[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Metal cans bad for burning? (Having stuff inside the metal can burn)

I heard that food cans have a plastic coating to prevent bacterial and fungal infections as well as prevent spoilage of food
Heard it contains BPA and thus you shouldn't food in it
If I burn anything in it it would release all the BPA

How do I know if it has a plastic container and if any chemical like xenestrogens exist in it, and if so how can I remove the coating before burning
>>
The coating is to prevent the can contents from interacting with the metal and corroding it or whatever. I think they stopped using BPA for it years ago though.
>>
>>2801257
>The coating is to prevent the can contents from interacting with the metal and corroding it or whatever. I think they stopped using BPA for it years ago though.

How can I remove it without turning gay
>>
>>2801258
>How can I remove it without turning gay

umm, anon...
>>
>>2801262
>How can I remove it without turning gay

You know what I mean
How can I remove it without being exposed to any harmful chemicals (I'm going to re-use the can multiple times for burning too and storing it so burning it once and being away from the smoke isn't an option)
>>
>>2801263
why not just get a metal container that is designed to have things cooked in it?
>>
>>2801265
No I need to use this cans, this is do it yourself not paypig cuck yourself
>>
>>2801268
you tell 'em buster. don't take any shit off of that buyfag trying to shill his "food" cans
>>
>>2801265

Maybe I should

Anyways would still be helpful if someone gave advice for either removing the plastic and/or checking if it's harmful

>>2801268
>No I need to use this cans, this is do it yourself not paypig cuck yourself

Fuck you you are not OP I am OP
I dont need to use a can for this but Id like to
>>
>>2801254
Ironically, your best bet is to burn it out.
That is, before you use it for whatever you're planning, do an initial burn (ideally a bit hotter than you expect it to get during use) in a well-ventilated area. This will remove any volatile compounds you need to worry about, assuming you're not cooking over it or huffing the smoke.
>>
File: bpa leeching.gif (1011 KB, 250x175)
1011 KB
1011 KB GIF
>>2801273
1. it's "harmful" if you grow tits. ymmv as to if find this harmful
2. what the fuck do you mean "use the cans for burning" are you ESL?
3. assuming you're using them to cook, BPAs melt at 316F, water boils at 212F. unless you're frying chicken in oil (400F) as long as there is food in the can it won't melt the lining.
4. if you're not using them to cook food or boil water in the can, what the fuck do you care?
5. if you are a retard (highly likely) and are *still* scared of melting/leaching then put them in the fire or put fire in them or put them on the stove, whatever the fuck you meant ONCE and it will melt/burn anything volatile away and you can rest easy knowing ywnbaw
6. you're clearly a faggot
>>
>>2801263
>You know what I mean
>How can I remove it without being exposed to any harmful chemicals (I'm going to re-use the can multiple times for burning too and storing it so burning it once and being away from the smoke isn't an option)
What he was alluding to is the fact that it's too late, you're already a raging homosexual.
>>
Put it in a fire and burn away the chemicals. They're organic chemicals that definitely burn at fireplace temperatures. The can will begin rusting immediately though, but you can dip it in pine tar after you take it out of the fireplace, and thay should be a costing that at least for a while prevents rust
>>
>>2801265
>get a metal container that is designed to have things cooked in it
We could call it a 'pot'. Yeah. That's the ticket.
Quick! Off to the patent office.
>>
>>2801257
>stopped using BPA
They did not. Most cans use BPA based lining.
>>
>>2801263
Same method as removing teflon from cookware.
Be sure to save it for the next thread where the guy wants the can plastic added back to his
>>
>>2801258
You have it backwards. If you do gay acts, it will come off by itself.
>>
>>2801254
Easiest method is just to burn it away then use some baking soda, vinegar, and lemon juice to scrub away everything with some copper wire(prevents the can from scraping.
This will clean it and then after a quick soap and water to remove any residue it'll be ready for food-grade use!
>>
>>2802868
How do you remove teflon from cookware?
>>
>>2803484
You use cast iron or stainless instead.
>>
>>2801254
>How do I know if it has a plastic container and if any chemical like xenestrogens exist in it

soak a test can in acid that only consumes metal but not plastic.
>>2801257
if the label says 'bpa free' it just means they used some other bp.... like bpb.
>>
>>2801257
They replaced it with an analog that was just as bad. Apparently the leaching is really only noticeable in acidic foods.
>>
>>2804538
I think the fucking monsantos and 3Ms have made it difficult to find cast iron or stainless steel frying pans. It's all aluminum coated with teflon.
But yeah, cast iron or stainless ftw
>>
>>2804869
>It's all aluminum coated with teflon

About 5 years ago /ck/ told me ceramic coated pans won't last; my guess is that they turn the heat up to red hot or something because I got one and have used it daily for years and it's still brand new, and as easy to clean as any pan I've ever used. Far out lasts teflon in my opinion. As to the cast iron vs. stainless vs. aluminum-ceramic I don't have an opinion as I cook simple easy things that are not demanding.
>>
>>2804879
I forgot about those, although I have one. kek.
I season mine with oil.

The thing is with what you pay for a stainless steel frying pan, you can buy two or three teflon ones.
And at the supermarket it's not so easy to find stainless steel frying pans.

I don't remember how much my ceramic pan cost.
>>
>>2801254
Nobody is that stupid. OP is obviously trolling.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.