[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / out / po / pol / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Subject
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.

06/21/15It's now possible to use the legacy text CAPTCHA in the Quick Reply window. You can find the new option inside the [Settings] menu under "Quotes & Replying."
04/14/15Janitor acceptance e-mails are being sent; check your Spam folder if you applied.
02/28/15Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~48 hours.
[Hide] [Show All]


[Catalog] [Archive]

File: RMS.png (293 KB, 450x399)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
The /g/ Wiki:
http://wiki.installgentoo.com/

/g/ is for the discussion of technology and related topics.
/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

For tech support/issues with computers:
https://startpage.com/ or https://duckduckgo.com (i.e., fucking google it)
https://stackexchange.com/
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

You can also search the catalog for a specific term by using:
https://boards.4chan.org/g/searchword

Always check the catalog before creating a thread:

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.

File: dwight-question[1].png (567 KB, 1012x749)
567 KB
567 KB PNG
What the fuck, why is there no /sqt/? Edition

Post your questions here that:
- Don't deserve its own thread
- You're too lazy to do a lot of research
- You should probably feel bad about asking (we don't judge[yes we do])

Take 5 seconds to google if it's really simple

Go.
189 replies and 15 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044441
I messed up with the settings and it fixed itself somehow.. I'm not ever touching anything else of this again now.
>>
>>50044155
Please help me answer to my dubs.

>>50044113
Wedding photography is stressful, but you do make quite the big buck
>>
File: 1.jpg (24 KB, 680x680)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
> Anon, any idea how to do X?
> Sure, try this
> I don't want to do it that way
> Well you could try this
> That's too simple anon, what is some software I could use that's not super expensive?
> Well, you could use software Y
> I said I don't want to do it that way

WHY DID YOU ASK?????
>>
>>50044567
so now my to-do list is

-autoboot sddm
-fix steam (X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter))
-fix kde forgetting display options
-fix sddm using wrong display options

Most of these I already know how, but can anyone help me with the steam problem?
>>
My old graphicscard broke today so i need a new one. I want a good mid price range card so should i buy a gtx 960 or a r9 380?

File: nowin.png (103 KB, 600x600)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
There is no reason to use the Windows operating system in 2015. If your employer is forcing you to use proprietary software, you should seek an alternative or find a new job; they are oppressing your individual freedoms.

>Inferior default filesystem
NTFS is objectively garbage. NTFS relies on an MFT (Along with a copy of it) to store ALL your file metadata for the entire disk, so if these structures get corrupted then your data is top tier fucked. There are more reasons why NTFS is crap, but if that alone isn't enough to deter you from using NTFS, then you're an idiot.
>Fisher-Price UI
Metro. Enough said.
>NSA kernel backdoors
Proven by the Snowden documents.
>Botnet elements (other)
Telemetry, phoning home to M$

Face it, Windows is nothing but proprietary malware.

Further reading:
http://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
2 replies and 1 image omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044064
Until I can play play all my video games natively on Linux, I will sadly still have to dual-boot Windows...
>>
>>50044064
Why choose one OS only, i have to use windows at work (and i don't like it) and when i am at home i use GNU/Linux to do everything

I wish all the software that i have to use in windows could run flawlessly on GNU/Linux but in the meantime, i have to work
>>
>>50044064
What about gamers
>>
>>50044064
>There is no reason to use the Windows operating system in 2015.
A radical standpoint, I look forward to listening to a smart /g/ member-
>proprietary software
Oh jeez. Just another autist.
>skim post
>muh filesystem is his first and foremost point
>trying to appeal to nonexistant audience of people who've suffered a corrupt filesystem
>>
>>50044597
>trying to appeal to nonexistant audience of people who've suffered a corrupt filesystem
Good thing every Windows installation I've ever had has always ended in a corrupt filesystem, eh? CHKDSK does nothing.

