[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1685708251940193.jpg (1.59 MB, 1280x1024)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
Warrior Kings.
It's a game that honestly isn't too bad. Bit janky, but really fun because it's surprisingly deep.
>>
File: sid-meier-s-antietam_2.jpg (130 KB, 800x600)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>never see anyone talk about it
>for ages couldn't even find it on abandonware websites
>>
File: 1704440968366956.jpg (632 KB, 1600x900)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>one of my first strategy games
>had SOUL, with the manual almost giving an entire page to one unit to detail their life philosophy, combat style, and role in the village
>is the reason I always try to limit losses in games I play because training new units is such a pain
>remake Zen Edition remaster whatever makes it even better, with accurate tooltips explaining what units are good/weak against
>>
>>1759476
>obscure games thread
>doesn't post the game's name
Brilliant.
>>
>>1759508
Because it's not that obscure. You do know it, don't you?
>>
>>1759450
I've recently played this game for a bit for the first time. I like the graphic. It's might be nostalgia kicking in, but I find those early 3d blocky graphic charming. The camera on the other hand is pretty bad. I find it annoying just to look around.

>>1759508
It's Battle Realms. Which might be the most generic name for strategy game out there. Still really fun game.
>>
File: 1698603588051272.jpg (525 KB, 1280x1024)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
>>1759518
I genuinely like it, but it might be because I have a soft spot for strategy games that try new things.
And WHB is really original in a lot of things.
>>
>>1759519
Yeah, I heard about the splinting tech tree where you can go pagan, renaissance or "christian". For sure Warrior Kings is a game that I should give a longer try, although I don't know where I'll get in mood for that with other things on my mind right now.
>>
>>1759547
Well, that, but also training, formations... even having a logistic system with caravans to bring goods to your manor is something I rarely see. Last game I saw that in was Planetside.
>>
File: 0000000228.1920x1080.jpg (288 KB, 1024x768)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
A hood classic
>>
File: 1710167380509428.jpg (1.52 MB, 1280x1024)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
QUICK MARCH
>>
>>1759549
>logistic system with caravans to bring goods to your manor is something
I might remember it wrong but iirc Stronghold 2 has similar caravan system where you could transport resources between provinces. Not to say that S2 is an obscure strategy game because it's now. Even if it stays in the shadow of Stronghold 1 and Crusader. Just like every other game from the series.
Tell you what, to me the ability to raid and disturb enemy economy is a significant part of strategy game. It's always a plus for me if the game allows it. The worst case is when AI just straight up cheat with resources.
>>
>>1759629
So did Stronghold Legends when you captured a neutral province, but WHB felt more organic, since all ressources were deposited at your villages, then moved to your mansion.
There's also Deadlock 2, a game I really like, that has an even deeper system where every province has its own ressources, so you have to move food and iron to your factories-intensive provinces.

And yeah, the AI is a big issue with these old games.
>>
>>1759637
If you want autistic resource management, Sid Meier's Colonization is always good. You can't really optimise every city to produce the food/lumber/tools/guns/horses you need in order to churn out military units. So sometimes it's easier to have factory cities that are fed by outlying territories, and all this trade needs to be carried by wagon units and such. Which inevitably will get attacked when you declare independence.

