[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Lime bikes edition

RTFL:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

Old:
>>1994513
>>
>>1997101
it was probably off by about 50%, it doesn't really need to be insanely precise unless you're doing something dumb like running hookless 700x25 but if it's 40 PSI under the recommendation you'll feel it for sure
>>
>>1997286
Because they already did 99% of the work of making the worlds worst suspension linkage and then decided to put the worlds worst shock on it for some reason. If you want suspension get a real suspension bike with a real damped shock and a modern linkage that doesn’t suck away each pedal stroke, if you want 5-10lbs less weight and flawless tire support and road feedback get a real rigid bike. A mini-shock that doesn’t do anything with all the weight and disadvantages of a suspension frame is stupid (that bike gets a pass because the folding feature has the disadvantages of a suspension frame no matter what)
If you want undamped suspension, just get bigger tires, it’s basically the same thing at that point
>>
File: unracer.jpg (139 KB, 700x525)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
What do you guys do with your sealant when you go on vacation? I left my bike for 3 weeks once when I was traveling and a bunch of sealant coagulated in one spot. I'm going on a trip later this month where I have to leave my bike behind and I don't really want that to happen again. Do you drain and replace with water? Just drain and leave a little bit in there?
>>
>>1997298
I don't ride tubeless anymore because of this
If I was riding tubeless and had this issue I would just open the tire when I got home, add more, and ride.
Might uncoagulate then.
>>
>>1997300
Yeah I was hoping that would happen but nah. In fact I think it sort of acted as a collector because when the tire was done there was a much bigger clot on the exact same spot, and the bike got a horrible speed wobble that I didn't realize was from the tire until I replaced them and I could descend without my heart coming out of my mouth.
>>
what would you do if you caught somebody sniffing your bicycle seat? is that something that really happens?
>>
>>1997301
Dang. DESU I have left mtb tires for years with tubeless sealent in them, stans to be exact.
Generally it might clump to the bottom, but maybe since I don't use much sealent and it's a heavy AF tire it's less of an issue.
I have ridden tubeless with low amounts of sealent for quite a while, so that might be a good play for you.
>>
>>1997302
I have low T and am a misogynist so that wouldn't happen.
OTOH I do use my chin on my seat to hold the bike up while undoing the quick release...........................
But I mouth breathe then. It's a hack if you don't want to smell nasty stuff.
>>
File: ahem.webm (2.81 MB, 800x450)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>1997302
>>
Tubeless is for nerds anyway, real chads ride tubes with a spare on the frame.
>>
>>1997298
i'd recognize those wool socks (and bulge) anywhere
>>
>>1997309
what
>>
>>1997310
i said i'd recognize those wool socks (and bulge) anywhere
>>
>>1997302
ask him out on a date
>>
>>1997306
The best webm ever made.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP-yiAc3tzA
MANON VAGINA
VULVA
CLITORIS
>>
>>1997298
>replace with water
wtf no. just peel out the chunk and add new sealant. you don't need some egregious amount to the point where it's too expensive to replace it. i'll do like 30ml for a road tire, it's enough.

what's a good dual leg kickstand that you can just push off to retract? seems like thjey range from $40 to $140 and i don't want to get the cheapest thing and have it break within a week.
>>
>>1997366
>just peel out the chunk
That would require breaking the bead seal which I don't really want to do, and if I'm going to do that anyway, I'll just remove all the sealant before I leave
>>
>>1997375
you could probably just suck the majority of it out through the valve stem with a syringe. might not break the bead, maybe it will. certainly a lot less messy than trying to pour it out.
>>
so do you put grease between the inner surface of BB bearing and the 24mm axle?
>>
I put grease in EVERY crevice
>>
>>1997397
smother the whole deal in grease. every bearing, every surface they mate with. grease costs effectively nothing; go nuts.
>>
where can I buy foam tires in colone? I'm on welfare so poorfag, and I'm getting a used bike that has broken tires.
i only rode rental ones for 2 hours combined over the last 15 years so I know nothing about bikes, but not having to worry about pressure seems like a good thing. i dont mind if they're worse in other ways I just want to poorfag for long time and no maintenance.

literally any other advice or info I appreciate
>>
>>1997380
yeah but surely it would be best to inject something back in to replace it, right? like water to keep things nice and moist in there?
>>
>>1997444
They’re REALLY worse, I don’t think you understand, it’s like going from a skateboard on asphalt to a longboard on asphalt. Pumping up your tires twice a month is worth it
>>
>>1997445
no, there is absolutely no reason to do that. do not fill your tires with water.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1997447
what about sparkling wine? using a coravin to pour it through the valve stem, just like a regular co2. the trapped bubbles could serve as a reservoir to keep the tires from deflating while the natural hydrating properties of the wine keep the insides from getting too dry

I found this blanc de blancs that is from bourgogne but if you didn't know better you'd think it was a decent champagne, but the price is reasonable so I don't mind using it for temporary sealant
>>
>>1997445
Sealant is ammonia-based and more sealant will tend to dissolve the prior goop
>>
>>1997446
i dont want to be constantly worried about pressure and punctures and shit.

how much worse couldn't possibly be? its foam. you sleep on it, you sit on it, you walk on it
>>
>>1997474
just run marathons as big as your frame can fit.
>>
>>1997474
Not even fucking rent-a-bikes use foam it’s so bad, so slow, so jittery and so much more effort to go anywhere. The entire point of a tire (of any vehicle) is do deform and crumple against the terrain as easily as possible and a sheet of rubber with a bunch of air behind it does that job really well, foam doesn’t really crumple, it just dents and the resulting leftover shock is sent through your wheels, your frame, and ultimately to your torso to waste that energy literally jiggling the fat on your body instead of propelling you forward.

Works the same way with cars, nobody is using solid tires even if they’re thin as rubber bands, and cars handle puncture resistance by using a humongous solid steel mr tuffy strip
>>
>>1997474
The last time we used solid tires in bicycles was the early 1900's.
Sometimes you still encounter them on wheelbarrows, and those noticeably push worse then pneumatic tires.
>>
Is there any actual comfort benefit with gloves during summer road cycling?
>>
>>1997294
Are those dumb little ebikes fun? The limes
>>
>>1997480
that sounds kinda hot, actually. i want my ass to vibrate and my fat to jiggle when I ride.
>>
>>1997485
who we? if they sell them it means people use them.
>>
>>1997448
I fucking knew the recent shitting of the board was from someone from ck
>>
>>1997480
If a guy whose tires 'crumple' warns you of slow tires / tire inserts then those must be a really painfull experience.
>>
How difficult is it to strip and repaint a frame? I want to preserve some of the graphics (stickers?). It's chromoly steel btw. I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>1997514
this question comes up on /n/ about as often as "can I hitch a ride on a cargo ship because I'm too poor to pay for a plane ticket" on /trv/, and the answer is always the same, you're better off just buying a new frame in the color you want
>>
>>1997518
Is that actually a common question? How stupid would you have to be to try that, why would you want to be in another country when you don't have money?
>>
>>1997519
is that a real question? ok, so here goes. travel is a flex for middle/lower class people, the meme has its roots in "le grand tour" in victorian england, before the modern "stealth wealth" meme where everyone decided thanks to netflix that it was a good life strategy to wear a $800 sweater with an expensive tag only visible on the inside in the hopes that the old money would ask to see it and mistake you for fellow old money, announcing your youthful travel experiences (provided you were born in the first world and have at least several generations of first world lineage) was the most popular way of "showing you had money without announcing you had money". since most of the 99% actively simps for feudalism and unironically believes being born with money means you're a better person, many people mistook having travel experience for being a good person and would be willing to do a lot of stupid things just to be able to say they traveled. thank you for reading my blog please like and subscribe and yes I took my pills thanks for the reminder
>>
>>1997519
>why would you want to be in another country when you don't have money?
To get away from your creditors, of course.
>>
>>1997523
fair fair
>>1997522
I feel like traveling without money will just lead to having a horrendous time and potentially an even worse time trying to get back
>>
>>1997514
I don't know what the other reply chain is about , but painting a frame it's an easy and a fun activity.
When I was at university everybody did that in an afternoon at the park with a little bit of masking tape and a spray can. Hell my ex gf did that (on a new bike) so it's something that even an idiot whore can do.
Now, if you want to do a nice job it's another thing. But still fun. you got to disassemble everything, sand the frame, and do a thourough job with primer, spray gun and all. It's easy, You just need the tools and space to paint and dry your frame and parts, but it's a nice way to learn about bikes and do those yearly maintenance operations.
>>
>>1997527
>When I was at university everybody did that in an afternoon at the park with a little bit of masking tape and a spray can. Hell my ex gf did that (on a new bike) so it's something that even an idiot whore can do.
I highly doubt that's what people mean when they say repainting their frame
Painting a car is very easy as well otherwise, why care about key scratches on your frame, just spray over it

I'm not the other anon and I have no experience with it but I've heard a lot of people say it's pretty damn hard to do a job even remotely as well as factory pain jobs and takes a lot of equipment as you said.
>>
>>1997514
you're going to pay more for materials and tools than a nicer frameset with paint that you like would cost you.

It only ever makes sense on high end bikes, with sentimental value / that you know you like riding, and serious rust problems, and alongside a complete overhaul

As for preserving the decals, forget it, although you can get replacements (also expensive).

>>1997527
love this collective boomer memory of ruining garbage bikes.
>painting is easy
highly doubt you've ever done good work or even tried to. It's a lot of effort and it takes skill / practice and costs money.
Even the first hurdle of completely stripping and rebuilding a bike, to me, easy, is absolutely not easy to a noob.
>>
>>1997527
the fact you think that you need a spray gun confirms it
>>
gonna get a bike soon, only one I had before as a child and it didn't have any tranission and breaking was turning pedals backwards.
what should I know? what should I have? like tools or whatever
how do i fix broken tyres on the go?
is it going to be a problem if I ride on deflated ones?
can brakes fail? how so I test them and maintain them?
how to shift gears so I dont break something?
>>
>>1997532
You're overthinking things
>>
In my circles people just differentiate 'x distance paint jobs' meaning from x distance it looks fine.
>>1997530
is absolutely correct in terms of painting a bike such that the job looks the part even while youre on the bike or otherwise seeing it from up close is actually hard and not only a skill issue but also a question of being set up for the job. Even the worlds most skilled painters can't produce the same quality outside of the booth.
From any distance a rattle can or even rollers and brushes job done outside on a warm day after rain will look just fine.
>>
>>1997532
get a patch kit and pump with the bike. Check the instructions in the patch kit or check out a video online if youre still insecure.
You wont break stuff by normally using the controls of a modern bike. If the gear you selected sounds weird choose a different quieter gear. Thats about it.
Enjoy your bike
>>
>>1997534
i dont want shit to break

>>1997536
i only uses rentals and when I shift theres a loud klunk and a jump
not sure how modern the bike cause its old one getting passed on to me
>>
>>1997528
>>1997530
>>1997531
I did repainting works on cars, motorbikes and bycicles. It's fun, easy, and everyone with space and tools can do It. That's it, now you can fuck off to your lbs for the routine brake maintenance, nerd
>>
File: dreamslide.jpg (51 KB, 745x498)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I want something like Dreamslide, i.e. a standing bike with pedalling optimized for the standing position.
> ElliptiGO SUP
Just an expensive bike with a tall handlebar and standard pedalling. Meh.
> Micro Pedalflow
Same + dead.
> Halfbike
Everyone says it's exhausting to ride.

