[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (82).jpg (53 KB, 500x300)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
So I'm basically a trust fund neet who's lived half his life in Asia (I'm caucasian) and is now in his mid 30s. Daddy's made some bad business decisions over the past decade so the family fortune is going bye bye. I've had my own decade+ of bad decisions which involved never getting a degree. Or having real work experience. Or going out to meet people. I get the feeling that unless I do something soon I'm going to get absolutely positively fucked. I'll fucking rope myself immediately if I have to move back home, I haven't lived in a Western country for 2 decades and I'm a sperg outside of Asia where I'm most comfortable.

But I can definitely leech off enough money for a university degree in south east Asia. 3 years and then at least I'll have some qualification to find some kind of job. I'll be starting some career in marketing or whatever at 40. Too stupid for IT or tech.

Or should I just keep cruising and not care anymore because it's too late? I have heart arrhythmia, don't sleep, twitch my eyelids constantly because of the stress and anxiety of what will happen when the money runs out. It's dark and lonely and I have no friends. All I want is a paycheck and some friends and to continue living on this side of the world.
>>
>>31114544
Well you can definitely never return. The west is a living hell, so if you return, you will not survive.
>>
File: 1676989784223744.gif (839 KB, 823x770)
839 KB
839 KB GIF
>>31114559
>The west is a living hell
>>
>>31114568
It is, objectively.
You will rope, tranny, anywhere in the world is hell for you.
>>
File: ragingchud.gif (73 KB, 570x537)
73 KB
73 KB GIF
>>31114573
>You will rope, tranny, anywhere in the world is hell for you.
>>
File: 010424meme50.jpg (577 KB, 1200x1200)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
>>31114626
Cope&rope, it's over 4 u
>>
>>31114559
>The west is a living hell
Wouldn't know, don't intend to find out. What can I do at this stage in my life to turn things around?
>>
>>31114544
are you Hiding In My Room?
>>
>>31114640
Eat well, be fit, dress well and socialize.
Be fun and friendly and honest. Other expats might hook you up with some easy job. Aim for bartender.
>>
>>31114640
>don't intend to find out.

Good. You are literally as good as dead here.
>>
>>31114544
What bad decisions did he make?
>>
>>31114689
have a failson loser, for starters
>>
>>31114742
Other than that. How do you fuck up millions of dollars is what I'm asking? Just curious.
>>
>>31114742
Bing bong !
>>
>>31114786
Happens more often than you think. people go in and out of that top % bracket all the time, it's not always that it's a static group. As for him specifically he had an early period of success in a developing market and it went to his head. Thought he was special, that everyone else was an unimaginative idiot, that his kids were brilliant and talented, that starting and quickly growing a profitable business is super duper easy because he could do it back then so obviously anyone could do it now, its just that everyone but him and his kids are fucking dumbass sheep wage slaves. typical boomer thinking.

Then his business started winding down slowly, calculating all the taxes he was dodging for years became a full time job for several people, and he looked to start and invest into a few different new ventures - all of which sounded amazing to him and all of which he knew absolutely fuck all about. pharmaceutical, manufacturing, home systems installations. he sunk his money into one after the other. none of it worked. him and my mom downsized their lives significantly over the last 15 years but they're just coping saying it's ok and they don't need luxuries.

Meanwhile the kids are all failson losers (I'm just the oldest who's seeing the coming shitstorm, the others will get hit eventually too) who can barely wipe their asses. We grew up hearing that business and entrepreneurship is the key to everything, and going to college to pursue a career or skill up is for SUCKAS. He's an old man in a changed world and his pride won't allow him to see that his kids have way less money, freedom, happiness and human connection than the average wagie and will inherit fuck all and have no idea what to do with any of it.

I'm just looking for a way to stay afloat.
>>
>>31115260
Lol, is he a literal boomer-brained boomer?
Have you done any entrepreneurship?
>>
>>31115282
>is he a literal boomer-brained boomer?
In the sense that he thinks nowadays people don't succeed purely because they don't take risks or grab opportunities. The concept that the barrier of entry is so much lower now that there is insane competition and anybody from any country can go online to source absolutely anything and costs are way higher for everything and all sorts of regulations exist that didn't back then - that stuff doesn't enter his head. He's literally the kind of guy who pays to takeover some new shiny tech firm because his best friend Jerry explained it to him and it sounds like a great deal - meanwhile he takes 10 minutes to type a simple email in Outlook because he uses a keyboard with hunt and peck two index finger typing. But of course he has it all figured out because he did so well back in the day so the investment is totally super duper sound. He also thinks that the younger generation in general are somewhat fucked, but simultaneously also that his own kids are doing alright.

>Have you done any entrepreneurship?
he never brought me or my siblings into whatever he was doing. i did start a side gig about 10 years ago but it's barely break even after all this time and i suck at running it. it did however teach me some marketing skills so the degree i'm considering is in digital marketing so I can at least bullshit about my experience a little bit and weasel my way into some marketing strategy position at some small company. maybe even go remote, who the fuck knows cos i've got no idea if I will even be alive next year. therapy's bullshit and I'm too much of a bitch to take meds.
>>
>>31115558
Was he in publishing in HK?

