[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (29 KB, 207x345)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
What kind of hobbies do you have? Which are worth the cost? I made a list of some things and how much they cost locally for me
>>
>>31133422
That totally depends on your personal taste. I believe many things can be fun, just try one and move on if you don't like it.
>>
>>31133422
I like to play guitar sometimes. I tried the bass before guitar but couldn't find good tutorials. Guitar is much easier for beginners for that reason. May go back now that I have a decent grasp of the guitar and see if I can figure the bass out.

Also: how is weight training a hobby? Do you mean like getting serious about it? It's just exercise.
>>
>>31133503
yeah, weight training is hardly a hobby, but it's certainly not necessary. You can be very healthy and just do pushups and move around outside etc. There is no real need to hit the gym.
>>
File: trvthnvke.jpg (169 KB, 1280x1429)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>31133422
cranking it to lolis is practically free, ya know
>>
Guitar is an S tier hobby
>>
>>31133663
Yeh, it's necessary for me, but that's cause I have asthma (don't ask me why I don't know, but building muscle mass especially in the shoulders and chest helps reduce asthma issues).
>>
>>31133762
what else would you say is an S hobby? I might bump down tennis since it can be a little gay. Basketball is solid, but it's way too dominated by black people and the whites that join are usually wigger types
>>
File: 1200px-StarshipMario.png (1.33 MB, 1200x1200)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>31133422
Dude. You need to be naturally drawn to something for it to really be your thing, you can't really just pick something from a list and hope for the best. If you're actually passionate about something you'll dive into it no matter the cost. Since yknow, no hobby is really worth wasting your time on if it doesn't make you feel fulfilled on a deep level. You should have one central hobby that you devote all your free time to, and ideally it could branch off into other things. What type of guy to you want to be defined as? Photography guy? Golf guy? Musician guy? Sports guy? Just pick something that'll make you happy after religiously working on improving at it for 10 years and then get to it. Personally, my parents got me a cheap casio keyboard for my 14th birthday since I became obsessed with producing after watching genius deconstructed videos and now I just recently finished fully polishing op 25 no 1 by Chopin. Make a list of things you could visualize yourself being proud of being a beast at in 5ish years time, and then figure out your top 1 from that list and just stick with it. That's about it
>>
Photography and videography.

I'm not damn Chuck Norris.
>>
And photography can be expensive depending on what you're doing, but for the most part it ain't.
>>
>>31133422
What kind of autistic weirdo makes a spreadsheet to figure out how to have fun?
>>
>>31134129
What kind of OCD NT makes a statement about a spreadsheet.
>>
>>31134054
Honestly, the only thing I'm naturally drawn to is investing and working out. So far my time investing has been life changing and I probably will stick with it forever. Besides that I'm already /fit/, which leads me to sports. I just don't think I'm passionate about anything else besides general curiosity and doing it for a cardio session and socializing
>>
>>31134136
Gross. I hope I never meet you.
>>
>>31134136
Unless you want to step out of your comfort zone and do something artistic (which it sounds like u probably don't), in your case I would definitely go for rock climbing. About 75-80% of rock climbers are granola faggots with dreadlocks but the top 10% of them are some of the coolest people you'll meet. You'll get insanely physically fit and your forearms and hands will be immaculate, plus you can fully delve into the anatomy of the arms and upper body to optimize your performance and health. And also literally every single rock climber on Earth is white
>>
>>31134182
how do you think rock climbers compare with mma/boxing/bjj? Ideally I'd like to avoid somewhere with 75-80% granola faggots lol
>>
>>31133762
Really? I am guitar/keyboard/singer musician, and videographer, but seems like everyone is now and/or doesn't care because its not DJ/rapper. It doesn't make me any more social in fact probably less so because I spend more time on my music. I don't do it for them though I do it because its fun and I have dreams of writing good songs and going back to a time where it would've actually mattered to people and I'd be able to make at least some kind of living off it.
>>
>>31134241
Okay maybe 75-80% is a little exaggerated. You absolutely do not want to get into any form of hand to hand combat as a hobby unless you are a spic. To me I feel like the pros of rock climbing massive outweigh the cons, especially if you end up finding like-minded rock climbers which is very doable. And I obviously do not at all mean outdoor rock climbing like these speds are doing
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5cfe-csyqb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
>>
>>31133422
Reading, Vidya, D&D, Running.
>>
>>31134495
>>31134182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLaxJbWHZs

yeah, seems like fun. I'll try it tonight. I also actually do enjoy guitar/piano.
>You absolutely do not want to get into any form of hand to hand combat as a hobby unless you are a spic
Is it just too dominated by spics?
>>
>>31134495

Is learning to fight worth it? If you beat someone up, even out of self defense/protecting your date you can go to jail pretty easily, and they might have a knife anyway and no one wins a knife fight. If you're getting mugged best thing to do is comply or distract and run or Bobby Hill them.

