[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.jpg (282 KB, 1855x1034)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
is trails of cold steel good? im thinkin bout downloading 3
>>
>>3477742
No.
>>
God no.
>>
>>3477742
No, and this is one of the worst ones.
>>
>>3477745
>>3477749
>>3477750
why no?
>>
>>3477742
No.
>>3477755
It’s INCREDIBLY bloated and while people love to talk up it’s lore, barely fucking anything happens in the games despite how long they are. It’s not worth the timesink whatsoever. Play something better like Dragon Quest or SMT, hell even Persona.
>>
>>3477742
Yes, it's kino. Ignore the seethers.
>>
File: 1703748519407474.png (31 KB, 520x600)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>3477742
>>
>>3477742
Have you played the first 2?
It's not the kind of series where you can just pick up any of them - you really need to do 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 in that order.

I think they're fun games. It's the kind of thing where if it works for you it works for you really well. The complaint you're going to get from people who actually played it and not just the "I'm on /vrpg/ so I have to hate it because anime" crowd is that its plot turns into a bit of a mess in the latter games - and I can agree with that - but I don't have that issue with the first 2, and if you like the first 2 games, then you're still going to enjoy playing the next 2, though to a lesser extent.

Play at least hard if not nightmare difficulty - they're not hard games for anyone who's familiar with rpgs, talk to the npcs a lot, do all the sidequests that you can, and enjoy the music - uncontestably the soundtrack is very good throughout the games.
>>
>>3477742
>is trails of cold steel good?
Literally what if needles taste like chocolate the game?
>>
why do these games make people so mad lol
>>
File: rean based.jpg (144 KB, 748x754)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>3477824
Rean is, by all extents, the single most important fictional character for /vrpg/
>>
>>3477824
They're objectively mediocre games with an absolutely insane cult of shitposters pushing it as the greatest thing ever. A few years ago these mentally fucked individuals spammed Rean on /vrpg/ to the point of having nearly 100 active Rean threads at once.
>>
>>3477811
>you really need to do 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 in that order.
This but also play the Trails in the Sky and Crossbell games first.
>>
>>3477742
Yup, best RPGs of all time and honestly, the best games of all time. Enjoy the KINO
>>
>>3477865
>They're objectively mediocre games with an absolutely insane cult of shitposters pushing it as the greatest thing ever
But enough about Fallout
>>
>>3477824
I'm guessing it's just people mad that some have left the square plantation of JRPGs desu
Similar to the odd person who cries about Kiseki in every SaGa thread, completely unprompted.
>>
>>3477875
This is one said schizo cultists, by the way.
>>
>>3477878
Haha...
>>
File: 20230903171546_1.jpg (1.36 MB, 3840x2160)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>3477742
Yes. It's not as amazing as 1 and 2 but still good. You need to start at 1, though.

>>3477824
>why do these games make people so mad lol
This board is made up of 90s babies who suffer from terminal nostalgia. They are unable to move on from FF7 and Suikoden and whatever else they grew up with and find new things to enjoy. Also, envy. Trails is the only ongoing serialized RPG series, period.
>>
>>3477742
>willing to randomly jump in on the 3rd game in the 3rd arc of a series that's been going for like 20 years
you are the target audience, it's perfect for you, hop in and enjoy.
>>
>>3477811
>Have you played the first 2?
no
>>3477882
>Yes. It's not as amazing as 1 and 2 but still good. You need to start at 1, though.
if im only gonna play one game should i just play 1?
>>
Yeah, although assuming this isn't bait start with sky and play in release order. I wouldn't take anything this board says about these games seriously considering people here switch between nonstop dickriding trails and completely hating it every few months
>>
>>3477909
>if im only gonna play one game should i just play 1?
Yes. The cool stuff like the mechs aren't introduced until the later games, but the later games are direct continuations of the story established in 1. 1 introduces the characters and the setting and the plot. Jumping into the later games is like starting Lord of the Rings at The Two Towers.

CS1 was very fun in of itself. It is my second favorite Trails game, behind CS2. There is a lot to like about 1. The combat and character building. The pleasant characters. The intriguing plot. Several emotional points. Good aesthetics. Fantastic soundtrack. I would advise starting on at least hard difficulty. It is perfectly possible to beat the game on nightmare as a first timer, but the final fight of CS1 has some frustrating RNG stuff that is exacerbated on higher difficulties. Take heed that if you start on hard, the first couple chapters will feel a little tough, but you can endure like I did and it really feels fun to rise to the occasion and buckle down and understand the combat system and build your characters and triumph. I would definitely recommend playing the sequels on nightmare (or Abyss) difficulty.