Does a bike that I want exist?
>>
>>1997538
>i dont want shit to break
It shouldn't, but here, since you're paranoid

>>1997532
>what should I know? what should I have? like tools or whatever
Nothing until you need it, then you can look it up and get it
>how do i fix broken tyres on the go?
Your tyres won't break unless things go HORRIBLY awry and then you can't fix them. The tube you can fix by patching the hole & reinflating or in an emergency just tying a knot in the tube where the hole is and reinflating
>is it going to be a problem if I ride on deflated ones?
Depends how long
>can brakes fail? how so I test them
Yes, everything can. You test them by using them
>and maintain them?
Depends on the brake type but for most you don't do anything until you notice there's an issue and then you can go from what the issue is
>how to shift gears so I dont break something?
unless you're treating your bike like a retard or it's ancient, nothing bad will happen. If you want to be a bit easier while switching, pedal at a lower speed than you were & don't switch while standing still but rather change gears in anticipation for standing still
>>
>>1997541
>nothing till you need it
but what if I'm outside and far away or need to be at work and it breaks
>patching
are cheap patch kits as good as expensive? is decathlon a good place to buy? (germany)
>tie a knot
brilliant
>how long
30-60 minutes?
>everything can
so how do i not die if my brakes fail?
>unless you're treating your bike like a retard or it's ancient, nothing bad will happen.
problem is I dont know if I am.
my old bike is like 30 years old, thick metal, heavy, no gears, no breaks (you pedal backwards). its impossible to go wrong with it or break it. i left it on my balcony in the snow for a decade and it was fine, just had to I flats the wheels.
and now bikes have gears and motorcycle brakes and its complicated.
>>
>>1997545
>but what if I'm outside and far away or need to be at work and it breaks
It's effectively just as likely something will happen that you didn't prepare for. The odds something happens that prevents you from getting home are minuscule because I'm assuming that the rides you're doing now aren't multi hour trips.
>my old bike is like 30 years old, thick metal, heavy, no gears, no breaks (you pedal backwards). its impossible to go wrong with it or break it.
I'm inclined to believe it was more likely to fuck up than any recent bike
>so how do i not die if my brakes fail?
You will not encounter the situation where they go from "working great" to "not working at all" because that's a critical error and the number one thing they avoid. In addition, you have two sets of brakes, so both would have to give out at the same time. If you're riding and one of your brakes gives out, it's time to go home safely
>>
>>1997548
not sure what could possibly break in it
a car drove over it once

>two brakes
but one us the front one, won't I fly over the front?

at what point it better to buy new tyres or tubes? are there any recommended cheap bike things?
thanks for info.
>>
>>1997550
I'll just sum up pretty much every single answer you're looking for
you can take care of your bike as much or as little as you want. On my older bike as a teen/young adult I never replaced the tires, I only replaced the tubes when they were at the point where patching it wasn't feasible. I never oiled or cleaned my chain, I never did anything to my brakes except change the brake pads, I never had any issues that require fixing on the road. I rode that bike for about an hour a day for like 10 years. The only real maintenance done on it was replacing the chain wheel twice and that's because I took zero care of it or the chain and I always rode one of the two hardest gears even uphill and even from standstill, so that force literally ground down the teeth. All that did was cause it to occasionally skip a link when I went over bumps or off sidewalks.

You can change your tires every half a year or X miles/km. You can tweak your brakes or replace the oil if they're hydraulic twice a year. You can clean your chain & relube it every single time you ride it. You can change tubes every time you get a leak. You can carry multitools that can do effectively every single thing you'd ever need to do if any part of your bike went wrong. You can bring spares and even bring spares for your spares. You can buy one of those arms to hold your bike to make maintenance easier.
But at the same time, you don't need to do any of that stuff.

You can spend as much time, effort and money into this hobby as you want.
If you truly are desperate, I'd say the three things that are most likely worth bringing on a ride in case shit goes wrong are a hand pump and a patch kit (with tire levers). You can probably get home on a flat, but hey it won't be as nice and will take longer.
>>
>>1997553
thanks anon. this makes sense.
also its not a hobby for me, I need it for transport, and bus is more expensive. but it might become one
i see that decathlon has pretty cheap patch kits and pumps and locks. though I'm not sure how reliable a 6 euro lock could possibly be, but hopefully noonee wants to steal an old bike
>>
>>1997557
>i see that decathlon has pretty cheap patch kits and pumps and locks. though I'm not sure how reliable a 6 euro lock could possibly be, but hopefully noonee wants to steal an old bike

Locks are this weird scenario where no lock will keep your bike safe if they want your bike hard enough, so you have to spend money as a deterrence instead and should spend on three factors. How desirable your bike is, how unsavory the places you're planning to leave them are and how long (including overnight) you're planning to leave them there. If your bike is reasonably undesirable and you don't live in a shithole, most likely the only people who would steal it are just because it's easy and want a single ride, so just about any lock that you can't open by looking at it will do the job.
>>
>>1997557
be careful, if you live in a place with a lot of bikes going around, chances are they'll take even a rusty old piece of shit if it's locked with one of those wire locks that can be cut with a 20cm bolt cutter.
>>
>>1997298
had notubes selant sitting idle 3 months and it was just fine when I took the tire off
>>
>>1997561
reasearch how to make a bike ratty. It foes work. Also lock it adjacent to an expensive motorized bike.
>>
>>1997294
>OMG SUPER RARE HARD TO FIND ONE OF A KIND VINTAGE!!!!!

Why are craigslist boomers like this?
>>
>>1997514
for a crap rattlecan job, you can put masking tape over all the parts which is time consuming but less time consuming than taking everything off and putting it back on again.
however then you have to at least sand the whole surface atleast and little so the paint will absorb and stick, or else the new paint will just peel off of the smooth original paint.
MAYBE with careful masking you could preserve the decals but unless the new color exactly matches the old color, you'll see the old color between the letters and inside the O, D, etc.
you can buy new decals for some brands but most models there's not an exact match out there. you could always just choose new decals that you like better , rather than what the bike came with. scam artists will do this to sell a crap frame as a nice Specialized etc.
it'll look like shit compared to a factory or pro repaint, but you get a color you like. clear coat after. put any new decals on before clear.
doing it the real way involves stripping all the parts off (which will require a few special tools) and either chemical strip/sandblast/hella sanding to strip the old paint, prime, sand, prime, paint, sand, x2, clear. pros use a paint sprayer not rattlecan. but then you have a huge chore of not just reassembling the bike, but also tuning both brakes and derailleurs. and getting your fit back perfect.
>>
>>1997532
>how do i fix broken tyres on the go?

carry a spare tube or patch kit (I like having both, they're light), a mini pump, and tire levers for emergency flats. follow park tool link in op for how to use them.

>>1997532
>is it going to be a problem if I ride on deflated ones
yeah. don't do that. if you don't have your emergency kit, then walk the bike home or call your mom. riding on a flat will put more holes in the tube and the rim isn't designed to take that stress without the tire cushion, it'll bend it or otherwise fuck it.

>>1997532
>can brakes fail
everything in the universe can fail. but brake failure is really rare.
you're overthinking everything. get a bike and ride it. use the buying general, there's actually one up currently.
>>
>>1997540
never seen that but looks kinda neat for very casual riding. if you want something to travel further than your neighborhood you'll want a real bike not a meme, though
>>
>>1997572
I already have a real bike.
I'm not looking for anything fast, I want something enjoyable. I hate sitting on a bicycle.
>>
>>1997575
go for it, I guess.
never seen any discussion of them here, you're probably on your own.
>>
>>1997540
>>1997575
You're likely not looking for a bike but some weird scooter thing, since bikes aren't exactly a casual cozy ride when standing
There's some things where you're supposed to rock your weight back and forth to propel it and I think there's like the left & right flat pedal one

Look at these for example
https://youtu.be/8WMO5HBNkL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ui6xH-7bY
>>
File: 1715970571481159.jpg (621 KB, 1536x2048)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
>>1997575
>real bike
>jesus' old hunk of slow shit
>>
>>1997559
>>1997561
alright, I understand. went to the store and holy duck these shits are heavy.
how about something like this?
https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-lockmaxx-bl-u-lock-2682470?article_size=6639&product_shape=42
https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-lockmaxx-cl-120-k-chain-lock-2682473?article_size=7456&product_shape=42

or do i need more heavy like this
https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-lockmaxx-cl-100-k-chain-lock-2682564?article_size=6499&product_shape=42

none of these are sadly available in cologne so I'm not sure where to look.
and I'm not sure how much people steal them here, there are hundreds of bikes parked literally everywhere.

>>1997571
bought patch kit so I'm gonna have it ready.
>buying general
I'm getting an old uses one passed down soon, just need to patch the tyres on it
>>
how do i make my ass stop hurting from riding the bike? like where the ass and thighs meet
>>
>>1997550
The front brake is the most important brakes and supplies over 70% of your bike’s total braking power. “Don’t use your front brake!” is advice only given to 4-year olds in the parking lot with next to zero intelligence, hopefully you’re better than that. Basically unless you’re sitting down over bumps (a very bad choice when making maneuvers) or pointed 45° downwards, you’re not at risk of accidentally going overthebars/OTB from front brake, and if you are sitting down or pointed 45° downwards it’s still not that hard to know how much brake to grab (and more importantly, what your arms are doing. Remember your biceps are supplying most of the downwards force, and therefore grip, on your front tire, slamming on the front brake properly is an entire-body exercise)
>>
>>1997602
well no one gave me any advice but not having used handbrakes I keep two fingers on the back one and one on the front, so I dont go over.
how do i do it properly? its stressful cause I need to hold it in my hands instead of just slamming on the back pedal
>>
>>1997602
I disagree, I'll probably get dogpiled for this but both brakes are equally important, they're just there for different reasons. Under perfect, dry road conditions, straight line, no gradient, with an imminent collision, the front is your friend. But that's like almost never. If you're on questionable surfaces, especially while turning, the front brake might be a good way to crash. That could happen if the front wheel hits something like a patch of oil or a wet metal surface, or if a hard bump makes your hand clench the levers to maintain grip.