On that note, is there a game like Colonization but in space? Where the early game has you dependent on your homeland but the ultimate goal is to become self-sufficient?
>>
File: freemars1.jpg (553 KB, 1920x1080)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
>>1759648
>On that note, is there a game like Colonization but in space? Where the early game has you dependent on your homeland but the ultimate goal is to become self-sufficient?
There is Free Mars, which I think it's a offshot of FreeCol. At least the end goal is the same. Grow your colony interdependent. Of course as the name suggest it takes place only on Mars.
>>
>>1759685
Make your colony independent.*
I don't know how I fuck it up so much.
>>
File: 1711673216778793.gif (3.91 MB, 480x506)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB GIF
>>1759687
>I don't know how I fuck it up so much.
It's OK fren, I know what you meant.
>>
>>1759648
>On that note, is there a game like Colonization but in space? Where the early game has you dependent on your homeland but the ultimate goal is to become self-sufficient?
I can argue that Age of Empires 3 has that. Some factions allow you to go independant by the end.
>>
>>1759693
>Age of Empires 3
>Space
>>
Has anyone played Warbreeds? It's one of those games I experience as a kid only thanks to a demo on some magazine's disc. You could customize your troops weapons by changing their limbs which was neat.
>>
>>1759750
Is it grafting?
>>
>>1759476
can anyone explain to me how to minmax the fight mechanics in this game, once this game starts throwing CNC waves at me in the end i cannot micro to save my life and my dudes just cannot resist fighting when i tell them to run no matter what
>>
>>1759547
if i ever try it again and fix the modern performance issues i would recommend this over many RTS games, it just does alot of things right for the time, feature rich with random qol stuff. It feels like a real RTS version of the total war series, theres quite a bit of soldier management flavor thrown in without a whole overbearing system even, and even the supply system is just one step further than the norm without being silly with managing food and arrow supplies.
>>
>>1759821
Depends if it's OG Battle Realms or the Zen Edition, but in any of these, the AI will prioritize your healers, so don't send your healers in while the fight is at its toughest, send them once the enemy start losing ground.
In Zen Edition, the enemy will also make a beeline to your ranged units, so prioritize melee units to try to block them, and have a lot of control groups to engage several disruptors at once.
>>
>>1759755
I don't know. I don't think the nature of the creation of units was explained in the demo. Maybe in the instruction. Gameplay wise you just choose weapons you put on defined bodies.
>>
>remember this game on magazine demo disc
>RTS with base building, a couple of factions that I think were very similar
>good guys were some shade of cyan or teal IIRC
>bad guys were almost salmon
>power armor and a mech with chicken legs
>don't understand anything but love it
>years go by, wonder what the game was
>look in abandonware site multiple times
>finally find it
>forget to save the link and didn't download it right away
>forgot its name again
God damn I feel retarded. Does anyone have any idea what game it could be?
>>
>>1759908
Was it Extreme Tactics?
>>
File: 1761367288.png (254 KB, 900x806)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>1759908
> bad guys were almost salmon
who tf wants to play a fish based RTS?
>>
>>1759908
>power armor and a mech with chicken legs
Pffffff.
Was it 2D? 3D? It wasn't Space Rangers or something, right?
>>
>>1759937
he means the color
>>
>>1759937
Fish themed rts? Sounds bassed.
>>
>>1760335
I will hurt you.
>>
>>1759587
>>1759519
>>1759450
One of the worst unit AI in strategies I saw, don't play.
>>
>>1760417
So you never played empire earth or seven kingdoms 2, got it
>>
>>1760435
I ahven't yeah.
>>
>>1760437
I'm not exactly sure why you dislike WHB's AI, but between Empire Earth's who literally has unlimited ressources and will build whatever counters you and Seven Kingdoms 2's who never breed new frythans and thus always run out of units... Yeah, WHB's is okay.
>>
>>1760441
Pathfinding is terrible, also if you squad a unit it won't be able to go through anything really because the squad size is too wide.
>>
>>1760445
Oh, that. Yeah, pathfinding is atrocious.
My apologies, I thought you meant AI as in enemy ai.
>>
>>1759476
WHEN WILL THE ZEN EDITION REMASTER ACTUALLY COME OUT
>>
>>1759750
How does it compare to Metal Fatigue?
>>
>>1760451
Isn't it out?
>>
>>1760459
Out of EA
>>
>>1760462
Oh. Eventually.
What I really want is some synergy between clans. Something a la Age of Empires 2, or maybe the ability to train your peasants at your amlies' structures to get unique units or use their gears.
>>
File: 20240519222730_1.jpg (603 KB, 1600x900)
603 KB
603 KB JPG
>can actually train the healers
NICE
>>
>>1759933
No, it wasn't.
>>1759937
The color, anon.
>>1760166
2d, it probably was before 3d RTS even was a thing. It was ground based and had a classic grassland map in the demo.
>>
>>1760918
Don't suppose it's KKND or whatever?
Honestly, colours don't mean much.
>>
>>1760922
>>1760922
No, it was roughly the same period but KKND was a different game. Plus in that it was the classic blue and red. I will really have to try and browse the whole abandonware catalog again, hoping not to miss it. Fuck.
>>
>>1760932
I wonder, maybe you can find "100 old strategy games" on Youtube or something. I used that to find The Unholy War.
>>
>>1760935
I'm browsing the abandonware site hoping in filters as we speak, will report if I find it.
>>
>>1760942
Yeah, sorry. That's just too old for me.
>>
>>1760944
Found it, it was Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3
I remembered the colors wrong or my display at the time was shit, in screens here they look more like green vs red, here's the chicken legs robot.
>>
>>1760950
what in the fuck is that
>>
>>1760951
Looks like a tank blob with a robot chicken.
>>
>>1760888
What do you mean? Can't tell if this is
>male peasant turns to woman
or
>they actually gave healers to Wolf
or
>the fact that female units can get an upgrade after Winter of the Wolf (but Druids are not healers)
probably the last one
>>
>>1760964
The last one, yeah.
Peasants don't turn into women, they replace the women. Second is just a misunderstanding.
Druidess got nerfed in Zen Edition anyway, they throw a ball instead of a seeking missile, but I never noticed you could train them in the upgraded town square. That's neat.
>>
>>1760453
Metal Fatigue is the only "make your own unit" RTS where the individual parts actually have a significant impact not only gameplay wise but also visually.
>>
File: wz2100title.jpg (1.18 MB, 3817x2044)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>1761081
not even the best for that
>pic rel
>>
>>1761095
Nope, I've seen this also the last time I saw a Metal Fatigue thread on /vst/. The custom units here are the same as in all the other customizable units RTSs.

