[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have been a neet for a long time, because I can't get any job using my math degree, the best I every got was data entry. What should I do now?
>>
>>31123473
start working on a github portfolio of projects related to quantitative finance and apply for internships as a quantitative researcher
start with watching Hudson and Thames advanced pairs trading series and make an implementation of all the techniques
>>
>>31123473
"Would you like fries with that?"

Seriously, get a job. ANY job. Not because it will be your career, but just to get back into the world of work. It is MUCH easier to make career decisions if you're living a normal-ish life, following a regular schedule, being part of the working world and getting a small degree of self-respect back.
>>
>>31123473
Learn some basic SQL and python and go into Data Science
>>
like >>31127222 said you can easily become a "data scientist" just by learning python + the relevant libraries (pandas, numpy, matplotlib/seaborn, etc)
you already have data entry experience, this is the next step up
dont undersell yourself, you have a math degree and I assume you know basic statistics so once you learn basic python (which takes no time) just start applying to data science jobs
alternatively if you want something more mentally stimulating (and less of a meme than "data science") you could get actuarial certifications and work in insurance
they actually use some quite advanced statistics and its not nearly as boring as it sounds
>>
math
>>
>>31123473
Bullcrap. Mathematicians are rich.
>>
>>31133911

Only the top 10-20% of mathematicians. The rest are either pivoting to tech, data science (which is basically the housing market for tech industry), academia, finance, or fast food/warehouse gig workers.

And the high paying roles are only accessible via networking, spamming linkedin posts, or certmaxxing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.