[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Standard-safety-razor.jpg (79 KB, 2000x1361)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Is this actually better than catridge razors or is it just some hipster bullshit?
>>
it's the same except a blade replacement is 4 cents instead of 4 dollars

guess it's up to you to decide if "saving 99/100 of the the price" is hipster bullshit
>>
i just use an electric one
>>
>>31112090
They dull quickly but give a smooth shave. Many use it after running their face over with a disposable.
Personally, I prefer a double bladed shavette for exchangeable razor blades.
>>
File: basic_blades.png (1.35 MB, 1854x1129)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
it is absolutely, 100% hipster bullshit. the shave isn't nearly as close as the ones with multiple blades. don't get the brand name shit like gillette either, which cost way too much for what they are. I've tried dollarshaveclub too which was okay because the cost was much lower. now I just use pic rel and can't tell the difference from the brand name
>>
>>31112090
You get a similar shave but it takes a few more passes. The real advantage is being able to relather between blade passes, with a multi-blade razor that 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th) blade are scraping over unlathered face.
I prefer the Schick injector myself, but also have a gillette and it's fine.
>>
File: file.png (1.2 MB, 1250x2321)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>31112090
step aside peasants
>>
>>31112261
>>31112132
Beardlets
>>31112090
It’s better.
>>
>>31112090
If your area has a Dollar General store, I know you can get a cheap double edge shaver and blade pack to try it. That's how I started.
I think its definitely a better shave, and cheaper too. You just have to learn a little bit of technique.
>>
>>31112090
I'm a woman, I bought a straight razor for my legs, to save money but you really have to take your time or you cut yourself all up. Is this safer? I like feeling like a cowgirl in the wild west but it hurts.
>>
>>31112090
Old fag here
Been using them since the Gillette thing happened.

WAY better, I so fucking happy I changed.
A better shave, cleaner shave, less rash, way fucking cheaper.
>>
>>31112302
What are they called?
>>
>>31112312
Double edged blades.
>>31112302
What, Troon shit?
>>
>>31112090
I tried it for about six months to save money. Completely awful experience, waste of time and money, took forever to shave every day and I got worse results every time: either not close enough, or close but all kinds of irritation. Yes, it's all about technique, and I did learn to shave without cutting myself... so maybe it's all my own fault and I'm a useless fucking idiot and you could have better results. I don't know. I went back to a multiblade disposable, shaves are closer, irritation gone.
>>
>>31112331
Thanks and

>>31112298
Did you mean troon for this? I am female, not a transwoman. I don't like them for the most part either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFJlpOjXf9s
>>
I prefer safety razors, because with the right technique you can get really close shaves as well, like with the cartridges. Overall it's also a more fun experience, so personally I'd go for the razor.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (156 KB, 1280x1280)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>31112090
for me, its pic related. does the job a million times better than anything else on the market. if my beard gets too thick, i trim it down first with a trimmer and then use the razor. 1 razor lasts me about 5 times before its too dull.
>>
>>31112298
Have you tried different blade brands? If you're cutting yourself a lot, you might be using a blade that just isn't right for you.
>>
>>31112391
>straight razor
what did the troon mean by this?
>>
>>31112298
a safety razor is definitely safer than a straight razor
i think they are much better and less wasteful than cartridge razors too
>>
i just trim my facial hair.
>>
File: 20240403_180959.jpg (1.18 MB, 1360x2185)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>31112090
Yes, but buy from a good brand like Merkur (Germany) or Feather (Japan). Avoid trash like Vikings Blade picrel
>>
>>31112391

I used astra, I think. I could try different ones.

>>31112414
Yeah, I like the idea of not being wasteful. Maybe I'll try one the safety ones if they aren't expensive.
Not as cool as the straight razor ones but would probably leave my legs intact. That's important.
>>
>>31112400
>troon
I'm not a troon lol