In Metal Fatigue, all parts have unique combat animations, three different skins, some parts are fundamentally unique, and especially for Mil-Agro vs Neuropa a cut off arm makes a huge difference.
>>
>>1760950
Isn't this the game with 6 factions or something. Does it run on modern hardware?
>>
>>1761388
I have no idea, still have to try on a newer system.
>>
>>1761388
Four factions. Humans, the Scorps, Darkens and Mercs. I wish someone who played the game or G-nome, which takes place on the same planet, would describe what's the differences between these three alien species because there isn't much information out there about it .
>>
If we're talking unit customization, Impossible Creatures has to be mentioned. The hybrid animal editor is no doubt the main if not the only reason the game is still remembered. Personal I've tried it a couple times but I've always lost interest around the third mission of the campaign. I think I just don't find the setting that interesting despite the gimmick.
>>
>>1759648
dispora:ex astris maybe, but its probably too much micromanagement autism for someone from /vst/
>>
File: 1534984894984.jpg (728 KB, 1920x1080)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
The Conquest of Elysium series seems pretty obscure. It's like the overlooked cousin to the Dominions series; you really have to go looking for people to bring it up and even then threads/reddits about it are pretty dead. It's no-where near as autistic as Dominions and it focuses more on worldbuilding and games being more memorable, which is maybe why the fanbase isn't quite as devoted.

Pic related is the apocalypse that happened because someone panicked about a demon invasion and broke all the seals, leading to the four horsemen showing up and wrecking shit before angels and demons invaded to fight each other and fuck over the factions even more. The terrain there wasn't originally desert, I think either the demon pit slowly killed the surrounding landscape, or maybe the locust demons did it. I ended up turtling in my area and waiting for the angels to finish off the last of my enemies (and hoping they didn't come my way) so I'd win. God sent me some cool helpers but they just roamed around on their own getting into big fights with demons and the more hostile angels.
>>
>>1761973
I remember that game very well.
Because the walls were really unique.

