[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tracker-lifestyle.jpg (58 KB, 540x400)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>researching cheap dinghy, stumble upon faggot-redditor thread
>"hey guys is this boat for $300 okay"
>uhh, that's literally a toy, retard, I was just on Facebook Marketplace five minutes ago in my area on the opposite end of the world, and there's a bass boat for only $20,000
>your budget is $500? dude just add $15,000 to it, it's not a big difference, and you'll have a marginally better boat, better yet, just buy a $300,000 yacht, now that's a proper boat
>what, your towing capacity is only 1,500 pounds, and you can't tow a 25,000 pound yacht whenever you feel like it?
Why are Redditfags like this?
Worse than gun "enthusiasts".
>>
>>2732354
Oh yeah, can any anons recommend a cheap $300 boat?
Can't decide between getting a canoe, an aluminum boat, or an inflatable raft.

I don't fucking want to bother with a trailer, I fucking hate launching boats from a trailer.
>spend an hour bailing water from the last time it rained
>2 hours standing in line while boomers launch their 600HP 40 footers
>takes 30 seconds to launch the thing
>go out for 8 hours
>wait in line again to pull out
>pissed off faggots whining and seething the entire time, both behind me, and in front

Canoe is the easiest to launch for me, I can just do it off a bank. But I like the extra space a RIB offers.
Any anons got experience with sleeping in a canoe for 7+ nights?
>>
>>2732354
Dugout canoe and stay offline. FTFY
>>
>>2732355
Depends on what water you're using, I personally find kayaks easier to paddle but hold less shit. I don't pack too heavy when I'm kayak fishing though.
>>
>>2732356
Why offline, anon?
I do have a log laying around though.

>>2732357
Worried a kayak's a bit too small for the trips I want to take - need about 5-7 days worth of supplies, and also to sleep in.
Would an open kayak work (sit-on)?
>>
>>2732361
I don't like sit on kayaks in moving water, but if you're doing float trips canoe is probably your best bet if you don't wanna trailer a raft/drift boat.
>>
>>2732362
Yep, you're probably right anon.
Problem is I have an old Toyota with a rotten rear frame, specifically the hitch mount.
So I'd have to weld it up.

If I had a decent hitch I'd literally get a trailer-sailer at that point, since it'd be better for longer trips.
And mooring here is fucking INSANE ($3,500 + per 5 month season).
And I'd have to haul it out and store it somewhere anyways.

So, I guess a canoe is my only option.
You know, longest I've ever gone on a canoe trip is 6 hours - what's it like sleeping in one?
I've never slept on a small boat, do you capsize easily?
Should I just beach it each time and sleep in a land tent?

Sorry for asking so many questions anon, just hard to find anyone that knows anything without being a smug cunt (I'm an /o/ tourist, tried seeing on plebbit, but obviously they're fucking retards, so thought I'd ask here.)
>>
>>2732354
Clearly you haven't seen discussions on this board
>you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a tent for your first time camping? lol, poorfag
>>
>>2732365
Kek, yeah, I'm a tourist.
Is /out/ better than /n/ in circlejerk intensity? Or worse?
>>
>>2732354
My friend down the road just bought a used aluminum john boat plus motor for like $1500 bucks.
>>
>>2732371
Trailer Incl. or not?
>>
>>2732355
how and where are you intending to use it. that does matter. it's hard to find something good for $300 these days, inflation like everything else... but it is possible. one of the CHEAPEST ways to get on the water other than a cheap box store kayak is to look for a used aluminum grumman canoe. tons of them were made and people have been selling them for a couple hundred bucks forever. most people know now and ask more than they used to, but they're still cheaper than most other options. you can find them for $300-700 bucks pretty often, better shape = higher price obviously, but they are well worth those prices. most of them are 15 or 17ft long and they weigh about 70-80lbs. easy to move with a good kayak cart. you don't have to do any special care to them aside from properly store them on a rack upside down so they don't full with water. the benefit of a kayak or canoe over a boat is also that they are meant to paddle so you do not need a motor, not the case with a boat. even a small boat with just a trolling motor will leave you wishing you had a gas motor to go faster and further. slapping a trolling motor on a canoe is much more efficient. the downside is obviously that you can tip it easier, but that's more of a skill/iq issue than anything else. I've had small boats and always end up back with canoes/kayaks because small boats just aren't as good as big boats unless you're going solo and have a gas motor to go long distance. much prefer something light and simple enough to pull up on any bank I want and not have to use a boat ramp everytime I want to put in the water. that really limits the places you can go. your other option is to buy a kayak. any kayak is better than no kayak, but getting one that is quality, has the ability to add accessories without jerry-rigging everything, and one that paddles well is very important. the benefit of a sit on top kayak is that you don't have to worry about filling up with water under any circumstances
>>
>>2732355
Canoes are solid. Inflatables give me headaches.
>>
>>2732373
Thank you for the detailed answer, anon.
It seems like a canoe is pretty much what I'll end up going with.
I would reckon as far as accessories go, unlike kayaks, canoes are pretty much going to be all the same - just a matter of the quality of the hull itself.