Try to play with the Steam PC release if you can as they recorded 5,000 more English voicelines for it, as well as redubbed some lines to be better.
>>
>>3477937
and to elaborate about CS3 and CS4, I like them and there are some things improved from CS1 and CS2 (namely the visuals), but they discard the narrative direction that CS2 ended off on and make some wonky writing decisions, which bring down the overall experience as these games are mainly story. Pretty much high production value visual novels. The games also become very easy starting with CS3, even on nightmare difficulty. That being said, I still found them very enjoyable (characters, setting, visuals, music, etc), definitely would rather play this than whatever Western AAA game is coming out.
>>
>>3477742
Best games in the business yup. If you start at 3, let us know how it goes kek
>>
>>3477755
>why no?
Because it's for LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG games where nothing actually happens. And that's not counting the the other trails games. The actual plots are the dumbest, stupidest most generic anime garbage imaginable but it's fans treat it like it's an amazing example of world building when it's just bloat. Characters do not develop. Plots do not progress.
>>
When the games were new it was easy to buy into the cutsie crap because you had hope that things may pay out. Characters in Game 1 may not have gotten a lot of moments to shine but surely by game 3 or 4 they'd get their chance right? So you go forward thinking all of this is gonna pay out and it just.... doesn't. There is no pay out. And it too HUNDREDS of hours to get there.
>>
>>3477865
>They're objectively mediocre games with an absolutely insane cult of shitposters pushing it as the greatest thing ever
bro you could say that about like any fucking game you don't like that gets threads on this board
>>
>>3478011
Exactly.
>>
File: 1714746498171856.png (255 KB, 664x270)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
>>3477865
>insane cult of shitposters pushing it as the greatest thing ever.
Since when? Maybe that was true like 10 years ago when FC got a Stream port but nowadays all I see on this board whenever someone so much as mentions it is people like you jumping down their throat for daring to think they're good and how they're apparently the worst games ever conceived of by mankind. If anything the games have become underrated due to how much instant seethe they cause just from people mentioning them. Seems like most of this comes from autistic shitpost grudges from dumb shit that happened years ago.
>>
>>3478026
Nope. Read the rest of the post. Falcomfags are completely insufferable. The only people more delusional are the haniho fags on /vg/ but at least they stay in their containment thread, whereas the Falcomfags bleed all over /vrpg/ and /v/ and have daily shill threads. Not to mention how they act on other sites.
>>3478034
Post-CS3. Those cultist faggots really ramped up the mental illness around 2020.
>>
File: REAN.png (150 KB, 365x380)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>3478076
Haha...
>>
>>3478076
>and have daily shill threads
This is like the second Kiseki thread in over a month
>>
>>3477937
>but the final fight of CS1 has some frustrating RNG stuff that is exacerbated on higher difficulties.
Unironically a skill issue.
>>
>>3478082
On hard difficulty, unless you knew beforehand to levelgrind the dragons in the last room of the final dungeon and then pop the shining poms too boost Rean's level as high as possible, you will be at the mercy of the rng. You can choose the right move every turn but if the boss procs a link attack too often you will lose.
>>
At this point it's just sunk cost. If you're not already into Trails DO NOT GET INTO TRAILS!
>>
File: ADOL.png (3.02 MB, 1428x2516)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB PNG
>>3478113
You cannot stop what is coming. Falcom has already Won
>>
File: ys oath.png (2.28 MB, 1910x757)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB PNG
>>3478115
Ys is both easily accessible and a better example of world building where each game exists as a solo adventure in a part of the world that has it's history and lore explored as part of the adventure. What you learn is always relevant in some capacity and while townsfolk have plenty to say they are not the draw. This is world building. It is building a world. A bunch of irrelevant blather might make you very proud of your series bible but it is not world building. When your NPCs have more to say than your main characters or actual plot you did not build a world. You build a wiki.
>>
File: HeeHee.png (284 KB, 676x380)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
>>3478148
>>
>>3478151
You are a pointless non character who actually regresses and loses any interesting qualities they might have originally had all in order to appeal to the ever increasingly vacuous nature of the self insert audience who needs everything to cater to their imaginary perfect high school life. I detest you, your game and everything you stand for.
>>
>>3478163
holy projection lmfao
>>
File: 1691738439082715.jpg (59 KB, 1758x339)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
cultistfag is one of the regular shitposters from the vg general. While he complains about falcomfags bleeding out to other boards, he himself goes out of his way to shitpost every kiseki/falcom thread he can find, while acting like he isn't one of the obsessed spammers.
https://arch.b4k.co/vg/thread/474871746/

I don't know what mental illness drives an autist to project and falseflag a series this fucking hard but he's been doing it for like 5 years now so it must be a severe one.
>>
>>3478078
Retard, there's always at least one active cultist shill thread on /v/. There's multiple on this board right now as well.
>>
>>3478186
"Cultist" is /fg/ lingo, chud. You're very angry.
>>
Alright so who is going to give me the qrd on /fg/? Shouldn't they like these games?
>>
>>3478257
why the fuck do you use /v/
are you mentally impaired