Safe and effective operation of the brakes requires knowing when to use which lever, and most of the time it's both.
>>
>>1997604
The factor that makes the front brake more important is simply the fact that you are moving forwards and the law of inertia. If you were going backwards, your rear brake would provide over 70% of the total brake power.
But yes, your front wheel is also responsible for keeping you upright and losing traction in the front is WAY more dangerous than losing traction in the back. You NEVER want your front tire to slide, so sure, be aware of that when wailing on the front brake. Still though, as you brake and your weight transfer forwards, you apply more weight to the front and get more grip out of it, lessening the chance of slipping.
You gotta know when and how to slam the front brake yeah, but it’s still by far the most important one here, with the most possible braking power (when going forwards)
The whole “two tires doing two different things” I do agree with, it I feel is a bit too advanced for someone who’s still questioning whether he should ever use the front brake. He doesn’t need to learn front wheel braking dynamics and rear wheel braking dynamics for specific maneuvers or specific terrain, he just needs to hear that yes you are supposed to use the front brake and yes you are supposed to use body language to brace yourself during that brake, braking is a skill not a lesson
>>
>>1997598
if bike it's really old the first u lock might work , If budget is tight. But if you live in big cities a top kryptonite or abus might be a good investment. Always attach the frame (and back wheel if possible) to a fixed object. I've never lived in koln though. I know in germany they usually have pretty valuable bikes going around so your pos might get ignored.
Also, i'll spare you the lesson, patch kit are useless (as in they don't work or are just a temporary fix and you'll have to change the tube anyway). Just buy a thick or double tube like a schwalbe AP or that decathlon with sealant, and you'll never have to change it (provided you have still fine rim tape and tires)
>>
>>1997599
If you mean your taint try bike shorts, a different seat, or adjusting your current seat/fit.
If it's a chaffing issue run thinner shorts/pants.
If you haven't been riding frequently do that, and take a little break when it hurts a lot. Your body will toughen up and get used to riding the bike.

Also, stand up when you can to avoid bad bumps. Helps a TON.

>>1997603
relax. Use them both at the same time in normal stops, preferably with the same pressure. If you see some sketchy road(sand, oil, water) then take it easy if you are going straight. If you are turning try to avoid braking, but if required use the rear mostly in those sketchy turns.
As you go around a corner some of your grip is required for turning. So the harder the turn the less front brake you want to use, better yet come in slower then required and you are fine.

Just keep riding, if you want use 2 fingers on the brakes. I do this since as a kid my hands were weak and small, but I weighed a lot so 2 finger or more braking was comfortable.
>>
>>1997609
but the weight is on the back...
>>
>>1997613
Not when you’re decelerating it isnt
>>
>>1997610
I'm on gibs so I dont have much money, I guess I could spend up to 30€ on a decent chain, if I knew which one that was.
>patch kits are useless
damn. i bought two today. but also I saw that tunes cost like 3 euro also? i dont know any parameters tough so not sure how to go about it.
i dont know if there is rim tape, or what it is probably not.
are the double tubes and the sealing one expeisnve?

>>1997611
makes sense. i only rode rental bikes so far and they have really rough plastic seat. a padded cover is like 7 euro so I might consider that.

alright makes sense, thanks.
i use two fingers cause otherwise it feels like I'm not even holding the bars and its scary. can't ride one handed yet even

>>1997614
i guess that makes sense...
>>
>>1997615
tunes = tubes
>>
>>1997294
That's Paris
>>
>>1997615
patch kits work fine, just watch a video on how to do them.
One time I patched a motorcycle tube with a bike tube kit. proceeded to do 500miles at 70mph over the next day or two.
Still holds air.
Most of my tubes have patches on them.
>>
>>1997618
seems straightforward enough, rough the surface, put glue till it dries, put the thingy on the glue
right?
one of the kits I bought doesnt have glue though, hopefully 5ml goes long way
>>
>>1997615
Yes, from 10 to 15 euro a pair. But feel free to find by yourself if 3 euro tubes+patches work
>>
>>1997620
I'll try to find those double ones. there is so much stuff its overwhelming.
>>
>>1997491
They're like the forklift game in shenmue - because of the limiter, they basically just go at one speed at all times and that's "not very fast, but at least I'm not sweating", you just steer, needleess to say the steering isn't very agile either but it does what it needs to do. I wish I was that saddle, what I would give to be the saddle. They require a bit of technique to get up on the curb, due to the weight. I guess if you're a real tough guy, you can just pick it up with your pinky finger, but I mean for normal people, it takes technique. Also you have to be a little careful dismounting while aiming for the dock, because if your pedal is a partial revolution from the 6 o'clock, standing on it like it's a normal bike could launch you into a stationary object causing others to laugh at you.
>>
>>1997626
>that part
kek
>>
>>1997620
schwalbe AP is 13€ for 1... its ogre..
>>
>>1997603
I just use them both equally. I've been riding since before there was 4chan, it works well
>>
>>1997631
>this is a sign someone is old now
Thanks for making me feel old
>>
>>1997633
its really been forever since 2004. so much shit happened.
>>
File: pinch_flat.jpg (370 KB, 1100x816)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>1997309
>>1997312
The least gay /bqg/ poster
>>
>>1997624
There really isn't too much stuff to learn. It's just that everyone here Tries to spare you the learning curve. You're free to just go out with whatever you have and learn by yourself like everybody, having a flat and buying a spare tube at the first shop, getting your bike stolen etc etc.
>>
>>1997657
hope I dont get it stolen, can't really afford it
guess I'll just ride rentals if that happens
its just a lot of info.
>>
>>1997610
>patch kits are useless
LMAO
in some bikes I have tubes that are made up of more patches than tube.
WYM
>temporary fix
must be a skill issue
>>
>>1997681
>LMAO WYM muh skill issue
Lol lmao kek you do you. This is my experience. Are you seriously suggesting that in a commuting setting taking out your tube, inspecting it for leaks, and applying a high quality patch is something easier, cheaper and more reliable than swapping the tube? Also patches are useless, yes, because for commuting you should prioritize a reliable tire+tube setup that minimises flats, not carrying around patches so you could spend some quality time on the side of the road, in a frosty morning or in the dark, trying to apply muh patch with freezing hands.
>>
I have a shimano 9 speed with a SRAM cassette and a rusty KMC chain

I need a new chain should I get a Shimano, kmc or SRAM?
afaik they're interchangeable
>>
>>1997688
is there a reliable tire and tube for cheap or do you need to pay a lot?
>>
>>1997619
Use self adhesive patches
I like the slime ones becuase theyre green
>>
>>1997688
My commuter is on marathons and AP tubes and only the rear has one patch so far.
And yes. That is exactly how I do it. When I have a sudden failure (as in no slow leak I can get through the day with pumping it when needed) I swap in a spare tube which, just like the tube that comes out, may have several patches. I then fix my tube once I get down to it and it's a spare again. This is mostly for conveinience. When out on a fred sled I dont carry spare tubes, only the pump. If needed I will push to the next place I know I can get air, patch the tube and fill her up again. I have not yet observed that patches applied at the roadside fare worse than those applied at home.
So ... did I understand you correctly, that is when you puncture you swap the tube for a brand new one and toss the old ? It's not very sustainable IMO. And with some tubes the argument of cost could even be made.
>>
>>1997699
I forgot to mention: Patching is way faster with most IGHs, like on my commuter. So regarding the rear I will always first see if it can ne patched in situ.
>>
>>1997688
Patch kits are much easier to bring than entirely separate tube
What do you do with the tube when you get home? Do you toss it?
Come on now anon, be realistic.
>because for commuting you should prioritize a reliable tire+tube setup that minimises flats
Any tire+tube setup can still get flats, no matter how uncommon it is
>>
>>1997703
This guy gets it. Depending on the bike its not realistic to bring a tube at all. And even when commuting and you are swapping tubes, more often than not you can still fix the tube and have your spare back. Lastly, as mentioned, on some wheels its way too much of a hassle to take the wheel out entirely.
>>
>>1997697
how do i tell which ones those are?ithe kit without glue was from decathlon

>>1997700
what's IHGs?
>>
>>1997703
not him but
>pull out tube
>take out valve core and fold up tight
>install new tube and go
I always take them home and patch them, but i do carry patches in case of an emergency.
>>
are cheap tubes a lot worse than expensive ones? all the damage goes into the tire, no?
>>
>>1997719
good more expensive tubes are better than good budget tubes but don't expect them to be like 5x as good or whatever the price difference is.
>>
>>1997722
how much are good budget ones? got any names?
>>
>>1997707
internal gear hub
>>
>>1997703
tpu tubes are tiny you could put one in your pocket
you need to carry pump or inflator anyway wether you use tubes or patches

i dont carry anything because im protected by god
>>
>>1997733
honestly chink tpu tubes, specifically the off bondage ones are so good for what you pay. they're like 3 dollars each and are way easier to patch since you are not dealing with that vulcanizing cement. fuck the ridenow ones though, every single one i have bought has failed so quickly. In general I don't think they offer any more puncture protection, but they certainly aren't worse than any standard butyl tube.
>>
File: 71SDlSxZFVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (127 KB, 994x1449)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1997736
>they're like 3 dollars each
I'd never heard of this brand. Packaging looks like
Those Amazon resellers are making $$,
>>
>>1997696
they're all pretty reliable. some have flat protection, which makes them more reliable at the expense of other factors , and the flat protection may cost more but, eh, regular marathons are pretty cheap. cost goes up for low weight, low rolling resistance, foldable, tubeless compatible, "supple" sidewalls ; stuff like that .

tubes are pretty much all the same: byutl rubber. there are more expensive compounds that are lighter and loose air pressure more quickly and need special patches but for byutl just get whatever's cheapest in your size
>>
>>1997733
>>1997736
have been using the Cyclami ones off ali on my fredsled for several hundred miles now. they're pretty great. love the patches that just stick on. they look just like clear contact paper aka shelf paper you can get at the supermarket. going to experiment with that at some point but buying the Cyclami patch kit is cheap and gets you closer to the price point where they give you free shipping so no big deal to buy it
>>
is this kind of lock good enough for an older bike?
is 8mm chains enouh? is it too much? looks heavy. im the newfag
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Sportneer-Security-Performance-Anti-Theft-Motorcycle/dp/B08XXDDWRN/
>>
Would there be a noticeable difference in durability when comparing the different protection/execution versions of the Schwalbe Hurricane? Aka Greenguard, greenguard DD, raceguard, raceguard DD, performance, etc. I think the Green Guard DD is supposed to be higher protection but I'm not sure how noticeable it actually would be in the real world, since it's an extra 6€ I'm not sure if it's worth it if it's basically the same tire
It's like 6€ extra for a pair if I want the reflective strip version and I'm not sure if I should bother
>>
>>1997733
is it worth replacing my current stock tubes with these for the weight? or is the difference negligable?
>>
>>1998028
id say its worth it because wheel and rim weight has the biggest impact on acceleration vs weight anywhere else on the bike. also they are cheap.
also the tpu material is supposed to be lower rolling resistance vs butyl.
if you are replacing your spare tubes for tpu from butyl, that weight difference would be negligible.
>>
>>1998028
I replace tubes for fun sometimes
>>
>>1998028
if it's on a bike built specifically to go fast, I would say yes. if not, I don't think it matters but I don't think it'll hurt anything. they're super thin, so maybe more prone to punctures? but if something makes it through your tire it's gonna puncture byutl also? not sure, but that's how it works in my head
>>
File: 1716162046043.jpg (169 KB, 1480x987)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
where can i get handlebars like this for cheap?
>>
>>1998031
>wheel and rim weight
i meant tire and rim weight
>>
File: IMG_9077.jpg (64 KB, 325x480)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
I’ve never seen a black person ride with their saddle at the proper height

Do they just not know they’re adjustable?
>>
>>1998061
I'm brown not black but I ride with my citi bike saddle lower than "proper height" because it's easier to put my foot down at the light and I'm not concerned if some autist who just found out about sheldon brown thinks I'm doing it wrong (the other thing you people do is yell at me to shift to a higher gear because watching me spin at 90+ rpm is apparently a sign that I'm a noob)

On my crabbon fred sled I actually do care about biomechanical efficiency and proper angles and shit, and I paid for the meme bike fit with the motion capture because I am a fred but if you're sperging over bike fit on a 50 pound boat anchor I'd say you need to find better things to worry about. Have you ever actually used one of those things btw? I suspect not
>>
>>1998064
Wtf

I use them weekly. It’s a step thru frame..not sure how seat height affects getting on and off ….

