[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: coon vs dane.jpg (83 KB, 680x405)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I've noticed that the biggest breeds, be those cats or dogs, are the calmest and most phlegmatic of their species. Is there any biological reason for that or is it just a funny coincidence?
>>
>>4764634
Inverse of manlet rage
>>
>>4764643
this
>>
Draft horses too, they look big and intimidating but they're the calmest, sweetest horses, that's why they can be Budweiser mascots and go to loud sports stadiums where a lot of regular horses would spook
>>
>>4764634
The largest organisms are typically the most confident. This is in both objective and relative measure. There's a reason people say stuff like >>4764643 - men who are short feel weaker than their compatriots. Men who are bigger feel stronger than their compatriots. The same is true for animals, as if an animal feels control of its environment, it will be placid, but if it feels like it cannot control its environment, it will be neurotic.
>>
>>4764634
>be catlet or doglet
>small enough that lots of other animals can eat you, constantly anxious and on edge
>be big boi
>too big to be eaten, don't have to give a fuck and can just chill out all day
>>
>>4764634
>yjk
>>
>>4764661
>as if an animal feels control of its environment, it will be placid, but if it feels like it cannot control its environment, it will be neurotic.
The exception to this would be big wild predators right? Even if they feel in control they’ll still sperg out and try to kill you sometimes
>>
>>4764655
damn now i want a chariot with some draft horses how much for one???
>>
>>4764634
Larger brain and more executive functioning

Yes, really. Smaller dogs have significantly less executive functioning (general intelligence) below a size cutoff (around beagle/basset size) even if they are highly biddable. You can look this up. Its real. Its not size anxiety. The tiny animals are genuinely too stupid to calmly handle daily life. They do not plan and they’re always surprised and confused. Meanwhile a rough collie or akita might be more stubborn in obedience than a rat, or a literal rodent, but they also have more general awareness and self control, and can recognize and solve problems (and the lack of a problem) a lesser animal can not. The larger animal plans shit, calmly observes proceedings, and is not confused or anxious.

