[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.jpg (27 KB, 540x413)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
There hasn't been one, which is good, but I want to ask who is going to the gooner con Waifu/Kimochii con and what thoughts you have on it and the loss of A-kon
>>
I don't know those cons but is anyone familiar with anime Matsuri? I might go there
>>
>>10914875
I'm looking to go to Dreamcon happening in Austin. Not sure if i wanna pay for just the friday or saturday badge. Might go for both
>>
For those who went to KimochiiCon, how was it? I was strongly considering going to this a month ago, then completely forgot.
>>
>>10914875
AnimeFest, coming up in a couple of months, will be the next test to see which anime con in dfw best fills the void left in the absence of A-Kon. Not optimistic about attendance this year due to: first year at new venue, different city (technically), underwhelming attendance numbers in recent years (~5k-~8k), conflicts with Dream Con again, and meh guestlist (so far), not to mention it seems to be confirmed that you can no longer go into the artist alley without a badge. Hoping it to at least be better than the disaster that was this past WeebCon tho lol
>>
>>10916713
went to kimochiicon, it wasn't bad. pretty promising outlook for future years with the guest list, and actually hot girls there. its a small venue, and they got some things to work on but it ran better than some bigger conventions that happened this year (looking at weebcon 2024 mess)
>>
>>10914875
Just doing colossal Texas this time
>>
have any of you tried going to anime Midwest event
>>
i'm kind of disillusioned with texas cons right now, so i'll probably only do cctx and san japan this year
>>
>>10915244
It's their last year in Austin. They don't know where the fuck they're going to be next year. Who knows if they'll stay in Texas?

https://x.com/playthatjohn/status/1793106127594701057
>>
>>10916906
just doing afest, afrontier and san japan this year. The first 2 because they are less than 20 min away.
>>
>>10916845
Nice. I will probs go next year then.
>>
Anyone here any experience with Ecchi Expo? Thinking of going this year.
>>
Recommend me your texas cons, !zkon is shot down so all I have looking forward to this year is AX
>>
Why do I have a feeling that after Comicpalooza the city of Houston will remind others that Matsuri exists? Mutuals are barely talking about them.
>>
>>10918238
People barley talk about anime matsuri because it sucks. The only people still enamored with it are people who have never been to anything that runs remotely on time or people who haven't been enoght years to realize the Leigh's are incapable of running an event successfully.
>>
>>10918549
When you tell your attendance base to fuck off and then deal with it they stop coming back. They didn't need to be warned about sexual predators. They needed to keep being a shitty run show to turn off enough people so they tell people its ass.
>>
>>10918238
Wouldn't blame Houston if they only care to try to push Comicpalooza as the big thing so they can let Matsuri burn alive. Less drama.
>>
What Texas cons are good these days?

t. Made the mistake of taking a job in Louisiana, and trying to get back
>>
>>10918721
The mutals seem to think it's cctx for small, afest for medium but not overwhelming, sj for bigger. Since the Akon king has left the building many are picking different ones.
>>
>>10918747
I heard Matsuri fell off a cliff since like 2020.
>>
>>10918762
Sex predators and piss poor planning don't help
>>
>>10918810
Houston should be a slam dunk location for a big con. Fucking that up is astounding.
>>
>>10918997
Oni-con should've been the biggest Houston show. AM fucked them then they retreated to Galveston to die off.
>>
>>10918762
Most cons are struggling to recover post covid. A lot of them just hemorrhaged staff because all of the sudden these people who were never paid and basically working part time for free had a break and realized how shitty they were being treated. They also can't get general volunteers because people just don't want to subject themselves to crowds. The anime con scene is also notoriously liberal so they all bought into the mask bullshit and are literally afraid to attend cons anymore.

>>10919054
LMAO oni-con was never going to be big. Their staff couldn't handle that amount of growth.
>>
>>10918747
San Japan and then Anime Frontier in that order are the best 'buy anime shit' conventions if you go to the artist alleys and merch sellers, as well. At least, that is what I've experienced. AKON last year was fucking worse than AFEST for shop quality/space.
>>
>>10919179
With the yen being so low, I’m fine with mediocre dealer rooms as long as the AA is solid. I liked A-Kon’s AA last year but the dealer room was past mediocre. That was just bad.
>>
>>10919128
>The anime con scene is also notoriously liberal so they all bought into the mask bullshit and are literally afraid to attend cons anymore.
I remember San Japan being gay about that after others knocked it off.

