[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: channels4_profile.jpg (52 KB, 900x900)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Is Risc-V going to have a major impact on the semiconductor industry, particularly in mobile phones?
>>
>>100199313
It would be nice.
>>
>>100199313
>Is Risc-V going to have a major impact on the semiconductor industry
It already has.
>particularly in mobile phones?
Maybe, hard to say. Mostly it's going to come down to ARM's licensing policies, whether companies without ARM architecture licenses want to start developing their own processors, and whether companies with architecture licenses want to sell their processor designs to anyone else.
>>
TWO MORE WEEKS!
>>
>>100199724
what happens in 14 days?
>>
File: 1712491579805570.png (338 KB, 891x913)
338 KB
338 KB PNG
I have read a lot about this topic, but I am also extremely retarded. Can someone explain to me why these aren't being used already? Isn't ARM licensing expensive? Is 86x proprietary? Does Intel and AMD pay some sort of licensing for 86x? What is technologically stopping Risc-v from. Being used in.... really any fucking device in the market? Will Linux and/or Windows run on this shit?
>>
cool logo
>>
>>100199898
you still need to invest in developing all the shit ARM offers off the shelf and at that point its cheaper and faster just to pay the license costs. Only big corps like apple can afford it and they keep their stuff closed like intended. But even they aren't willing to invest in a semi ARM competitor but just use it where simply stuff can be customized and replaced to reduce license costs.
tldr its too barebones
>>
just a /g/ meme. Nobody outside of fly by night chinese startups use it. Spec suffers from extension hell.
>>
>>100200124
this is your brain on cuck licenses
>>
>>100199898
>Isn't ARM licensing expensive?
Cheaper than x86 licensing.
>Is 86x proprietary?
Yes, owned by Intel.
>Does Intel and AMD pay some sort of licensing for 86x?
Anyone except Intel does.
>What is technologically stopping Risc-v from. Being used in.... really any fucking device in the market?
Infrastructure was built on x86. Only reason ARM is in the running is because with the advent of smartphones they won the bid (being that they had such a cheap licensing fee compared to x86 it was cheaper to learn to make stuff for ARM than it was to somehow figure out how to rig the geriatric x86 to work in smartphones and such)
>Will Linux and/or Windows run on this shit?
Linux has maybe a few versions that run on it, afaik Windows doesn't. It's in the very early stages of the CPU upset. It will come in 5-10 years.
>>
File: 1712389896586997.png (26 KB, 370x320)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>100200194
Based. Thanks anon
>>
>>100200194
I wish I shared your optimism.
>>
>>100200194
>Does Intel and AMD pay some sort of licensing for 86x?
>Anyone except Intel does
lmao, look at the Intel golem
Nice try, shill, but x86_64 is an AMD IP, not Intel.
AMD and Intel don't pay each other royalties, they have an agreement.
>inb4 b...but I meant x86, not x86_64
Yeah sure, you meant the arch nobody uses anymore.
>>
>>100199313
yes but not mobile phones
>>
>>100200194
>Yes, owned by Intel.
it's worse than that. to license x86-64 you need permission from intel for the x86 parts and from AMD for the x64 parts
>>
Unlikely (as a Mercedes-Benz S-Class owner).
>>
>>100199898
The problem is performance. RISC-V is just a specification, you still have to design the actual CPU, and you're not going to beat Arm, Apple, AMD or Intel on performance without many years of work from competent CPU designers.
The level of investment needed to create a RISC-V CPU suitable for use in something like a mobile phone is... probably not beyond the Chinese government's ability, but I'm not sure they have the will. They have more important stuff to fund.
>>
>>100199313
>particularly in mobile phones
every replaceable part will have cheapest riscv core for pki authentication with main arm board. riscv is worse than arm in every way besides price and it will only matter in application where you can sacrifice performance to save couple cents
>>
>>100199313
Yes. But mostly in server/datacenters usage and other niche-uses. Biggest problem hindering it is that the entire ecosystem is still in early stages. Jim Keller is working on it though so I guess we just need to wait to see what he does, I believe in him when he said that it'll take 5-10 years for it to be prevalent in computing hardware solutions.
>>
>>100201012
risc v is irrelevant for server application
>>
>>100200959
There is nothing more important than semiconductors
>>
>>100199313
No and no. RISC-V is a reasonable substitute for the 8051. ARM, meanwhile, is continuously charging ahead, upgrading and making the libraries, tools, documentation and other things that RSC-V is still missing.

>>100199624
>It already has.
Yet no examples provided, got it.
>Maybe, hard to say.
Credibility: lost.

>>100199851
Then >>100199724 reappears.
>>
itt: ARM and x86 apologists, for some reason.
>>
CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT
>>
>>100202981
Semiconductor manufacturing, sure. Semiconductor design, ehhh...
>>
>>100203735
>for some reason.
The reason being those are the only two CPUs in actual use maybe?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.