[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Im going to Italy, starting with Rome than use the train system(trenitalia) to enjoy different cities, im doing an italy sweep trying to have the ultimate Italian experience, is 10-12 days enough? any suggestions on
>where i should go and do.
I can speak Italian so small villages wont be an issue. thought about using a fairy to reach sicily.
>any activities for a single man
like going to restaurants alone isnt my thing, most of my food would be breakfast at a cafe or some fruit from a grocery store. ( i did this during my spain and france visits)
>is tinder good in italy?
used it both in spain and france, was successful in both, but im a little older, i believe thats a big factor on getting matches.
>>
>>2657319
Than use a train what?
>>
>>2657362
then* sorry mate
>>
>>2657319
damn nothing???
>>
>>2657319
>the ultimate Italian experience, is 10-12 days enough?
No. Italy is a big country. The idea of doing an "italy sweep", including sicily, in just 10-12 days is ridiculous. 10-12 days are barely enough to get a good feel for Rome and its immediate surroundings alone, unless your idea of "visiting" is quickly walking through the main tourist traps and then leaving to catch your next train. I'd advise to either just stay in Rome and explore it as thoroughly as you can, maybe head to places nearby like Tivoli to see the ruins of Villa Hadriana. Alternatively pick a region (centre, north south or even smaller like just Latium or just Tuscany) and stick with it
>I can speak Italian so small villages wont be an issue
You most likely have a ridicolous accent. Stick to english, most young people will understand you. Also, I'd advise against going to small towns if you're planning to use public transport; reaching them can be difficult and time consuming. Stick to large and medium sized cities, or just Rome
>any activities for a single man
I don't know man, what do you like
>is tinder good in italy?
As good as it can be in any other first world country ig

t. Italian
>>
>>2657654
>>2657319
this is bad, but hes right on the 10-12 days, can you do a month?
What are you looking for in italy?
>>
>>2657654
Im not op, im visiting utaly for a few weeks should I not bother to learn some broken italian and just speak english?
>>
>>2657319
If it's your first time, you'll probably want to do a Rome > Florence > Venice trip, spending about 5 or 6 days in Rome, overnight in Florence and a few days chilling in Venice before flying out through the venetian airport. You really don't have as much time as you think you've got and 5 or 6 days in Rome is a jam packed week with a lot of activity to cram a massive tour of the city in rather than rest and relaxation.
>>
>>2657319
You could easily spend two weeks in Rome itself if you have an interest in history-- Museums, Churches, Roman Ruins are all fantastic. Modern tourism as we know it started because Frenchmen, Germans, and Anglos wanted to see ancient Roman stuff, and tourism for it is still going strong
Doing a 7 days in Rome and 7 days somewhere in the south would be a good start for visiting Italy-- if you start with the big tourist checklist stuff in Rome like the Vatican, Collusseum and Forum etc. And then go down south to relax at a beach, or explore small hill towns you'll enjoy jt
>tinder
Make sure you call girls "terrona" they'll be absolutely enamored with you
>>
>>2657776
Depends where you're staying
If you're in smaller towns learning enough words to buy cigarettes isn't a bad idea
>>
File: 410TJ8Atp7L.jpg (543 KB, 1920x1440)
543 KB
543 KB JPG
I will also be in Italy for a few weeks, mostly along the West coast. I really want to get my hands on some casu martzu, but I won't be going to Sardinia. Is there a place I can find some illegal maggot cheese on the mainland?
>>
If anyone needs a job or a place to stay in Italy, I've got a offer in Sand in Taufers for you
>>
>>2658599
based Austrian preying on 4chan incels to kill them with an axe and feed em to his pigs
>>
>>2657319
If you want to try authentic Pizza pass by Caserta.
>>2658458
Probably not.
>>
>>2657319
>"I can speak Italian"
>Asking questions that indicate you barely know anything about Italy
>"fairy"

My main recommendations:
>Rome
Search for the ultimate chicken alfredo recipe in Rome. The thing is, sometimes restauranteurs don't want to serve it to you because it takes a little more time to prepare the authentic version. But if you are insistent and keep pressing for the original chicken alfredo then you eventually will earn their respect.

>Naples
The area right around the central train station is by far the most beautiful. Plan on spending most of your time here. People are extremely approachable.