>>10919179
What ones historically have the best panels and parties?
>>
File: 536753.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>10918810
and then there's this shit
>>
File: 1489266771455.jpg (196 KB, 600x587)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>10919181
ironically A-Kon panels were pretty solid, though others were really hit and miss. I don't mean OR, like good concept terrible execution. However the really good ones also were put in rooms with 30 person MAX seating.

For San Japan - You have a great # of panels, though they are also mostly volunteer ran.
Anime Frontier - 90% of all panels are corporation/group ran so if you like that they are good for you.
Others - I cannot speak to them bc I haven't been to others.

PARTY -
Ikki??? - It was known as a party con, I don't know anymore.
San Japan - Has a rave, has a bar crawl (unofficial but awesome), last year they also had a pre-rave on Thursday at a bar but basically no one went.
AnimeFrontier- I hope you like raves 15 minutes away from the con with no way to get there but uber. It's almost an anti-party con.
>>
>>10919407
Are you a girl? I can sense it
>>
>>10918238
lol, it's already happening! Recent article basically propping up Anime Matsuri.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/05/24/texas-tops-best-us-state-for-anime-conventions-cosplay-enthusiasts/
>>
>>10919653
Since AM is backed by the city, with Comicpalooza now done, they have to fire up the publicity machine once again.
>>
What is happening in Dallas? Akon is dead and Animefedt just announced its done after this year. Weebcon doesn't seem to have a venue signed for next year. Is Anime Frontier all that's left?
>>
>>10920081
There are a ton of smaller conventions, which is what AFest apparently wants to do also. I guess they earn more with less overhead. But i agree, this is kind of fucked.
>>
>>10920081
I just got done doing the photography for Dreamhack and the anime cosplay was better than most actual anime conventions. It looks like 3 hours to Colosalcon and 5 hours to San Japan is it outside of Anime Frontier for the DFW people since Dallas anime cons died.
>>
>>10920081
Never been to weebcon but Afrontier last year was absolute garbage.
Small artist alley, decent sized dealers room, panels were shit, game room was a ghetto and nothing to do after 8 since it’s a corpo con
>>
>>10914875
>what thoughts you have on [...] the loss of A-kon
My buddies and I basically replaced A-Kon with Dreamhack in our rotation and it's been a straight upgrade. Lots to do, the lines are tolerable, the venue isn't a fire hazard, and the cosplay is at least up to par with other cons. The only obvious downside is that it's not primarily an anime con, but at this point neither are most of the major Texas cons which have devolved into just being nerd parties. I thought the merch was kinda lacking too, it felt like most of the artists were just dumping all of their unsold backstock from anime conventions rather than them making new pieces in time for DH.

>>10916794
What was wrong with the last Weebcon? I was only there for a day, but it seemed like it was at least not worse than last year, I had an alright time.

>>10919181
I was there during "The Mask Year" and I don't even remember the mask stuff being enforced all that much.

>>10920081
>Akon is dead
A-Kon has been struggling ever since they got scammed by the FWCC. I heard something about them getting shaken out by Anime Frontier, but I don't know the details.
>Animefedt just announced its done after this year
They announced they're scaling down, not that they're "done". They've been bleeding attendants for years now, so it makes sense
>Weebcon doesn't seem to have a venue signed for next year
Haven't heard anything about this desu.
>Is Anime Frontier all that's left?
Dreamhack, baybee
>>
>>10920114
NTA but I thought weebcon was fantastic especially since I split an atrium balcony room with 3 others so it was cheap and I didn't have to deal with the horrible satellite parking lot. The cosplay contest was controversial since they didn't hand out any awards so the cosplayers were mad but the show itself was good. Overall if you had the money to stay onsite and be a part of the 2am atrium rave and the 4am bathroom rave, you would've had a good time.
>>
>>10920081
>Weebcon doesn't seem to have a venue signed for next year
Hopefully it stays that way :3
>>
>>10920114
>>Haven't heard anything about this desu.

They're openly talking about it on their Discord. Since A-Kon died there will it be 2 for 2 in killing cons?
>>
>>10920157
Weebcon sent out a vendor email a few weeks back saying they're going to the Irving CC, but Wild West Weebs is under a lawsuit because they aren't paying their loans so who knows if they'll actually return.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.