>>3478261
If you care just go to the thread retard
You don't even have to get out of your chair lazy fatass
>>
>Hey can I start in the eighth game of a continuous narrative?
No, retard
>>
>>3478263
What's the qrd?
>>
>>3478263
>dude if i don't know about it it isn't real!
No wonder you're getting assblasted about being called a cultist. You're still a sheltered little bitch.
>>
>>3478271
>dude if i don't know about it it isn't real!
who are you quoting
>>
Can any of you guys tell me why you hate Kiseki so much that you spend time (presumably years) in a general for falcom games posting about it?
>>
>>3478273
You. Read the fucking chain, RETARD. And you're wrong about there not being Trails threads. There's at least 5 active on this right now, 2 within the last few days. The cult of Falcom is real.
>>
>>3478275
It's all the guy described here >>3478186
Unfortunately, like any other /vg/ thread, there's schizos.
>>
>>3478282
This is a severe schizo delusion. You've already expressed loathing for /v/, suggesting you don't browse it, and now you're pretending to be an expert on the subject of Falcom on 4chan. Not a good look. You just come off as even more assmad than before.
>>
File: 123255235.jpg (161 KB, 958x1280)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
Kiseki is the Ultimate JP-KINO
t. Kiseki Cultist Diviner Rank 3
>>
>>3478283
Multiple people exist retard
>>
>>3478320
>Multiple people exist retard
The absolute fucking irony. What do you think the point of that point was? lmao
>It's all the guy described here
ohnononono
>>
>>3478111
You can block the every move the boss makes with adamantite shield and crescent mirror.
>>
>>3478329
He's talking about the crow knight battle dumbass
>>
>>3478332
People consider that the final boss? I only played the game with a difficulty mod, is the fight really just as bad in the base game as well?
>>
>>3478338
I had to reload myself and grind levels. Largely because I generally end up pretty low level relative to others in JRPGs by the end. It was poorly balanced due to the heavy scaling on character level and the reality of the final chapter and how one might be within a wide range of levels depending on how they played it.
>>
>>3478345
Then the mod might not of changed that fight. It took me like 25 attempts for the stars to align. It's been a few years, but I think I ended on level 53.
>>
>>3478355
I don't remember the level I was at myself so I'm not sure, but I can say it was difficult unmodded as well (Nightmare difficulty at least)
>>
>>3478338
It's a bit messy. The actual mechanics for Divine Knight fights didn't get solidified until 2, so it's a lot more luck based. And of course you're sorta thrown into the deep end anyways, and you can't really prepare much for it cause it's the first time you're doing one.

>>3478355
>>3478358
I did hard, and I don't think I was overleveled or anything (I didn't use any of the poms). Died the first time, and then got it the second.
>>
>>3477742
Please at least play the first 2. This is not an entry point.
>>
>>3478517
Don't listen to this assfaced monkey. This series has zero depth and is just a neverending collection of throwbacks and fanservice. Starting points:
>Sky FC
>Zero
>Cold Steel 1
>Cold Steel 3 (second half of this arc and largely disconnected from 1 and 2)
>Daybreak 1
Facts.
>>
>>3478557
I meant CS1 and 2. I'm fine with people starting at CS, but not with ignoring them for 3.
>>
God-tier games desu
Start with Sky imo
>>
>>3477742
3 is the best in Cold Steel (despite getting really dumb at points) but you should still start from Sky.
>>
>>3478842
As someone who started with Cold Steel, you're not wrong, but most people aren't going to play all those games just to get caught up. You won't know certain stuff, but it isn't that big of a deal and you can just Google a summary to catch up. That being said, the series is bloated as hell. Thought it was decent starting off, but got burnt out by 3 and finished 4 just to finish it. If you don't feel like sinking in shit tons of time then don't bother starting.

Also completely unrelated, but they switch main character voice actors halfway through the series, so keep that in mind if that's something that bothers you.
>>
>>3478148
There's always at least one Ysfag crying in these threads kek. Every time.
>>
>>3478873
>agrees that 3 is the best
>Thought it was decent starting off, but got burnt out by 3
Nigga are you even reading the posts you’re replying to?
>>
File: cs3.jpg (238 KB, 2280x1284)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>Cold Steel 3
Haha... I guess it's time to not hold back.