Most people I see are in the highest possible gear pedaling like 20 rpm with the seat all the way down riding on the sidewalk…it just doesn’t have to be that hard
>>
>>1997688
>in a commuter setting
whether or not you're actually pressed for time is highly situational. So that's a 'sometimes'
>in bad weather / low light
also highly situational, and both can often be changed by simply walking under cover or under a street light, so also 'sometimes'

>for commuting you should prioritize a reliable tire+tube setup that minimises flats
Definitely agree, but i still commute on nice road tires because it's faster, comfier, and more fun. They're just newish and not jankily installed.

There can actually be something slightly meditative about stopping on the side of the road, relaxing a bit, and patching a tube. It's 20 minutes to have a break and think about stuff. You could even buy a beer and drink it there or something depending on where you are. This idea of always being in a rush and always being too busy to do a task is not a healthy one and the root of it is usually that you are frightened of the task and don't know how to do it. It, like most things, is only stressful when you're learning how to do it. That's you.
>>
>>1997988
that would succumb to small boltcutters easier than a d lock, but should resist side cutters, which is what most thefts are, and the most important thing to protect from (side cutters can take cheap cable locks).

I like to combo an obscenely flimsy cable lock (light to carry around) that you could cut with a pair of strong scissors, not to stop theives, but just to keep honest men honest, with a d-lock, that i leave at the bike rack outside work or use for leaving it for long periods in town. Often use both.

That's better imo but the one you link should be fine and more useful for locking to random street furniture and trees than a dlock (one reason to combo a dlock with a cable)
>>
>>1998037
aliexpress have many variants of meme bars like that search 'bikepacking handlebar'

Just be careful of aliexpress bars which are suspiciously light, some of the one's i've bought have been so flexy that they're practically useless, and i've had a pair fold in half on landing from 10 cm of air.

It's not even a criticism, just that the chinks are willing to minmax specs in a way that western companies won't. There's no magic to cheap/light/strong.

Also those jones esque bars are hideous and while the ability to strap cargo on the middle is useful, a super wide grip for long distance riding is not ergonomic imo, and having aero positions doesn't make up for it.
>>
>>1998064
based chad cruise, I do this on my beach cruiser with 40/22 singlespeed gearing and extra wide 762mm handlebars so they can't pass between me and traffic, everyone seethes so hard and I slow everyone's roll lmao My favorite is when a car blocks the bike lane, then I'm forced to go on the street and cages are forced to slow their roll. I think my bike tops out at 15mph and cruises at 7mph, it's so slow lmao
>>
>>1998068
boltcutters can really cut through 8mm easily?..
should I get a ulock then?
>>
>>1998078
i reckon yeah but iunno
>>
>>1998078
u lock is better(if you get a strong one), but harder to find bike racks to lock to. So you make the call based on where you can lock.
Oh, and lock the front wheel with at least a cable lock.
>>
>>1998107
yes
also this is why ulock + cable is good, if there's say only a tree to lock to, you can still lock the rear wheel to the frame with the ulock so it can't be ridden, and secure it to the thing with the cable lock.
>>
>>1998066
>It’s a step thru frame..not sure how seat height affects getting on and off …
Most people don't dismount at a light, so either you literally never stop (unsurprising knowing the average citibike rider) or you also take off your pants every time you need to pee, not sure which
>>
>>1998110
but someone can just carry it
>>
>>1998128
feels good man.
>>
>>1997988
what i do is slide a sausage into my seat tube every week, at the end of the week, take the sausage out, and feed it to my dog, after a while i could put the sausage further and further afield and now he can track it in a 10km radius, so if my bike is ever stolen i'm fairly confident we can just walk around the city together around the homeless encampments and get it back. He'll fight for the sausage too.
>>
>>1998064
just step forward off the saddle
>>
>>1998141
Or I could just keep taking one foot off the pedal and stay in the saddle because it's less work
>reeeee you have to get a retul fit for your citibike reeeeee
What is wrong with you people
>>
>>1998157
not him but i prefer correct leg extension on a cruiser, not to make it easier to pedal, but to make it easier to unweight the saddle over bumps or popping curbs, which makes cruising more comfortable.
>>
>>1998157
>What is wrong with you people
This is 4chan
>>
>>1998157
>Whats wrong with you people
I have a hard time buying the story of someone owning a fred sled, even getting a fit on it done but feeling the need to do weird things at lights.
I mean of course, anyone can buy anything and thus it's not an indicator of experience and skill but still weird AF.
>>
>>1998162
>weird things
Taking your pants off to pee is the weird things, most people who do not cycle for sport will naturally and instinctively gravitate towards the normal method which is to just put one foot on the ground, and remain in the saddle. This is why noob cyclists have to be specifically told that it's less efficient, and why high saddle becomes a way of showing off that you're hip and with it because you have "the knowledge" and why bikes marketed to freds like me are always pictured with maximum seat post showing, and the steerer tube cut. But no amount of "the knowledge" will make dismounting less work than keeping your ass in the saddle.

Hence why people who are riding a fred sled to commute on will unclip and stand with their pants down, while everyone else just stays in the saddle because they don't have far to go, their saddle is nice and low, and they're going to spend at least as much time at a light as they are going to spend turning the pedals. You have a hard time buying it, because you don't ride in cities, let alone at all, you just got lost from your urbanism real estate spam threads, which you are invited to return to now.
>>
>>1998158
>unweight the saddle over bumps
Why though, the bumps are all absorbed by those 25 psi monster truck tires, the whole point of a citibike is you can steamroll anything whether it's rats or broken bottles or potholes the size of yankee stadium, no steering needed, no unweighting required
>>
>>1998167
Introducing: the assraper 9000
>>
>>1998167
so you smash your balls going over a curb huh?
also likely to slip off the pedals in the wet because you're not actually even standing on them, and if you are from a low seated position then it's a feat of strength and effort.

I don't even consciously do it, it's just how you learn to ride a bike when you ride bikes much.

>citibikes are really comfy
they're fucking not.
>>
>>1998168
I guess this is the part where you call me the noob because I don't feel the need to hop curbs like that, there is exactly one dock where I have to do this and I just dismount and lift. If you can sagan a 50 pound boat anchor up a curb like it's nothing you're a better cyclist than me.
>>
as an aside i have long feet and with correct saddle height i can stop and point my toes and lean the bike a little and stay seated
>>
>>1998169
Riding on sidewalks is dangerous, rude, and technically illegal, not that I ever see it enforced but just saying. I guess you're one of those juvenile delinquents who doesn't care, didn't know your kind came to /n/
>>
>>1998171
you don't even go down them?
>>
>>1998174
Of course I go down them but then what? I have 20 blocks to go, so 1 curb for every 20 lights? Think I'll adjust the seatpost for the lights but you do you, guess we can't all be math whizzes.
>>
>>1998173
More people consider it dangerous and rude for you to always ride your slow cruiser on the road.

The footpath is for pedestrians, and you should obviously defer to them, but not all footpaths are crowded and there is a clear social license for bicycles to situationaly use the footpath. It can be safer, more courteous and more efficient, for everyone.

What you are suggesting is actually pedantry and entitlement and will leave many drivers thinking 'get the fuck off the road'. Not juvenille, because, childlike instincts and behaviours are usually joyous and pure, but the worse kind of cunt adult thinking.
>>
>>1998175
>his city bikes don't have dropper posts
>>
>>1998181
Thank you for reminding /n/ that John Forester did nothing wrong
>>
>>1998183
i like to draw a distinction between cycling and cruising
>>
>>1998185
Average motor vehicle speed is less than my cruising speed even on a citi bike, have you considered not being 15 feet wide?
>>
>>1998186
have you considered my butthole?
>>
>>1998173
>Riding on sidewalks is dangerous, rude, and technically illegal
Everyone in my street rides their bike on the sidewalk because the street is a very rough cobble road
It's significantly safer to ride on the sidewalk
>>
>>1998187
No, I only got for bottoms who are cute and have good hygiene, I'm sure you'll find someone though!
>>
File: huge.jpg (19 KB, 131x125)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1998187
I am now...
>>
>>1998186
average car speed over here must be 40+mph including stopping at red lights. You will regularly get passed with them going 55mph while at best I do 20-25mph.
>>
>>1998194
I figured the overlap between the citibike map and places like that was approximately zero but admittedly I haven't kept track on how far it has expanded, are there docks out in nassau/suffolk now?
>>
>>1998185
Me too, cycling is gay while cruising is chad
>>
>>1998199
sounds like you're cruising for a bruising
>>
Hi everyone! Few Q
1. I own bike with Front derailleur: Microshift Marvo and Rear derailleur: Shimano Altus M2000. I want to convert bike to drops, can this derailleurs work with Sora drop shifters?
2. I'm having issue with pinky and ring finger getting numb, google says I need more hand potions and better paddling in gloves. Maybe some one also had this issue?
>>
>>1998206
>1
If your shifter matches the speeds you have in the back it should work. Do make sure the cable pull is the same. If it's not you will get weird shit going on.
>2.
more hand positions help, other wise bigger, cushier grips, or putting more weight on your ass instead of your hands.
On my flat bar bike I sometimes do a "palm" grip where I hold the outside of the bars in the palm.
>>
Why the fuck did road bikes prohibit room for larger tires? Roads are shitty now, and they were extra shitty 120 years ago. Who the fuck thought riders should be limited to 19-25mm tires, MAX.

