[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: discord.original.jpg (19 KB, 800x800)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Who fucking likes this shit? This app is fucking garbage. How the fuck did it even become popular? Why are all these fucking companies using it? It's fucking shit. What the fuck? God damn.
>>
>How the fuck did it even become popular?
Because the de facto standard before it was Skype, a Microsoft product of typical quality, and gaymers are retards who need a braindead centralized service that does everything at once.
>>
It's for people that have friends.
>>
>>100198523
>Join server
>Try to break through the already established social circles
>Start interacting wtih a few friends for a while
>People get busy and nothing happens
>People stop DM'ing you
>Repeat
Why have friends when what I want is online interaction?
>>
>>100198371
>How the fuck did it even become popular

It's free. Now anything you want to do or download you gotta join some niggers discord server.
>>
we would use IRC but it doesn't work well on your phone
>>
>>100198371
qtox and team speak 5 beta or you're a retard
>>
>>100198371
>Corporate support of internal chat services for things like games took a sharp nosedive with increasing policing for "toxicity" that reached over into public shit outside of the game, so either no one could communicate because the VoIP and text chat was shit or they were too timid to do it during this 1984 hell.
>Games start including matchmaking services which isolate the community from the community, because no one views anyone they were matched with as being part of their ingroup
>Corporations also generally start clawing away control of what they are providing away from the community, including any way to support a community like dedicated servers
Discord was free and not that difficult to set up, it has simply became more cancerous because it offers the basic toolset to parasitize anything with a cancerous Discord community in an age where nothing can have a community that could reject them.
>>
>>100198371
I am pedophile tranny. I love Discord and KDE.
>>
>>100198371
I was there when it happened.
the discord devs just sent out invite codes to a lot of streamers on twitch which had enough viewers.
and those streamers just advertised it to their child audience.
that's how it happened.
>>
>>100198371
The creators applied basic psychology in the design.
- Rename root level channels as "servers" so people can "run / own their own servers"
- Make things colorful for the ADHD. Worked in PC hardware, adding RGB LED's taking advantage of nutritional deficiencies.
- Give people a way to "level up" their server and their account like a game. Gamification. Pay to "Boost" a server for marginal increases in file size limits.
- Integrate gifs and other funny meme like content. A step up from forums that had emoji packs.
- Massive marketing campaigns in gaming communities, then in social media communities
- Market the client to investors as saving everyone's text and voice-to-text transcription data forever. An additive goldmine above and beyond what social media could gather. Learn what everyone is talking about publicly and privately.

Once enough people are on the platform they would not dare move regardless of competing tech, as their friends are not on the other tech. Same as the migration from MySpace to Facebook. a.k.a. lessons learned, do what works.
>>
>>100198371
Commie trannies like it

THEY WILL NEVER BE A WOMAN. THEY HAVE NO WOMBS. THEY HAVE NO OVARIES. THEY'RE CONFUSED HOMOSEXUALS
>>
Casuals I understand: it was the new Xfire for gamers, the new AIM/Yahoo!/MSN for normals.

Who I don't get are the open source nerds. We've gone from IRC, an open standard where anyone can write a client (and everyone has their favourite), to...Discord. Where Discord is the only client, and it's adware.