It's the ones that cut throats. Actually, I might start carrying one with me for self-defense. Never thought of that before. It should be legal.
>>
>>31112090
They're cheaper. 5c per blade maybe and it works fine.
Fuck Gillette / Proctor and Gamble.
>>
>>31112342
The shaver matters, and some are better than others.
I use a cheap plastic wilkinson sword double edged safety razor and it works fine. Haven't cut myself with it.
>>
>>31112090
It's bullshit. I tried to "git good" with it for 6 years and I would always get nicks and cuts. I bought disposable cheapo razors from walmart on a trip for less than $1.5 each and I NEVER have gotten a cut since.
>>
>>31112272
is that a good razor for the gay community (of which I am part) ?
>>
>>31113333
I think it looks stylish. The packaging is super futuristic. And you can use it around your ass.
>>
>>31112379
>for me, its pic related. does the job a million times better than anything else on the market. if my beard gets too thick, i trim it down first with a trimmer and then use the razor. 1 razor lasts me about 5 times before its too dull.
Yeah this really is the answer, granted I guess I've never tried a straight razor before. I'll get around to it one day just for fun, but til then, kinda hard to beat these at <$1 a piece, especially when they're good for at least a couple shaves
>>
>>31112298
kek safety razors were invented for a reason lady
>>
it really depends on your skin and beard type.
i tried it and it was terrible, took me 40+ minutes and always ended up with multiple cuts, see>>31112342
i use picrel now, takes me 10 minutes , it shaves quite closely and don't get me cut. one razor lasts 7-8 shaves, it's quite cheap although not as safety razors
>>
>>31112090
Veryoldfag here. I grew up using one of these and never quite mastered the weight-and-balance needed, and drew blood almost every time. The lighter-weight and better balanced modern style almost never cuts me.

If you grew up with current razors you will have a learning curve mastering the heavier old style.
>>
>>31112090
I have one of these and I constantly find myself having to go over the same sections, which often leads to irritation. So much for giving you a smooth, close shave.
>>
>>31113532
Also forgot to add they cut me like a mf.
>>
>>31113095
Well Gillette also makes razor blades and some are pretty good, like permasharp and 7o'clock SP. Also much easier to find at a pharmacy
>>
>>31113312
Severe skill issue; I got the hang of it in a few months
>>
Double edge razors are very cheap but highly overrated. Back in the old days you'd have young men walking around every morning with little pieces of toilet paper on their faces to stop the bleeding. There's a reason most people switched to cartridge and disposable safety razors in the 70s/80s and haven't looked back.

Sure you don't have to buy the most expensive multiblade brand name monstrosity, and any razor with more than 2 blades is probably a gimmick. But they still sell single blade and twin blade razors that work perfectly fine and don't cut you up like the old school double edge razor.
>>
Handle - Merkur or King C. Gillete. Both use same head, but the latter uses a china-made handle which is heavy and slippery. More expensive ones can actually be worse due to gimmicky ineffective designs, so beware. For instance, the Henson AL13 handle is great, but the blade usually gets clogged up even midway first pass.

Razor - It's important. Feather is sharpest, but cuts in for whatever reason. Others will cut in for being too blunt or brittle. BIC Chrome Platinum (made in greece) is best I find, but even then there seems to be a quality control problem where ~25% are noticeably worse.

Technique - A perfect shave will require 4-5 passes. The final pass should be removing hair imperceptibly. Unlike cartridge razors, a gradual removal is required and not harmful, as clogging rather than bluntness is what is more likely to cause the razor burn. Going with the grain on the first pass is required, as it will get clogged but this will keep the razor at a safe distance from the skin. There is a risk of razor burn and cuts in each pass, especially on the neck, so stopping at 2-3 passes and accepting the remaining visible hair is the general compromise. A good lather and softened hair is crucial. Water isn't to 'open up the pores', but actually to reduce the tensile strength of the hair by ~50%. Cold water takes a few minutes to achieve this instead of a few seconds with hot water, but the skin remains firmer (more taut = good). Too much water also ruins the lather and clogs the razor, while only hot water can fully unclog the hair in the razor.

Shaving brush & cream - I use a simpson synthetic brush and italian shaving cream because it's delicate on the skin, but the cream-in-a-can gives a better shave. I think the main reason is you have to get the consistency of the lather right, and even then the canned cream seems more robust due to its ingredients. The main difference though is that you will have to spend an extra ~5 minutes if you don't use an instant lather.
>>
>>31112090
Yes, but I don't recommend it to scardy-cats or suicidal people. The temptation is real.
>>
File: 1686945798651358.jpg (82 KB, 758x1000)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>31113669
>>31113808
I have been using these for about a decade and I've never cut myself to the point where I had to do something about bleeding. The blade does not extend far enough for serious injuries. The worst you get is the occasional nick in hard to reach regions, like around the corner of your mouth. But you will get those with other types of razors as well.
>>
>>31113333
No, you just want a standard electric trimmer that looks like the one at your barber, which you ocassionally apply lubricating oil on the blade, and if you want to get fancy, get one that runs on battery with a good variety of shaving heads for like 30-50 bucks.