Looking at century old frames, they absolutely thought of the future, that perhaps riders might enjoy larger tires someday
>>
>>1998209
Look how sick this design is. The seat tubes split to fit a big ole.hoop for smooth rolling
>>
>>1998209
The idea was hard skinny tire=fastest.
They were also designed for tubulars initially, which act more like tubeless in that they are more comfy even at smaller sizes.

Many tires that were for racing bikes were also fairly supple and got flats easily.

People also weighed less, and the roads around here were like glass, or so I am told.
I do enjoy riding 23's on nice road, and I find it doesn't bother me too much if I take a nice route.
>>
I need a cheapest gravel bikel that meets all these requirements:
- aluminum frame and fork
- thru-axles front and rear
- one-by drive train
- derailleur with a clutch
- hydraulic brakes
Chinese bikes or components are fine too as long as they meet the requirements from the list.
>>
>>1998219
yuck fuck off
>>
>>1998171
>>1998165
>not dismounting for peak efficiency
>also frantically dismounting and portering bikes
>plebbit space for good measure
>>
File: mafac cen.jpg (1.33 MB, 3024x4032)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>1998209
this is pure semantic nonsense
sporty bikes with wide tire clearance have always existed
>>
>>1998209
tire clearance isn't free real estate, tite gapz are aerodynamic.

It's a significant speed penalty at higher speeds to have room between your tires and frame.
>>
File: wymanon.jpg (266 KB, 1080x858)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>1998209
wymanon ?
tires used to be balloney.
it was only later that skinnier tires were available.
>>
>>1998226
Idk bout that, seems like there wasn't much except the occasional cross bike from 1980-2005 or so.

>>1998229
Idk desu https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Today_s_Strange_Looking_Tri_Bikes_8533.html
>>
>>1998225
>reddit invented qwerty
zoom zoom zoom
>>
>>1998231
>bikes with big tire clearence from 1980 -2005
Off the top of my head
all touring bikes(miyata 1000, fuji touring series, lotus models, and more)
hybrids. 700c 40mm+ tires
mtb's(oh no)
cyclocross as you said
many lower spec road bikes as well
Specific models are annoying, but look for touring bikes first, and hybrids. I have road bikes from that era that fit 28's
>>
>>1998234
don't forget all the sport tourers from like the early to late 80s. those are the most common ime.
>>
File: Screenshot_7.png (1.52 MB, 779x813)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
These rings are garbage aren't they?
>>
>>1998239
smallest might work. others look fucked. you can replace them using alibaba/eBay spares.
>>
>>1998219
you'll be better off in the bike buying thread, if it's still up
>>
>>1998239
these look like what mine looked like before replacing them
>>
>>1998239
chainrings are supposed to outlast your frame. that middle ring looks like it got grinded on a curb
>>
I'm getting an annoying clicking sound when pedaling down on the right crank arm. Sounds like the best solution is to investigate pedal first, then investigate bottom bracket if pedal isn't the issue.

I have a Wellgo flat pedal. Any idea if they're a pain to service? Read that it can be fiddly without the right tools. My local bike kitchen is well stocked but if it's a tough tool to match to a pedal then I might buy new pedals
>>
>>1998250
"supposed to" the quality varies wildly. I've had some really shitty stamped metal chain rings that wear down very quickly, and I've seen some beautiful CNC machined steel chainrings that have lasted decades.
>>
>>1998251
Most wellgo are cup and cone. Easy to service. Unless you dont happen to have a good variety of sockets and weird spanners or whatever xou might need for adjustment. Also once lost the plastic end cap of a welgo after serviving.
In short: If it doesnt have play in any direction and doesnt grind don't touch.
Its notoriously difficult to discern where on a bike the clicking comes from. People have changed BBs only to later find it was a cracked saddle or something similarly funny. So check your time, do your due diligence, apply the brakes, load one pedal, try the other, pull the bars, push the pars, twist the frame, inspect for cracks, check the seat collar, and so on. It may not be your pedals or BB. When in doubt think before you replace. Dont start off replacing the most expensive parts only to find it wasn't that.
>>
>>1998259
This is really just a BB issue, every noob bike enthusiast's babby's first mystery noise is blamed on the BB no matter what. It's a combination of BB being the most "down there" of the vague area "down there" that the sound is coming from, and the fact that knowedge of the BB existing comes after learning the more basic stuff like tires, spokes, pedals

There was nothing even wrong with pressfit but millions of coronatards simultaneously discovered that it had a "design flaw" and manufacturers decided it was easier to just move on rather than explain to another 50 year old male karen that his fred sled wasn't defective and he just needed to torque down the saddle rails more or something
>>
>>1998206
it should work. I've put Shimano road derailleurs to microshift brifters with no problem. afaik, Shimano Integrated Shifting (SIS) is the same spacing and cable pull for both road and mtb, but don't quote me on that.
you just have to match the number of cogs the derailleurs work with to the shifters' compatibilitly (3x7, etc), which sora sounds right, I'm assuming you checked that already.

beware on the conversion: drop bars reach forward whereas your existing bar is probably a flat bar and does not. therefore it is common to change the stem, too, for one with less reach (i.e. the forward part is shorter) to compensate for this
>>
File: IMG_20180615_190530~2.jpg (564 KB, 2455x993)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
>>1998259
Thanks, my dad has great tools so I might be able to do it without going to the bike kitchen. There's no play, but the clicking is bad. I can try swapping out the Wellgo for a new MKS pedal I have lying around to isolate the issue.
>>1998262
I've replaced a bottom bracket before.
>>
>>1998250
That's bullshit, chainrings are wear items, frames are not.
>>
>>1998250
>chainrings are supposed to outlast your frame
no. no, they aren't.
>>
>>1998264
A temporary lazy fix I have found is popping the plastic cap and dripping gear oil in there.
However my pedals were old, and dry. if they have serious clicking or are grabby it needs more love.
>>1998239
Easy way to find out is if a new chain slips.
Lucky for you those rings are cheap on ebay
>>
I'm shopping for a new road bike saddle.
Application: endurance, some racing, very occasional gravel.
The choices seem to be
>selle san marco
>selle italia
>ergon
>sqlab
>fizik
>pro
>prologo

Any brands out of these you would avoid? Recommend? Naturally I'll go for a test ride at the store before buying, but some of them are quite hard to find in my city (of course no store carries all of these brands). So I was wondering if I could eliminate some ahead of time.
They all seem to be in the 160-300€ price range with similar weights.
>>
>>1998251
some of the super cheap wellgos are riveted to the spindle instead of bolted on, making them unserviceable and also making the spindle really tight. I assumed mine were cup and cone when I ordered them because why wouldn't they be? that's how I found out. you can release the binding by removing the dust cap and resting that end of the spindle on e.g. a small socket head set on a bench vise flat , anvil, or similar; then pounding the threaded end with a hammer until they loosen up. don't go full retard and make them too loose, though. hit one solid blow and check, then repeat if needed.

I bought mine since they were the cheapest with the least weight. never would have imagined that this construction was a thing but it probably saves weight and is certainly much cheaper.
live and learn. they're fine now that I loosened the binding and pressed my grease gun in there, though. I actually like them.
>>
>>1998234
Post I was replying to did say "sporty", which I would say rules out most of that list.
>>
>>1998274
I've had very good results with Cobb, and you can get NOS ones cheap on Ebay from time to time.
>>
>>1998274
I don't have a lot of experience, but I really love my charge spoon. they're still selling the original stock but the new ones are sold under the name Fabric. I think they call them "scoop" now.
original spoon is listed at 142mm wide but I get 145 by my calipers.
>>
whats the cheapest possible internal gear hub with no more than 3 speeds and where can i buy one?
cant even find anything with those words on amazon.de
>>
>>1998264
If the pedal is smooth and without play its unlikely the pedal bearings. Like I said, it could be anything, the weirdest thing. Could be the pedal threads but again unlikely. Is it a square taper ? Could be the cranks, many people do the bolts up by feel and the end result is almost always way too little torque especially if idiots.
Again: Your best bet is a good inspection, not frantic wrenching and changing of parts. Think of what forces are acting on the bike when it happens and where thex are acting. Take the bike and apply such forces to the bike, trying to find strategies to isolate where you apply force. Also you have a much better directional sense regarding noise when youre stationary and next to your bike. Look very closely aroubd stressed areas and stress risers, cracks can click or creak.
Really. The weirdest things creak or click. Try finding it before swapping parts to isolate.
>>
>>1998289
Shimano. I did install new chainring earlier this year but the bolts seem tight.
>>
>>1998288
sg3c01 might be a funny part
>>
>>1998290
The spindle bolts ? Or the chainring bolts ? If you crank on the chainring bolts, will the backside nut thing spin or stick ? If they spin you should get the retaining on there and give them another yank until they dont spin anymore, even without the tool holding them. You can usually ID chainring squeaks by clocking the crank at various intervals, locking up the break and applying pressure. But I told you to do that twice.
>>
>>1998287
Based spoon enjoyer
>>
>>1998291
>sg3c01
cant find anything other than 80-100 euro part for motorcycles
>>
where do i get cheap bike stuff? tires, tubes, lights, bags, etc
amazon?
>>
>>1998294
im asuming youre germoid given the fact u posted germ amazon
https://www.ebay.de/itm/144542275172
>>
>>1998299
thanks my dude
>>
>>1998297
Always check ebay too.
Amazon prices..... aren't as good as they used to be.
>>
>>1998300
i mean cmon bro. You could get an sg3c41 for maybe 40 eurobux. Thats without shifter, cable and housing.
But lets assume you have a hoop and your spokes will definately not fit. Have you checked prices for built igh rears ? Unless you're building special or really nice stuff for yourself there's absolutely no point in building a wheel nowadays. You end up paying more. Thats about it.
>>
>>1998302
never tried ebay before, never tried amazon for that matter. always aliexpress