>Sicily
Everyone speaks English here, even the old people, they can just be a bit shy about their abilities, but ultimately they prefer English. If they reply in Italian it just means they can't hear/understand you so just repeat it louder. They have these special zones called "ZTLs" that are like historical driving tours. Basically that means it's the section of town that the local government has set up for tourists to get the best drive tour.
>>
>>2661208
>>Naples
>The area right around the central train station is by far the most beautiful. Plan on spending most of your time here. People are extremely approachable
Lel
>>
Highjacking the thread. I'm looking at spending a few months in Southern Italy while I work on a book. What are good, affordable places to stay that can be recommended? I'm leaning towards Calabria and Puglia atm.
>>
>>2657654
>Also, I'd advise against going to small towns if you're planning to use public transport; reaching them can be difficult and time consuming. Stick to large and medium sized cities, or just Rome
Seconding this. I thought I was smart by staying with friends in a random village in the middle of nowhere, but it turned out being more expensive in the end. Good luck finding a taxi to take you home from the train station when you're in a random village in the middle of nowhere. It'll cost you another 40€ to get them to drive you the next town over. Not worth it. Rent a car if you must.
>>
File: 1705040287999372.jpg (213 KB, 1160x850)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>2657319
Hey /trv/lers! I'm hijacking this thread to share this website I just made where I archived what people on /trv/and other forums have to say about various regions and cities, plus a bunch of other resources, I hope it turns out useful for at least someone else
http://itg.vnanashi.net/
>>
File: 1677044320123051.jpg (95 KB, 1024x1017)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>2661208
They have these special zones called "ZTLs" that are like historical driving tours. Basically that means it's the section of town that the local government has set up for tourists to get the best drive tour.
>>
>>2657319
>Im going to rome
Ill save you the trouble and give you am authentic roman experience, ahem....
"wattur wattur watturrr durka durka water!"
"is bracelet. euros. YOU NO LIKE BLACK PEOPLE?!!??"
"YOU WANT FIGHT???"
"wattur watturrrr watturrrrr watturrrrrr"
*american accent* "ohhhh woooowwwww look, pasta!"
>>
>>2657319
Italy is filled with west african nog migrants now, not even worth going in 2024
>>
There's no city in the world more beautiful than Florence is, so you definitely should head up there too. Just be advised that there's way too many tourists.
>>
>>2663379
This
>>
>>2662621
What the fuck even is this building?
>>
>>2664240
Mole del Vittoriano, Roma
>>
>>2657654
Bawnjournou
>>
>>2664243
I was wondering if you could go inside it. Ive seen lots of pics of the outside but no idea what the interior looks like. Looked it up and the interior is how i imagine the very best ancient roman buildings might have looked, at least part of it. Most of it is obviously neo classical
>>
>>2657319
Anyone in Trastevere want to meet up and talk about niggers
>>
Naples is a bit difficult and unrefined. But im Glad I saw it with my own two eyes.
>>
>>2664557
Tell more about Naples
>>
Trains? Wtf? Use flixbus, why waste all your fucking money.
>>
>>2657319
Dude, less that 2 weeks just focus in 2 areas, maybe 3. One has to be Rome
>>
>>2657319
Be careful in trains, all the roma pickpocketers are there and very professional and in some cases, aggressive because authorities turn a blind eye to it.
>>
>>2661238
Lol for real! Go to Chiaia and Santa Lucia to appreciate Napoli. The station area is a dumpster inside a landfill.

I agree with others that it'a too ambitious and starting in the middle means you can't even move one direction. My best suggestion is to spend a day in Rome, head to Naples and spend half a day there, maybe a ferry to Ischia, nightlife in Naples, half a day in Pompei and a few nights on the coast, maybe also see Capri. Salerno is not far either and beautiful, you can go between Pompei and Salerno and the coastal towns go all around. Then you could actually go from Salerno directly to Rome if you fly out from Rome too. Get all the pizza and pasta your heart desires. See a lot of historical and cultural things. Try using your Italian where people speak Napolitano. This trip is much better, see other places next time.
>>
>>2665096
Best way to avoid pickpocketing? Backpack on front like a dork? No items in ass pockets?
>>
>>2665265
just don't look like a bitch
>>
>>2665265
Realistically, the only items you'll need for regular day-to-day activity are your phone and your wallet. If weather permits, wear a jacket. Keep your phone & wallet in the inner pockets of your jacket. If it's too hot to wear a jacket, wear a cross-body bag on the front, which looks less dorky than a full-sized backpack.
>>
>>2658063
4 days in Rome is plenty unless you plan on standing in the lines like a rube. Take those extra 3 days and go to Verona and Treviso.
>>
>>2665274
Im 6’3” 210lbs of burger so should be ok

>>2665358
Im going in august so probably no jacket but a camera bag, but noted thanks
>>
>>2665265
Neapolitan here, wallet stays in the front pocket, don't put anything you'll regret losing in back pockets
>>
>>2658064
they unironically speak the best english in the small towns
its also an intelligence thing, dumb people will barely speak english whereas smart people will speak the best
>>
>>2666100
i put use condom there as little sorpresa :)
>>
File: 1699884559613302.jpg (1.83 MB, 1080x1920)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
Rome is boring and crowded past seeing Palatine hill, the villa parks, and the Vatican museum. Plus if you have a shred of a disgust response left you'll see red every time some 4 foot tall goblin tries to make you buy their garbage trinkets and Chinese scarves. You can do the whole thing in 3 days if you're not a Catholic or dumb enough to believe the "history" catholics present.
Hint: The priests wrote their own fanfic, never trust a priest.