File: 2461267412356.png (636 KB, 1897x883)
636 KB
636 KB PNG
Why isn't fun allowed here anymore?
1 reply omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: 1392348731133.jpg (110 KB, 403x1000)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>50043049
Kek
>>
>>50043049
>Why isn't fun allowed here anymore?
There was never any fun allowed here in the first place.
>>
File: 1441010504096.jpg (322 KB, 806x1200)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>50043049
because many fucking anime shills from /a/ don't get their place
>>
Too much reddit.
The same shit gets posted over and over again because of these shits, and everyone gets tired of everything.
>>
Because nivida and or AMD are too busy getting BTFO and being put on SUICIDE WATCH

File: 2015-09-01 18.11.19.jpg (1.99 MB, 1936x2592)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
Some days ago I buy a WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD and today came. Pic related HDD

Is this a legit WD drive?

Seller was saying it's a WD2003FZEX OEM drive, but I've investigated a lot and i can't say yes or no

What do you think, /g/?
7 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044287
No WD logo anywhere, obviously fake shit. Its not even branded.
>>
what does smartctl say?
>>
>>50044428
https://dawfreak.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/western-digital-caviar-black-2tb-review/

Do your tests match up with the one in the review?
>>
>>50044568
I only make one with 1GiB, i'll do some more
>>
>>50044287
It's not a legit WD m8. Sorry to break it to you.

a desktop thread is fine too
131 replies and 47 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044541
>>50044591
>>>/global/rules/2
>>
>>50044479
Thanks man
The style reminds me of this but I can't confirm if it's the same artist
>>
>>50044574
Actually, posting traps rather than loli would be gay.
>>
>>50044607
Because it makes normies like you mad.
>>
File: 1438545205791.jpg (14 KB, 208x240)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>50044636

File: 1439416091401.jpg (1.21 MB, 2400x1600)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>people don't change to w10 because botnet telemetry
>botnet features added to w7-8
Clever guys
18 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50042457
what the fuck is that image
>>
>>50044494
Filthy Frank's new persona. He has gone full circle insane.
>>
File: UMARU.webm (2.81 MB, 320x320)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>50044494
Just regular melonpan
>>
>>50042457

This person exists.
>>
>>50042644
>thinking there's a difference between a "tv" and a monitor
A TV monitor is literally just a monitor with a TV tuner in it.

File: 1430406083264.jpg (34 KB, 499x499)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>tfw running Windows 10 while having nothing to hide
11 replies and 3 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044295
exactly, so back to reddit with you where you can circlejerk with all your "such a nerd xD" friends, they will happily join you as you go for a swim in the botnet latrine
>>
>>50044157
>tfw too dumb to know that it doesn't matter what he thinks is nothing to hide
>>
>>50044207
Well that's true, I have nothing important to say.
>>
You come to a known antijew website. You honestly think you arent being watched?
>>
File: summer.jpg (57 KB, 960x886)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>50044295
summer is just a myth. you get idiots all year round.

File: ptg.png (85 KB, 500x500)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
Old thread: >>50025832

Not sure what private trackers are all about?

Check out the wiki and update it yourself if you want more instead of complaining like a fucking faggot. https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Private_trackers

How to get into private trackers (and survive): http://pastebin.com/ecGRiQhk

What.CD Interview Notes: http://pastebin.com/Wgz6T7ta
https://www.whatinterviewprep.com/
Interview questions (they're different every time):
http://pastebin.com/T2MRDJEe

Use >>>/g/ptg as a link to find the /ptg/ thread.


Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
168 replies and 35 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044453
But it's open by interview to redditors only.
>>
>>50044590
No, closed. Only recruitment threads from other private trackers.
>>
>>50044540
>Why do ledditors desperately try to advertise their shitty site and tracker here?