>>1762204
I tried these games often, always got filtered because AI would die instantly, doing anything took 20 turns of saving up...
>>
Just call this thread what it really is - older games that weren't as popular as the big names. No game ever posted in these threads are obscure.
>>
>>1762226
Don't even pretend you know what anal sex is about, loser.
>>
>>1762226
Don't even pretend you know what warrior king is about, loser.
>>
>>1762222
>I tried these games often, always got filtered because AI would die instantly, doing anything took 20 turns of saving up...
Yeah that's true, AI dying early can often happen. You can get around it by having more AI players so it's less likely to end the game, or there are workshop mods that give the AI an immobile commander at their home base so even if they get their main commander killed early on it doesn't wipe the faction. Some factions can be a real slow burn with saving up resources, but a lot of it depends on the faction and the era you choose. If you go dark ages with necro or sacrifice-heavy factions you'll have a bad time because there aren't many settlements to get resources from. But if you go empire with them you'll have lots and lots of settlements to give you both gold and your faction resource.
>>
>>1762235
>workshop mods that give the AI an immobile commander at their home base
That one's probably the most useful QoL mod. The other mods can be an acquired taste, but the static commander one is mandatory IMO.
>>
>>1760950
While trying to find a v1.2 patch that will run for the 1.1 version from muh brandonwear, I've discovered that patches-scrolls still exists. Mind: blown.
>>
It has been years since I played it. Ancient Conquest Quest for the Golden Fleece is an all naval rts with two playable factions: Greeks and Persians, plus unplayable barbarians in the campaign. The only land units are some npc monsters. It's ships all the way. How it differs from having land units? First there is an option to customize unit by putting different soldiers and war machines on the deck. Second is that all units beside attacking in normal fashion can also ram and board enemy ships. Also iirc wind direction has effect on units speed. What's annoying is that you can't interact with ships once the ramming and boarding is playing and many ship types, except for special ones like the greek fire one, look too similar.
>>
>>1762830
My brother in Christ, now THIS is the shit I was hoping to see when I made that thread.
We need more naval RTS.
>>
File: DW.jpg (135 KB, 800x600)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
I loved Demonworld, I don't know if there was ever an English release.

It was a great game, the combat was somewhat like Total War. I even bought it of ebay, but couldn't get it to run.
>>
>>1763131
What language did it come out in?
>>
>>1763131
Unit graphics look like Warlords Battlecry sprites, quite suspiciously so.
>>
File: subt.jpg (359 KB, 1024x768)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>1763076
The same studio also made Submarine Titans which as name implies, takes place underwater. Guess the devs had a thing for sea themed rts games.
>>
>>1763317
Ha, an Anon on /vg/ tried to make me try that game, but it sadly never worked on my PC.
Shame, it looks really fun.
>>
>>1763317
Oh I played that one recently, bought it on GOG. Really underwhelming compared to what I remember as a kid.
>>
>>1763319
I have gog version and it works fine on my machine, same like the other anon. I don't know what version do you have. It appears steam version doesn't have the latest patch 1.1. Have you checked pc gaming wiki?
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Submarine_Titans

>>1763513
Unfortunately that's the thing with these obscure games.It would be great to discover hidden gem, but most of them are fine but not amazing or have cool ideas, mechanics or presentation but are weighted down by shortcomings. They can be fun, but you know, nowadays you just have so much option to spend free time, even when we're just talking video games. You're not kid with unlimited free time who doesn't know better anymore. Still I find obscure games an interesting thing to talk about.
>>
>>1762830
Chodźmy na ryby!
>>
>>1761973
great game, never bothered much with the campaign, but the skirmish is awsome and multiplayer was great
>>
>>1763650
For me it's lewa rączka, prawa rączka from Black Moon Chronicles.
Speaking of, this game is 10/10 in term of atmosphere and soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QXXB1Kt3E&t=148s
Gameplay wise sadly not so amazing. I wouldn't call it bad, but especial AI is pretty dumb.
>>
>>1763794
Is that artwork by Ledroit? Odd that it would show up for some random game.
>>
>>1763811
Well he drew five issues of the original comic this games is based on.
Speaking of Ledroit and strategy games. Far from obscure game, but Ledroit also made concept arts for Heroes of Might and Magic 5. You should look it up. They're great.
>>
>>1763260
>>1763287
Came out in German in 1997. Don't think it ever was translated. It had really cool cutscenes, war diaries, between missions. I was really into the story as well. But I was seven as well.

https://youtu.be/ZK3mLzuSfDw
>>
>>1763631
Nah, just got the iso, mounted it, launched it, didn't work, went "oh well, too busy anyway".