>>1998303
im newfag, i assumed just the thingy would be all i need.
how do i google the complete thing?
>>
>>1998306
Okay germbro. The complete thing:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/400940846156?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=707-53477-19255-0&campid=5338669627&toolid=20006%26customid%3Ds%253AGS%253Bgc%253Aa8fd131857bf1020113e7553e8ea345b%253Bpt%253A1%253Bnott%253A1&customid=s%3AGS%3Bgc%3Aa8fd131857bf1020113e7553e8ea345b%3Bpt%3A1%3Bnott%3A2&msclkid=a8fd131857bf1020113e7553e8ea345b
Go shorten your link yourself.
Now if you look at the image:
You got the wheel complete with hub. Then theres the cog, that goes directly on the hub and is retained with a circlip, its very likely part of the set. If you look at the very top of the small items theres that yellow thing, its an anti rotation washer and must match the angle of your dropouts plus minus some degrees (see shimano website or sheldon brown probably). Then theres the cable inner and outer, the twist geip shifter and the shift box, that goes onto the hub and the cable tuns into it. The steel band / clamp you can see fixes the torque reaction arm (it sticks off the hub on the far side) to your non drive side chainstay. It is so that when you break by backpedalling the small anti rotation washers in the dropouts dont have to handle that torque (you see they are the only other part connected to the frame).
>>
>>1998310
god damn, thats complex shit and i know almost none of those words.
costs more than my whole bike too.
thanks for the info though ill write it down
>>
File: WpHKJ.jpg (21 KB, 800x142)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1998310
cont.
regarding the anti rotation washers importance see picrel. The gear hubs axle has two flats on either side. Those flats are located by the flats in the hole of the anti rotation washer. The position of those flats in relation to the tang of the washer then dictates how the assembly sits in your bike, relative to horizontal. Notice how every of those washers orients those features at different angles to each other.
On a side note: Remove your rear wheel and measure distance between the inner surfaces of your rear dropouts. This spacing, also called 'over locknut distance' dictates what hubs you can run. You can usually get away with squeezing things to fit but its best to just have things that are compatible to begin with. Also aluminum bimes might just fail spectacularly if you do really stupid stuff like putting a way too narrow or wide hub in.
>>
>>1998313
A circlip or “c-clip” is a small metal retaining ring in the shape of a C, it can be momentarily compressed with a tool to fit it into designated slots
>>
>>1998318
fine... then its a retaining ring. Because it fits on the outside. But the priciple is the same. You throw the cog on the hub and then wrestle a minute or two with a fucking circular ring of spring steel that makes sure you dont loose your cog.
>>
>>1998315
this stuff is really very over my head
>>
File: 20240217_151912.jpg (3.17 MB, 4032x3024)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>1998323
Go on YT watch some people messing with the thing. You'll understand how it works.
Also what is it you actually need help with ? You own a bike ? Its got a rear deraileur and wont shift ? Or whats the matter ?
>>
>>1998324
basically, i rode rental bikes for couple hours, im getting a used bike passed on to me from a friend, and looking at things online and the rental bikes, the internal shifting thing with 3 speeds seems like a good low maintenance thing, so i was interested. thought it would be a lot cheaper and easier to put in.
basically i know fuck all and dont have a bike yet. when i get it ill probably post here and ask about stuff again.
at this point i only have the tool to take the tire off and a patch kit ready, cause tubes are busted on the one im getting.
>>
>>1998327
though on the rentals i was 95% on max gear anyway so maybe without gears would be alright too. i had a gearless bike 15-20 years ago
>>
>>1998327
Ride the bike and see what happens. Then determine what needs adjusting and if adjusting doesnt work its usually a good indicator that something is broken. Thats the earliest time I'd even consider replacing anything. As long as she runs you'll be fine.
Be careful not riding the bike, handling it rough or loading it as long as there is no pressure in the tires. Doing so may cause the tubes to develop very severe damage that you wont fix with a patch kit. Also notice, if youre really tight on money and you find a large gash in a tube and really cant afford the 4 eurobux for a tube you can cut apart a third tube, cut a patch, sand it well, sand the tube to be repaired, apply vulcanizing fluid from your patch kit to both parts, let both dry completely then fit together and press on hard. It'll make it hold air.
>>
>>1998330
thanks, ill remember those
i can thankfully afford at least cheap spare tube, im gonna get a decathlon one when i actually know what wheel it is
>>
>>1998332
inspect the inside of the rim and the tire for anything sharp before putting a new one in.
>>
>>1998333
is the... rim protecting tape or whatever its called, is it needed?
also why dont they put like some metal or whatever strip into the wheel so it doesnt get punctured?
>>
>>1998297
in the US I'll schill modernbike dawt com. good prices and tons of stock, easy to use/search/filter website (probably best bike site, really nice). guy answers email quickly. they don't do the "buy x amount for free shipping" thing but the prices are good enough to make up for it .
I use scamazon a fair bit anyway just because I'm buying other stuff there and I can get the shipping free at $35. always check ebay, also.
>>
>>1998337
is amazon really not good? i never used it, thought it was like aliexpress for the west
>>
>>1998335
>is it needed
yes. think about it: how would you install a metal one? they cover up the spoke nipples that attach the spokes to the rim, which is necessary to build the wheel. a metal hoop that would cover the inner rim wouldn't fit over the walls, the flange of the rim.
>>
>>1998338
Amazon is a good place to check, but isn't the only thing you should check. If what you're buying is popular enough, often there'll be alternative options to buy from that could end up being cheaper.
There's quite a lot of bike stores, for example, so bike related things can be cheaper elsewhere. That's not to say amazon still can't be a bargain. I'm probably picking up a Camelbak Podium & some Pedro tire levers off amazon soon since they're the cheapest I can find them.
>>
>>1998339
i... see?.. i think

>>1998341
im just new to bikes and i also moved to germany couple months ago, dont know german, so its a bit hard to figure things out
>>
>>1998338
it's fine, in the sense that any department store or big online retailer is fine. they use anticompetitive business practices and pay their workers shit but that's everyone. yes, it is similar to a western ali, I guess. I just say scamazon to not give them free advertising, I guess.
>>
>>1998338
Amazon is good if you check and crosscheck. You can still get the occasional incredible deal on a random premium bike part from the bottom of their warehouse, or on clothing and accessories. On the chinese cheap stuff aliexpress is amazing, but on amazon you have the same items at inflated price, and you can try them by getting them the next day and see if it's worthy.
So what I usuallyy do is that I go on big bike online shops or aliexpress, look for something new or something that I need, and then check If I can have the same thing on Amazon at same or better price but with all the perks of an amazon order.
>>
>>1998335
rim tape or rim strip, Felgenband, yes it is needed. You can use electrical tape or ducttape and whatever and get away with it.
Depending on the rims construction the rim strip will either prevent contact between the tube and the spoke nipples or even the ends of the spokes. Those can be quite sharp. On more modern rims the rim strip will cover holes that the nipples sit in, here the issue is that the inner tube is too flexible and would be forced into the holes, either ripping at the holes sharp corner or overstretch or ultimately end up making contact with the spoke ends again. None of which is bueno.
I use tesa strapping tape btw. But any will do depending on pressure.
>>
>>1998345
>. You can use* electrical tape or ducttape and whatever and get away with it.
*multiple layers of
>>
>>1998342
A lot german uni, both tecnische and normal have diy repair clubs. Go check, you might find the occasional lovely kraut to help you.
>>
>>1998342
>I see I think
look here bro. Sharp edges at the hole and down in the hole the pointy spoke is waiting. Both have good potential to cause a puncture. The tape covers it up. The tape has much less elasticity, it wont just sink into the hole like the tube on its own would.
>>
>>1998348
LOLOLOL my technische Hochschule is more like
>WEEE BUILDEN ZHE PARKEN GARAGE FOR THE STUDENTEN TO COME MOTORIZED
then again in the area I live you even get stopped by the pigs for riding a bike on the bike path because 'why is he riding a bike is he drunk or has he got no license something must be wrong here' and also because searching for imaginary electric motors
>>
>>1998345
>>1998349
i get it now

>>1998348
issue is, not sure how to search for that. put in university on gogle maps?
>>
>>1998351
whats your area ? in most cities theres actually at least one organization where they bring the bikes that were locked up and abandoned. And those tend to not be unis.
>>
>>1998352
cologne
i also posted a bunch of newfag quesstions past days
>>
>>1998351
https://willkommen-in-der-moselstrasse.de/Mitmachen/Fahrrad.html
for example. Pretty sure they will fix your bike or let you fix your bike and it might be that they will give you a bike or sell one for 25€, provided you can demonstrate being in need, being NEET, student or foreigner thats crashed there recently usually is enough.
>>
>>1998351
search for fahrrad selbsthilfe. If you're not a student those in unis might not help you, so look for others. It might be not so cheap though.
Another tip I thought about just now. God bless Action you ever been there? It's a chain of shops. They got a lot of stuff and also some bike stuff really cheap. Their battery lights are amazing I'm serious. Also their smartphone holder. But also bags saddles. All low quality but mibht be interesting checking.
>>
>>1998356
more to try
https://socialride.de/
https://www.emmaus-koeln.de/arbeit/verkaufsstellen/fahrr%C3%A4der/
why's it almost all refugee related now. Back when I was in uni it was just 'everyone who is entitled to any sort of social gibs can get bike'. The place I got my first from provided convicts with a first job after release (fixing bikes) coppers would collect abandoned bikes and dump them there, they would randomly mix and match perfectly functioning bikes it seemed and sell them to you if you could prove youre receiving other gibs too.
>>
>>1998356
>>1998359
pretty cool. ill be sure to try check those out, thank you
i am a refugee

>>1998358
>fahrrad selbsthilfe
ill write it down
im pretty old to be a student too.
never heard of god bless action, but ill see if i can find any. im really in the market for cheap stuff.
need to find where to buy a lock too, most i see online are 6mm chains and im not sure if thats enough or what
>>
>>1998360
It's called

Action

Just that. I see in koln you got just one. They got cheap but fine looking locks too there. They might suffice if your bike is really bad.
>>
>>1998362
ah, derp.
ill check it out too
>>
>>1998362
holy shit thats really cheap compared to decathlon and rose. even the patch repair kit is so much better for cheaper, wtf
>>
>>1998360
>I am a refugee
you'll have an easy time getting gibs at those places
>>
>>1998362
the chain one there is actually the best one ive seen so far. says 9mm thick chain, and its cheap. i only saw 8mm and it was like 25 euro i think this one is 12. im definitely gonna stock up in that shop for phone holder and lights and lock at least