You got any tips on loading a canoe on the roof of a car? Just push up from one end?
Saw a guy on YouTube with a neat trick using PVC pipes as ramps, and a boat winch on the other side, to pull it up the side of the car.

Will probably get an aluminum canoe like you said. Is it important that it's a grumman?
I've got a 3HP gas outboard I was going to stick on it (if I got a canoe), and I''ll be going mostly lake/river routes. Am in Central Ontario, so mostly the lakes around there.
>>
>>2732375
Cheers to that.
I've got a big family wagon, so it'll fit a canoe on its roof no problem, hell, I've seen smart cars with canoes on them.
I was heavily considering an inflatable, but it seems a canoe is a better option.

My biggest question is that I was wondering how roll-happy canoes are when you're laying down in one - I've never rolled when sitting up and paddling, but I don't know if that'd be the same if I was laying down and napping.
Don't want to end up face-down in the water, would suck.
Inflatables seem to be less roll-happy.
>>
>>2732373
Oh shit, here's a grumman right here.
Is this what you were talking about, anon?
500 bucks, but it's Canada, and we're a failed state.
>>
>>2732378
Fuck forgot pic.>>2732373
>>
>>2732372
Idk I don't think so.
>>
>>2732376
if you already have a 3hp motor then even a jon boat would be fine. as long as you leave it light so that you can easily transport, move it, and launch it from the bank. the obvious downside is that unlike a canoe, should you have a motor failure, you ain't paddling a jon boat far(ask me how I know). I also wouldn't really put a motor on a canoe unless it's a square stern. people do it, but it needs to be a light motor and you have to be careful not to tip or damage the canoe mounting it the wrong way. as for the grummans, they're just extremely plentiful here in the states, there are other brands, but the grummans are just built better most of the time. there are different models. you ideally want one of the ones with the high traditional style ends, they call them double enders. the other one has a lower waterline and is more for flat water use. maybe you can luck out and find a square stern, but they're probably expensive. the long 15-17footers are easy to paddle unless you're going against serious current. they take a bit of effort to get up to speed, but once there they glide really well. I like using a kayak paddle instead of a canoe paddle because it's just easier on the wrists for long trips and you don't have to worry about canoe strokes. they and most other good kayaks shoould have built in floatation in the front and rear, but you can add things like pool noodle around the thwarts for extra and it helps with padding at the same time. they're just really good beaters. people practically used to give them away for free before covid. as for accessories you can add any kayak track mounts you want to the outer edges at teh top
>>
>>2732377
laying in one would be lower center of gravity so not easy to tip, but I still wouldn't really do it. who knows what happens when you sleep or a boat blows by you. just sleep on shore.
>>
File: grumman.jpg (230 KB, 1191x442)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>2732379
here is a pic of the two types. the one on the left is more traditional style, with a bit of rocker on the ends and higher water line. this makes it better than the other type for moving water. if you don't care about that then either type is fine, I just have no experience with the other so it's my preference for being more versatile. the other may be better for a motor or more stable who knows. if you find one in good condition for a steal that's the more important thing I guess.
>>
>>2732379
got any more pics? that looks like the kind I'm talking about.
>>
>>2732377
Depends how choppy it gets. I've flipped a canoe before standing in it. Haven't flipped one laying in it. But I only put into the water on nice days.
>>
>>2732394
canoes are more tippy when you don't have them weighed down with gear down on the floor. if you're just in one with no gear or two people with no gear, you have a high center of gravity and it feels more tippy. I still wouldn't sleep in one on the water for multiple reasons.
>>
Jfc America sounds depressing as hell. Waiting hours for a boat ramp what the fuck.
>>
>>2732474
that's only at the busiest lakes in the entire country. op is exaggerating, but they do get busy. that's the price of "freedom" where everyone can have a boat.
>>
>>2732355
I like canoes for being easy to move around out of the water. Kayaks are very safe in the water, but I don’t prefer them because they are more hassle to mover around out of the water and I don’t enjoy the low seating for fishing. But nothing beats a row boat for stability, especially if you’re taking an old person or a child with fishing. I bought a 50 year old 12 foot Alumacraft rowboat last week for $100, to leave in the woods at this undeveloped piece of lake property I bought. I spent $90 on a trolling motor and paid the battery guy at work $20 for a core semi battery for the trolling motor, and grabbed a piece of shit solar charger from harbor freight for $30 to keep the shitty battery topped off. I’ll probably spend $200 on a chart plotter/depth finder for it too, eventually.
I own a couple canoes (a Grumman aluminum for river trips, and a Souris River Kevlar for the BWCA), and a bigger fishing boat 18 foot Crestliner) for trailering to larger lakes, but I don’t want to have to bring my boat to work in order to leave straight from work to go up to camp and fish at this property. Both of my canoes were over $500 and so was the kayak I used to own. See what’s for sale used and cheap near you.

