[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: RDAdjust_006.jpg (164 KB, 1100x953)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>filters normies
>>
that's nuffin

the real filter is handbuilt wheels. people will pay the cost of a spoke tensioner to someone just so they will build their wheel by hand™
>>
What's worse to adjust: 3x front derailleur or rear derailleur? I'm voting front.
>>
File: IMG_9584.jpg (154 KB, 600x637)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>turn screw nothing happens
>>
File: implying.gif (854 KB, 220x220)
854 KB
854 KB GIF
they always do these videos on pristine brand new everything while wearing name brand workwear and a cool cinelli cap and the latest park tool everything in an air conditioned TV studio

how about you show me adjusting a 25k mile all season derailleur covered in filth with the cables frayed, cable housing fucked, ferrules gunked up with road filth, and a possibly bent derailleur hanger and sharktoothed everything, outdoors with sweat dripping in your eyes, using just a shitty pocket folding multitool, and show me how cool you look then huh?

literally when has anyone ever needed to fix up a derailleur in youtube conditions anyway, they're just doing it to mock me I swear to fucking god
>>
>>1995765
this
I build bikes from frame no problem but I stay away from wheelbuilding. I've replaced spokes but never built a wheel from scratch
>>
>>1995758
I only recently learned that the placement of the shifter cable above versus below the pinch bolt matters a great deal. I've always done above on my shimano mech, but my campy record derailleur needs to have the cable going below the bolt.
>>
>>1995795
>3x front derailleur
if it's indexed, then 3xfd is hardest. if it's friction, then it's easy. some shifters allow you to switch between index and friction, too.
>>
File: IMG_2610.jpg (2.47 MB, 4032x3024)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
>>1995798
>turn screw
>nothing happens
>inspect 32 year old derailleur
>low limit stop is missing
>leave negative feedback on eBay
>>
>>1995802
>how about you show me adjusting a 25k mile all season derailleur covered in filth with the cables frayed, cable housing fucked, ferrules gunked up with road filth, and a possibly bent derailleur hanger and sharktoothed everything, outdoors with sweat dripping in your eyes, using just a shitty pocket folding multitool
I would rather lay down and wait for my death.
>>
>>1995804
Yeah I made that mistake in my latest build. Was wondering why the shifting was so trash.
>>
>>1995810
Hard agree. Front indexing is meh all around, rear indexing makes sense to me.

The best shit is old campy micro ratchet front shifting, still surprised that's not a choice some where.

Friction front index rear, 2x9-10-11 is the goat
>>
When I went out for my ride today I noticed way more resistance on the shifter than usual when downshifting in the rear. Like it’s almost hard to move the lever. What do I need to adjust?
>>
>>1996060
Sudden increase in resistance is usually a sign that a cable is about to snap
>>
>spoke breaks on rear wheel
>in a location where you have to remove the disc, cassette and then STILL bend the new spoke 45° to get it aligned.

I HATE BICYCLES
>>
>>1996106
Skil issu
>>
>>1996073
Oh shit, that seems bad
>>
Who asked?
>>
>>1996130
You need a hug bro?
>>
>notice play in hub bearings
>pump up tire
>play is gone
hmmmm
>>
>>1995802
your problem for not maintaining your shit
>>
>>1995802
first step is dismantling it all and cleaning it properly, then assessing the parts for damage.
what you're describing is essentially 'put sum duct tape on it'. you're not addressing the problem, you're doing stopgaps.
>>
>>1996184
how is stopping to poke at it for 10 minutes on the side of the road when the shifting becomes intolerably bad not maintaining it? not all maintenance has to be preemptive. if it ain't broke...
>>
>got new bike a few months ago as a warranty replacement for another one where the frame cracked
>new bike has a brake pad pin with a small hex key hole
>rounds instantly
fucks sake. now I have to cash out for shimano brakes, at least those were reliable.
>>
>>1996229
Remove the old one (try a rubber band, use grip pliers, dremel a slit into it so you can use a screwdriver, slam a hex bit into it, drill it, reverse threaded tap,...) and just use a split pin instead, haven't come across a brake where that didn't work and I'm a professional wrench monkey.
>>
File: ezgif-2-e4c439d2d5.png (2.64 MB, 1872x2516)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
>>1996229
at least its not a flathead
>>
>>1995765
>>1995803
wheel building is fucking easy lol
I built a wheel from scratch in maybe 2 hours referencing tutorials while building
tension meters and truing stands are cheap too