The electric space was unironically solved in the 20s, all innovation in the space since then has been
>how do we sell people a product that has more churn because it breaks more
and
>how do we sell people a cool looking product to appeal to their sense of novelty, even if it's less good at its job at trimming hair?

React accordingly and just get a good normal electric trimmer that'll last you a decade or two, avoid the new fancy bullshit which won't make it to new year's
>>
>>31112090
Started using one of these, never went back to disposable
It gives me a smoother shave, much more clean
Also, I don't get irritation
Blades are cheap, I change it every time, it's much more hygienic
>>
>>31112090
It's cheaper, it will give a closer shave, you won't have to buy shitty plastic cartridges, it looks cooler.
The only drawback it has is that it takes significantly longer to shave.
>>
>>31115512
I use a standard hair clippers with a guard for most of my trimming. And without thr guard if i clean shave the area.
I treat them like shit and rarely oil them, and they still last 6-7 years before they start losing effectiveness. Semi cheap Wahl clippers I think.
>>
My method is to use an electric clipper to get the hairs as short as possible, then I use a single blade like pic related over all of the flat parts of my face (neck, cheeks, sides of my jaw). The center of my face is far too bumpy to avoid cutting up my face, so I use a decent multi blade razor to finish off
>>
>>31112361
I would not think a female would not appreciate what is good in them. I think it is the clearance between the blade and base. It has greater capacity to be loaded with a higher density of thick hair and is easily swished clean to take on more. Smooth wise, yeah six blades is better but it is more effective to slap down six passes with a clean blade.
>>
File: 1709454776506572.jpg (3.47 MB, 4032x2624)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
>>31112090
Hipster bullshit. If you wanna go full hipster, you can also make your own shaving foam.

>>31112261
This, if you want non electric.
There are cheap safety razors our there, they're just expensive because of the "brand". 2 blades are enough, more are just a gimmick.

>>31112272
This is what I use and never looked back. Easy, smooth and fast, no foam needed, just do it.
The only drawbacks compared to other electrics is that debris fly everywhere while using it.
>>
>>31115856
>debris fly everywhere while using it.
could use it in the shower since its waterproof! do that for my pubes.
>Easy, smooth and fast, no foam needed.
will admit you still need an actual razor if you want to feel 100% clean shaven but if you are an occasional shaver who only shaves every couple of days to avoid looking too much like a sketch bag at work then this is top tier.
>>
File: file.png (957 KB, 1080x1350)
957 KB
957 KB PNG
Thots on the Henson AL13?
>>
>>31112379
had to use these in an emergency when I forgot to pack my regular piece for a trip and this was the only shit available at the nearest store.
i think niggers in supermax prisons have better razors than this.
>>
>>31116630
its optimal head geometry renders all the others obsolete
>>
cartridgefags that say it takes longer or doesn't get as close or cuts you all the time have literally no idea what they're talking about
>>
I use a double sided safety razor. I just picked up a random one from a thrift store one day. The bulk pack of blades I bought has lasted me years.

I've definitely found it more effective than disposables which, even when they're fresh, I have to go over a patch of skin multiple times. Whereas it's just a couple with my razor. Just one pass if it hasn't been long since I shaved. Another thing is that I can actually rinse it properly. Disposables clog like a bitch.

F btw. I use this for legs, pits, bikini.
>>
>>31112090
Cartridges don’t cut. I need to use traditional razors to cut my beard. With cartridges it takes too much time and gives me a weird feeling on my skin.
>>
>>31115669
>I treat them like shit and rarely oil them,
Don't need much, just once every few years or so. Does wonders for how efficiently it cuts hair, if you haven't done it in a while.
>>
>>31112090
It's a lot cheaper than cartridge over the long term but it has a high upfront cost.
>>
shaving is a meme
>>
It is better if people care for the environment, right? Idk maybe more steel but no plastic.
>>31117299
I am about eight months in. Beard bro
>>
>>31116638
we use those in supermax prisons
>t. nigger

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.