Get some plate steel and repair your frame and hitch mount, it’ll make your truck a lot more useful to own if you do, but even if you never bother to do that, you should be able to get a 12 foot rowboat in your bed.
>>
Sounds about the same as when I just wanted to get a bow to target shoot and shoot fast, I wanted some cheap arrows
>Bro you have to spend money on arrows
>Yeah you wouldn't want to be using an inferior arrow to practice with
>What, you just want to have fun and shoot a bow? No, you have to spend 10 bucks or more an arrow, no, I will not recommend any good, cheap, reliable ones

For a piece of plastic that shoots pointy sticks they sure do have a high level of elitism. Good luck learning any fast shooting styles like Cherokee while shooting 20 dollar arrows.
>>
>>2732354
I have a kayak that is similar to this https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/kayaks/tribe-95 and was able to do a 3 day trip on it no problem. Could probably find one used for like 1/2 of the price
>>
File: feeshing.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x2268)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
>>2732354
>>
>hey guys i want a 20,000 livable in a major metro area

that's not prices work, turns out things cost money. for that budget you might as well get children's inflatable toys.

>RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2732354
>boatfags
gearfags are literally in any hobby that necessitates some certain equipments (so basically everything). it's like you never see bagfags or bootfags threads in this very board
I'd say do your own research, let the gearfags yapping but ignore most of their posts and only pay attention to usable data (spec sheets etc) that they sometimes drop between their egofellating drivels and passionate brand deepthroating
>>
>>2732831
I live in an extremely rural area.
>20,000
Are you unironically saying a non-motorized dinghy should cost 20,000 dollars?
Not to mention that I said nothing about it being livable.
Are you disabled?
>>
>>2732354
Self admitted redditor

>>2732355
Trailering a boat is not that bad or that hard. Most retards don't have guide-ons on their trailer and make it difficult on themselves. I've trailered a lot and even at the busy places during shrimping season it's never more than a 45mins at the dual launch. Not everyone is getting out or in at the same time.

I have no experience with a canoe, inflatable, or fishing from a kayak. I do have significant experience kayaking and aluminum boats. An old aluminum you can also launch from shore, or trailer depending. If you have a friend/family who can carry it that saves time, but you definitely won't carry it with a big motor on. You can get a small 2 stroke and put it on after, but you risk dropping it in the water, and or losing oil/fuel during transport, and it won't be as powerful as you want, but you'll still do fine. Electric motors are great, but expensive and have limited battery life obviously, and only so much HP output. We used to use an electric for trolling for trout before we left it out in the rain and the aluminum boat filled up because pine needles blocked the plug and it got submerged for god knows how long. Big rip.