Hence “small dogs are good if you train them for literally fucking everything” vs “my big dog basically trained themselves”.
>>
>>4764749
They’re still animals bro. Chimps are very smart and observant but their reactions are on a hair trigger.
>>
>>4764749
>they’ll still sperg out and try to kill you sometimes
For completely different reasons. Fluffy the tiger isn't trying to kill you because he's neurotic, but because he's hungry and you look tasty.
>>
>>4764754
This is retarded and wrong.
>>
>>4764783
Sorry anon insulted your little pooch, but he's correct
>>
>>4764661
Also some small breeds (Wiener dogs, most terriers) were originally meant to chase animals like foxes or badgers out of their dens
So they were bred to be agressive and more tenacious (A sane dog would rather not deal with a corned badger)
The first pitbulls were created when they tried to make bulldogs more vicious by crossbreeding them with terriers
>>
>>4764634
Metabolic rate varies with activity level. More active animals have a higher metabolic rate than less active animals.
>>
File: 1712167716202.jpg (933 KB, 2604x4624)
933 KB
933 KB JPG
>>4764634
it's true, my MC is pretty chill even for a kitten
>>
>>4764788
I have big dogs and theyre retarded
I do notice you dont post your brainlet popsci sauces anymore since being unanimously laughed at by anon
>>
>>4764825
What?
I haven't posted any articles
Usually I link something via ddgo so the person is technically forced to look it up theirself
>>
>>4764634
agression is a much bigger issue in large breeds. a chihuahua attacking somebody isn't a big deal the way a great dane attacking somebody is so those behaviors have been bred out
>>
>>4764801
Jesus, that kitten looks like a grown up cat
>>
>>4764851
It is impossible to breed aggression out of the chihauhauas. They are all aggressive. To breed the aggression out, you would have to liquidate the whole breed. [spoiler]That would be based.[/spoiler]
>>
>>4764856
If you're worried about aggressive chihuahuas you're bitch made
>>
>>4764851
And the owners are less likely to train them properly since agression is not a big deal
Also some retards think they can keep those dogs locked up in an apartment all day just because they are small; which makes them more neurotic
>>
>>4764898
If you're worried about 30 lb dogs killing you. You're also bitch made.
>>
>>4764915
I ain't worried about nothing cause I carry everywhere
>>
>>4764655
I lived on a ranch once with a big percheron named Tony, and he was way more friendly than the quarter horses. He knew you were coming a mile away so you didn't even need to announce yourself, he'd just let you walk up and start brushing. Probably knew he could kill almost anything with a good enough kick so there's no need to worry.
>>
>>4764801
pretty kitty but wow he’s big
>>
>>4764634
They should be called Great Coon and Maine Dane.
>>
doesnt take nearly as much for a retarded chihuahua to freak out as a mastiff
>>
>>4765350
Humans chimp out, dogs chih out.
>>
You're wrong. A neapolitan mastiff is big as a lion and despite its drowsy appearance it will tear any intruder to shreds. They almost never bark and are eerily quick and silent despite their size
>>
File: Matin-Naples.jpg (48 KB, 500x353)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>4765360
Not nearly the size of a lion. Don't believe meme pictures with forced perspective, they are big dogs, but not amongst the biggest. Great Danes can grow up to 20 kg heavier than the heaviest mastiffs.
>>
>>4765366
I don't even care about internet pictures. I saw one. Ten years ago, he was tied on a pole just outside a supermarket. Me and my girlfriend were doing groceries and this beast was lazily stretching itself right in front of the entrance. I shit you not, it was so large i couldn't get past the sliding doors without stepping over it. I didn't even have a shopping cart. I knew the owner, it was a tiny old man that could ride that dog if he wanted. The cashiers had to summon him via intercom and ask him to put it somewhere else because it was unnerving the customers. When he protested the dog started barking and that's when they threatened to call the cops, so he complied.
>>
>>4765382
I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be muzzled in public. If it was, you're a huge bitch for worrying so much, if not, the shop clerks needed to call the cops in any case.
>>
>>4765392
>muzzled
Lmao here where i live is more of a suggestion than an obligation.
>>
>>4765382
Did you pet it?
>>
>>4765366
Fact is that exhibition dogs have to respect certain criteria. A mastiff that is too tall is automatically disqualified from competing, so those you see on the internet usually are the smaller ones.
>>
>>4765429
It's bad manners to pet a dog without the owner's consent. Besides, I saw what they do to overconfident people. Neapolitans are extremely loyal to their owner and often have to be restrained if you have guests.
>>
>>4765468
>I saw what they do to overconfident people.
Did you actually see it rip a motherfucker's throat out
>>
>>4765487
I read on the news about a breeder living not too far from me being eaten by his neapolitan mastiffs. Apparently his pieces were scattered all over the enclosure
>>
>>4765550
>old men with mastiffs
>mastiff breeders
>everybody shits on the law
...do you actually live in Naples?
>>
>>4765366
>Not nearly the size of a lion.
I'd bet this comes more from underestimating the size of lions. They may be the similar shoulder heights, but lions - especially African - are way longer and way more massive.
>>
>>4765581
To be more of an autist:
>Male lions grow to be 9 to 10 feet long and can weigh up to 500 pounds. Females grow to be 7 to 8 feet long and weigh between 270 and 350 pounds.
>According to Guinness World Records, the longest and heaviest dog ever recorded was Aicama Zorba of La-Susa, an Old English Mastiff owned by London resident Chris Eraclides. In 1987, Zorba weighed 343 pounds and measured 8 feet, 3 inches from nose to tail.
I'll accept another record holder, but from what I hastily searched - the largest dog on record is about the size of a large female african lion.
>>
>>4764856
if you kill the aggressive chihuahuas then those dont reproduce and the next generation will be less aggressive. Big dogs who mauled or even attempted to maul anyone would obviously be immediately shot back in the day
>>
>>4765574
I live in Campania, yes. Not exactly naples but that's the region.
>>
>>4764634
Most pet owners are retarded so large breeds being as neurotic as small breeds would cause problems
Theres a reason the most aggressive dog breed, the jack russel terrier, is tiny
Certain exceptions exist for animals bred entirely to be aggressive like shitbulls but generally thats the go
>>
File: los gatitos.png (961 KB, 808x629)
961 KB
961 KB PNG
>>4764634

My dad's MC is really chill. Our regular housecat is super sweet and affectionate and meows when someone isn't there to give her attention and will insists on snuggling up to your face but she FREAKED OUT when she first met him, whereas he was very curious, persistent and friendly. He just wanted to greet her and play, but she was scared.

