[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>job hop minimum wage jobs my entire 20s
>pandemic hits and I get laid off
>can't find work anymore
>gf encourages me to use the time to finally get a degree
>go to welding school
>graduate in early 2022
>struggle to hold a job still
>only on contract work through a union
>current contract is going alright but I feel my foremen are annoyed at a 30 yo who is just starting out in the industry

Did I fuck myself? Is it too late to get my life in order at 30?
>>
>>31126737
Not too late for armed robbery, in fact I would say 30 is ideal!
>>
>>31126737
>alright but I feel my foremen are annoyed at a 30 yo who is just starting out in the industry
I think they're annoyed at your experience level period. Why would anyone give a shit about your age?
>>
>>31126737
They're probably upset you have a girlfriend. It's a known fact that most welders are closet homosexuals.
>>
>>31126753
my dad was actually in jail for most of my life because of that

>>31126761
I mean, obviously they'd be bothered by my experience level. But I feel like they value the 18 yo apprentice a lot more despite me doing double the work. Maybe that's all in my head but idk.
>>
>>31126737
>>31126921
It depends on the field, but even if people know you're inexperienced they still have a bias that means they expect older people to be more senior and experienced. That sometimes works for you, and sometimes against.
>>
>>31126921
so? work harder than them
you're in the labour market, so offer more labour than the next guy - help out, learn, ask for jobs, ask around for more work, build a rep
half of the work is turning up on time every time and the other half is not fucking it up
>>
>>31126737
Foreman going to be annoyed by all rookies the same amount
>>
>>31126737
How did a total loser like you managed to get a gf?
>>
>>31126737
>>current contract is going alright but I feel my foremen are annoyed at a 30 yo who is just starting out in the industry
When I first started welding as a physically fit 22 year old, they were still dickheads to me when I first started. Most of these guys are unhappy with their own lives and take it out on the world around them. They'll shit on you for being a snot-nosed kid, they'll shit on you for being an old geezer, they'll shit on you for being skinny, they'll shit on you for being fat, they'll shit on you for working too hard, they'll shit on you for being lazy, they'll shit on you for being dumb, they'll shit on you for being smart, they just love to complain and shit on people. I've seen all of this. There isn't a person in the world they won't complain about. Tradesmen are always bitching and complaining because they hate themselves and their lives. Which is why I suggest you go do something else, so you don't get trapped in the bubble of negativity.
>>
>>31127157
bitter incel
>>
>>31126921
Oh wow you're genetically gifted? Shut dude, good hunting.
I did a little time too, it was alright. Read lots of books.
>>
>>31127157
Lol jealous
>>
>>31126952
I do my best to do that, obviously. I am a good worker, I am punctual, although I do get sick more than I wish. But I need a job to show my worth and I have had trouble getting work quickly. There's often a 2-4 month period between contracts.

>>31127157
pure luck ngl

>>31127274
I am 30, where else could I pivot at this point? The jobs I did previously don't pay for shit anymore either and I could only survive them previously by living with my mom or 5 roommates.

I don't mind the negativity as long as I could be consistently employed.
>>
>>31126737
I'm 33 getting a cert in data analysis and ai and I doubt I'll get a job out of it so you are doing better than I am.
>>
>>31127157
If girls don't pay attention to you in your 20s and you work on yourself, they'll pay attention to you in your 30s.
>>
>>31126737
better late than never fuck what anyone else says
>>
I’m in the middle of getting a political science degree so you’re doing better than me. I fell for the “get a degree you’re interested in” meme
>>
>>31129624
I did too then I did it a game just to make sure I was retarded.
>>
>>31129651
>a game
again, not a game*
Did I mention that I'm retarded?
>>
>>
>>31126737
No you’re fine at least you don’t have a 4 year gap in your resume like me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.