[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_4979.jpg (1.21 MB, 1170x1915)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
Australia can build nice modern metro stations, why can’t the US? New York’s city 2nd Ave Subway extension costed billions and the station built looked like shit, mid at best. Australia does the same yet builds great stations, all modern, functional with great station amenities and architecture. Metro trains are fully automated as well with platform screen doors on every station.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with mutts? This is not an Anglo-issue (London finishes Crossrail and Toronto is going big on transit expansions and major renovations), it appears only mutts are the outlier, why?
>>
>>1995195
We are rather corrupt and distracted.

This project did cost a lot for sydney-ans, but at the end of the day USians value public transport less. We are incredibly bloated in regards to construction, permitting, and everything like that. No only is there a cultural distaste for spending state money on both sides of the aisle when it comes to infrastructure, but it ends up so hampered with consulting and pandering that it just stagnates. Look at Cali's horrifying Hi-Speed Rail experiment.

Consider the problems of scale as well. The NYC subway has an annual ridership of 2 billion. The sydney Metro? 20 million.

I wish we were better too. The MTA and Port Authority need a Napoleon.
>>
>>1995195
Washington DC Metro had good looking stations and the trains looked nice inside.
>>
>>1995195
if i didn't know how SAS stations look like i'd say this sydney station looks utterly soulless. it is insane how much difference even a beige tone can make compared to full sterile white
>>
File: SydneyMetro29.jpg (3.52 MB, 4240x2832)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>1995223
I agree with you that Sydney Metro is awesome. They have my favorite aboveground metro stations of any in the world.
>What the fuck is wrong with mutts?
For some reason that I'm sure some Anon can answer, American municipal governments have the worst culture and norms of any in the world. Since it's city governments that often take the lead on public transit projects, and since the people in American city governments are literally brain-dead or chained to NIMBYs, American public transit projects are often smothered in the cradle, or ruined in the design phase.
>Had
I was just in DC. The underground stations in the core section are still very nice and pleasing to be in.
>>
>>1995231
First part was meant for >>1995195
>>
>>1995195
>New York’s city 2nd Ave Subway extension costed billions and the station built looked like shit, mid at best.
I'm not saying the 2nd ave line looks amazing but your pics aren't exactly attractive either. When I think of nice looking subways I think of either Mexico City brutalist style, or Russia/DPRK commie nightmare dystopia style. But maybe it's just me.
>>
>>1995195
1. This is literally Australia's only metro line, and it is brand new. It does not represent the country as a whole. A better comparison to the US would be the suburban train network of Sydney to SEPTA regional rail.
2. That doesn't look any better than SAS stations.
3. As this is a new metro line and system, automation and platform screen doors should be expected as standard. The newest US metro line is also automated with platform doors. SAS is an extension of a line from 1917, so it is bounded by constraints the Sydney Metro North West Line is not subject to.
4. Syndey metro is closer in scale to the JFK Airtrain than the Nyc Subway lol.
5. Can't speak to the politics of Australia, but the Nyc subway has numerous factors slowing it's expansion and modernization and ballooning its costs: corruption; state government, which is sometimes antagonistic toward the city, controlling a city service; contractors, sub contractors, sub sub contractors, sub sub sub contractors; unions; decades of deferred maintenance; hurricane damage and future risk of hurricanes; significant amounts of fare evasion, low fares compared to rest of world.
>>1995233
The former Soviet metros are beautiful
>>
>>1995195
>Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with mutts?
NY is just especially egregious here, even for the US. They wanted massive stations with full mezzanines and extensive back-of-house space, but refused to use cut and cover to build them because they didnt want to inconvenience dr*vers. As a result it takes far longer to build the station in the first place and building entirely underground is far more difficult. Eventually they were at least convinced to move some of the back-of-house space aboveground to cut costs. There's other issues as well, but that's the biggest factor. Compare to LA Metro's new D line extension, the first segment is on schedule to open next year and cost about 720$ million per mile, which is pretty close to the cost you see for other high income countries. Never thought I'd say the words, but I'm actually pretty proud of how well LA is expanding its transit system.
>>
>>1995195
Dude in Toronto our transit expansion is painfully slow and always delayed.

We have a line 4 years delayed and it's an LRT rather than full subway
>>
DC is probably one of the best US metro systems, they've actually managed to continue system expansions, decades after initial construction something most other US metros seem to fail at.

That being said DC paid out the ass for it, they did at least get the job done.
>>
>>1995195
Why are you crying goy?

Send more Dollarch to Chaim in Israel and Abracham in Ukraine ~
>>
>>1995195
>new station looks new
yeah no shit. New stations built in US looks nice too.
>>
>>1995195
does australia have black people?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.