[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Daffodil.jpg (1.56 MB, 2865x2788)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
73% East Frisian, 13% Cotswold, 8.5% Lacaune, 6.5% Polypay.

birthed as a triplet. from a line that tends towards trips. bred for exceptional milk production and with focus on bag health genetics. she is of their finest wool line, among their non-wool (dairy) breeds, thus the incorporation of Polypay and Cotswold.

she will be bottle fed by us to raise her tame. 10 days old when we pick her up. fed/raised by her mum till we arrive.

she will be bred to our white Lacaune/Awassi/Frisian ram next spring.

this is the final off-premises ewe we will purchase for many years. she completes the genetic profile and diversity of our dairy flock.

truly an amazing tri-purpose animal to have. this is the pinnacle of our self-sufficient food chain.
>>
Who is weirder:
Horse people
Guinea pig people
Corn snake people
Goat people
>>
>>4776532
tough choice
>>
>>4776543
For my money, corn snake people are the worst. They breed a white snake and act like it's the second coming of Christ. They also breed two-headed snakes which is just a blatant affront to God.
>>
>>4776532

Good thing we raise sheep.

but to answer the question: Snake people in general are the worst. neckbeard type.

goats are awful. destructive escapists.

our only like-minded homestead friend keeps telling us "You should get milking goats!!" ummm... why? we raise ***DAIRY*** sheep. just for the record, she and her husband live on a 1/8 acre city neighborhood lot.
>>
>>4776527
Prime sheepussy
>>
>>4776527
Weird looking dog
>>
>>4776532
Tied for horse and goat people. Sheep people who eat them also weird me out. Of all the herbivores, sheep, goats, and horses have the most active and self determined minds. You can raise chickens, cattle, and swine without feeling guilty about eating them but if you get to know a sheep/horse/goat they are disturbingly alive inside.

>but aren't pigs smart?
They are, but they have no soul.
>>
>>4776527
this is why i always tell people you get better women with a pickup than a sports car. happy for you, always love finding new stock for my breeding projects too.
>>
File: 1690652220236510.webm (1.65 MB, 720x900)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB WEBM
>>4776702
people who say this shit never interacted with livestock.
Every livestock can essentially be like a dog, if you feel guilty over sheep you should feel guilty over cows. Except for chickens, fucking dinosaurs.
>>
>>4776730
i'm mostly anti-mammal eating, i'm not a fag about it and will eat beef when offered but won't go out of my way to slaughter a cow/goat/sheep/pig. Birds are fucking retarded though and transforming them into livestock is revenge for dinosaurs keeping our ancestors in evolutionary ELO hell as nocturnal vermin for millions of years.
>>
>>4776702

we name them, raise then with love and respect. pamper them, breed them, milk them, and eat them.

you look in our chest freezers, you will see butcher paper wrapped cuts labeled "Carl, leg" or "Rufus, sirloin" "Carrie, Chuck roast" etc...

one Thanksgiving, we printed and framed a photo of Ferdinand, our Bourbon Red turkey, and set it on the table on a "In Loving Memory" place mat.

it's OK to eat your friends.
>>
>>4776730
>Cows are just dogs bro!
But they aren't. They have a short period of brain activity but experience near total braindeath as they age to the point where you can walk around harassing or even slaughtering them without the rest of the cows reacting. You've never been around cows, you've watched videos of calves. They are like sponges. Motile larva, literally brainless adult. The only time the cows will turn on you is if you have a dog, because their lower lizard brain instinct responds to that smell and general visual pattern, like a killer robot.

Pigs definitely aren't dogs. Little psychopaths will eat your dog if they fall asleep. And you. And their own children.
>>
>>4776639
I was considering dairy sheep for my fantasy future homestead but the upkeep with all their shearing seems like such a pain in the ass. Is it worth it? Goats just sound easier to me.
>>
>>4776741
but sheep are pretty doggy, really, no matter how old they get you can even play fetch with them
>>
File: 1711278774165623.webm (2.86 MB, 720x404)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>4776741
You've only been around cows stuck in their factory prison cells. I've been around cows in free range farms.

>>4776742
you only shear sheep 2 times a year at most. How is that a pain in the ass? grooming a dog takes more maintenance.
>>
>>4776742

Sheep > Goats

goats will destroy your homestead. they will conquer and destroy your fencing... ALL OF IT. when they do, they will then eat your garden... ALL OF IT. then, they will get bored and eat the siding off of your hoose, and climb on your wife's subaru.

with Sheep, the milk is better. they produce aboot 1/3 less than a dairy goat, but see paragraph above. both animals produce good meat. they are both quite different from one another, but they are equal in quality. wool is what pushes it across the line for Sheep.

homesteading is all about multiple purpose functions. finding items/livestock/skills that are good for many things, but excellent at very few.
>>
>>4776744
Yeah that's where i've been around cows