>>1998365
hopefully, might be awkward. and i dont really know german
>>
>>1998365
>>1998367
I know right? It's a really fun shop too for many things go check it out. I love em and they are expanding nearly everywhere in europe.
I once saw a dude touring with their portable solar panel.
>>
File: doge.jpg (442 KB, 865x625)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
>>1998371
touring with panels like so ?
Wanted to start a thread based on this encounter lately. Fucking jannies. Literally got banned for that because 'its not transport'. Sure. Fuck 4kanker and the trannies.
>>
>>1998374
My tent is bigger than that thing and fits in a 2-liter bottle. This doesn’t make any sense, it’s gotta be 150lbs on top of that. Maybe the rider is just incomprehensibly ugly and doesn’t want to bother people?
>>
>>1998376
Erm no hes just enjoying the good life. I knew this guy existed because of some business with him. So that day our ways crossed and I saw this in action. Goes like stink, really.
>>
>>1998374
No he was on a bike but.. Wtf this is obviously a mode of transport could have been a nice thread. Meanwhile we have 2 grant Petersen and one nipple ring thread
>>
File: CIMG2902.jpg (296 KB, 1440x1080)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>1998379
I mean yeah.
>>
>>1998381
Careful
>>
You could make a bikejoring thread if you wanted to see a bunch of puppies pulling a fat hipster around but since you didn’t mention anything about the dogs I would have to assume the concept you’re referring to is actually a velomobile thread
>>
>>1998382
its not like you ever get permabanned
>>
These are disgustingly inefficient considering they can only be used on wide flat ground, at least put it in the snow so you have a viable excuse why you’re not powering yourself
>>
>>1998385
wym wide flat ground ? The guy running >>1998374 follows the main roads where he has to. I met him on my way into the city. All roads go through so chad here literally races that shit through town.
>>
>>1998388
It’s just undermines the intrinsic superpower of the bicycle’s ability to turn a 200lbs bipedal with 30inch legs into 35mph, even on narrow, obstacle-ridden routes. The big crate defeats all of that, and then the dogs (who don’t have the mechanical efficiency of a bike on flat terrain) have to do all the work one foot in front of the other. And this is all for no reason when you’re on the road, no advantages whatsoever over a bike. Like, what’s this guy doing? He’s not in difficult terrain, he doesn’t have a bigger load than a bicycle could achieve, what’s the purpose here? Making his dogs run to the next city over? Very confused about why this option would be considered for this use case
>>
>>1998391
Dude is nuts and homeless... homeless nutjobs usually have dogs, he has more dogs than usual and makes em pull his lil hut.
It's efficient in this sense, he probably meets a lot of housed nutjobs that give him dog food.
Anyway I agree dogs are really bad at this, from what I remember from the schackleton story they get tired easily. As you said their lil tippitappies waste a lot of work
>>
>>1998395
That’s a good-looking pack of hobo dogs
>>
>>1998391
So first the guy is old. Hes not going 35 mph on a bike. Secondly he can haul a huge load of heavy stuff that I am sure I could haul on a bike but desu I dont want to. He doesnt have to do much, his dogs are not just useless eaters like so many dogs nowadays and ironically at the same time his dogs are probably alot fitter and happier. Also doggos. That alone should convince anyone. And lastly the guy does what he wants to do and enjoys it. And it involves doggos and a doggo cart.
>>
>>1998397
I mean it’s cool to look at sure, but the question was thoughts on using that to travel long distances, likely between towns on asphalt roadways or maintained paths, and for that use case it’s practically abuse
>>
>>1998398
Well the guy could just be sitting on a motorcar like 99% of normies but he consciously chose not to and I approve of that.
Not having done this I can only speculate regarding the ups and downs.
Also wheels are generally more efficient than sleds so I assume it to have better efficiency than a dog sled and dog sleds are a thing.
What if its troublesome keeping your dog pack with you while on a bicycle ? Again I never tried so I can only speculate.
Lastly I dont see how anyone really always chooses peak efficiency in every aspect, I dont see how anyone could demand others do so and I'm glad that is not a thing. It's pretty easy to draw up a dystopia where everything is objectively most efficient. Maybe this guy just never considered the efficiency.
>>
New unracer kino just dropped
>>
>>1998402
Well is the guy actually touring or is he just walking his dogs with style? This is cool if he’s just dicking around for a few miles but kind of a shitty move if he’s traveling between cities without being able to pay for on-the-road dog needs. People who bike tour with their dogs take a lot of effort to make sure the dog isn’t running for too long and they always have a trailer or something for the dog to rest while they keep going, because a top-class biker could hold cruising speed on the road from dawn to dusk and a dog cannot even hope to move for that long at once
>>
>>1998403
easy
>hop on bike
>off to work
>return on bike in the evening
>enjoy
does that really need instructions ?
>>
>>1998405
You need to get a Rivendell then visit Blue Lug in Japan to fit it with limited edition Nitto components apparently.
>>
>>1998404
I mentioned unspecified 'business' through which I knew of this guy. This guy buys organ meat from cattle raised on my land. I was given the quick run down on this guy by a third person (who's got to do with the cattle) and aparently the guy is wealthier than the average to put it simple. I doubt this person is abusing dogs or not providing for their needs and I think it is actually sad for anyone to jump to that conclusion just because this guy doesn't insist to sleep in his house most of nights and isnt using a motorvehicle to get around.
I dont use motorized vehicles either and im not exactly poor. But most importabtly I dont see how wealth or lack thereoff ties into anything here, in first world countries everyone can afford to feed a pack of dogs, even if they are on wellfare.
This guy is touring but aparently stays in the area, when I askes him where hes coming from and headed the places he names are about 30 km apart.
>>
>>1998403
>best route to work is always the least interesting
>always at the most dangerous traffic hours
>all sweaty at work
>gets 30 american degrees colder over the span of my shift
>some retard steals my bike
Yeah no, I like riding my bike and I wanna keep it that way. I choose the pre-work bike ride, then get home and fling my honda towards work at 70mph
>>
>>1998408
I didn’t assume he was poor because he’s touring without a house, I assumed he was poor because his cart is made from unpainted plywood, but that makes more sense if he’s just staying in familiar areas
>>
>>1998409
I'll never get why things like the weather and sweat seems to bother people so much. I never felt the need to go to work or any other place actually by any means other than either walking or on my bike.
>>
>>1998412
you enjoy being wet?
>>
>>1998395
>Anyway I agree dogs are really bad at this, from what I remember from the schackleton story they get tired easily
have you ever heard of something called the "Iditarod"?
>>
what foss android app do you guys use to track your rides? like how long, far, and where you drove
>>
File: bike under.jpg (21 KB, 522x568)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Guys, what kind of underwear do you all use? I live and ride in a very hot and humid city, specially on summer. My skin is very sensitive so i always wear cotton boxers but they absorb a lot of sweat and stay damped forever.
>>
>>1998416
>Open Wikipedia.
>It says immediately it lasts max two weeks and at least 2/3 of the dogs drop out
Dog's can't do efficient work confirmed
>>1998438
Merino
Anyway, as evidenced by the dog discussion, this is a serious thread. Shame on you if this is some kinky rp.
>>
>>1998438
Either actual padded bike-specific chamois shorts or just those stretchy metal gear solid looking ones from walmart
>>
>>1998416
Yes a dogs walking pace in snow is faster than a humans walking pace in snow, but we’re talking about the highway next to mcdonalds here not the alaskan wilderness
>>
>>1998420
From what I can see on F-droid there's OpenTracks. Seems nice, complete and maintained. I don't track though
>>
>>1998438
the cheapest athletic ones from walmart. they are like 10 or 12 dollars for a three pack.
>>
>>1998438
cotton panties
>>
>>1998415
I dont care too much. What is a bit annoying is that during winter there may be periods where my shoes are never dry, aka still wet in the morning. Thats a bit annoying.
Idk if I seem to have less problems with weather than others because I dont do shit like dressing for it or if its the other way round.
>>
>>1998438
Just cotton boxers really.
>Damp
I'm always soaked when getting off the bike, be it sweat only or percipitation along with sweat. And they dry just fine so I'd guess its not the cotton boxers but what you're wearing on top of them.
Try cotton t-shirt, cotton shorts and cotton boxers. About all you'll ever need and dries relatively fast once you're inside.
>>
>>1998374
The newest Russian wunder weapon?
>>
What's the worst case of expenses if I buy this knackered e-bike? Only 1300 miles so presumably the motor and battery are okay. Just need a new derailleur. Should I buy it??
>>
>>1998458
no way to dress for being wet. especially the feet.
that will bite you some day.
>>
>>1998479
What will happen to me ? Been doing this for years and no adverse effects yet. If you ask me.if anything positive effects.
You see the thing is: I leave the house in the morning and I'd be cold asf would I walk and the first km or so on the bike is relatively cold. But: Few km into the trip and no matter what I'm wearing and how cold and wet it is i'll feel too warm. So I'd have to stop to take stuff off very early into my commute and needed a place to put that and so on. Then if its raining that stuff will be wet. Wet stuff dries if you keep it on, it wont if you take it off. Getting back into wet stuff in the evening ? Nah I'm good.
So cotton T and cotton shorts is peak perfection: Only feel cold the first km of the trip. No need to change and carry stuff. If soaked enjoy extra cooling. Once at destination youre the wet boy for maybe an hour or so but it dries off soon. More clothes would dry much slower.
Fingers might be freezing tho.
So what you reckon will happen to me ?
>>
I moved to an unbikeable area and got rid of my bike.

Now I'm in a great bikable area and want to do some recreational riding.

I think I will finally buy a new bike, instead of buying shitty used bikes. And I was looking at the local Trek bike store.

They have the new Trek FX3 with the CUES 1x10 transmission. any thoughts about it? there is very little online about it, as with most non top spec bikes

https://wheelsbikes.com/products/fx-3-disc
>>
>>1998487
the spec is pretty good
it has a nice fork, lots of mounts, relatively wide gear spread

the internal cabling is kinda stupid for a hybrid, but if you're getting it from a competent/ friendly shop then that's their problem i guess. It will make servicing it more expensive/ difficult but not insanely so.

I don't really like any of the colourschemes. I guess the grey and the blue are tolerable but yeah. I personally wouldn't buy it for that reason but if you can look at it in person you'll have a much better handle on that. DO NOT buy a bike that you do not particuraly like the colour of.
>>
>>1998484
being wet means being cold, and being cold means being sick. I'd you ever stop while wet you're in trouble, and feet are the most dangerous one to be cold
>what will happen
you'll get older, get sick and die, eventually
>>
>>1998487
how can an area unbikable?
>>
>>1998490
This is weird. I haven't been sick in ages. I must say I haven't been sick a long time before bikepill either but I think my approach to dressing for the conditions hasnt changed drastically through bikes, the getting wet part did.
Meanwhile I get to observe people, many a decade younger than me, getting sick all the time, coofing, sniffing sneezing, needing doctors, meds, time off and what not.
>>
>>1998492
everyone gets older, anon. just try to be less wet
>>
>>1998489
>DO NOT buy a bike that you do not particuraly like the colour of.
Going to piggyback on this with a personal admission. Last year I bought the Trek Dual Sport 3 Gen 5 in the dark green colour because they didn't have a black or grey model and I've hated it ever since. I cope by wrapping the entire body in black gaffer tape, which is also nice because it makes the bike look less desirable and doesn't get scratches when I lock it up, BUT there is not a day that goes by where I don't think about trying to sell this off and buy a new bike entirely.
>>
>>1998501
get some reflective tape off aliexpress and do that instead and you can actually make it look cool
>>
>>1998490
>being cold means being sick
I can't believe this boomer myth still exists
>>
>nipple keeps flatting tubes occasionally
>sand it down and remove all burrs
>replace rim tape
>still happens
am i some sort of mongoloid or have i just never dealt with non recessed nipple beds until now? I guess I'll just replace all the nipples? How do I know which ones I need?
I'd build new wheels but I don't have the money right now.
>>
>>1998514
what rim tape?
>>
>>1998516
regular velox cloth stuff
>>
What thighs lube you use? They start rubbing against each other after like 50km.
>>
>>1998501
>he likes black or gray and didn't buy a bike that color
I swear those are the easiest colors to find. Must have been a good deal.
>t. bright color enthusiast.