Because I'm laughing at the fact that we claim to be superior to redditors yet reddit has a sizable private tracker with invite forums that get them into top private trackers and 4chan does not.
>>
>>50044590
No it isn't, interviews are closed because they're over the user limit. The only way to get in is through another tracker or an invite from their TM class.
>>
How the fuck do I get into some vidya trackers? I had a bcg account like a week before they went down the last time.

Post your GPU history.

>GTX 460
>HD 7750
>R9 280

Waiting for Pic Related
23 replies and 7 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
First build was just a few months ago. I got a GTX 960

Runs everything fine, works great.
>>
>>50044522
except async compute
>>
Voodoo2
9800 Pro
8600GTS
GTX 960
>>
>Geforce 9300GS
>Geforce 210
>GTX 550Ti
>HD 7950
>>
>>50044009
ebin may-may bro

File: googlelogo.webm (386 KB, 402x148)
386 KB
386 KB WEBM
What the fuck is this shit?
185 replies and 35 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044587
>temporary internet files
i don't know what your point is anon
unless filename is related in which case carry on
>>
>>50044504
still not that great, imo
But better than the "pretty-colors" shit they have now. iPhones now look more feminine than most boxes of pads and tampons do
>>
>>50043620
That subliminal "Google" is nice.
>>
I wish I could get away with this level of laziness and blandness in 3D modeling.
>>
>>50044641
POLICE!
ARREST THAT ANON!
NAB HIM!
GRAB HIM!

File: hc.png (11 KB, 369x214)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
What's your favorite free gif maker, /g/?
>>
ffmpeg or gimp

File: tablets.jpg (430 KB, 2455x2052)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
Sup /g/,

I'm looking to buy my first tablet.
As for the use-case, I'm planning to do web-browsing, watching movies (including anime) and maybe emulate PSP (PPSSPP) but that's not as important as the other two.

So do you think that an ipad (mini or air?) would be best suited for this?
Or something different like a Sony Z3 Compact Tablet, or even a Microsoft Surface?
2 replies omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50043144
Just get a cheap pos because you will stop using it if you already have a phone and a computer
>>
>>50043404
Why do you think so? Yes, I have a phone/computer, but I'd like to use the tablet just for the time after work on the couch, as it's just not comfy enough on the chair in front of the pc.
>>
>>50043593
hook computer up to tv, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, profit?
>>
>>50044342
This.

Snugglin' up with muh comfy tablet on the ol sofa with a hearty fire going and some warm cocoa is a meme. You have to either hold the tablet the whole time or have some goofy stand that just places it out of reach anyways.
>>
I've been all over, so strongly consider my advice when I say this.

Get an iPad Air 2. Just do it. There isn't a better tablet in existence, and certainly not for $500-600.

File: photo.png (59 KB, 1575x1575)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
I'm sure most of you think new google logo looks like shit.
So instead of shitposting lets try to redesign that G and send our new logo to google.
25 replies and 9 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
File: shot0004.png (26 KB, 402x148)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>
>>50044246
10/10
>>
>>50044579

just google my shit up
>>
GOOGLE IS FUCKING SKYNET

ITS TAKING OVER EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFEpeMwgHk&feature=youtu.be

>>50044572
Google shill detected, Fucking off back to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>50044417
>using the duckduckgo botnet
if you're into botnets, you might as well use jewgle

>>50044481
>le fight club immitation series meme

File: fishon!.gif (103 KB, 450x527)
103 KB
103 KB GIF
Unity doesn't suck
60 replies and 3 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>50044334
Then why don't you hang on /v/ the windows board instead of being an annoyance on /g/ the Stallman board?
>>
Arch is a meme distro for people who have too much free time and no work to do.
>>
Arch is stable
>>
>>50044505
He thinks "commie" is a bad thing; he clearly belongs on /pol/
>>
>>50044461
That's not an unpopular opinion, its the truth.
>>50044596
All Americans think communism is evil because its been rammed down their throat and the communist party is illegal.
The US should just allow the communists to run like in Canada, it means they're allowed to be the joke party that nobody votes for.


[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.