlight it for cheap yet.
>>
>>10948560
That was literally all backlit color LCDs until they started making LED backlights in the mid-2000s.
>>
File: OIP(38).jpg (16 KB, 474x353)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>10948538
Keygens were SOUL af tho. Anybody remember astalavista.box.sk?
>>
>>10948529
Yep, it was a slog, especially (as you've mentioned) if a game would (eventually) receive multiple patches. And the early-to-mid '00s was when games started shipping with genuinely bad bugs (including ones that would delete system files on game uninstall), or missing functionality. So you needed to patch the game.
>>
>>10948562
>>10948569
Did the Nomad have one?
>>
File: 1708310236754716.jpg (4 KB, 146x175)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>10948575
>mfw using a keygen to register Blizzard games on Battle.net when they first started introducing digital downloads
>>
>>10948180
PAL Dreamcast cases are bad, PAL Saturn cases were worse. Not the newer, DVD-like, plastic cases, but the fucking cardboard ones.
It's nuts how Sega got plastic cases right with the Master System, Megadrive, and Mega CD, only to completely fuck up so hard with the Saturn. I don't know if they though they couldn't fit multilingual manuals in a jewel longbox, but they absolutely didn't fit anything in the case they went with.
>>
>>10948180
>And speaking of nes, Nintendo enforcing the usage of their own cartridges outside of japan, which led to games like Contra removing animations or simplifying the sprites to fit the cartridge.

Contra was sold for 30$ when it came out on NES though, which is almost twice as cheap as its price on Famicom.
>>
>>10948550
Only to the cloud, which means paying for the service + kissing your backups goodbye the day they shut down the service. I liked making my own local backups with PS3, PS4 and 3DS.

>>10948756
Interesting. DESU, I have no idea what prices were like. I started gaming with Gameboy and Snes. when NES stock was in the of the clearance stage.
>>
File: file.png (132 KB, 320x240)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>10948515
I don't miss games that were optimized for OpenGL but I had a Voodoo2 card. (Quake)

I have nostalgia for 3Dfx cards, but I definitely don't miss this shit. To make matters worse, it does not play nice with OSSC.
>>
>>10948581
Yes. CCFLs were the only option until like 2004, in all screen sizes. Monochrome screens could be lit with LEDs (see: Game Boy Light) but we didn't have good enough or cheap enough white LEDs to backlight color screens with them.
>>
>>10943502
I don't miss reading manuals. Yes, they can be cool if they are really well made. But if I'm pirating something, I don't want to also need to track down a manual. And even if I wasn't pirating, does anybody really prefer reading a manual first? And what if I'm buying it second hand or renting it? Most of the time, I was fucked back then when doing either of those.
>>
>>10948803
My favorite part about manuals is that it means games don't need overbearing tutorials that teach you how to play before you're allowed to just play the game. You can choose to read the manual or not, but either way the game will just start and let you fucking PLAY, with maybe some clever instructive game design in the first level/area to help you grasp some basics subconsciously.

RPGs can be hit or miss with manuals, though. On the one hand, they can allow early NES RPGs to be more complex than they otherwise would be, since they can stuff all the stat references into the manual and free up memory on the cartridge. On the other hand, it can be annoying having to use the manual as a constant reference for everything (looking at you, Secret of Mana).
>>
>>10947658
i played both golden sun games recently and I am pretty sure they have an option to send your data to the new game without manual input.
>>
>>10948851
Through a link cable, yeah.
>>
>>10948515
>>10948796
You could basically boil it down to "I don't miss when PC compatability was such a clusterfuck for every individual game that the problems people deal with in compatability these days in comparison, would weep if they had to deal with half the shit we did back then"
>>
>>10948824
With RPGs manuals can be a necessity, specially if you need a reference guide for a mechanic or one obscure status ailment that was explained in an early tutorial 20 hours ago and now you can't see that in-game tutorial again.

I'd settle for just one PDF or the built-in manual in 3ds games. Having to go through fan wikis is not always great.
>>
>>10948904
You can find scans for any game by googling "[game name] manual," so that's not a problem. What bugs me is games like Secret of Mana where they don't provide ANY in-game descriptions for items whatsoever because they literally just expect you to reference the manual.
>>
>>10948920
>they literally just expect you to reference the manual.

Ok, that's definitely a whole different level of crappiness. With "La Aventura Espacial"(CPC adventure game, I don't think it was translated to English). The terminology dictionary was in the manual, and without knowing what words meant, it could turn into a "darmok and jalad, at tanagra" scenario

What I meant with PDFs is that I wish manuals would come back for modern games.
>>
>>10945796
>>10945864
>>10946252
>>10946261
Wasn't it NiCd that had the shitty "memory effect", if you charges it too early (before it went dead) or didn't charge it all the way it would get stuck with a lower capacity?
>>
>>10949157
Probably. It was still infinitely preferable to using non-rechargeable batteries.
>>
>>10949157
Yes, it basically loses its 0 point over time if you keep charging it to max at the smallest amount of loss. Which means Walton Simons from Deus Ex uses NiCd batteries in his implants.
>>
>>10943502
Think how much better current consoles would be if you could just add parts when they get old. Let's all spend another 500 dollars on a slightly better revision with a new number.
>>
when you have to swap a disc
but it doesn't let you save the game between disc swapping so you have to have like extra buttons on emulators/readers to do that on flash memory

having no back light sucked
the gba player was such a game changer
>>
slo down in games was really bad
like more then 3 enemies and the thing slowed

ps1's wobbly graphics
ps1s directional pad instead of a joystick
>>
>>10943502
>What's something you DON'T miss about the retro era
CRTs
>>
>>10943502
I unironically miss little to nothing from past years since I'm an emufag. But the thing I hated the most was power supplies, specially when their capacitors decay having an annoying buzzing noise and white line on the screen. Happened in all my big power adapter systems.
>>
I think controller design is peak right now with the Xbox line of controllers and even the PlayStation line. Retro consoles have different controller designs for every console and while this can lead to great ideas, it also is inconsistent. So I'm happy that 2 out of 3 of the major console makers today have great controllers that don't change much. I do not miss each console release leaving it up in the air if the controller is good or not.
>>
File: 00655-388591152.png (1.33 MB, 1024x1024)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>10945276
While I definitely agree from a practical standpoint, I can't deny playing my gameboy(s) in bed illuminated by flashlight was comfy as fuck.
>>
>>10943502
Game logic and framerate being tied together.
>>
>>10946494
Messy how?
The DS Lite changed to a slimmer connector to allow for a smaller body. Unfortunately it breaks all the time so they changed it for the DSi then used the same connector for the entire 3DS line.
>>
>>10946491
Common AV ports would've been nice to have, though it complicates board design and sku tracking for the manufacturers.
Common power jack, not so much. Imagine accidentally plugging a 19V jack into your 12V console.
>>
>>10945173
>Europoors couldn't afford any rumble paks
Kek

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.