>>1763794
They made a game about these books?
Whisperhill did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1763794
I got filtered hard by the demo mission of this one as a kid, how do you win that scenario when you only have the basic melee unit at your disposal (besides the hero who must stay alive)?
>>
>>1764242
I didn't play the demo so I don't know what mission are you talking about. Do you mean the first mission of the prologue campaign that takes place on a farm? Or maybe the one after it that takes place iirl in a town? Although either way I would say make use of Whisperhill air elementals and fireballs and don't let him get surrounded by enemy units.
>>
>>1759908
My first guess was something like 7th Legion but then I got the feeling you're talking about Dominion. The game was an ambitions attempt but it didn't turn out as good as they wanted it to.

>>1761508
I have finished it once with everyone but if there is any info fleshing them out in-game I no longer remember that. I keep intending to play it again.
If you meant what the gameplay differences are then some of their units and towers are a bit different, aside from the obvious last tier units that are very different.
>>
>>1763794
>cryo interactive
certified cursed shit.
>>
Does anyone recall this one Korean rts that takes place in someone's body? I only saw screenshot of it once. I'm not even sure it came out outside of Korea.
>>
I was today years old when I discovered that Jurassic War is not, in fact, slavjank. It's actually Korean. And they even made a sequel.
>>
>>1764792
What?
>>
>>1764803
Rts that takes place inside a human body. Like the movie Fantastic Voyage or every cartoon that reused its premise for one episode.
>>
>>1764811
If you ever find it, please share it. I'm curious.
>>
>>1764792
I don't know about an RTS but I remember one game from the late 90s which did take place in someone's body, it was super weird, freaked me out as a kid. I think it was 3D though, might be wrong.
>>
>>1764792
>>1764814
Found it. It's Vital Device: Entrapped by the Queen.
>>
>>1764900
What the fuck is that Starcraft-like.
>>
>>1764900
>queencel guard
damn that's rough, why did they have to call it that
>>
>>1764928
Yeah, looks like just a soulless Korean Starcraft rip off pretending to be something different. Probably reverse engineered.
>>
File: atrox_20.png (164 KB, 800x600)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>1764928
Considering how popular Starcraft is there it's not a surprise some Korean studio took inspiration from it. Not even the first Korean starcraft knock-off. That would be Atrox. Possible there might be more.
>>
File: seven-years-war_17.png (97 KB, 640x480)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
I'm also aware of Seven Years War (not the European one, the one where Japaneses invaded Koreans, again) but that's more Wacraft 2 clone.

>>1764957
kek
>>
>>1764816
Fuck now I can't stop thinking about this. Does anyone have a clue? Release date had to be between 1996 and 1999, most likely 1997 or 1998 because a demo version of the game came out on the same disk as a demo (or trailer?) for Hopkins FBI.
>>
>>1765164
That looks more like a Warcraft Orcs and Humans clone then 2.
>>
>>1765167
Do you remember what genre it was? I understand it wasn't rts.
>>
>>1765159
I mean, Starcraft was successful, but it was also a lightning in a bottle, that can't be easy to imitate.
>>
>>1765167
Isn't it >>1764900?
>>
>>1765342
No, I think it was 3D, late 90s 3D graphic, camera movement similar to Descent, like you were floating inside a vein or something.
>>
>>1765347
Oh, you're a different guy, okay.
Sorry then can't help.
>>
>>1765347
huh earlier when i googled it out of interest i got a result that reminded me of descent but didn't think much of it because of the genre
try and see if it's this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBYS_ahDG0
>>
>>1759450
7 kingdoms 2
>>
>>1765639
Basé
>>
>>1764900
Queencels, when will they learn...
>>
>>1765692
Gotta call Stigma cop.
>>
File: Glest.jpg (148 KB, 800x600)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
Glest. The game was part of my childhood and I'm still fond of it.
>>
>>1765647
Seven kingdoms: Conquest
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22 KB, 480x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1765164
Love that game and its sequel. It's a real shame part 2 never got a release outside of Korea. The Japanese were definitely the more fun faction in both games.
>>1765174
Mechanically it's very much WC2.
>>
Dark Planet Battle For Natrolis

By the time I found a copy it was already 8 years past since its release, just didn't even end up playing it as much as I played the demo when I was younger.