I mean it looks impressive, builds disciprine and makes you intimidating but so would bulking up and you wouldn't really be good at fighting without the muscle anyway.
>>
>>31134583
Yeah, I agree recreational fighting kind of makes no sense compared to bodybuilding, which is probably a lot healthier. Are there any other things you find worth it as hobbies? I'll probably try skiing in the winter
>>
>>31133422
What are those prices lmao
>>
>>31133422
lifting, reading, vidya
lifting is worth because you get frens and gfs at the gym so long as you're open to being social occasionally
reading is alright it's a great pastime when you literally have nothing better to do
vidya only interests me as far as modding and the smol communities around it nowadays and you can apply yourself to skills like entry level coding, modeling, animation, writing, and texture art to see if you like it
I tried mma and all I got was sick more often because of sparing with a bunch of sweaty fags but learning how to deal with people in your face like that is kind of useful and the few women are usually nice to look at(that's literally why they're there)
hiking/camping is a good hobby to be familiar with, you can really unwind without society bothering you for a while
>>
>>31134054
>mfw not passionate at all
bleh shit sucks
>>
>>31133422
Figure skating
>$15 per session for ice time
>additional $40 when I do lessons with my coach
Piano
>$0 regularly, unless you're talking about buying a piano
Flying
>~$150 per hour
Drawing (mentioned above)
Reading (mentioned above)
Hiking
>Free, but might be a few dollars depending on the location
>this is the only hobby with social connections for me
>>
>>31134054
based smg2 enjoyer
>>
File: IMG_3769.jpg (387 KB, 1716x1597)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
>>31133422
I have tried some hobbies which are not too expensive and anyone can do, even with budget cuts.
>Piano
Been playing for a lot of years. But have had months or years where I didn’t play at all. I’m still intermediate (I’m ABSRM level 7) and have trouble with fast pieces. I could be better, but i don’t have a teacher and I don’t have the patience like before. Overall I rate 7/10. You have to be rich and autistic to truly enjoy at its fullest.
>Drawing
Wanted to draw some anime characters. Drew for 2-3 months. Did decent progress, then I traced a pic and then got btfo’d over it. And now I don’t wanna draw anymore because I hate the fags who humiliated me. It’s also very tedious and boring. 5/10
>Music prod
Am a poorfag, so I only have GarageBand. I created a song I like, but it’s just way too hard for me to understand sometimes and I don’t have enough good ideas, patience and the software to continue with it. 6/10
>lifting, intense boxing drill cardio
Did see gains but I got bored of it really fucking fast and I lost most of the muscle after quitting. Fuck lifting. It’s boring as shit. 4/10
>Sim racing
Great stuff for ppl who can’t afford irl racing. It was really fun and a lot of the skill I learned translated over to irl driving like you wouldn’t believe. Had to sell it because after a few years, it was wasting a lot of my time and I didn’t want to end up as a iracing queer. 8/10
>Cycling
Doing this right now. It’s an awesome hobby and I love going fast. I can certainly recommend it. 9/10
>fish keeping
Very cool. Although honestly, it gets old after just a few months and you actually kind of forget about it. Still have my aquarium though.

>picrel is drawing I made
>>
>>31135626
Also if I had the money and time. I would do paintball because that shit is really fucking fun. Insurgency co-op taught me a lot about positional tactics so last time I went in a paintball match, I destroyed the enemy team even though the other team looked more athletic than me
>>
>>31135626
>>31135659
Yeah, piano is top tier. Paintball is also good. I was too poor to try it as a teenager with my call of duty buddies, but now as a 27 year old got enough extra money to experience life properly
>>
>>31133422
Social dance
Absolutely worth the cost
(competitive dance is not, though)
>>
>>31133422
Personally I am getting into making dioramas.
Right now it seems kinda overpriced (though I am saving money on the bases cause I have a lot of left over styrofoam from my family). Really it seems kinda expensive, but I think that is because I don't have it down yet so I don't know what to really buy/save for.
>>
>>31133422
I write and read mainly, also vidya and lift (although I haven't been doing that much).
>>31134136
Used to but I did it for a sport. Enjoyed it in itself but burnt out after I figured out I was only doing it for women. So I wasn't getting women, and then it became something I did every now and then to stay sane.
>>
>>31135659
Did paintball during a college outing and it was so much fun. Reminded me of playing airsoft when I was younger with the boys. I will likely start doing it more often during the summer.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.