It's time to ditch Discord and move to Matrix, maybe?
>>
File: 20240415_092641.jpg (112 KB, 1280x2020)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>100198371
>Who fucking likes this shit?
No one. It's just that the alternatives are even worse somehow.
>>
>>100198371
Defacto standard until freetards understand that no one wants to align their own matrix polarity fabrication system only to end up with a UI that looks like it was made for Windows 3.1
>>
File: IMG_8030.png (43 KB, 255x238)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>100198371
You're obsessed, faggot. Go back to >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>100205663
>It's time to ditch Discord and move to Matrix, maybe?
Like the idea but few would even try it, much less move to it because
>>100203137
>>
>>100198626
Sounds like you are a worthless consoomer that creates nothing and brings nothing to the world, quite literally filler NPC tier
>>
>>100198626
anon you are not supposed to have discussion in 100+ people servers, those are for memes and shitposting only
>>
As the popularity of a service with a network effect increases, the amount of value that an additional user must derive purely from the quality of the service approaches zero.
>>
>>100205891
You sound like just the kinds of faggots who use Discord.
>>
>>100199210
There are apps for that.
>>
>>100205663
>It's time to ditch Discord and move to Matrix, maybe?
this but xmpp
>>
>>100198371
I'm a zoomer and my online friends only use it to troll retarded incels. It's a waste of time, I'm considering ditching them.
It's also been steadily going downhill since it was made. It really hates it's users.
>>
>>100198371
It just werks
>>
I made a discord account in 2016 and I've never sent a message. I legit don't know how to use it
>>
>>100198371
The bloat came later, before its was a fairly simple chat platform. Then the trannies and pedos took over.
>>
>>100198626

>what I want
There’s your problem, champ. It’s not all about you. It’s about the people AROUND you. Be a good guy for the people around you. If you want a friend, you have to be one. When people go quiet, make some new friends while keeping the door open for old ones. If you notice friends meeting because of you and hanging around each other, that’s an excellent sign that you’re doing a good job.
>>
File: IMG_1873.png (131 KB, 600x500)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>100198371
>This app is fucking garbage
not really. it's pretty alright. though the microtransactions are getting very repetitive
>>
>>100207133
>Then the trannies and pedos took over.
I thought it was always like that and the devs are the same way.
>>
>>100205915
then where are the -100 people servers bozo
>>
>>100208186
you ones you get into because of your friends you made through video games and real life events, dork
>>
>>100207085
>try to login mine
>2015/12
Holy fuck
>>
File: reddit.png (27 KB, 300x142)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>100207245
pottery
>>
>>100198523
>It's for people that have friends.
You means those fake internet friends?
>>
>>100198523
>It's for trannies like me.
>>
>open Discord
>beep beep beep
>dont know where the fuck all the sounds are coming from
>close discord

i think im too old for this shit
>>
>>100211261
>IRC
come home old, white man.
>>
It just werks and cross compatible with everything.

How come nobody had invented a cross-compatible web based chat/talk client before?
>>
>>100211467
Its called Telegram
>>
>>100211575

>requires phone number

no thanks.

Hell, back then you could use Discord without signing up at all.
>>
>>100212414
Hello newfag, cool spacing.
Discord now requires a phone number if they decide your account isn't advertiser friendly enough (easy to de-anonymize)
>>
>>100198371
People are too lazy to self-host mumble or rocket chat.
https://www.rocket.chat/install
>>
>>100198626
it's because you missed the crucial part of being groomed by a troon or a glownigger, maybe because you were too autistic
maybe discord is not for you
>>
revolt.chat
>>
>>100205663
Matrix is already the standard for all serious open source projects. The open source projects that use discord are 100% made by trannies and not worth interacting with anyway.
>>
File: mattermost dark theme.jpg (84 KB, 1024x598)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>100205663
I really want to jump to Matrix but the clients suck. Element is weird for communities and their implementation of spaces is baffling. JUST COPY DISCORD AND MATTERMOST (also open source) FUCKERS.
https://mattermost.com/
>>
File: glowmore.png (267 KB, 669x720)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>100198371
>Who fucking likes this shit?
The espionage industrial complex
>>
>>100198389
Pretty much this.
>Skype is shit, absolute garbage, everyone hates it to death but there are no alternatives
>suddenly Discord
>everyone moves to it and it has enough features to not be a disappointment so that's why it's still used
Your only hope to see a mass exodus to a better platform is if it dies to internal drama or triggers twitter too hard.
>>
>>100198626
>>100210691
>>100211235
tell me you have no friends without telling me you have no friends

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.