There is also a fantasy rts called Strife? I don't remember much of it other than the demi where you were dark Elves with gnoll workers
>>
>>1765972
>There is also a fantasy rts called Strife?
The name sounded familiar and I thought I saw this game once in an old magazine, but it turned out I was thinking about Stranger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miy9klVX6f4
Looks to be rather average rts (iirs it got 3 out of 6 in the magazine), although interestingly enough it made by the studio behind Sudden Strike series.

As for Strife, are you sure it was the title? Only game named Strife I can find is 90's shooter and 2015 moba.
>>
>>1765988
Nah wasn't stranger, it was 2d isometric, almost got Warlords vibes. Each of the resource points you build some structure and all these resource structures have like a metal loop on the top that links to your main structure. All the resources are transferred in blue energy balls to the central structure theough the links. I played this like 20 years ago so I can't recollect everything but those things stood out. I found the demo in a PC gamer magazine I borrowed from the library. I am sure it was something Strife.
>>
>>1765913
Heck is that? There's only one ressource?

>>1765912
>dragons
I'm interested.
>>
>>1765997
Sounds like Creeper World, except that one is from the top.
>>
>CTRL+F "Original War"
Um, hello?
>>
>>1766034
You mean the game that gets its own thread here every month? Yeah very obscure.
>>
>>1766034
>not unholy war
PLEB
L
E
B
>>
>>1765639
>>1765647
Finally someone other than me brings it up.
give me your
>favorite nation
>favorite regular soldier
>favorite special unit
>favorite deity (hard mode: no Isis)
also
>is it just me or are the campaign missions really poorly designed and fluctuate between so easy so as to be barely considered a game and impossible to win without cheese (spawning with a few carts and soldiers at an empty edge of the map of the enemy province, no resources, get rushed by every fryhtan on the map within 5 minutes)
>>
>>1766189
-Japan for architecture.
-Indian/Egyptian for quick range.
-Maybe Deruvid? Or Roman Cavalry.
-Sorry, Isis is the only one I ever use.
>>
>>1766189
>spawning with a few carts and soldiers at an empty edge of the map of the enemy province, no resources, get rushed by every fryhtan on the map within 5 minutes
I really hated that. It's insanely difficult to win such a map start.
>>
>>1759476
Good job not posting the actual name, zoomer faggot.
>>
>>1766216
>still mad 8 days later
You got told the name, quit your bitching, woman.
>>
>>1761081
Earth 2150 has this
>>
>>1766201
Good choices, here's mine
>Rome for cool looking big shields and gladius combo, I think there was a serious ranged damage reduction too
>Persian for cool cloaks and ranged or Chinese for cool spears and ranged
>just the elephants really, usually I don't bother with the others
>same, about Isis that is. The Roman greater being is also good because it increases leadership. The Chinese dragon is also cool looking

>>1766204
Yeah I think if you build a couple of inns and get good mercs you could win, otherwise you're fucked. Inns are really OP in this game, you have to restrain yourself or you'll break the game. I only build one Inn and only use it to get good generals and spies when I feel like fucking with spies.
>>
>>1766224
>if you build a couple of inns and get good mercs you could win
Pretty much, it was extremely RNG. If you got some decent mercs you could pull through; if not, better luck on your next restart.
>>
>>1766218
Nah. WarZone is much better in this regard, and WarZone is not nearly as impactful as MF.
>>
>>1766218
Not to the extent he means by "significant impact".

