[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: discord.original.jpg (19 KB, 800x800)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
> Convince me to/ not to delete my discord account

I've scheduled my account for deletion a few days ago to get away for the sake of my mental health but Its been pretty rough, Its the same, only now I don't talk to anyone and end up in places like this.

I've been having second thoughts over deleting my account and I don't feel like being in a cycle of hopping back into my account and re-scheduling deletion later anyways.
>>
How is discord be like?
>>
>>31128910
has its ups and downs, definitely good to practice any sort of human connection, but its also on the internet, plenty of bad human connection too...
>>
>>31128928
Eh. I opened an account and got a message to change my password and never fucked with it. These faggots on 4chan is enough for me. I just did the discord to communicate with my offspring when he was in another country. Sounds like it is a pain in your ass.
>>
>>31128901
Bro how do you people use discord. I've had it since it came out and I've only ever talked to real life friends on it
The way people talk about it is as if it's just an instant portal into the most insanely destructive predator chatrooms on earth. You literally have to FIND servers. I'm pretty sure I've only ever sent messages in servers either I created, or my one friend created. Are you just going to random eceleb twitter profiles and clicking random discord links?
>>
>>31128901
If you are who I think you are, I love you and I will miss you.
If not, someone else probably has this sort of sentiment towards you as well.
>>
>>31129062
Same here. I used to have a Discord solely to hang out in one (1) server with a group of IRL friends. Years later I drifted away from that group, so I closed my account because I had no reason to use it anymore.

I don't understand all these people on 4chan who talk about "meeting people on Discord" or "flirting with a girl on Discord", where the fuck are these people going to have social interactions with strangers on there?
>>
Discord is basically mostly just an extension of reddit, so its filled with the same people. Thats where you find the servers if you didn't use the disboard search. Every one I've been to kicked me out for refusing to use their pronouns and identify with mine. I just wanted to find some places to sing and make music with other creative people, y'know like the old days. There's tons of music servers where they only TALK about the music and then throw some commie bullshit in, spam it with gay stripper gifs. The admin of every metal server I know is a "they", and it makes me hate the music.
>>
>>31129062
mostly talk to people I play with and end up in some of their servers/ the servers related to the games
>>
>>31128901
>do good decision
>convince me not to go through with good decision
No
>>
>>31129139
Yeah I guess that's my problem. I don't socialize online. I never talk to randoms
>>
>>31129069
Why do you lie anon?
Some people never get any love
Some people don't deserve any
Why is it an habit with you Americans to gaslit others into thinking the world is a friendly place while wars happen in the rest of the continents
>>
>>31129123
>>31129062
Try smaller servers, I've peeped into a couple of those kinds of servers and the experience is atrocious.
>>
>>31129140
I did say convince me to/ not to, cases in favour of leaving are appreciated too
>>
>>31129152
I'm not American. And the person I'm talking of probably doesn't feel loved either.
>>
>>31129069
> If you are who I think you are, I love you and I will miss you.
prob not

> If not, someone else probably has this sort of sentiment towards you as well.
probably-shmrobably
>>
File: 1710554675367844.jpg (80 KB, 960x720)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>31128901
Important advice, you should not delete your discord account because you will lose all the rights over your data and messages and everything related to the account.

There is no account deletion on discord, it just deactivates the account and you can't access anymore; It changes your username and profile pic but all your data is still there.

Basically the delete account button is more like "Yes, I want to lose access to my account permanently and all my content uploaded to Discord, messages, media, etc will be property of Discord so they can use it for whatever they want"

Imagine discord gets hacked and you were so unlucky that some messages were leaked on the internet, you will not have any right to complain to discord.

So, do not delete your account, just throw it away with a secondary email (and phone number if necessary) that you also own. If you want to use Discord again (which I do not recommend) just create a new account.
>>
>>31128901
Delete it. Free yourself.
>>
>>31129191
Forgot abt that, I'm not too concerned but I might just set the pfp to the default and name if "Deleted Account#<smt>", any counter arguments fellow anons?
>>
>>31129191
Imagine thinking this isn't already exactly true for active discord accounts lmao
Don't put shit on the internet that you want to keep secret
>>
>>31129123
this guy gets it
think of the worst redditors, and the worst, younger r9kers
thats discord
>>
File: 1711941047985973.jpg (169 KB, 1139x1100)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>31129213
Yes, do that then, but do not lose access to your account. Nothing is going to be deleted if you choose to delete the account anyways.

>>31129217
>Don't put shit on the internet that you want to keep secret

True, but that is not the problem. The problem is discord spitting in the face of their users by showing them a delete account button when it doesn't actually delete the account.
>>
>>31129191
Wow that means they can also use your dead account as a puppet doesn't it? And does that data include the content of all the calls you've ever made through discord? I keep a lot of stuff on there, a private server for only me that I use to move things from computer to phone easily.
>>
File: 1702913266464063.jpg (536 KB, 1280x1439)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>31129242
>Wow that means they can also use your dead account as a puppet doesn't it

Yes, if they get into the AI industry they could use user messages to train models like Reddit giving unlimited access to Google so they can use user comments so Google can train their AI.
You will never know anyways, it is just matter of trust.

>And does that data include the content of all the calls you've ever made through discord?

AFAIK, no, that would be very problematic for them if they ever do that + there is millions of calls made on Discord everyday and the space they use are nowhere compared to normal text.

>Content you create. This includes any content that you upload to the service. For example, you may write messages or posts (including drafts), send voice messages, create custom emojis, or post other content that you create with features that we develop. You may also upload and share files through the services. This also includes your profile information and the information you provide when you create servers.

That is what the current privacy policy of discord claims, it obviously makes sense that they have to store all that information or it wouldn't make sense, but nothing sent on discord is encrypted (like Whatsapp for example) so they are totally free to use the content you uploaded for whatever they want

https://discord.com/privacy

>I keep a lot of stuff on there, a private server for only me that I use to move things from computer to phone easily.

Stop doing that. There is better tools to do the job like https://localsend.org/ (if you want to send single files) or https://syncthing.net if you want to keep your documents and files synchronized (For example, if I took a photo on my phone it gets on my computer lol)
>>
>>31129228
Fortunately that breaks EU law. Some yuro will have to get at this
>>
>>31129399
How is the EU valid?
>>
File: 1691489833659373.png (225 KB, 645x463)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>31129399
Do you think discord cares?

https://www.cnil.fr/en/discord-inc-fined-800-000-euros

They ignore every GDPR related tickets...

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/1abn6iw/discord_is_violating_a_gdpr_request_how_should_i/
>>
delete
>>
>>31128901
Don't delete it, just uninstall it. It's easier on you
>>
>>31128901
if this is you, please talk to me first before deleting it
>>
>>31132985
Yes, I am me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.