Meds usually don't do shit, except for amphetamine.
Howcome you have few contacts? Do you socialize with the locals, or purely expats?
>>
>>31115558
So you don't have a bit of money left for you in the trust to live off of? CD bonds? Maybe to live off of in Malaysia or something? Very cheap COL.

Idk, I never could believe that you could lose 10s of millions. This is a precarious position to be in. Maybe you can do well at finding what other small businesses need? Your dad beat a lot of his competition for some reasons right? Maybe consulting?
>>
>>31115952
>Was he in publishing in HK?
Nope.
>Howcome you have few contacts? Do you socialize with the locals, or purely expats?
With the funds drying up I had to move from East Asia (kinda awesome) to a cheaper country in south east Asia (not so awesome). I mean it's probably fun for party people but that's not me. I ended up just working on fitness, reading, vidya and my side gig 99% of the time (which ended up being a dud) and not really going out so much because I don't fit in with anyone here.

>>31116083
I wish it was 10s of millions. More like we'd get 2-3 grand a month for rent, food, etc. Everyone lives in different places so I'm not even that close to my siblings, I think they get more money. I don't get anything for 5-6 years because I'm in a low COL country and my side gig brings in a few hundred a month. I live in my girlfriend's place so I don't pay rent.

>>31116083
>Maybe consulting
I have one shitty side gig under my belt. And no work experience at companies or anything like that. Not that they would hire me here in Asia anyway since I have no formal education. Consulting won't work, at least not at this point.

>This is a precarious position to be in
Tell me about it. Two years ago he caught covid and ended up in the ICU for a month connected to tubes. Didn't tell anybody, the only way I found out was much later from my Mom. We were pretty close to losing him. If he would have left us anything it would most likely have been bound up in convoluted arrangements to evade tax (and none of us know anything about how to navigate that) or in obscure companies which all lose money and are located in fucking nowhere.

>Your dad beat a lot of his competition for some reasons right?
Sometimes when you're in an underdeveloped nation and you have connections and the timing is right things just come together. In his case he was in the right place at the right time with a changing government and a populace that needed things but suddenly had no way to get them
>>
>>31117668
cont
Those days you could make a killing trading or selling just about anything. It's a very different landscape today.

Anyway, my own gig will not make enough money. I have another few years left before his finances are in free fall (I help him run his numbers sometimes). Enough time to suck off a few grand a month to put towards some undergrad program. It's south east Asia so that's enough money. If I get started on applying right now there's a chance I can make it through. But I'm looking for advice on what to study. Marketing seems a good option since the strategic overview stuff is somewhat safe from AI, it's abstract enough that I can tie my own gig experience into it, and jobs look flexible enough that there's potential for remote work later but unlike most remote work stuff it's not rooted in tech which is good because I'm too dumb to code. But I'm open to suggestions here.
>>
>>31117704
I think I did too much assuming. I guess going back to school may be the best way out of all this. If you have a decent PC and you're slightly artistic, maybe try doing video editing for local businesses that need ads or something? You can use your phone to get footage.
>>
Also I don't feel bad about being a parasite in his final days because he's completely oblivious to all of this and doesn't want to listen. His kids are all depressed nervous undersocialized husks that have 0 marketable skills. I think the others just like me frequently find it all too hopeless and exhausting to do anything but lay in bed with the curtains closed and sleep for days. But yeah he doesn't see it, he thinks we're all having amazing lives. Earlier this year we were together and I told him I wish I didn't listen to outdated advice about careers and degrees being useless in my 20s because now I am le entrepreneur and work all the time but have no time or money, meanwhile all the wage slave normies I know have more freedom and better finances than I do. He went on a rant about how we had it so much better than everyone else (true, at that time) and how he doesn't regret taking all those family holidays. I nodded and went to bed for a few days because it was just too much. The next time he saw me he told me to get my blood pressure checked because it might be low, and that I needed to finish his Excel sheets.

So, yeah. I'm on my own and I'm determined to double down on being a blood sucking shitstain and leech whatever resources I can now to sustain myself later down the line.

Oh and by the way - I'm not an isolated case. I grew up around his business associates. Their families are even worse and feature multiple divorces and the kids getting into substances.
>>
>>31114568
>>31114626
alright lets get this guy out of here
>>
>>31114544
i think a western education is valued more
>>
>>31117839
Do you get along well with any of your siblings? Could you team up in any way?
>>
>>31114544
make sure you sleep with 18 year old freshman girls
>>
>>31121980
Fuck it, make it 15
>>
>>31122151
that's illegal
>>
File: IMG_9495.jpg (107 KB, 473x438)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>31114639
Cope and rope topkek
>>
>>31117668
>I live in my girlfriend's place so I don't pay rent.
Move along then.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.