He was very chill, friendly and a bit clingy from the start, but the first few days he was scared and isolated himself, but he never scratched us. Now he follows us around and I think he has separation anxiety.
>>
>>4765817
I thought that was shiba inu
>>
>>4764643
kek
>>
>>4764801
MC genes are superior and should be mixed into the general cat population more
>>
>>4766210
>ugly ogre faces
Thanks but no thanks.
>>
>>4765817
Shitbulls are part terrier so they are actually somehwat related to jack russels btw
>>
>>4765833
Super adorable
>>
>>4765657
Are there a lot of people walking around with big dogs over there? I assume it would be for ‘protection’ more often than not
>>
>>4766332
sad but true they’re not the cutest
>>
>>4765581
>Animals are measured in CM
>Humans are measured in FT
>>
>>4765581
nice silhouette on the great dane
>>
Lol anons talking about large dogs somehow being as powerful and large as a lion when the biggest in record barely reaches the weight of an average lioness. What really puts a halt on the impressiveness of such breeds is that the things die in about two thirds of a decade, after an agonizing senescence pumped full of analgesics due arthritic joints and back, also their gut can tangle like happens to herbivores. The best dogs are the medium sized ones, smart, live long, they don't eat a cow a week and they don't shit as one.
>>
>>4766459
Of course it's not for protection, it's for showing off how much of a macho man you are.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (28 KB, 240x425)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>4765581
DANED.com
>>
>>4767024
Oh. I heard that region has a decent amount of crime going on so that’s why I thought that
>>
>>4767211
Naples is a pink unicorn wonderland compared to any major US city, and it's not particularly dangerous compared to other Italian cities, either.
>>
>>4764643
gentle giant?
>>
>>4766332
there's different lines of maine coons, you're speaking of their dumb new "ron pearlman" look. the older look is softer, those lines still exist
>>
>>4767324
>Naples is a pink unicorn wonderland compared to any major US city
Well yeah I don’t think anyone’s going to dispute that lol
>>
>>4765360
>big as a lion
More like about a third the size of a lion
>>
>>4764749
not necessarily. You’re far better off with a giant Kodiak bear who isn’t afraid of anything than you are with a much smaller, constantly anxious sloth bear who’s ready to snap at any second
>>
>>4767024
Btw these dogs are really popular with women.
>>
That's bullshit Danes have lots of energy
>>
>>4767025
>>4766527
I had a terrible fucking day but this, this gave me a wonderful hearty chuckle. Thanks.
>>
Historically humans removed aggressive animals that could be a threat. A puntable animal is not a threat.
>>
>>4769915
a dog bite will eventually heal
the nerves lost to a little shit chimping out like it's going out of style are never going to be recovered
>>
>>4768678
>Large dogs are scary and are often used as a deterrent to violent criminals regardless of whether they're trained guard dogs or not
>They're also popular with women
The dots are right there to be connected.
>>
>>4767324
Damn whats going on in Memphis?
Incorrect answers only
>>
>>4770351
Jazz/blues subgenre gangwars
>>
>>4770351
Fried chicken/bbq pork restaurant mafias
>>
>>4770351
The curse of the pharaohs.
>>
>>4764634
>>4764655
it's basically
>>4765089
>Probably knew he could kill almost anything with a good enough kick so there's no need to worry.

The smaller/weaker you are, the harder you need to compensate with exaggerated aggression and the more stressed you are as a result. The bigger/stronger you are, the more confidently and easily you can handle any threat and the more relaxed you are as a result. If you knew that you could kill anyone just by thinking about it, you would have very little worry. If you knew that anyone else could kill you just by thinking about it, you'd be insane with worry.
>>
>>4772557
>muh muh muh muh muh cortical neurons
Humans have less of those than whales. Go fuck your dog.
>>
>>4772557
the chow chow figure on wikipedia is so low i'd bet on them fucking up the test more than anything

>>4772726
humans have a larger prefrontal cortex, relative to body size, and better organized, more regularly structured brains. whales just have an outgrowth in their paralimbic system that corresponds to sensory processing.

that's why we're smart, and stone age people were engineering acoustically functional architecture for religious reasons, and whales top out at swimming under a thin sheet of ice at the same time to rock it with waves until it breaks.
>>
>>4772843
>Smarter
They automatically do this, no cognition involved. All termites. You can hatch them in isolation to ensure no knowledge is passed on, generation after generation, put them back in the dirt and they do this. Their mounds or ordered mathematically and constructed according to simple rules.

The creation of acoustically functional architecture is not innate to humans. One has to discover it and teach the others. If that stops, no one knows anymore.

>>4772841
For one, they would be able to effectively free each other from fishing nets. They might even be able to figure out how to dig holes and store meat, and un-beach their friends, but they don't have any reasons to be smarter, hence they aren't.
>>
>>4772867
But they keep getting stuck on beaches so maybe they're just learning to wriggle around as long as the tide isn't too low
>>
>>4772843
those things do get pretty impressive though
>>
>>4772871
If they were smart they'd accept some paunful tail biting dragging them back in the ocean as preferable to dying on a beach. A really smart whale still in the water might even try digging under their friend to get the sand to soften and let their buddy slip back in, if possible. They never do anything like this.