Do not fish from a kayak, those people are retarded. I have been out fishing and seen them fishing out of the mouth of the harbor, never very far out where the fish actually are, and I have literally seen them flip and go into the relatively cold water with very very fast currents just a bit further out. Luckily for them there was another boat closer by that helped. I would've done it too if i was closer, but they are still retarded. You need a certain size of boat to hold big down riggers, and landing a fish in a kayak just seems awkward and a good way to roll in. If your going to be that dumb, do it on a lake, don't try it in saltwater.

Alu or canoe, I don't know what your fishing and I don't know how awkward roof rack transpo will be for you.

>>2732377
Just sleep on shore.
>>
>>2732354
Hey. If you get a dinghy get a little retractable bimini cover. Nothing better than napping in the shade on a hot day on the lake.
>>
>>2732831
>tries writing two sentences, fails twice
I don't think I trust you or your opinions.
>>
the canoe is the way. that's why they are so popular in canada and alaska. the aluminum ones last a lifetime too unless you total them on serious whitewater or something. which people ave done kek.
>>
>>2733029
Kayak saltwater is fine if you just know your limit, have common sense and don't push your luck. Don't go out of the harbor when the swell/wind are too rough. Always have your life jacket on Don't sit at the strong current at the mouth of a harbor to fish. Kayak can come in and out of a current well if because you point the kayak in the direction of the current but if your kayak is perpendicular to the current (which can happen when you are inattentive and distracted by fishing) you gonna get flipped by a swell. If you are in reasonable fit shape, you can recover from a flip.
Of course, I am also in socal where water never get that cold to be instantly deadly if fell in.
>>
>>2733029
you can't google shit about dick without getting at least one reddit thread in the results and it's usually more useful than the 14,000 AI/indian generated listicles and paid ads.
>>
>>2732354
If you just want to float around on the water inflatable kayaks are pretty great, just don't be stupid. I have a little sea eagle inflatable I payed like $200 for and its super comfy and I can lay down on it and chill in the water. Just know that cheap inflatables are only for lakes, not for rivers salt water.
>>
>>2732354
Wat r /outs thoughts on china made Amazon tier inflatables like the intex seahawk. Or just your general pack raft recommendations
>>
Hey frens, OP here.
Made up my mind - gonna buy a canoe.

To avoid flipping and drowning, I'm going to attach an outrigger to it, and I'm putting a tent on the platform the outrigger makes.
I'll also be using a 2HP motor to move around at a snail's pace.

It'll break down pretty easily, and I could haul it around without trouble. Inflatables are going to be a bit too flimsy for what I need (unless I'll be getting a bigger RIB, but then a canoe is cheaper).
>>
>>2733464
P.S. Thank you all for the information and advice. I really appreciate it, anons.
>>
>>2732354
>Why are Redditfags like this?
I mean, that's pretty much the typical behavior for any hobby group that focuses around consuming one specific thing.

>"hey guys, is this flashlight for $20 okay for checking the bushes in my garden at night?"
>only 2000 lumens? haha you won't see shit kid. what even is this chink brand? this combination of throw/flood looks disgusting, also that color temperature, eww
>dude, just buy a flagship Olight, I know it's $250 but it won't fry itself after you use it 2 times and you're going to have it FOR LIFE.

>"hey guys, is this $1000 bike ok for commuting 5km to work and riding around town on the weekends?
>dude, this shit is going to break the moment you hit a curb, what is this groupset, this won't even shift properly half the time, zero aero
>man, you should totally get this full carbon bike for $10000 with electric shifters, i know it's an expense but you're getting a QUALITY product that will last FOR LIFE.
>>
File: kayak-vs-packraft.jpg (83 KB, 1000x500)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>2733464
Anyone have experience with that setup?
Looks interesting.

>picrel
Should I get a kayak or packraft? (trips of a few days, no crazy expeditions, no whitewater)
The kayak is basically indestructible and it seems to be easier to maneuver.
The packraft is way easier to transport - a huge plus since I usually rely on public transportation.