the expensive and difficult parts is figuring out the length of spokes, and a spoke cutting/threading tool (~$2000)
>>
>>1996461
>tension meters and truing stands are cheap
The fuck they are.

>spoke cutting/threading tool (~$2000)
Never even heard of people cutting and threading their own spokes.

>difficult parts is figuring out the length of spokes
Yeah trigonometry is hard.
>>
>>1996461
how's that shit this expensive
>>
File: Capture.png (172 KB, 921x744)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>1996462
tension meters + truing stand cost $100 total

>>1996465
maybe because not many people use one
cheapest tool is $2000, industry standard is this phil wood tool
>>
>>1996469
>tension meters + truing stand cost $100 total
For chinkshit maybe. At that point I'd rather trust my frame as a stand to get a straight wheel, and might as well use my ears to check tension.
>>
Tensioning tools are a meme. If your wheel is running true then it means your spike tension is balanced. Also just use your frame as a truing stand. Wheel building being a dark art is the biggest meme in cycling.
>>
File: 51y7ODdwL0L.jpg (47 KB, 1000x890)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1996469
That's absurd. lmao. You just need need a way to hold the spoke firmly while you cut the threads with a $10 die. A vise or pliers, a hacksaw or nippers, a file and a $10 die are all you need.
>>
>>1996461
>in maybe 2 hours
that's the point, two hours is a lot for one task. and you can't mess it up at no point or you'll have a 4 hour job and/or spokes breaking in middle of nowhere. Might even say it's comparable to taking a motorbike engine apart, which is not rocket science either but an awful thing to have to do anyways. My LBS quotes 150 euros for an hour of mechanic work for reference.
>>
>>1996462
>Yeah trigonometry is hard.
you do all your spoke calculations longhand?
>>
>>1996523
those spoke machines don't cut the threads, they roll them with die plates. that Phil Wood machine is stupid expensive and everyone I know that's had experience with both of them says they prefer the Morizumi machine, which is comparatively quite a bit cheaper at $3800. I agree that there are certainly cheaper ways to do it, but these are shop tools that are meant to eventually pay for themselves when compared to those methods. Or if you're just building wheels occasionally, buy the correct size spokes to begin with.
>>
>>1996491
hear hear. better the frame than a budget truing stand fo sure. it's not a dark art but it's magic fo sure. and like everything you got to practice it.
>>
>>1996526
I'd rather buy a new bike than bring anything to a shop for that rate
>>
>>1996526
that doesn't seem unreasonable. if I recall what I paid last time I had my bike worked on, and how long it took them, that's comparable to mine. good skills should be compensated. I used to have a neighborhood LBS that was so awful I ended up learning to do a lot of things on my own but I don't think I'll bother with that anymore, my new place is awesome. last time I had them put in new brake pads and they literally rode it around the block for a few minutes to bed them in before declaring the work complete. my old LBS, you had to check everything they touched to make sure they torqued it down properly or you'd have about a 50/50 chance of dying on the way home.