You could even say... if they were smart, they'd stop beaching themselves.
>>
>put 10 humans in whale bodies
>hey what if i get beached?
>wriggle really hard and try and undulate backwards?
>SHIT ITS NOT WORKING, I'M HEAVIER OUT OF WATER HOW
>DIG UNDER ME
>NAH MAN THIS HURTS MY FACE
>you have 9 humans in whale bodies
>they steal nets and fashion a sort of rope harness to wear while hunting near beaches
>if one gets stuck they pull them back in

>put 10 whales in human bodies
>they stroll around the mall screaming "FRED WHERES FRED" "FREDS THIS WAY COME FIND ME" and stealing hot dogs
>>
>>4765581
>70-92cm
>significantly more than half the height of the human (182cm)
I think whoever made this image is an idiot
>>
>>4772859
>acoustically functional architecture
lol wat ?
my translation app is not helping me here
>>
>>4765581
why is the great dane the only one with a cock silhouette ?
>>
>>4772843
It's so gorgeous, like a fantasy castle. It invites you to explore its passages.
>>
>>4773263
Because it's the only black silhouette.

>>4773260
I'm a native speaker and I have no idea either.
>>
>>4773598
How do termites still exist if ants out-compete them this hard?
>>
>>4764661
rotties are kinda insane tho

also dominant males in their environment can be super territorial and attack unprovoked (specially close to the breeding season)
>>
>>4764634
She would let that dog do unimaginable things to her.
>>
>>4772843
Bugwarts
>>
>>4773295
like yeah what the fuck would you do if you were in a whale body?

but i dont think they're nearly as smart as us because they've tried to teach young dolphins and shit and they don't show any signs of being capable of anyhing that would ascend them above other smart animals
>>
>>4773295
Enough tension around the head would suffice for nudging a beached comrade out of the sand until they could free themselves.

Maybe they could grab sticks with their mouths and try digging. Have they ever tried? No.
>>
>>4773791
Ants don't always win and termites play the long game.
>>
>>4773260
I think he means designing a place in such a way to enhance the auditory properties of the structure. Like how the Greek amphitheaters would naturally amplify the voices of the people on the stage to the higher rows.
>>
>>4774422
There are also similar underground temples built in the neolithic, designed so a chanting shaman could be heard in every chamber.

No other animal does shit like this, on purpose, with no instinctive basis. Illiterate humans reasoned out how to maximize echoes.
>>
>>4774334
So this is the Chinese wizarding school Rowling declined to write about...
>>
>>4774431
Ehh, you don't want to essentialize what it means to be a developed species so semantically. Some frogs sculpt the mud they lounge in to amplify their magic calls, and even crickets use acoustic parts of the ground to amplify their chirping.
>>
File: 9gvlihf1sop11.jpg (114 KB, 1000x708)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>4773791
Termites can quickly replenish their populations with help from agriculture, whereas ants always need to forage.
>>
>>4770351
Whites are out of control
>>
>>4774431
Don't project your contemporary knowledge onto them. People had been building structures of all shapes and sizes for thousands of years until they stumbled upon the most functional designs by accident and began reproducing them. Cultural development is not unlike evolution.
>>
Speaking of Greece specifically, it's a rocky country with a plenty of sinkholes created by erosion that can serve as natural amphitheatres. It stand to reason that they first held their meetings there, and then started reproducing them artificially in their towns.
>>
File: norwegian-forest-cat.jpg (94 KB, 863x625)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>4766332
What about Norwegian Forest cats? They're also big but they're pretty cute.
>>
>>4774470
As far as I know, these cats actually originate from Turkey of all place kek
>>
>>4766332
They look strong and proud of thier power. When you think about feline erotica you want a MC to mount a typical cute faced tabby
>>
great danes are very ugly
>>
>>4767457
This, most coons look like picrel, its only the ugly ones that become internet memes for obvious reasons.
>>
>>4774593
Only female coons look like that
>>
>>4774577
literal gigachad lol
>>
>>4774577
YO LIL DONNY
I JUST TOOK A SHIT ON THE CARPET FOR NO REASON
HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES???
>>
>>4774472
They don’t? They have possible ancestors from Russia/Turkey
>>4774593
Looks pretty
>>4774577
>>4774606
>>4774626
Looks memeish
>>
>>4774447
incredible funny post
>>4774453
bad meme post
>>
>>4775268
They are the descendants of cats the Varangian Guard (personal bodyguards of the Byzantine emperor, recruited from the Norse) brought back with them to Norway.
>>
>>4764643
yeah small dogs tend to be aggressive as shit
>>
If small dogs live in a state of constant stress caused by their stature, why is their breeding not restricted like that of dachshunds? I'm frankly not sure whether joint pain is worse than existential suffering.
>>
>>4774606
Why does this nigga look like he about to talk in a deep british accent about some fantasy lore

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.