>>2665096
In Rome the pickpockets are not pros lol
It's women in bucket hats who target solo travelers wearing Gucci who deserve it for being vain retards.
Genuinely Gucci/LV/ect might as well be a big sign that says IM POOR AND STUPID PLEASE ROB ME.

Do buy real Italian linen and leather though. It's cash money.

>>2664569
Naples, Pompeii, and the non tourist area of Capri are the best places in Europe I've been.
There's really nothing better than walking cobblestone jasmine scented side streets sipping fresh lemon juice and tanning on the beach, or walking Roman streets and looking at lucky penis street signs.
>>
>>2666118
>Rome is boring
>>
>>2666171
If you are Catholic it's awesome, you'll never be bored.
For those of us more interested in the art history and archeology, Florence and Naples are better.
>>
>>2666202
must be quite incredible seeing the same biblical scenes again and again and again and again and again in buildings which look the same.
>>
File: 1687208046546264.jpg (1.2 MB, 1080x1920)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2666273
The Vatican museum to it's credit does have a sizable amount dedicated to pre Christian works.
It's only worth it if you get skip the line tickets (good luck).
I stood in like for 2.5 hours hoping at least something in Rome would be cool, but it was still not as good as the Naples museum which took 5 minutes to get in and cost half lol
>>
>>2657319

I spent a week in Rome as one of my first solo holidays, I loved it and would happily go back and explore the entire area grand tour style in a heartbeat.
I have a few highlights you may be interested in, with all the things there I HIGHLY recommend prebooking, pre checking and getting whatever "fast pass" there is on offer. Don't wait in lines like a rube. I stayed in a cheap hotel nearby the train station, from there it takes about an hour to walk to the vatican, so all in all the main parts of the city are quite easy to get around. Don't ever EVER buy water, bring an empty bottle and learn the water tap locations cold free water has never tasted so good. Look online for the best resturants by checking what places are highly rated by italians, and only italians, the locals will always know better.

Pantheon - amazing, with the caveat of a huge line to get in. Only way to skip the line is by waking up at 5 in the morning, you'll be first in the que and spending even 5 mins in that building with >10 people makes the effort entirely worth it.

Churches - Go into all of them whenever possible. Literal milillenia of history, gets you out of the sun and helps cool you off if your visiting in the summer and each building interior is beautiful.

I did the colloseum and the forum together on the same day, It's amazing if you love history. Be prepared for masses of people though.

There was a boat cruse along the Tiber that I would definately recommend, I can't remember the name but it came with an included meal at a fish resturant at the end, only thing of note was that the location the boat sets of from is pretty shady. Nearby said boat cruse location is the ara pacis and the mausoleum of augustus - amazing shit if you like history
>>
>>2667656
cont.

I went to the vatican museum in the very early morning with a tour guide as to get up the dome and see all that amazing shit, following that I went to the vatican museum which was also amazing, a favourite part of that museum was the artwork of the gypsy girl, even as an uncultured plebian I could see what a masterwork it was. from there I would recommend walking via the botanical gardens on the Janiculum Hill to get some amazing panoramic views of rome and then head on down to Trastavere where there are a bunch of godlike resturants to eat from, along with very pretty narrow streets and plazas.

I would also recommend hiring a bike and cycling along the appian way, following the aquaduct is something I wouldn't recommend missing and the change of scenery is very nice, not to mention there are some very good places to have a rest stop and get a drink + icecream.

The spanish steps and the Trevi fountain are things you can't miss of course, Though I think it's a much better use of your time to travel between each of the ancient Egyptian obelisks, doing that will let you see lots of the city and visit most of the interesting plazas.

Make sure you go to the capitoline hill and see the musuem there, that museum just goes on and on and on, make sure to be thorough because there's quite a lot you can easily miss there.

That's the most memorable things I did on my trip. Make sure you have plenty cash to be eating out for lunch and dinner, food is not to be missed. Italians will of course know better and have better tips.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.