>What was that?
>Instructor Rean! quick, this way!
>are those... [placeholder]!?
*Rean pulls sword out of thin air*
>Class Seven, our duty is to stop [placeholder]
*kills enemies*
>wew, they're unconscious for now, lets move!
>Reans students yell: RIGHT!!!!
*make it to destination*
>It's it's [characters name]... No it's [Characters Title]!
>Well if it isn't Class Seven!
>What are you doing here!?
>We're here for a special mission of sorts. Information I can't share with you.
>Well we'll just beat it out of you!
>CLASS SEVEN, MOVE OUT!
>RIGHT!
>Que: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhiVB7ipfc

INFORMATION: REMOVE 40% OF ENEMIES HEALTH

*battle Over*
*Rean kneeling and panting with his students*
>No... They're too strong... I'm going to have to use... THAT.
>No Instructor Rean you can't!
>HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>Que: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r_tEhzh5X0
>Wait... is that..! [Old Class Seven name placeholder]!!!!!!
*is able to drive back the enemy like it was nothing, the same enemy Rean and kids couldn't stop*
>Well that's enough fun for today
>!?
>WAIT! WHAT IS OUROBOROS AFTER!?
>Haha... wouldn't you like to know.
>>
>>3477824
Back when this board was somewhat fast, it had a group of Reanposters who shitposted this board into the ground for months on end. Rean is technically the symbol of /vrpg/ much like Hilter is for /pol/ or futaba for /a/.
>>
File: 1619649982508.png (1.98 MB, 1447x2006)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
>>3478076
Anon, it was three years ago, it's time to move on. Most of those people don't even post here anymore.
>>
File: 1574032818483.webm (314 KB, 227x394)
314 KB
314 KB WEBM
>>3479016
>Non Falcom threads are about Rean
Fufu...
>>
>>3479016
Says a lot about the sad state of the video game industry that no other modern franchise has a fandom as enthusiastic as Trails'.
>>
File: 1700350805671965.jpg (91 KB, 850x940)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Haha...
>>
>>3479078
All it says is that the average 4chan poster is a shitposting retard.
>>
>>3479078
Tales can't keep a general
>>
>>3479016
This only happened because the board had like 0 moderation at the time. It was inevitable that someone would realize that and it just happened to be the Reanfags.
>>
>>3479102
Kneel to the king
>>
>>3479095
If you don't like shitposting then go to a serious forum board like MMO Champion or Spacebattles.
>>
Kiseki is simply the best game series in the world, not just RPGs.
>>
>>3479102
The board still has 0 moderation
What the fuck are you talking about

Look at the dozens of threads the FF8 faggot makes, same thing with the Fallout schizo.
>>
>>3479190
This. There's also like 4 different general threads active at all times. Tales, Dungeon Travelers, SaGa, Black Souls. This is a dumping ground. People still post Rean regularly. The people responsible for the raid just returned to their discord server.
>>
>>3479215
Don’t forget the CYOA general, the Hat World General, the Mystery Dungeon/Shiren General, the Monster Collecting Games General, the Sequel General, the Artix General, I guess that one Mass Effect thread that’s been up since like January probably counts…
>>
>>3478966
What's there to read. That guy thought 3 was the best, I thought 3 was also the best. Doesn't mean that by the time I finished it I was burned out and didn't really want to play 4. Just because you get burned out after a game doesn't mean the game was bad.
>>
File: face-ninja_shock.jpg (26 KB, 500x500)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3478994
>>are those... [placeholder]!?
>>
File: f you Im lois.gif (369 KB, 406x208)
369 KB
369 KB GIF
>At least I can finally stand up to you
>Hah. Guess I can stop holding back.
>Uggh he's still so strong and all my previous development, such that it was, was completely pointless
>Hah hah that wasn't to bad time to finish this
>Not so fast
>IS THAT SECONDARY AND TERTIARY CHARACTER!?
>You guys go ahead I'll finish this

I don't think I've ever seen a series constantly cuck the player out of a sense of growth, development and show downs with the rival characters. It's like every character in the game is allowed to be cool except anyone you play as.
>>
>>3479444
It's a problem when your series becomes popular so you can't have any finality to it. You always have to leave room for continuation.
>>
>>3479447
There's leaving room for continuation and then there's never letting the hero have a real win. The Fantastic Four will never truly get rid of Doctor Doom for good but they're always gonna stop what evil plot he's currently up to or give him a good thrashing.
>>
>>3479295
Artix CHADs mentioned
Is it really a general if the thread has been around for four months?
>>
>ironic weebs and westoids seething
Kiseki is simply too Powerful. It is the Ultimate JP-KINO and thus causes ironic weebs and westoids to weep profusely.
>>
>>3477865
why are you describing snoyggers?
>>
File: the state of old vrpg.jpg (1.29 MB, 1176x6533)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>3479190
It got out of hand at the time with Reanfags. And 2021 is the only time mods put their foot in the door. We had reanfags posting 1 months bans and 1 year bans for their rampant shitposting.
>>
File: 1945869203401904.png (1.79 MB, 1807x1339)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
>>3482553
Haha...
>>
>>3479953
yes becuase no thread should be there for 4 months ever
>>
File: 1711882262823063.png (29 KB, 743x459)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>3477742
Start with Sky FC.
>>
>>3477742
Top tier game yes

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.