basically if you have to learn things because "the shop guys are idiots" it just means your LBS sucks.
>>
>>1996539
Yeah I agree the high end places can be worth it if you have money and not time and are really into riding.
shit or community-y lbs staffed by kids or retarded adults have a very valid niche also

they offer a similiar level of work as someone at home with no experience could achieve themselves with the internet and most people are unwilling to learn or do anything.
>>
>>1996491
>t. runs overtensioned wheels
>>
>>1996595
I do this because I weigh 100kg and my dad had a 32 spoke wheel taco on him in the 90's built by a friend. Broken collarbone.
So i stay high strung on lower count wheels, I also love 36 spoke wheels.
>>
>>1996597
>doesn't know higher spoke tension generally means weaker wheels
>>
>>1996599
Are you going with the "it's higher tension so better chance of cracking the rim near the eyelets" play or is this something else?
Beyond that then more spokes=better since you can run lower tension and have just as strong a wheel.
>>
>>1996460
Bro
>>
>>1996469
Holy moly, boutique tools are such a meme...
For this money you can buy an entire industrial lathe.
>>
File: 65e.jpg (31 KB, 445x503)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1996460
>bolt got chewed by the metal beaver
aaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>1996531
It looks like. your "morimuzi" requires you to buy a different $3800 machine for every spoke gauge, whereas teh $10k phil wood can be adjusted for any thickness
>>
>>1996461
>DIY cutting and threading spokes
Thr ultimate mad lad
I'm horny to see pics of your gear
>>
>>1996640
>It looks like
Not sure where you looked, but that's not true. Thanks.
>>
>>1996613
>an entire industrial lathe.
ok?
>>
>>1996491
Unfortunately not the case, I regularly come across wheels that look like they're true or only slightly out of true while still having loose or - in extreme cases - even broken spokes.
>>
File: spokes.jpg (78 KB, 878x1070)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1996737
Am I missing something here?
>>
>>1996640
>can be adjusted for any thickness
you say that like it's a feature when it's in fact a bug
>>
>>1996832
You can choose which set of dies it comes with. 99% of spokes are with 14 or 15 g at the threads, so most shops are all set with that. If they need an additional set of dies, they're $300, so no need for another $3800 machine.
>>
>>1995802
>show me how to fix it with the least amount of care
>no derailleur hanger adjuster to fix the bent derailleur hanger which would render any indexing null and void
>no disassembly! just fix!!
>don't you dare clean it up with brake cleaner, feel the issue instead
>don't replace worn out components that are a few miles away from complete failure
>>
>>1995802
That's why I like RJ the bike guy's videos.
He's very skilled but he struggles in realistic ways and works on lots of old stuff and makes diy tools and stuff.

Most bike maintenance videos do sort of gaslight you into thinking you won't ever encounter unforseen problems and they are focused on up to date maintenance on in service newish parts which is not what most people do.
>>
>>1996919
I actually bought a derailleur hanger tool (after I found a bunch more videos that said the bike will assplode because they're not meant to be bent)

Well turns out the hanger wasn't bent anyway but now i have a single-use tool or as alton-brown says, a "unitasker", right now it's under a pile of shoes
>>
>>1996931
why did you think it was bent lol
you can eyeball it
>>
>>1996931
I am the opposite. 99% sure one of my bikes has a bent hanger but with friction shifting it works fine.
I noticed when I looked at the derailleur cage she is at an angle towards the wheel.
>>1996924
yup, I always check his videos if I need help. Sad to see him gone, but I appreciate the years of work.
>>
>>1996942
might as well bend it a little with a crescent wrench.
The Chain will run smoother.
>>
>>1996942
he's gone?
>>
>>1996946
It's been a year since his most recent video.
>>1996945
Did that initially, might go again if I care enough.
>>
File: IMG_6791.jpg (3.27 MB, 4032x3024)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>filters soiboys
>>
>>1996949
lol ok. have fun on your kids bike.
>>
>>1996949
a chainring that small is the opposite of masculine
>>
>>1996949
wheres the footy
>>
>>1996949
yep, bigboi bmx is where it's at. I got myself one recently and I love it already. When I pop a wheelie on my bigboi bmx in the downtown stoplight, stacys drop their panties while their chad bf opens a high five. I yell SEND IT, everyone claps
>>
>>1996980
I use mine to get to the skatepark so I can sell weed to the underage kids
>>
Bump because why not

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.