[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2262.jpg (1.26 MB, 4032x3024)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>dont polish a turd
>finish your drawings
Can someone elucidate this for me?
I spend 30 hours on beginner exercises in the sticky book keys to drawing
>>
>>7171321
Oh no, NOOOOOOO!!!!
Anon you're not ready for this, stick to easy ones!
>>
>>7171321
fuck that glass actually looks really good, nice, good work
>>
>>7171327
Thanks I appreciate it
>>7171322
Im not sure if it is the most efficient way to practice
>>
>>7171321
80-20 rule is what's happening here. 80% of what makes a drawing good happens in the first 20% of working on it (the rough stages). When you're a beginner the most efficient use of your time (if your goal is improvement) would be to practice that first 20% as much as possible, which is where don't polish a turd comes from.
But if you only focus on roughs then you'll get really good at only that. I'm under the impression a lot of people here practiced the rough stage too much and are incapable of finishing their drawings at the same level of skill as their rough, which is where finish your drawings comes from.

The best balance for improvement would probably be mostly roughs, with the occasional finished piece.
>>
>>7171321
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoYl6sFd0Qc&t=34s
>>
File: That One Quote.jpg (44 KB, 850x400)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>7171349
Yea pretty much this, sketching is most of the intellectual effort and the stage where your skill is most important, inking is a good deal less, and rendering is a good deal less still, while each of those steps also takes progressively more time. If you ink and render every single thing you ever do, you're going to learn very very slowly, because you're just not actually drawing that much.But if you never ink and render, you'll be incapable of producing anything that looks complete.

As an absolute beginner, you really should just worry about sketching, but don't wait too long to start doing finished peices. As soon as you're capable of making stuff that isn't pure scribble you should be doing them occationally just as a skill bench mark if nothing else.
>>
>>7171321
Finishing is a like a song with an overall good composition. Polishing a turd is like having a guitar solo that never fucking ends and overstays its welcome, and dominates your song.
>>
>>7171327
crab, you're the reason tis board is dying.
>>7171343
>Im not sure if it is the most efficient way to practice
it is, and it applies not just in drawing but everything else, you start with the easy ones to grasp your fundies well BEFORE moving to more complicated stuff. I had to enlarge the photo to understand what I'm seeing
>>
>>7171363
How should I practice sketching? quickly? deliberately? How do I get the most out of it
>>
>>7171327
well done crab, now he will stay in the beg trap forever
>>
>>7171349
I spend 70% of my time thinking of what to sketch, 20% on sketching, and 10% on finishing.
>>
This entire thread demonstrates why /ic/ is worthless
>>7171321
good job, and keep doing difficult things
>>
File: gimped.jpg (569 KB, 1241x1000)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>>7171321
even trad chads should learn minimal amount of photo editing in GIMP and or KRITA to boost their pieces in form of photos.

Very nice beg glass.
>>
>>7171321
DON'T HOLD YOUR SHIT IN
>>
>>7171349
That seems proper to me
>>7171361
I appreciate that good video
>>7171369
I see what you mean, like having bad discipline
>>7171408
I suppose so if you can find a good balance with it
>>7171705
probably yes
>>7171740
Thank you appreciate that
>>7171746
Saved thank you
>>7171952
Thank you you sound like a psychologist
>>
>>7171746
This makes OP pic look even better
>>7171321
Damn OP you make want to to try out stuff I don't have patience for
>>
i only started getting paid decently for my work when i became a rendermonkey, people will forgive even the worst anatomical mistakes (except in the hands and faces) if your rendering is convincing.

sketches are cool but people only care about your sketches if your finished work is good, or if you use them to provide content for a very specific niche (e.g. gay genshin impact comics). but your floating anime head on a white canvas.. eh
>>
Because you're confusing a study, which should be done, quick and dirty and with a purpose, with a practice work, which is meant to be a finished piece, where you put to test what you learned with the studies.

Boxes humanoids, are practice and should be done fast and with no other purpose than to warm up and build brain muscle.

Portrait studies should be done slowly and with care, trying to focus on polish, not fast shit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.