[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: David-Foster-Wallace.jpg (75 KB, 465x465)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
the only "natural" skill i have ever really had was reading. after that, would be writing. i could write for hours upon hours, especially when typing. it would be: 1. easy. 2. relaxing. 3. not stressful. 4. low maintenance. i plan on getting gud at it and getting paid for my services online, until i can break free and somehow manage to turn my only true skill (as of now) into a bigger money maker. then i could focus on what i truly love, which is computers. i do realize im still mediocre at best, and below average at worst, but i truly believe that i wouldn't mind doing this forever. i can (and honestly want to) yap for ages. and i also realize that its over saturated, and there are tons of people better than me at this. but that doesnt deter me from enjoying it so much. once i get competent enough and develop a clear, snappy, """recognizable""" style of writing, ill utilize it everywhere, and move onto the next thing. so, should i go all out for the next 3-5 years on improving and honing my style so that i can wagecuck doing something that doesn't make me want to kill myself? what do?
>>
bump
>>
>>31101890
I don't believe you are even remotely good at writing, just based off how you wrote this post.
>>
>>31104753
i mentioned that within my post. i also mentioned that i still enjoy it and want to improve
>>
>>31104762
Best way to improve your writing is to read your favorite authors, and focus specifically on what it is about their writing that makes them your favorite authors.
>>
>>31101890
you can then go to open mic maybe at a local bar or in the city. you can also write complex sentences and spit them as lytrics.
>>
>>31104780
how do i avoid sounding too much like any one of them? do i just read different authors and free write, and then my "unique" style will emerge? i think ill always sound like someone, but reaching towards my "own" style and maxxing it out sounds very exciting.
>>
>>31104800
If you have a personality, then it won't be a problem at all.

If you're boring and have no substance, then yeah it'll just sound like you're emulating someone else.
>>
>>31104821
okay, now what if my own personality sounds like im emulating someone else?
>>
>>31104835
I don't fucking know dude, get a new personality?

That's a pretty niche problem to have, if YOUR personality sounds like someone else. You'd probably have to have like BPD or something for that to be the case.
>>
>>31104851
Will keep this in mind
>>
>>31101890
you still need to pay the bills and be a human. its a great pasttime.
>>
Jesus, I wish I had the fucking confidence in my own writing abilities to believe people would be willing to pay me for the shit.
>>
>>31101890
OP, you must be retarded if you think becoming a successful writer would be easier and better than working in tech...
>>
>>31106625
easier, no. better, probably not.
>>
>>31101890
Do that OP
>>
>>31107128
perhaps i will. what do you specifically recommend i do?
>>
>>31101890
writing is a gift. after i got heavily dosed on antipsychs, i spent a day and could hardly write a page i think
>>
>>31108139
it seems i can't let it go to waste then
>>
>>31104762
you're """writing""" is so bad Even a 100 level (community college) class would improve it (parenthetical)
>>
>>31109773
>lots of room for growth
thats what makes it fun
>>
>>31106618
finding out im currently painfully mediocre only makes me wonder how great i could become
>>
>>31104790
rap and limericks are gay
>>
>>31106574
>be human
genuinely, how

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.