>>1766241
Chassis-turret combinations in Earth 2150 are more distinct, sorry. Warzone is definitely a good game but I can immediately tell what an Earth 2150 unit is by just looking at it.
>>
>>1765639
>>1766189
This looks neat. Gonna try it out now.
>>
Isn't Impossible Creatures the closest to Metal Fatigue in terms of differences between custom units?
>>
>>1766252
It's quite non-standard and mostly its own thing, at least I've never played anything quite like it. I don't remember how good the tutorials were, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.
>>
Does Perimeter count? I remember reading reviews about it in gaming magazines back in the day and they were like "this is such a revolutionary concept" but to me it looked very unfun and it had to be unpopular because it came out as a "cover game" (full game on the DVDs that used to come with gaming magazines back in the day).
>>
>>1766269
Not that anon, but I played 7 kingdoms 2 for the first time some times ago and I've to say it's the most unintuitive rts to learn on your own. Like you have to play tutorials because this game does things so different your experience from other rts games is useless. It's not necessary a bad thing, in fact I bet the unique gameplay is why the game is still remembered, but at the same time, man. How do I put workers into building? You would think you just need to select workers and click on the building with the mouse but no, it doesn't work that way.
>>
File: PERIMETER Legate Edition.jpg (561 KB, 1920x1080)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>1766273
Funny you mention this game because remastered version called Legate Edition came out just a few days ago.
>>
>>1766288
Yeah I'm not sure that if I hadn't picked it up as a kid with infinite time and mindless enthusiasm, I would have had the patience to learn how it works.

As for workers, are you asking how it works or just giving an example of a mechanic that's confusing?
>>
>>1766290
does it restore cut dialogues and flesh out the story more?
>>
>>1766288
>Like you have to play tutorials
OH NO!!
THE HORROR!!

>>1766291
Bitch IO played it as a kid, don't assume are retarded. I definitely was a better player when I was younger.
When I was a kid, I could switch from Perimeter to Praetorian to Seven Kingdoms 2 in a flash.
Now I struggle to remember to take my medication, I get lost in the lobby in Destiny 2, and I constantly speak French on English servers, English on French servers, and Arab on Israelite servers.
>>
>>1766293
It looks like it. And it comes out bundle up with the expansion. On the downside you only get Russian voice-overs with English subtitles, if you care about that.
>>
>>1766317
>INVADE UKRAINE INVADE UKRAINE INVADE UKRAINE
Gee, I love these Russian voiceovers. So subtle.
>>
>>1766317
cool, i might try it then.
>>
>>1766288
whew, I could figure it out as a 9 year old with a pirated copy and without a manual, and I'm a retard. Whats wrong with you?
>>
>>1766303
Tutorials, especial the ones where you just read text in small windows, are always cancer and I will skip them whenever I can.
>>
>>1766290
Why can't current slop or indiejank look this good nowadays?
>>
>>1766291
>As for workers, are you asking how it works or just giving an example of a mechanic that's confusing?
The latter. Maybe not the best example but I was confused the first time I played.
>>
File: Heaven and Hell.jpg (120 KB, 572x800)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Iirc an unusual rts where you convert neutral units and buildings instead of making them yourself.
>>
File: fate-of-the-dragon_16.jpg (246 KB, 1024x768)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>1759450
this game was my first ever rts
>>
>>1767771
Without looking up anything, based on the graphics of the cover art I predict this is Austrian
>>
>>1767788
Germany actually. I thought at least the studio might lied close to Austria, but according to ModyGames the studio was in Zweibrücken, a city next to the French border, so it's not so close.
Why did you think it's an Austrian game anyway? That's oddly specific
>>
>>1767799
nta but Austrian games had a lot of box art that looked close to claymation. It was oddly specific during some early gaming periods.
>>
File: america.jpg (338 KB, 1024x768)
338 KB
338 KB JPG
not sure if it was obscure or not, nobody at my school played it though
>>
>>1767771
I actually like that one. It was like a better version of Afterlife.

>>1767772
The buildings are very sexy. Keep posting you slag.
>>
>>1767891
>It was like a better version of Afterlife.
What do you mean? These two aren't alike at all beside pseudo-religious theme. One is city-builder/tycoon set in afterlife and the other is rts about missionaries.