The price is comparable, even though I'm sure I can find a used kayak for half the price somewhere.
>>
>>2734697
inflatables ONLY advantage is portability. everything else is a huge compromise. take that information very seriously. most people who buy inflatables eventually end up switching over after realizing this.
>>
>>2734697
if you are wanting to cover distance, pick a rec/touring kayak that is efficient to paddle. not just one of the kinds people buy and fuck around in. different kayaks paddle very differently, and some are a workout to do any real distance in, while others are extremely efficient. luckily, lots of people buy kayaks, use them a couple of times, and quit so you can find used ones with barely any wear on them.
>>
>>2732354
I would argue that over-consumption (in terms of obsessive design emphasis) is a part of the American culture.

They seem to endlessly refine their products and then the consumer seems to upgrade them yearly or periodically, to a similar version but now with an added extra function or improvement, marginally better and therefore more satisfying to consume.

You don't just buy a shirt, you buy THE shirt. It has the picture on the front to let everyone else know that it's THE shirt. And the hat too, always the middle-aged guy wearing THE hat even when he's sitting indoors. You're all blasting your egos everywhere in the way that you choose to appear.
>>
>>2732354
>Why are Redditfags
Don't care.
Why's OP boat so damn overpowered? 20hp would be more than adequate for a boat that size.
>>
File: 1000007789.jpg (1.85 MB, 2160x3840)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>2732354
Bought this couple years ago, on the day I was getting my Otzi flatpak grill copy DIY. turns out it has hot spots. but yeah. 300 dollar no holler. Over engineered by aircraft engineers after Great War 2. LOADS of capacity. Either for me, or whole family(wife and I have 3 kids). Alumicanoe all day.
>>
>>2734995
before anyone asks, cheap sheet metal, an angle grinder, drill and nibbler attachment pay for themselves making your own gear. also learning to sew or snapping up a heavy duty machine on discount or consignment. good drexel bits let you make those guy line alien things. My vote is still Mettalica canoe.
>>
>>2732354
Canoes and kayaks are nice. I don't have one but have used them many times.
I like them because they are quiet and let you enjoy your surroundings more. Paddling masterfully is a highly rewarding activity, especially when you learn to read the water and plot efficiently.
They will fit on a roof rack too if your car will allow it, or inside a cabin.
>>
>>2733029
The reason everyone sucks at trailering is everyone puts the trailer too far in the water and the bunks can't center the boat because it's floating above them. You don't need guides. Guides are for retards who can't see an unladen boat trailer out the back of their mall crawler and need to make the trailer arbitrarily more visible to compensate for not being able to back a trailer using the mirrors, and dipshits who think that they need to be able to motor up all the way to the winch roller instead of using a trailer like it's designed to be used. I have an 18 foot crestliner with a minnkota Terrova trolling motor and the remote. I can launch in 30 seconds and recover in under a minute, and all I have is a shorelander with the regular ass roller bunks, no guides.

Anyone can do this too, they just need to know how the fuck the trailer is designed to work.
>>
>>2734708
>inflatables ONLY advantage is portability. everything else is a huge compromise.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
Transportation issues are probably solvable and don't weigh as heavy as everything else combined.
>>2734711
>different kayaks paddle very differently, and some are a workout to do any real distance in
Good point. Maybe I thould try to do a test run first before buying shit like a retard.

Thanks, lads! Appreciate it

>>2734995
What is that sausage?
>>
>>2732354
Elitism and snobbery are a staple of online discourse bud. I don't even wanna call you an anon cause you're obviously new. Just ignore the comments. Also for that budget I would recommend a canoe, especially if you don't have a trailer. A lot of really nice outdoor shops where I live offer kitted out canoes in the 400-600 dollar range. You can fish off of them and if you catch enough fish they might start pulling you around if you're catching for keeps. Some even have compartments for storing fish.
>>
>>2736880
Kayaks at that price range are also better but smaller.
>>
I have a 4 and a 6 year old I was thinking of getting an inflatable kayak to paddle them around some lakes and ponds this summer. Is this a retarded plan?
>>
>>2737140
If you can logistically make a rigid boat work, you will have a better time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.