Cows are fucking retards. I'm convinced rats are actually smarter. Horses, on the other hand, I believe are actually too smart to be pets.
>>
File: 1673754128178981.jpg (650 KB, 840x3401)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
>>4776532
>>
>>4776734
based archosaur hater
>>
>autists wake up
>thread goes to shit
clockwork
>>
>>4776744
>How is that a pain in the ass?
>hiring someone to herd your sheep
>hiring someone to shear your sheep
Bevause unless you have a huge herd of 100+ sheep, doing those things yourself is unnecessary.
>>4776751
Wheras with goats it just seems like all you need to do is invest in good fencing, considering I know people who have goats and all their issues with goats escaping stopped once they invested in actually good fencing.
I don't need wool, and selling it isn't worth it. The only thing that would possibly shove it over the edge is cheese. Ewe cheese is very good but man, can't beat a good soft goats cheese.
Goats for me anon. Thanks for helping me make the right decision.
>>
>>4776841
I'm not expecting someone to own 100+ sheep for his own needs only, 5-10 at best is enough for personal use and that's not that bad for shearing. You could even learn to do it yourself with electric shears.
>>
>>4776841
Why would you want a sheep if not for wool

The meat sucks, the milk's just "sustenance", and as pets they're kind of like a dumber dog but dirty and smelly forever. No one eats sheep anymore for a reason, if you want good food you get chickens and eat the roosters.
>>
>>4776892
living lawnmower
>>
>>4776751
Ok but which one is a better lay?
>>
>>4776892

I disagree, obviously.

while the meat is probably an acquired taste, I have always liked it. moving forward, it will be the only red meat we eat, excepting wild game.

the milk is wonderful. the best thing aboot it is that it's not noticeably different from coo's milk. if you were not told, you probably wouldn't notice. it also has a higher cream content and is naturally homogenized. which can be a plus or a minus. you can't just seperate the cream overnight. you have to use a mechanical separator.

then there is the wool. probably the easiest as most profitable product they produce... because our country puts cumbersome restrictions on the unlicensed sale and transfer of meat and dairy.
>>
>>4776758
this is bait
horses are dumber than bricks
>>
>>4776889
>You could even learn to do it yourself with electric shears.
Is that what you're going to do?
>>
>>4776988
Horses are smarter than you might think, they're just very flighty prey animals and spook at literally everything that could even be perceived as a threat
>>
>>4777051

we shear our own sheep.

not that difficult. we are still 2nd year amateurs, but it only takes us 15 min per sheep.
>>
File: daffodil 1st.jpg (914 KB, 1079x1434)
914 KB
914 KB JPG
Achievement Unlocked
>>
>>4776702
Hah! I've been pushing for the legal cannibalism of gingers since the 80s!

>>4776986
Whichever is easiest to catch. Leaves more time for pillow talk.

But as for >>4776532; name anyone who ain't a little weird about their animals. But anyone breeding shitty unhealthy genes into unnatural monstrosities for cuteness are... Well, I wouldn't feed those kind to my dogs for fear of my dogs catching Deebeeg'eh.
>>
>>4776527
>>4778302
Gratz, goat is cute and sounds pretty awesome. Gib pats for me.
>>
File: اهدي.jpg (657 KB, 1079x812)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
>>4778357

Danke. Sheep, though, not goat. we just got home aboot an hour ago. long day. many miles.
>>
File: Penelope, Butch & Noodle.jpg (509 KB, 1078x1281)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>
>>4778725
keep the ewe safe
>>
>>4778726
Is the dog your livestock guard? What a good dog. He's got a 9-5. He just like me fr.
>>
>>4778749

yes. he us our homestead and flock guardian.

he's on duty 22hrs/day. we bring him in to charge for 2 hours.
>>
File: Lenny & Cinnamon.jpg (1.06 MB, 1079x1436)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>
>>4776527
Pet her!
>>
>>4776527
Based self sufficiant anon
>>4776532
Cringe internet brainrot city slicker
>>
File: Shawarma Chestfeeding.jpg (1.95 MB, 3024x3712)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
We got her to feed on the drive home yesterday. 8oz total. 90% of that was at 17:00 aboot 1.5 hr before we got home.

we let her settle in and relax from travel while we did farm chores, made dinner and showered. we fed her again at 22:00 then went to bed. she slept all the way through the night. not a peep until 6:00.

everything looks great today. she seems happy and hungry. fed her 6oz at 7:15.

I'm off to work. wife will care for her during the days, I can help evenings.

the trip, purchase, total combined expenses and baby bottle care is/will be stressful, but it should all work out. the risky part is behind us.

Live For More. Thrive On Less. Become Self-Sufficient.
>>
>>4778725
D'oh! Sorry, was thinking about the >>4776532
question.
>>
File: Merch ddrwg.jpg (3.08 MB, 4032x2989)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
Our trepidation has been assuaged. day 2 at her new home. she enthuastically drains bottles. she is energetic and seems to be calming down aboot the goings on in the hoose. she is still skiddish, at times of sudden movement, as a prey animal, but she seems to be adjusting.

she will stay inside our hoose, in a kennel, in The Great Room, for at least another week. we want her to be sturdy and strong before she goes in with her sister-wives.
>>
>>4776734
I just wish chicken tasted better.
>>
>>4776527
This is how I talk about my tinder dates

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.