Oh, and I agree about getting the color you want. Takes a ton of work to do a decent paintjob.
>>
>>1998514
is it always the same spoke? i've never had to do it but i'd try 2 layers of rim tape before sanding stuff down
>>
>>1998514
Try schwalbe or continental hi pressure rim strips
>>
>>1998518
Does it look like it poked through ? Does the hole in the tube theoretically line up ?
Theres many things you can try on the cheap. For example:
- Any sort of tape.
- Cut an old tube, two cuts along the side to make a strip. You can also reduce its diameter if needed by cutting the loop and vulcanizing the ends in overlapping fashion.
Also:
Do the spokes potrude aka are they too long ?
Did the hole always appear in the same spot ?
Have you searched the area where the hole developed really well for any things sticking through the tire or for any burrs or defects of the rim ?
Usually this shouldnt happen, regardless of you using a box section rim or a hollow one.
>>
>>1998539
High pressure rim strip wont change a thing on a box section rim. Thats stupid.
>>
>>1998491
Industrial and very hilly with awful roads. some of the roads are hard to walk up, let alone ride up.

I should have kept my bike at a friend's place and just ridden occasionally. but it was a piece of shit old bike really. I've NEVER had a good or new bike in my life.

>>1998489
I quite like the red color in person, it's much brighter in the store. They only have that color on display.

The FX2 has a stunning matte black with gold lettering, but only has a 9 speed CUES shifter instead of he 10 speed.

I would just get maintenance done at the store, they don't charge for labor, just parts.

>>1998501
I looked it up, that is not a very attractive green, and the bronze/copper lettering looks like it belongs in a 90's scifi channel original one season show

>>1998505
>real experience, spending time being cold leads to illness
>scienceism midwit: ACTUALLY IT DOESNT MAKE YOU SICK! YOUR REAL EXPERIENCE IS WRONG
>>
>>1998501
that's funny because I bought a black bike because it was the only color left and I have always sort of disliked it
>>
>>1998543
So a thick layer of whatever plastic that is won't change nothing from a couple turns of cloth tape??
>>
>>1998542
>Does it look like it poked through
no
>Does the hole in the tube theoretically line up
lines up perfectly
>>1998537
>Did the hole always appear in the same spot ?
>Have you searched the area where the hole developed really well for any things sticking through the tire or for any burrs or defects of the rim ?
yes and yes.
I have had this happen on a junky wheel, removed the nipple and it seemed to be fine.

My lbs had some nipples in stock so I got a few. Not cheaper than using an old tube, but they were 50c each.
>>
>>1998562
>>Does it look like it poked through
you wouldn't notice this anyways because once your off the bike youve taken all the weight off of it and aren't flexing the wheel. my (not a bike mechanic) guess is thats whats going on
i'd take the wheel in for truing and mention that specific spot cause they'll retension everything anyways and check for defects
>>
>>1998478
Worst case and also most likely case is that the motor completely shits out within the year and every part thats actually a bicycle will be fine. There’s a reason all motors top out at 2 years warranty, they are not reliable long-term
>>
>>1998549
To get sick you have to get infected. Sickness is not a result of coldness, it’s just discomfort.
>>
>>1998584
nigger what do you think happens when you get cold, or when you dont sleep well, or myriad of other things that reduce your imune sytem
>>
>>1998594
I’m fucking cold for the majority of the day 9 months a year and I haven’t been sick since 2020
>>
>>1998599
how cold
>>
>>1998569
At that point I may as well just replace all the nipples and retension it myself. It's as true as I could get it being that some of the nipples were rounded anyway, which is pretty true. But how would something that's threaded push through additional threads through the rest of the nipple? Like there really shouldn't be any radial flex to the point that the nipple could move through the rim...right? Even so, then the only problem would be the tube getting punched under the nipple but the rim tape is going to prevent that anyway? I dunno. Either way I replaced the nipple and it's holding air for now. I have to go out tomorrow and buy heavy things so I'll see if the problem has been solved.
>>
what are good points to upgrade on a basic claris bike? i'm using a CAAD optimo 4 as a commuter, loaded it with accessories but it rides pretty well
>>
>>1998738
tires and brake pads
grip tape
>>
Formerly used to ride every day, so the time. a raced mtb XC and CX. got hit by a truck a couple years ago and got all fucked up and now I'm fat (300lbs). Building up a new bike. Got a lynskey pro gr on sale. 12x142 rear drop out. plan to run 650b/27.5. Anybody know where I can get a 15x110 front fork that's ~400mm AtC? I want to get boost since I'm a fat fuck and I'm phobic of riding on roads now so I'll be living the (gravel) meme. I'll probably try to take it where it shouldn't go at some point. I've thought about throwing a rigid mtb fork on as well, but that adds 100mm and would fuck the geo, especially the rake. Although, looking at get it may be basically a Fargo if I did that. Am I over thinking this? would 12x100 be fine?
>>
>>1998769
phone posting, fuck autocorrect.
>>
>>1998766
do brake pads and bar tape make for that big a difference to change them out before they're worn? tires make sense, are vittoria saffiro's bad?
>>
>>1998771
it was worth it to me. I'm not going to wear through brake pads any time soon living in a very flat area. If you are often touching the bar tape and it's not great then yeah I would say so. I like cloth tape because it feels grippy in the wet and it's cheap. Saffiro's are a pretty good budget tire. Check bicycle rolling resistance and reviews, you know your needs for comfort and puncture protection best.
>>
File: IMG_20240522_185931.jpg (222 KB, 780x1040)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>1998358
thanks for recommending the shop, anon
>>
>>1998785
Is that a dvd
>>
>>1998789
???
>>
>>1998789
it's a poncho bro
>>
>>1998789
THIS SUMMER

Rain Poncho: the story of one intrepid bicycle commuter who refused to be denied. By rain, by cars, by life itself!
starring: Rain Wilson and Eric Estrada as Frank Poncho-rello
>>
>>1998569
Yes he will absolutely notice this on some rim tapes. In a plastic rim tape anything that sticks through enough to damage the tube will poke a hole through that.
With cloth rim tape I can sort of see how something really sneaky may pome through, retract again and leave no obvious damage.
>>1998601
sometimes spokes are too long, they may then stick out of the top. If they dont they dont. No matter how conditions change. It may aswell be the nipples themselves
>rounded nipples
the slot and the square ? geez
>radial flex to the point where
no. there should be nothing like that happening, no spoke should ever get completely unloaded, slack that is, through any part of the rotation, let alone being pushed. That spoke wont last long.
Good its holding up.
>>1998785
glad to see colone has your back.Whatever walfort is btw. Hope the bike is fixed real good ?
>>
>>1998843
>rain wilson
dead
>>
>>1998851
>If they dont they dont. No matter how conditions change. It may aswell be the nipples themselves
yeah that was my thinking. it's been fine for now but replacing all the nipples will give me an opportunity to tension the wheel correctly and get everything cleaned up nicely. I'll just have to order them online since my lbs charges over double what I can get from from pwb, and that'll make quite the difference since I need 72. Some spokes are very close to protruding, but surprisingly those have been a non-issue.
/blog
>>
>>1998851
walfort must be the brand for active chase theres a ton of that stuff
dont have bike yet but gonna get it in next couple days

>>1998843
fantastic, lmao
>>
looking for square taper bottom bracket tool and im seeing some chinesium ones listed that allegedly can work as cassette tool too
is this true and if it is which cassettes is it compatible with
>>
>>1998967
well, I just checked my Shimano BB tool made by park against my Shimano HyperGlide cassette cracker and lockring and they are NOT compatible with each other.
wrong circumference, wrong number of teeth and spacing .

maybe sram? maybe sensah and microshift just went ahead and made both into one standard. that would make sense to do if you were starting from scratch like they did
>>
how the fuck do i know whats a "good" bike when looking second hand?
>>
>>1998979
assuming you're a noob, you don't. use the buy thread and /n/ will look through your Craigslist and explain what's good
>>
newfag here. tried with a bro to take off a tire for 2 hours.
fingers bled.
had 6 pry tools, ended up with 3 cause they broke.
fuck
>>
File: IMG_20240525_010655.jpg (1.35 MB, 3579x981)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
going to buy tube first time
not sure what the numbers mean
if I get the one that says erto 35/45 - 622 that should fit, right?
or do the first numbers also important
>>
File: file.png (346 KB, 1255x388)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
>>1999264
like this should fit right?
also whats the difference between presto and shrader? do i need a different pump for them?
>>
>>1999266
or should i put more money in and buy this
https://www.rosebikes.de/schwalbe-sv-17ap-28-schlauch-air-plus-2691639
someone recommended it before
its going to be for a pretty old and rusty city bike
>>
>>1999271
oh never mind, its unavailable.
>>
>>1998979
usually the ad will say "I know what I have" and "no lowballers"
>>
>>1999233
I have my new tires sitting next to my desk and you're making me very worried, since I've never replaced a tire
I have some old questionable quality levers but now I wonder if I should just order pedro ones and wait for them since I've heard they're better than others
>>
>>1999448
try whatever you have. I'm assuming you can find other things too.

issue is that its a really old MTB and the tired are like fused or something and really tight.
>>
should my breaks start breaking as soon as I press the lever? it only breaks when its fully down
>>
>>1999856
a small amount of travel is normal for a properly set up brake. exactly how much depends on the design. if it has to be FULLY down, then there's a problem
>>
>>1999995
well shit.
i have the ones where the wire makes a triangle, and attaches to both breaks.
need to read up about how to adjust it, I can't see anything I can so on first glance.
>>
trying to figure out what cheap pump to buy
I'm assuming having a gauge is nice, but I'm not sure what pressure to pump them up to
a dude pumped mine with floor pump and they seem hard as fuck I was worried they'd blow
>>
>>2000138
Tires should mention a pressure they're rated for
>>
>>2000292
says minimum 50 maximum 85 or something.
any recommended cheap pumps with a gauge on Amazon? seeing stuff like Fischer around 10-15 euro
>>
File: thick_straddle_cable.jpg (112 KB, 800x830)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>2000055
Could be you just have some slack in the cable. Or could be your pads are worn down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFira2dAPY
>>
>>2000346
we had this fucking discussion already best pump with gauge for me is the decathlon travel at 25
>>
File: IMG_20240530_061920.jpg (130 KB, 1080x841)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2000415
yeah I looked at that video from the op site, eaelier
spent 3 hours adjusting cause first time and shits really really old. was misaligned on every possible thing, and pads are mostly flat
not sure who's idea it was to make everything controlled by a single bolt but I managed to tune it well so I have functional breaks now. its nice to understand how thikgs work for once

>>2000416
too rich for me. my whole bike doesnt cost this much lol
but I found a small pump with gage on ali for 2.80 and rosebikes sells the exact same one for 10euro so I think I'll wait a week

the nice mtitool also costs 10e locally. ripoff

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.