>>1767772
I played the demo. The only thing I remember is Chinese setting and gimmick with playing on two maps at the same time.
>>
>>1761081
me when i forget impossible creatures
>>
>>1767861
I remember this from a video game mag in the 2000s.
>>
Should I buy Impossible Creatures on Steam or is it better on GOG? Or should I wait for the Man*Gaming review?
>>
>>1768103
>buy
But there doesn't seem to be difference between Steam and Gog version.
>>
>>1768116
Steam has Steam workshop, huge deal.
>>
File: fate-of-the-dragon_11.jpg (239 KB, 1024x768)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1767891
>>1768086
i liked the fact you can only train soldiers by putting workers in barracks, and you can only make cavalry by producing a horse and mounting units on it
>>
>>1759476
I see someone made a thread just for Battle Realms because of this thread.
>>
>>1768137
>only train soldiers by putting workers in barracks, and you can only make cavalry by producing a horse and mounting units on it
damn, speaking of Battle Realms... this is also in Battle Realms
one would think that one or the other got inspired by the first one, but they both came out literally in the same year, impressive
>>
>>1768118
Yeah, I've forgotten about it. You can still download the two big mods from moddb, but extra maps are nice.

>>1768137
Battle Realms mentioned here >>1759470 has similar mechanic with unit training and horses. You can even send already trained warrior to a different barrack type to turn him into higher tier unit.
>>
>>1768145
love sid meier's battle realms
>>
>>1768143
must've been a really good year
>>
File: siege weapons.jpg (225 KB, 1024x768)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>1768137
>>1768143
>>1768145
>>1768157
game had really nice siege weapons too, from catapults and ladders to a thing that sends units flying across the wall
>>
File: no-man-s-land_5.jpg (138 KB, 800x582)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1767861
Man, too bad we don't get a lot of wild west rts games. The closest I can think of is Age of Empire 3 with USA and Mexico faction.
I haven't played this game, but I've played No Man's Land which is, well title wise it doesn't sound like prequel, but but it's made by the same studio and it takes place like a century before.
Beside these two games the studio also made Castle Strike before Ubisoft gobbled it up and delegated to making Anno series. I have heard nothing about this game. Looks like Stronghold knock-off, but that's not necessary a bad thing.
>>
>>1768142
Yeah, "someone", h-haha...

>>1768137
Reminds me of American Conquest. On top of Battle Realms too, of course.

>>1768160
Damn I love the buildings.
>>
>>1767771
Remember this one.
>>
>>1759450
How about this one?
Evolva.
>>
>>1769146
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1769146
One of the games that scared me when I read about it in video game magazines when I was a little girl.
>>
>>1769150
kek
>>
>>1769148
Is that a survival strategy? Looks like that Space Hulk thing, except without corridors.
>>
>>1769153
Uhm... this is a action game where you need to "evolve" 4 team members in different ways, moving from mission to mission.
>>
>>1769153
Oh man, while reading this thread I quietly forgot that we are talking only about strategies. Anon, although this game is very obscure, sorry for offtopic.
>>
>>1769157
So kinda like Hogs of War, but real time?

>>1769237
Eh, it's okay. Sacrifice still counts as strategy, so that one probably does too.
>>
>>1769242
>Hogs of War
I think it's rather action, there are minimal tactical/strategies elements. As remotely as possible It can be compared to Republic Commando.
>>
>>1769269
Hah... Yeah, that's stretching the definition as badly as OP's butthole.
spiderfag is that you?
>>
>>1763319
>>1763980
There's an unofficial patch here:
https://github.com/UnknownException/SubTitans
>>
File: swine-1673976788684.jpg (172 KB, 1024x1024)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Speaking of pigs and strategy games. Anyone remembers S.W.I.N.E?
>>
>>1769539
I remember when the box of this game was on the shelf of every CD store. I've never played this.
>>
>>1769586
Same. And then because of shitty sales, the ugly Magyarorszag game was shilled as a "free game" in every computer game magazine in Central/Eastern Europe.
>>
Must be mentioned in every obscure games thread
>>
>>1769767
And I kinda want to give this an honourable mention because I had some good fun with it and it had a nice soundtrack, even if it was more of a shooter than anything.
>>
File: Uprising 2.jpg (234 KB, 616x353)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>1769772
Forgot pic.
>>
I bet all but 2-5 of these are all shit though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.